Fall TV Preview

New Girl Scoop: Look Who's Playing Jess' Folks!

If you’ve ever wondered just what blend of genes created New Girls quirky Jess, you’re about to find out.

Rob Reiner and Jamie Lee Curtis have been cast as Bob and Joan, parents of Zooey Deschanel‘s Jess, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on New Girl and 46 Other Shows

We’ll meet Mom and Dad Day in the Thanksgiving episode, when Jess attempts to get her divorced folks to reunite, Parent Trap-style. (Though the show apparently chose to go a different route from TVLine’s suggestions, we have to say: We approve.)

As previously reported, Rob Riggle will also show up for Turkey Day.

RELATEDNew Girl Season 2: Carla Gugino to Play Schmidt’s S&M-Minded Boss!

Reiner, who in recent years has spent more time directing and producing projects than starring in them, had his last TV role in 2010 on NBC’s 30 Rock. Curtis, who played a dorky-but-lovable lady rebounding from a breakup on ABC’s early-’90s Anything But Love, was Gibbs’ love interest Samantha last season on NCIS.

Comments (22)

• Aww, they are great, but they should have gotten Caled & Mary Jo Deschanel! :)

Comment by Tracy – September 14, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Jamie Lee Curtis !!

Comment by Manny – September 14, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really like this casting…I have a hard time taking Jamie Lee Curtis seriously acting anymore since she does all of those joke yogurt commercials.

Comment by Sarah – September 14, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent casting. Just because a person makes commercials doesn’t mean they can’t act.

Comment by Laurie Mann – September 14, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Salmonius!

Comment by Kissane – September 14, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh this is going to be exciting :3

Comment by Pearl – September 14, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever keeps JLC off of NCIS works for me.

Comment by Stormy – September 14, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This comment made my night. So true she was not a well cast love interest especially when my mind always went to freaky Friday.

Comment by Annalise – September 15, 2012 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED!! Just can’t figure out how they ever thought she’d be a good love interest for Gibbs. Had a hard time liking him while she was around. She is SO annoying >.<

Comment by Cottage101 – September 17, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rob reiner. Love the show but hes a joke and it is ashame that anyone would give him work.

Comment by tommu – September 14, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ughhh….maybe he can try to foist a new tax on bacterial yogurt. Strange casting for sure.

Comment by Dee – September 14, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Marlo Thomas can still play Jess’s quirky grandma someday, right?

Comment by J – September 14, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jess’s mom is White Abed!!!

Comment by João Amaral – September 14, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this SO much!

Comment by Beth – September 14, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know, I like both actors, but they just don’t seem like they’d create the quirky girl Jess is.

Comment by Rain – September 15, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh I was hoping for Woody Alllen and Diane Keaton ever since TV line released their “picks” to play Jess’ parents. (I’m delirious but I actually believed that could happen)

Comment by Tathi – September 15, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still sad Leslie Mann won’t be guest starring. But yay for JLC.

Comment by C'mon, that's right. – September 15, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my goodness, so thrilled it’s Rob, That news actually made me smile broadly. Love Jamie too and hopefully they’ll make her really funny. I was anticipating terrible actors so very pleased to be wrong!

Comment by Tootz – September 15, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool casting

Comment by Patti – September 16, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i luv New girl but the new casting not so much

Comment by Alessandra Quinatnila – December 24, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post