TVLine Items: Genie Francis Out at Y&R, Showtime Orders Sporty 60 Minutes and More!

Genie Francis The Young and the RestlessWill Young and the Restless‘ loss be General Hospital‘s gain?

Daytime Emmy winner Genie Francis has been let go from the CBS soap, CBS Soaps In Depth has learned. “Budgetary reasons” are reportedly behind the firing, though a spokesperson for the series tells TVLine that the show does “not comment on contracts, rumors or storyline information.”

The suds vet first joined Y&R in early 2011 as Cane’s long-estranged mother Genevieve. The gig, however short-lived, reunited Francis with her former GH co-star Tristan Rogers, who joined the soap as her character’s bitter ex-husband.

RELATED | Steve Burton Quits General Hospital: ‘I Know the Timing’s Not the Best, But…. It’s Time to Go’

So, could Francis’ axing mean potentially good news for fans of famed Port Charles lovebirds Luke and Laura? General Hospital showrunner Frank Valentini addressed the possibility of the actress returning to her iconic role last month, sharing, “I’ll just say we’re big fans of Genie’s and we wish her all the best — but I think we’re pretty solid right now.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Showtime is getting in the 60 Minutes biz with 60 Minutes of Sports, a monthly news series centering on — what else? — sports. The CBS newsmagazine’s correspondents, including Scott Pelley, Lara Logan and Steve Kroft, will be featured on the program, which launches in November.

• President Barack Obama will visit the Late Show with David Letterman on Tuesday, Sept 18, his second appearance since his election in 2008.

• Seth MacFarlane takes the stage this weekend as host of Saturday Night Live‘s Season 38 premiere, and based on these new promos, the Family Guy boss is already game for anything. Press PLAY below to watch Kenan Thompson and MacFarlane poke fun at the animated master’s frequent (and oft criticized) use of flashbacks within his many series.

RELATED | Saturday Night Live‘s Jay Pharoah to Replace Fred Armisen as President Obama

• Entourage alumna Perrey Reeves has landed a lead role in NBC’s drama pilot The Secret Lives Of Husbands And Wives, Deadline reports. From Jerry Bruckheimer, the primetime soap centers on secrets, lies and murder within a group of three suburban couples. Reeves joins as one half of a couple, a flirty, tightly-wound woman.

• TLC has renewed its Say Yes to the Dress offshoot Randy to the Rescue for a second season.

• Dylan Baker (The Good Wife) has joined ABC’s midseason drama Zero Hour, TVGuide.com reports. The thriller stars Anthony Edwards (ER) as an editor at a skeptics’ magazine who is pulled into a major conspiracy when his wife is kidnapped. Baker plays an FBI agent with ties to said conspiracy.

• Logo has unveiled a first look at RuPaul’s All Stars Drag Race, which bows Oct. 22. Take a peek below at Raven, Chad Michaels and more in action.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Dani says:

Thankful that Genie Francis is finally out at Y&R. Now she needs to get back to GH – where she belongs!

• Nina says:

Agreed!!! It’s her home.

• Bob says:

I think this pretty much sums up her chances of returning to GH: “Frank Valentini addressed the possibility of the actress returning to her iconic role last month, sharing, “I’ll just say we’re big fans of Genie’s and we wish her all the best — but I think we’re pretty solid right now.” There was no love lost between her and the producers of GH when she last left, even if they have a completely different set of people in charge.

2. TW says:

It was widely known that new exec producer Jill Faren Phelps and Genie are not best buds. No surprise she’s a goner. How much longer until Y&R is a goner?

• Pat Graney says:

I think Genie Francis’ character on Y&R was pretty boring and useless, though – wonder if they’re planning something dramatic and killing her off? And maybe do a GOOD murder mystery this time, not that beyond-pathetic crap with Maura West as Diane.

3. nick1372 says:

It’s an interesting idea for CBS to put a spin-off of one of its series on a premium network that it owns, but 60 Minutes? A better show to spin off would be NCIS (NCIS: NY, NCIS: Chicago, etc.)

• Tom says:

Yeah they haven’t done that before…

• ed says:

why would CBS make a spin off for their number 1 show and then put it on cable?? 60 minutes makes sense though since CBS owns showtime and showtime also airs another CBS spin off: big brother after dark.

• nick1372 says:

CBS and Showrime are owned by the same company. They don’t care where the money comes from. CBS doesn’t really need the big boost a bigger NCIS franchise would bring, but Showtime does. Do the math:

NCIS: LA averages around 9% of US Households, while NCIS averages about 12%. If 3/4 of the audience of the original watches a spin-off right after the original airs, so probably about 1/2 would watch it anywhere. That’s now 6%. Half of those people would probably be willing to pay for it, so 3% of households in the US will be watching. That’s MONSTER ratings for Showtime. 22% of the US already has Showtime, so 2.34% of American houses will likely have a new Showtime subscription if this plan ever works. 2.34% x 114,200,000 US Households = 2,672,280 new sunscriptions. 2,672,280 x approx. $20 a month = $53,445,600 a month. I’m sure you’d like that money.

• nick1372 says:

I didn’t say that. I meant, why not enlarge the franchise and move the spin-off to another channel?

4. L says:

Genie Francis looks fab.

5. DL says:

I found that SNL promo really amusing. Looking forward to this weekend’s premiere!

6. Jennifer says:

Why is it EVERY single time she leaves or is let go from a show the autopilot answer is “oh, she NEEDS to go back to GH”. I don’t even watch the show and I see this constantly. Either keep her on the damn show or keep her off.

• Iwishyouwell says:

What in the world are you talking about? Genie Francis hasn’t been a contract player on GH in a decade, and fans have been clamoring for her to be for that entire time. Y&R is the first show she’s been on since leaving GH. What the heck do you mean “EVERY single time she leaves or is let go from a show”?

7. DavidSask says:

I am glad Genie is gone from Y&R she was ridiculously written on show and everyone knew once JIll took over production she was a goner, lets hope Cane and all of his family say goodbye, and bring back the queen JILL!

8. DavidSask says:

Cane’s sister plot on Y&R needs to be shelved as well!!!

9. Jennifer says:

I cannot believe they got rid of Genie Francis she is such an amazing talent and I have loved the character of Genevieve! Genevieve was such a complex character and she was so exciting to watch. Genie did an awesome job in this role!!

10. Maria says:

I have watched Y&R since the very beginning. Genie Francis brought literally nothing to the mix. She began her stint there as a “mystery woman” and had her “mystery accent” which faded away within weeks. It was and is a totally lame story line and I agree. Get rid of Cane, Lily, Genevieve. The role of Harmony has also been ended. These story lines never go anywhere since the death of Dursilla. Oh boy…….she’ll be back I suppose so they can find a way to keep Neil the heel in the mix. What is wrong with using one’s imagination? Victor AGAIN has lost his memory. SMH….

11. Wendy says:

Thankful that Genie will be gone from the Y&R. Will her charater be repalced, or forgotten?

12. Wendy says:

The Y&R has been dragging it’s heels for about 3 months now. Victor’s gone as far as I’m concerned (during his vacation time in August) and now he is back as a teamster that doesn’t make the grade! I have been a long time viewer of the Y&R and these last few months have been completely boring…..Does anyone really care about Paul and Ricky, as I don’t? Whatever happened to Adam? I liked him, and the regulars….Are they all taking vacations now, during the summer? Autumn is beginning September 22nd, so I hope this soap gets better or I will dump it altogether….I’m tired of Phyllis and her problems and her awful hair color change…(darker as her character gets darker). I am interested in Daisy and in Sharon and in Jack and his ex-wife Nikki…..They have good characters but “the writing is slipping fast” and they are focusing on the dead beats….instead of the shining characters…

13. I love Genie Francis in whatever she plays in. She is a wonderful actress in my opinion. I always loved her as Laura in General Hospital and still lover her as Genevieve in Y&R. I have also loved watching her in several movies over the years. She is a beautiful, talented person. I will hate to see her leave this soap. If she goes back to GH I will still watch her, I just hope they bring Laura’s character out of the mental hospital and have her play a talented, beautiful and very vivacious Laura and reunites with her love Luke in the show. She definitely deserves it!!

14. Pam says:

Genie Francis is one of the best moves Y and R has made in a long time…she and Michelle
    Stafford and the actor who plays Michael Baldwin?(cant think of his name right now) are the best actors in soap opera..they could easily go into prime time tv..You go Genie..ur the best!

15. Nicole Findlay says:

I am a big fan of “Y&R”here in Australia and was very disappointed to learn that Eileen Davidson had once again been FIRED ftom the show and bcause of that they have also let go of Marcy Rylan.I dont really care about the other characters leaving as they weren’t part of the “main” chsracters.
    However, I am TOTALLY DEVASTATED that Ronn Moss and Susan Flannery have decided to leave B&B! That show WILL NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT THOSE TWO MAIN CHARACTRRS

16. Habibi says:

I just couldnt depart your internet site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard details an individual offer for your visitors? Is gonna be back frequently in order to inspect new posts