Today Cuts 9/11 Coverage Short to Q&A Kardashian Mom; NBC News Defends Decision

Today Show 9/11 CoverageNBC News is standing by Todays decision to forego coverage of Tuesday morning’s 9/11-related moment of silence and instead cut to an in-studio interview with Kardashian clan matriarch Kris Jenner.

“The Today show dedicated a considerable amount of time to September 11th coverage this morning throughout the entire show,” a spokesperson for NBC News said in a statement to TVLine.

Today in fact featured a prolonged segment pegged to the 11th anniversary of the terror attacks that felled the Twin Towers and targeted the Pentagon. But as broadcast rivals Good Morning America — which as of late has been trumping Today in the ratings — and CBS This Morning covered the moment of silence that marked the first hijacked plane’s strike of the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City, Today teed up Savannah Guthrie’s interview of Jenner, who was on hand to stump for Keeping Up With the Kardashians (which it so happens airs on NBC’s corporate cousin, E! Television).

In the New York City area, at least, local affiliate WNBC-4 opted not to run the Jenner piece but instead continue coverage of the 9/11 remembrance.

1. Matt says:

How can they stand by this decision? I understand it’s been 11 years and this is something that’s done every year, but cutting to an interview with the mother of those undeserving “celebrities” is an insult to the memories of those who died on that tragic day.

2. Ethel says:

The Kardashian family(and their extended family) is way beyond their 15 minutes of fame. Why interview them and disregard one of the most important days in American history? I don’t care how lengthy NBC claimed their coverage was, this is deplorable. Another reason not to watch NBC in the morning

3. ES says:

This is an example of why people are not watching. They are so busy promoting personalities over everything else.

4. John says:

Boycott NBC, just stop watching that dreadful channel. Are they even an American channel anymore?

5. Jay says:

Luckily I no l

6. Nicole says:

Poor judgement NBC..that’s why I dont watch your network anymore!!

7. mspenn1013 says:

Another example of why NBC is #4 of the major networks.

8. TMW says:

They f***ked up their Olympics coverage, you’d think they’d try not to f**k up at least until Smash is back on the air.

9. KK says:

Shame on you, NBC. Absolutely sickening.

10. J V Smith says:

Doesn’t surprise me. I used to watch only the Today show. Then I watched only the first hour, then 15 minutes. I finally switched to Good Morning America. I can’t even pinpoint any particular reason EXCEPT too much fluff too early. Glad I missed it this morning. I am so sick of the all the K family. They are trash with money.

11. Tw says:

Yeah, and Ann Curry gets the blame for their ratings drop.

• Carrie says:

Seriously. It seems now that Ann was lucky to leave that sinking ship!

• Barbara McCloskey says:

Yes, Ann Curry take it as a blessing your not on Today show anymore. I see bigger and better
      things for you. Your are better than that bunch who are full of themself losers. Don’t get me started with the K family. By the way I watch CBS in the morning.

12. Tina says:

What a mistake. The moment of silence cannot be re-scheduled to fit your time table. It happened when it happened. Who cares if you dedicate 12 hours to the 9-11 memorial if you do not show the basic RESPECT to those that lost their lives by participating in the moment of silence. NBC is a disgrace!

13. J says:

Shame on you NBC. I know it was 11 years ago, but that’s no excuse.

14. Jon says:

And NBC wonders why they’re dropping in ratings…

15. what bothers people more, that they skipped it or that they skipped it for the motherfraking kardasians? if they had skipped it to show a toy monkey playing cymbals, would people be as upset as they are?

• kmg says:

Yes, because they decided to forego covering something newsworthy, that is VERY important to many of their viewers, to instead talk to someone who has no newsworthiness. I understand, the morning shows are both news and entertainment, so they all intersperse their “real” news coverage with fashion, cooking, and pop culture segments. And honestly, I don’t watch the 9/11 coverage year after year… I think it serves no good purpose and just opens up old wounds. But the moment of silence is different than just rehashing the footage from that day, and should have been covered. But even if NBC made the decision not to cover it, I would have been ok if they had decided to cover some other news story, or even one of their Dateline expose’ stories. But ignoring the story in favor of a total fluff piece that was nothing more than a promotional for their entertainment arm is just ridiculous.

• Mary says:

YES!!!!!!!!! IT IS DISRESPECTBLE , AND TO MAKE IT WORSE IT WAS FOR A KARDASIANS.
      DID PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO HEAR JENNER THAT THEY COULD NOT TAKE A MOMENT OF SILENCE.

• the part that gets me was the note on TV Guide that said that the discussion revolved around this person’s breast implants. really? that’s newsworthy? I can see where The Newsroom gets its premise from.

16. Jay says:

I stopped watching after they shafted Ann Curry. I’m glad she wasn’t there to be associated with this debacle. Had I been watching and this happened I think I would have lost my sh*t. Let’s give props to ABC and CBS for knowing what news actually is…Kardashian hijnks is not news.

17. Amy says:

The Today show proves once again why people who cate about events shaping our world don’t watch Today. Savannah Guthrie is so fake. More Deborah Nirville than Katie Couric. Luckily MSNBC provided the appropriate coverage and ran the actual Today show footage of that morning 11 years ago. Even now, you can not watch it without horror, shock and tears.

18. Crystal says:

If you felt it necessary to cut at all, of all things to cut to, that Hack! Seriously. With everything going on in the world. Maybe cut to an interview with some of the Firefighters battling the Wildfires across the country. Heroes are what we want to see today, not fame whores that don’t contribute anything to society. I’m glad I stuck with ABC.

19. Simon says:

How many bad decisions can NBC make?! It started with cancelling freaks and geeks, then the Leno at 10 travesty, then shafting Conan. And just recently the Olympics.. Remember cutting away from the tribute to the people who died in the London terrorist attacks just to air Ryan Seacrest interviewing Michael Phelps. And don’t get me started on their treatment of Ann Curry. Terrible terrible network decisions. Major change is needed over there!!

20. Hannah says:

NBC really needs to get it’s priorities straight. First they cut out the 7/7 memorial from the Olympics and now this. It’s extremely insensitive, and disrespectful and I just don’t get it!

21. Elizabeth says:

That is reprehensible. I don’t care if the event was eleven years ago or eleven minutes ago (or a 1000 years ago for that matter) you observe it appropriately and respectfully. It’s ONE minute. 60 seconds with which to pay tribute to the heroes both here and gone. And you bypass that for a group of overexposed and consummately idiotic family of morons? Here’s class, Today show, and waaaaaaaaaaay over there is you.

The Mayans and REM were right: this is the end of the world as we know it.

22. Patty says:

Seriously? Kardashians more important than respecting all those lost on and affected by 09/11 … What’s wrong with TODAY???? It’s been on a downward spiral since Ann Curry blamed for lack of ratings. This is just the latest indication of what they consider newsworthy. I used to be a daily viewer but no more.

23. cjeffery7 says:

what are you doing NBC? like, seriously. what is going through your brains that you think it’s appropriate to cut away from a moment of silence that will probably be stringently observed for the next 50 years AT LEAST for a f****** idiot kardashian? are you f****** kidding me? how dull are you guys? leave that trash on the E! network where it belongs.

24. DonJon says:

What an insult to the families and loved one of those lost. Today show producers should be ashamed of themselves. While I am in the New York area and did not see the Kris Jenner piece, even the idea of this is beyond comprehension and trivializes one of the most important days in our recent history.

25. Dee says:

How disgusting! Way to disrespect not only the nation, but especially the victims and their families. And all to trot out that tucked and plucked hag so she can continue to whore out for talentless daughters?! Shameful.

26. Gilda says:

That’s incredibly sad.

27. Todd says:

Everybody involved should be ashamed of themselves. I spent three months working at ground zero and it is something that I will never forget. America is more important then the damn kardashians and they should of waited for another day to interview somebody who I don’t give two you know what about. I will forever lose all respect for this network!!!

28. CA says:

Well NBC, you can stand by your decision and I will stand by my decision to change the channel. In no way could an interview with a Kardashian be more important then covering the 9/11 Memorial. Good grief…… You are stationed out of NYC! Shame on you!

29. nick1372 says:

This is disrespectful, and one of the poorest decisions Today and NBC ever made. I’m not usually one of the ones that insults networks, but shame on you, NBC.

30. Brie says:

I was watching this morning and when they said they were interviewing KK, I literally choked on my breakfast!! Seriously?? There is no way they can defend this decision. First the blatant, undeserved disrespect to Ann Curry, then this? So disgusted and I will definitely not be tuning in to the Today show anymore. NBC, you have major issues.

31. Tom says:

To be clear, this was NOT Kris Jenner’s fault. I’m not a Kardashian fan myself but this was not a mistake on their part. This was deliberate. When the producers of the show decide segments, they figure out the timing of everything. I do believe this was a deliberate choice and a decision that NBC has to live with. In my opinion, as a New Yorker and as a human being, this was shameful.

• Alyssa says:

The timing may not have been her fault, but why would she agree to an interview on 9/11. Especially to talk about her breast implants. I think both parties are at fault.

32. John says:

Apparently NBC is confused. The was The Anniversary of The Worst Terrorist Attack on America, on American Soil Killing Countless Numbers of Americans!!! It wouldn’t matter who they were interviewing, it was a BAD, BAD, BAD Decision.
    I too stopped watching after they back-doored Ann Curry. She was the MAIN reason I watched NBC to begin with. I watch CBS now with Gale King!!! NBC should get their Priorities straight. Whoever made yhese horrible decisions should be the one to apologize to all Americans and then publicly dismissed.

33. Carolyn says:

NBC stands for nothing but crap! That is B—S–t, what a disrespectful bunch of idiots, who cares about the Kardashions anyways? Not me, but I do care about not only those who lost their lives but their families too! Pretty tacky….

34. ohlala says:

The fact that one of the Kardashians was on air on 9/11 is shameful enough. That family is disgusting, and of all days. . . really NBC? Go F*ck yourselves, you useless network.

35. J says:

What a disgusting, vapid, narcissistic woman! Shame on NBC for choosing to air this type of content over observing a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11

36. C says:

The program manager who set this up should be removed from his position. What an insult to the familes of 9 11 victims. On the other hand, why didn’t the viewers of this interview all change the channel? So, shame on NBC, and shame on the losers who would watch this crap instead of paying respect to the dead.

37. Alice says:

NBC has really been making some bad choices lately. First with the appallingly biased and delayed coverage of both the Olympic and Paralympic games and then with the shortening of their 9/11 coverage. Someone over at NBC needs to wake up and realize that their news coverage is getting worse by the day. So much so that I don’t even bother to watch NBC anymore, but turn to other channels because NBC’s list of priorities is clearly topped by fame hungery trolls. I personally prefer a little intellect and thoughtfulness in my news coverage.

38. Ann says:

Look, the nation and television stations don’t stop for a moment of silence for the Pearl Harbor victims, nor do they stop in remembrance of the Oklahoma City bombings. It’s been eleven years! Though I remember 9/11 vividly, at some point television will move on and stop airing all the 9/11 tributes and moments of silences, etc. and let the family of the victims hold their memorials privately. NBC is just taking the first steps towards that. There is nothing wrong with that.

39. Linda says:

They should have gone for the moment of silence. We should never forget no matter how many years pass.

40. Ann says:

To be fair, isn’t it quite a coup to score an interview with a Kardashian? NBC couldn’t let this once in a lifetime opportunity pass — those people are nearly hermits!

41. Yesterday's Child says:

Just woow, well now I know why NBC stands for No Body Cares, and they proved why today. This is beyond being uncaring this is unAmerican, and of all people Chris Kardashian. Hey, NBC you own E network, who is so up this families behind, leave them on that station. Do you know what makes me sick, that you still stand behind this decision even after the backlash. For goodness sake stand up and admit you made a mistake…………….

42. BULLDOG says:

We can rant and rave all day while NBC could care less. The only way to get their attention is to make their sponsors feel the pain. As of today, I will not buy anything from any company that sponsors their network. If enought of the people that are bothered by the NB Crap network do the same, we will get their attention!

43. How stupid can they be? NBC insulted every firefighter in the country. Whoever made the call to air today with the trash and her boobs should be fired and sent out of the business. I no formal apology, I will never watch NBC again and the rest of the nation should do the same.

44. Jody Ruhter says:

Shame Shame Shame on the today show. After 30 years of being a fan I just switched to Good Morning America. I don’t care how much time you spent earlier covering the events of 911, you just insulted the families, police, firefighters, medics, hospitals and anyone else involved in the tragic day. And to top it off covering pathetic Kardashians!! And you wonder why your ratings are dropping…Good I now hope you sink big time!!!!

45. dina says:

Wendy Weiss Videll
    21 hours ago
    Eleven years ago, Matt Lauer broke into “Today” to report a plane hit the World Trade Center. And then our lives and our world changed. Eleven years later, your network airs a Kris Jennar interview instead of the 9/11 Memorial Ceremonies. Giving priority to someone who is only “famous for being famous” versus covering one of the most tragic and prolific events of our lifetime—in our country’s hist
    ory—is not only repulsive but moreover, a disrespect to the families of those affected by the events of that day; and the American public. The fact that you would give her any validity—the mother of a woman who disrespects the institution of marriage by putting on a production over her wedding only to remain married for 72 days while millions of other real, loving couples stand by and watch their marriage rights being taken away—is beyond any human understanding. Kris Jennar and “The Kardashians” are responsible for the degradation of quality TV. Jennar and her crew are shallow and futile; and your disrespect of what today is in order to give her any validity is why your network remains in fourth place among the major four. I lost respect for your network when you threw Ann Curry under the bus and shuffled her away into a dark corner. But what your network did today is far more disrespectful to every single family and friend affected by September 11th; and the American public itself. In short: shame on you.

Tara Gibson NBC
    14 hours ago near Mount Kisco, NY •
    • I want to personally take the time to THANK the helms at NBC (Capus and Bell and whoever else is making these decisions for the network. You deliberately leak to the press that your ratings are failing and you personally hold Ann Curry responsible for doing so and then you give her 5 humiliating minutes to say goodbye. That was priceless NBC!!! You wanted your network to get attention and you did. You made Capus and Bell household names to many of us. You taught us all that you can very publically ‘throw someone under the bus’ and let one person become a fall guy for the whole team. So, thank you for exposing just how cruel, ruthless and callous network you really are to your viewers. I want to thank the producers and the heads of NBC for allowing Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera to host the Olympic ceremonies. They showed the whole world how it’s ok to giggle and laugh and make inappropriate comments during a ceremony and they also gave credence to the fact that American’s only know American history and are ignorant when to comes to other countries and this fact is publicize during their reign on the air while broadcasting the ceremonies. I personally want to thank you for tape delaying the ceremonies, announcing the winner(s) before an actual race and cutting out aspects of the ceremonies that you deemed American’s wouldn’t be interested in seeing, not airing the entire closing ceremonies and reminding us all again of the ‘power of the mighty dollar’. You taught us, that no matter what, the dollar is sacred above anything else especially if it’s being deposited into Capus and Bell’s wallet. You can ‘rightfully’ and ‘ignorantly’ insult other nations, make viewers wait 5 hours after the games have started only to announce the winners before you show them all to capitalize on the mighty green from advertisers. And my biggest Thank YOU is for ignoring the moment silence for the 9/11 victims and their families. Not only did you ignore the moment of silence your heads at be decided to air a segment of Kris Jenner about her boob job. You showed the American public that SEX above anything else in the world is important. You also reminded the American public just how newsworthy reality TV and how it’s ok to dishonor victims/families and insult Americans on a day of remembrance. I have other Thank You’s but I would be remiss if I didn’t thank you for totally ignoring the viewers who made Harry’s Law the number 2 show for your network only to get cancelled because it wasn’t the age group advertisers wanted to advertise to. You again reminded us all, you don’t have to have a conscience, you can ignore the ones who lead you to the limelight, and it doesn’t matter who you step on, who you stab the knife in the back, who you insult, who you criticize, who you make scapegoat, who you dishonor and the list goes on and on but most of all NEVER EVER say you are sorry, never take fault, never admit to wrongdoing never apologize and to always find the fault and blame to someone else. So here’s my big fat “THANK YOU” NBC for digging your own hole. Here’s my THANK YOU for making it easy for all of us viewers to have contempt and disgust at the mere mention of your network. And mostly, THANK YOU for leading us all over to ‘Good Morning America’. Enjoy your ratings and wallets!!!!!

46. Greg Smith says:

I’m done with these clowns. The Olympic coverage was a disaster, the today show is now anything but news and informative… I have officially changed all my tv’s to start on CBS