TVLine Items: Genie Francis Out at Y&R, Showtime Orders Sporty 60 Minutes and More!
Daytime Emmy winner Genie Francis has been let go from the CBS soap, CBS Soaps In Depth has learned. “Budgetary reasons” are reportedly behind the firing, though a spokesperson for the series tells TVLine that the show does “not comment on contracts, rumors or storyline information.”
The suds vet first joined Y&R in early 2011 as Cane’s long-estranged mother Genevieve. The gig, however short-lived, reunited Francis with her former GH co-star Tristan Rogers, who joined the soap as her character’s bitter ex-husband.
So, could Francis’ axing mean potentially good news for fans of famed Port Charles lovebirds Luke and Laura? General Hospital showrunner Frank Valentini addressed the possibility of the actress returning to her iconic role last month, sharing, “I’ll just say we’re big fans of Genie’s and we wish her all the best — but I think we’re pretty solid right now.”
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Showtime is getting in the 60 Minutes biz with 60 Minutes of Sports, a monthly news series centering on — what else? — sports. The CBS newsmagazine’s correspondents, including Scott Pelley, Lara Logan and Steve Kroft, will be featured on the program, which launches in November.
• President Barack Obama will visit the Late Show with David Letterman on Tuesday, Sept 18, his second appearance since his election in 2008.
• Seth MacFarlane takes the stage this weekend as host of Saturday Night Live‘s Season 38 premiere, and based on these new promos, the Family Guy boss is already game for anything. Press PLAY below to watch Kenan Thompson and MacFarlane poke fun at the animated master’s frequent (and oft criticized) use of flashbacks within his many series.
• Entourage alumna Perrey Reeves has landed a lead role in NBC’s drama pilot The Secret Lives Of Husbands And Wives, Deadline reports. From Jerry Bruckheimer, the primetime soap centers on secrets, lies and murder within a group of three suburban couples. Reeves joins as one half of a couple, a flirty, tightly-wound woman.
• TLC has renewed its Say Yes to the Dress offshoot Randy to the Rescue for a second season.
• Dylan Baker (The Good Wife) has joined ABC’s midseason drama Zero Hour, TVGuide.com reports. The thriller stars Anthony Edwards (ER) as an editor at a skeptics’ magazine who is pulled into a major conspiracy when his wife is kidnapped. Baker plays an FBI agent with ties to said conspiracy.
• Logo has unveiled a first look at RuPaul’s All Stars Drag Race, which bows Oct. 22. Take a peek below at Raven, Chad Michaels and more in action.
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?