Ratings: Go On Going Strong, The New Normal Steady, Parenthood and The Voice Dip

Get More: Premieres, Ratings

The news was good-ish for NBC on Tuesday night, as Matthew Perry’s Go On, with its second episode, retained out of The Voice 9.6 million total viewers and a 3.4 demo rating.

Though obviously down sharply from its post-Olympics premiere, Go On‘s viewership marks the most watched regularly scheduled NBC comedy bow since My Name Is Earl and the highest-rated one since Outsourced. The demo number also represents a 42-percent improvement on NBC’s average in the Tuesdays-at-9 half-hour versus a year ago.

Leading out of Go On, The New Normal drew 7 mil and a 2.5, on par with its Monday “sneak preview.”

RELATED | Parenthood Recap: Is Everybody Lovin’ Ray Romano…? (Because We Kinda Liked Him)

Bookending NBC’s night, The Voice (11.3 mil/3.9) dipped 7 percent from Monday’s Season 3 opener, while Parenthood returned to 5.6 mil and a 1.9 — down 33 and 17 percent from its year-ago premiere but flat in the demo and up in audience from the show’s February finale.

The So You Think You Can Dance performance finale, with 4.3 mil and a 1.5, matched the program’s most recent numbers.

RELATED | So You Think You Can Dance Performance Finale Recap: Ballet Down the Law

Sons of Anarchy‘s (mighty) premiere numbers can be found here.

Comments (38)

• I have to say that I was kind of disappointed by yesterday’s Parenthood premiere. It was kind of flat and I don’t like the way the old storylines were kind of swept under the carpet. I love Parenthood but there was definitely something missing from yesterday’s episode.

Comment by Ally Oop – September 12, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed; what happened with Amber / Bob Little?

Comment by SL – September 12, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They broke it off abruptly at the end of last season, if I remember correctly. The finale was the one that felt off….they closed all the story arcs too quickly because the writers probably didn’t think they would get a fourth season.

Comment by Ann – September 12, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serous that was a great premiere, season 3 was kind of underwhelming. Season 4 started with a bang.

Comment by Kolt – September 12, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, I totally enjoyed Parenthood’s premier and am very sad more people don’t watch it. When the theme music came on, it made me just a little verklempt. Oh how I have missed the Bravermans. I thought Ray Romano played a great grumpy old guy. I’m anxious to see where they take his and Lauren Graham’s storyline.

Comment by Melly – September 13, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you. I did love how Ray offered to Photoshop out Jr. – LOL

Comment by L – September 12, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely!! It was really dull. :(

Comment by Ash – September 12, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not really sure what episode you were watching…..I loved it. I love everything this show does, and if that episode fell short to anyone tonight’s should make up for it because the ending shocked me, broke my heart, and omg the emotions this show brings…they can’t be faked. And that’s why I love this show, it all just has so much heart and feels real.

Comment by Beary – September 18, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think a lot of people realized that Parenthood was back last night. All these return shows with so many scattered dates, it’s crazy to keep up!

Comment by RandomSprinkles – September 12, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I posted on Facebook last night that Parenthood was coming up, and a bunch of my friends said they didn’t realize it was back yet. I believe it’s the first of the returning scripted shows, so I think people just didn’t expected to be starting this soon (especially since it doesn’t have a full-season order). People generally don’t expect the returning scripted shows to start up again until after The Emmys.

Comment by TV Gord – September 12, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One thing that might help Parenthood is putting on an hour earlier. I never did understand why NBC puts on at ten, when that’s usually reserved for crime shows, which clearly Parenthood is not.

Goodbye Haddie Bravermen, you will be missed.

Comment by robinepowell – September 12, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why expose it to more competition? Look at what happened to Law & Order SVU when NBC moved it to 9pm… The ratings sank. It would happen to Parenthood as well – the show would probably drop to Harry’s Law type numbers.
      NBC doesn’t have a SINGLE drama that can be a strong 9pm performer. They once again sacrificed SVU to give Chicago Fire a somewhat solid lead-in, but I don’t think there’s anybody in their right mind who believes that show will be a hit.
      The only other drama airing on NBC at 9pm is Grimm, which is on a Friday, and that’s a whole different story.
      It’s best for Parenthood to stay put, because any kind of scheduling change will instantly kill it. If the show can sustain the 1.9 A18-49 rating throughout its season, it could get a fifth season. And also, a 20 episode fifth season would give the show enough episodes for syndication, so NBC might be more inclined to renew it even if the ratings aren’t that great.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – September 12, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is NBC doing? I love all things television and yet have no idea when their new shows are coming on. Go On had it’s second episode?? When did the first premiere? A month ago after the Olympics? That will keep viewers interested. I don’t understand the staggered premiere thing, and I think it will backfire.

Comment by Elf – September 12, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The premiere episodes have been available OnDemand and on Hulu and other places online all month.

Comment by Rob – September 12, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first episode was also aired again on Monday.

Comment by TV Gord – September 12, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think NBC is going to repeat the pilot episode of Go On again on Friday. Set your dvr.

Comment by Ann – September 12, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I was amazed that they were throwing the premieres all over the place. Thank goodness for DVR — hopefully it doesn’t confuse as much as I do!

Comment by Jessica – September 12, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dont know what the complains are about, NBC has been very active in promoting theri shows premiere. Even go as far as allowing viewers to watch the pilots of some of their new shows early, they have literally hundreds of promos of Parenthood and other shows. who does that. Thats pretty awesome of this network. I only watch parenthood so far, I’m considering moving to this network for my entertainment purposes

Comment by Kolt – September 12, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They may be promoting their shows but NBC is my least watched network (along with many other people) ~ so I haven’t seen any of them. But I did see the Go On premier on Monday, although the Summer finale/fall premier calendar I printed from tvline had the premier on Tuesday. Glad we had the Voice on and saw it was premiering Monday.

Comment by Vi – September 12, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss an episode of Go On? I watched the pilot after the Olympics but it seems like I missed an epi.

Comment by tp – September 12, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They aired the pilot during the Olympics, that reran it on Monday, and then aired episode 2 last night. Episode 3 is next Tuesday. ;)

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – September 12, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didn’t miss anything then. So how does Steven (Cho)know George (blind man)?

Comment by tp – September 12, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame about Parenthood it’s a great show and the only of its kind currently on tv. Great ensemble cast and I am a huge Lauren Graham fan, she can do no wrong. Love the little subtle moments on the show and teared up when Haddie hugged her parents one last time and at her convo with Max. Great show.

Comment by Nikkiqm – September 12, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I watched Go On both Monday and Tuesday and I have to admit, it was a little dry….ok, I’m telling my age (though I was a kid at the time) this show reminds me too much of “Dear John”…only instead of the wife leaving him, she passed away….liked Dear John, this one….it’ll stay in the DVR rotation a little while longer til I’m for sure!

Comment by amandalynn – September 12, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, I used to watch Dear John too!

Comment by Tricia – September 12, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not realize Parenthood was back already and missed the premiere. Unfortunately, Dircttv sometimes deletes half of my series manager list from time to time and did so again this summer. I thought I had rescheduled all my shows but I missed this one. I hope I can watch it online,

Comment by Mary Ann – September 12, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comparing #s to “Outsourced” made me laugh. A comedy that lasted only one season. I expect a really bad season for new shows. Most of the new shows look REALLY lousy. With so many better opportunities on the cable networks, the mainstream networks are going to continue to see falling #s as the quality of the shows they are putting out is SO POOR!

Comment by ReallyReally – September 12, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, there was so many better opportunities in ABC’s failed pilots than half of NBC’s new shows.

Comment by darcywilson – September 12, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Go On” is such a sweet and intelligent comedy. i just adore it.

Comment by stevie – September 12, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m 15 an I loooooove the new normal so freaking much I cannot wait for more episodes to come I will be buying the DVD for sure!

Comment by dean – September 12, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving The New Normal and will continue to watch.

Comment by Jared – September 12, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Parenthood alot. It is one of the best shows on tv. I hope it gets a full season but as it is NBC it won’t.

Comment by sarah – September 12, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • granted i missed the pilot episode of The New Normal, but it didn’t totally hold my attention. I like the chick and her daughter but i have yet to connect really with any of the other characters.

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 12, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But Matt, how did Sons of Anarchy do in the ratings??……….JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 12, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood returned to 5.6 mil and a 1.9

Not bad numbers at all dont know why people is tripping

Comment by Kolt – September 12, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Go On was great. My only concern is how much it is like Community and it may just get labeled as a knock-off.

Comment by Amanda – September 13, 2012 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen Barkin’s character might have been funny to a 70s audience. I could only stomach one episode.

Comment by cj – September 17, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Parenthood and I think that the network would be crazy to cancel it. Although the third season did feel flat at times, and I was disappointed at the abrupt change of story lines for Amber (whatever really happened with Bob Little??), the end of three and all of season four so far have been amazing. We’re finally getting a quality tv show with messy characters and stories that make you cry, laugh and get angry all at the same time. I beg the network to continue with the sophistication and depth shown thus far. This is a show worth continuing.

Comment by TD – October 11, 2012 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post