Fall TV Preview

Good Wife Exclusive: Gossip Guy John Shea Cast as Cary's Father

CBS’ The Good Wife this season will ask, “How far did the Agos fall from the tree?” with the introduction of legal eagle Cary’s father.

Playing the potentially recurring role of the proud (?) pop will be John Shea, TVLine has learned exclusively. The elder Agos is described as being a bit awkward and stiff, and the kind of guy who kicks his son out of the house at age 18 so that he can fend for himself, because that’s what his own father did to him.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Preview for The Good Wife and 45 Other Shows

Though in recent years Shea has recurred on Gossip Girl as Blair’s father — making Cary and the UES queen bee siblings? — he is also known for personifying Lex Luthor on Lois & Clark: The Adventures of Superman and lording over the Mutant X men (and women).

VIDEO | Good Wife Season 4 Promo Delivers Loyal Alicia, Rough Sex and Kung-Fu Kalinda

The Good Wife is back in session starting Sunday, Sept. 30 at 9/8c.

Comments (20)

• I can see this working, I really like him

Comment by miri – September 7, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good casting! Love John Shea.

Comment by Kvivik – September 7, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping this means they’ll utilize Matt Czuchry a little more this season. I’m glad Cary’s back at Lockhart Gardner.

Comment by noeladd – September 7, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree completely. Cary is the best most-underused character on all of TV. I hope they finally give Matt Czuchry some story and screentime. He’s probably the finest young actor on TV and it is almost criminal how they have underused him. This is good news for sure.

Comment by Dee – September 7, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The words crime, criminal and criminally are mandatory when you need to describe how much Matt Czuchry is underused and underrated.

Comment by Lucy – September 7, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And right now that could easily be the only thing I really give a damn about. Thanks.

Comment by Lucy – September 7, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but what does mean potentially recurring? Obviously it has to be a recurring if they REALLY want to write a storyarc for Cary and his father…aren’t they still sure about it? O Gosh! I’m sure chensorship won’t be a problem in this case so let’s try a new thing. Let’s write a multiple episode story arc for a 2 years underused character/actor which doesn’t need to involve sex to keep viewers awake. We know they can do it.

Comment by Lucy – September 7, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo Cary takes after his mother then… I kid! Just glad he’s finally getting a story of his own, hopefully it means tptb are building/expanding his role.

Comment by Saint Alicia – September 7, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love John Shea and I love The Good Wife. What a happy coincidence!!!

Comment by Stefany – September 7, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best Lex Luthor ever!!

Comment by Liz – September 7, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it!!! The Good Wife has the best casting!

Comment by mspenn1013 – September 7, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Cary had’t been back in the fold, would your headline have read, ‘Lois & Clark’s Lex Luthor Cast as Cary’s Dad?’

Just wonderin…

Comment by Sheldon W. – September 7, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand Cary; he’s so boring compared to the other characters. And he’s slimey. Ug. The less stories we have of him the better

Comment by mia – September 7, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Cary is really boring. I hope they make him more exciting now that he is back at Lockhart/Gardner but sometimes I think it might be too late.

Comment by Caitlin Garafola – September 8, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that he has been underused in Season 2 and 3. With Cary now back with the firm, I hope we see more of him, especially with Alicia. I like their friendship in Season 1 even though they were competing at that time.

Comment by Ethan – September 7, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. Cary & Alicia are really good together and make a good team. Let’s have lots more Cary this year!

Comment by Dee – September 7, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved that season 1 episode where Cary and Alicia were preparing witnesses : writers were able to show that Cary and Alicia maybe had different styles but they’re xtremelly talented and smart lawyers. And when they join forces they can be invincible. And yeah, let’s have lots more Cary this year. They’ve to make up for season 2 and 3.

Comment by Lucy – September 7, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope all this “Cary at L&G again” plot won’t end up in a big nothing like the Peter and Cary storyline. Like the Cary and Kalinda storyline. Like the Cary and Dana storyline. The character really needs more constancy this year or it’s not going to work.

Comment by Pat – September 10, 2012 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved Matt C. since Gilmore Girls, and John Shea since Lois & Clark. This is great news!

Comment by MM – September 10, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you in a position to manual us on your webmaster or the man whom takes care of your blog post, I would like to know if it will be simple to be a guests poster.

Comment by affordable search engine optimization – April 8, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post