Could Grimm Learn from Buffy? Was GH Cruel? Which Bad Agenda Shocked You? And More Qs!

Breaking Bad Aaron PaulWe’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Doctor Who, Breaking Bad, Covert Affairs and General Hospital!

1 | Is too late to give America’s Next Top Model another makeover and bring back the Jays and Nigel? And while we’re at it, how about getting rid of the pointless viewer vote?

2 | Would any Doctor Who fans have been curious to hear Oswin flirt with Rory using her robotic Dalek voice?

3 | What surprised you more about Breaking Bad‘s midseason finale: that Walt wasn’t planning to kill Jesse during their little visit, or that Jesse was prepared to off his former partner if necessary? And have any of you viewers out there taken a long, hard look at what reading material you have lying around in the powder room?

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on 46 Returning Favorites!

4 | Why were we not surprised by The Chew‘s fail fall preview special for ABC? But even so, have you ever seen such a Fall TV sneak preview show focus so much on, you know, food? Scoop! Andre Braugher likes macaroni-and-cheese! (Oh, and by the way, Last Resort airs Thursdays at 8.)

5 | In the wake of her compelling turn on A&E’s otherwise so-so Coma, isn’t it time for some smart network exec to find the right vehicle to get Lauren Ambrose back on our TV screens every week?

6 | Can Major Crimes recast Rusty with Michael Weatherly?

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey’s, Glee, Gossip Girl, Big Bang, CSI, Pretty Little Liars and More

Grimm7 | Wouldn’t Grimm‘s creatures look better as makeup-and-hair monsters à la Buffy instead of CGI creations?

8 | What’s your excuse for not watching The L.A. Complex, aka The CW’s best soap during any time of the year?

9 | On Switched at Birth, did Emmett’s wall art apology remind you of when Pacey bought Joey a wall on Dawson’s Creek?

10 | Has White Collar‘s Neal stolen more things this past season — for or despite the FBI — than he did his entire prior career as an actual thief?

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Exclusive Fringe First Look! Plus Scoop on Grey’s, Glee, Covert and More

Covert Affairs Piper Perabo Sarah Clarke11 |Covert Affairs fan Mina asks: Who keeps letting Sarah Clarke into the U.S. government? We, meanwhile, want to know: Has any recent show enjoyed a creative upswing like Covert did this season? And someone is going to give Richard Coyle a new show, right?

12 | Wasn’t it a refreshing change to see So You Think You Can Dance‘s Cyrus masterfully moving himself through a routine instead of barely hanging on? Meanwhile, why didn’t SYTYCD allow viewers to vote on the Final 4 this week, and then add those totals to the votes that come in after next week’s performance finale? Isn’t it too far into the season to have a week where the routines don’t count for anything?

13 | Does everyone appreciate the irony of Simon Cowell kvetching about The Voice scheduling a night against X Factor, when Fox regularly and brazenly tinkers with American Idol‘s schedule to cripple the competition?

14 | To crib from many a Wednesday-night tweet: Was Bill Clinton’s DNC speech the best episode of Political Animals yet? And speaking of TV/DNC “crossovers,” how funny/cool/odd was it to see Olivia Pope — er, Kerry Washington — speak at the Big Show? Handled.

15 | Does the demise of Saving Hope in the States — and The Listener and Flashpoint before it — make you appreciate how special the Canadian import Rookie Blue is?

16 | The CW’s Wonder Woman: Whose job is that to lose, Secret Circle beauty Phoebe Tonkin’s, or soap stunner Nadia Bjorlin’s?

17 | Why does it seem to make all the sense in the world that Kurt Sutter is developing a comedy titled Diva. Clown. Killer.?

Steve Burton18 | Not to be a downer, but General Hospital‘s big “What if?” episode this week was a bit salt-in-the-woundish, right? Steve Burton is leaving the show soon, so we are never going to see that outcome for Jason and Sam. It almost seemed a little cruel to imagine them so happy with two healthy kids of their own.

RELATED | MTV VMAs 2012: 3 Best and 3 Worst Moments

19 | Was the funniest part of the 2012 MTV VMAs the unflinchingly uncomfortable ads for its new scripted comedy Underemployed? Speaking of the awards show, how come host Kevin Hart quit working on his opening monologue during the brainstorming phase? There wasn’t a fully baked joke in the bunch, was there?

20 | When did Project Runway become about creating boring, semi-sheer T-shirts?

1. Totally agree about the GH question. Steve leaving or not – that was just a depressing episode. Although Nancy Lee Grahn saying “You’re the father, it’s your fault” was pretty classic. I love me some NLG, even it’s in a depressing “what if” episode.

• MLO says:

Yawn. In the ‘immortal’ words of vampire-Willow “Bored now.” I’m so sick of Jason and Sam and/or Jason and Elizabeth. It’s long past time for this one-note character to go – just wish he could pack tiny little Sonny in his suitcase on his way out.

2. Angela says:

In answer to #15 – it shows how idiotic the exec of the US networks (especially NBC) are to not recognize a good show and promote it properly.,

3. Breck says:

11. The moment I saw Sarah Clarke on Covert Affairs, I immediately thought “YOU CAN”T TRUST THE WOMAN THAT KILLED JACK BAUER’S WIFE!!!!!!!!!!”

• JeniLee says:

Agreed! And about the second part of the CA question….what a creative upswing! After last season I was ready to give it up but this season has been SO SO good. finally storylines happening. Last season it was all just mission after mission and no personal storylines. So glad! But so very sad Simon is dead!

• I almost wish they would bring back Simon as a ghost….. almost!
        We need Richard back on tv

• Jewels says:

I love the creative aspect of the show this season…but I’m not wild about the direction. I might be more inclined in the back half, but the CA I enjoyed for 2 seasons? This is not it. I loved the Simon angle…the Lena angle? The moment she was on screen I knew she was a bad guy (and I had no clue to her previous TV pedigree..lol)

• Faz says:

Sort of — they keep having silly plots though. Of course, the show isn’t supposed to be realistic and I get that, but take the episode where Annie went to Minn. to turn the Yemen guy — I mean, could have it been any more far fetched if it tried? And the frustrating thing is that if the writers had spend about 15 more minutes working it out, they could have made it work. Instead it was a daydream fantasy. And BTW, there isn’t a chance that Arthur would be on the short list for the ambassador to China.

• CJ says:

When I saw she had been cast and her character was named “Lena”, I told my brother who is a huge 24 fan. He said “Lena? Works at the CIA? That’s a little too close to Nina working for CTU. She did it. Whatever it is. She’s the bad guy. Kill her immediately.”

I really do hope that Richard Coyle lands somewhere that puts him on our TV screens every week, because he was FANTASTIC as Simon.

4. Marcie says:

You are so right about #1. My favorite parts of Top Model were the judges backroom backstabbing and the makeovers. Now there’s hardly any judge talk and the makeovers are optional. I want someone’s luscious glory buzz cut! And what’s with the at-home vote that seems to have already taken place over the summer?

5. Abby says:

Richard Coyle needs his own show like yesterday. I loved him and his arc on Covert Affairs.

6. SG says:

Oh god do I love Breaking Bad. I wish there had been more Jesse in the finale, but that last scene with him and Walt was a doozy. I think Jesse must have figured out Walt killed Mike because there was no fall out from the prison assassinations, and that is why he was so scared he was next. After everything he saw Walt say and do this season, I don’t blame him a bit for thinking Walt is a monster. The bag of money may make Walt feel better about how he screwed Jesse, but I don’t think Jesse will ever trust Walt again. Finally he’s learning.

• MJ says:

I would’ve liked to see more Jesse too. And I think that last scene between the two was kinda sad, from realizing Jesse is doing drugs again to his obvious fear of Walt. I think Walt actually misses the old days with Jesse and the RV because he gets off from being on the edge and in danger and now his meth bussiness has become monotinous. Altough Jesse has plenty of reason to mistrust Walt and stay the hell away from him I still find it sad that their relationship is broken because it was such a huge part of the show.

7. Barb says:

Flashpoint is still on U.S. television. It’s shown on ION and is heading into it’s final season. I enjoy it just as much as Rookie Blue.

8. pete says:

flashpoint is still airing in the us on Ion, hardly a failure

9. gemapet says:

1 – although only two episodes have aired, I miss the Jays and Nigel too. Don’t mind the audience input so much except not sure how many people would have participated as their vote wasn’t ‘live’
    15 – Yes, have been keeping up with Rookie Blue but didn’t get into Saving Hope. Although there will be a new SH season here in Canada, I won’t be watching – I have kept up with the Listener (season 3 now) and looking forward to the 5th and final season of Flashpoint starting later this month.

• Ava says:

1.) Tyra was the weak link in the cast! She hired that man candy model so that there was someone of the judging panel who had a more vacant look in their eye at judging than she did. I hate the audience votes thing. Who knew they were doing that? I would have loved to vote but it was pretaped and voting is over.

10. Lauren says:

#1 BUT ACTUALLY – I’m so sick of this BS “viewer vote” it’s like not even real! That would only work if the votes were happening in real time. But god forbid Tyra can’t edit the judging sesh. And I hate these stupid “quantitative scores” especially because the numbers are based on qualitative opinions that are barely based on anything!

#8 AMEN

#9 Agreed – no matter what, I’m still team EBay

#12 This whole season has been a stuggle with this one night a week thing. It doesn’t work!

#16 If it’s not Tonkin, I won’t be tuning in. (who am I kidding, I’ll totally tune in)

11. Alichat says:

#7 – I thought they used a mix of prosthetics and CG on Grimm? Putting the actor in the prosthetics, then scanning it to achieve the CG work. Perhaps it’s a timing issue since actors would have to sit in the makeup chair for hours before filming to apply all the hair and prosthetics. If there is a scene where a Wesen is in character for a time….through a monologue perhaps, then maybe they will use more traditional methods since it would look better. One thing I’m glad they aren’t doing anymore, a la Buffy, is using that narrative in the opening theme. Ugh! Unless it’s narrated by Anthony Stewart Head and includes the words “in every generation there is a chosen one,” it should not be done!!

• ladyhelix says:

Grimm also benefits from Buffy in that David Greenwalt (Grim’s creator/executive producer) was an executive/consulting producer/writer on Buffy (credited on 122 episodes) and Angel (credited on 111 episodes).

12. edTV says:

I’d say Suits also had a creative upswing this season.

• Did it? I gave up after about three episodes because I thought too much of the drama was coming from these brilliant characters carrying the idiot ball. If it really improved, I may have to check it out.

• Emma says:

I was just about to say the same thing! Suits was mediocre at best during its first season. This season’s extended story arc was deliciously dramatic and well crafted. I’ve never seen a show make that kind of turnaround.

13. Dr. Bombay says:

Adding Rusty to Major Crimes is such an obvious ploy to humanize Captain Raydor. So unnecessary….

14. 8 – I’m one of the 10 people actually watching The L.A. Complex. Since they’ve cancelled every other show I’ve ever liked on The CW, it’s the only show on the network worth watching as far as I’m concerned.
    11 – Her name was freaking Lena, how could anyone not see that coming? It’s like they weren’t even trying to hide it. And honestly, I think this season of Covert Affairs has been pretty meh overall so far. Didn’t really care for Simon, and I hate that they pretty much cut out Danielle from the show.
    15 – Flashpoint technically isn’t dead in the States, it just moved to a network most people probably don’t even know exists. And even when it was on CBS, it had just as long a run there as Rookie Blue has had on ABC (with generally higher ratings), so I wouldn’t really say anything about RB was special.

15. Babybop says:

Agreed with #1. I always wished they would boot Tyra and give the show to Mr. Jay. She gets more conceited by the season.

16. Reddog says:

#7 – I was thinking that Grimm must have received a budget increase this season because (in my opinion) the CGI faces look a lot better than last year. However, make up would probably be better.

17. Mina says:

Gasp, I’m published!

18. Sara says:

15 | Does the demise of Saving Hope in the States — and The Listener and Flashpoint before it — make you appreciate how special the Canadian import Rookie Blue is?

Absolutely. Rookie Blue is one of my favourite shows and it fills me with mass amounts of joy that the American version of Rookie Blue (NYC 22 or whatever) got cut so fast, and Rookie Blue is still going strong. It was a blatant ripoff so it’s great seeing this show prosper.

19. tvaddict says:

Loving The LA Complex and hope to see more of it so please watch it! And I hope Phoebe Tonkin is a contender for the Wonder Woman pilot

20. Kylie says:

Love the LA Complex shout-out! I’m so glad TVLINE is into this show as well! More people need to watch it!

21. Rookie Blue is life <3 I'm so happy it's found a home in the US. I started watching Canadian tv this summer (Including Saving Hope AND The Listener, and Continnum, of course!), and Rookie Blue was my love at first sight show! Here's hoping for many more seasons both in Canada AND the US!

22. MGRL says:

Loved Richard Coyle and his Simon character. The Annie and Simon and Lena story lines gave the show a much needed shot in the arm. Better than his own show, bring him back to Covert Affairs. I love the mysterious spy character.

• Marge says:

Yes!!! Bring Richard Coyle back to Covert Affairs. Simon is such a great character and love Annie and Simon!!!!

• Sparky says:

He took the bullets to the heart and chest same as Annie so if she survives then there is no reason why he can’t. Like everyone else his arc was a great shot in the arm to the show…

23. J says:

Grimm has already benefited from one Buffy lesson – having a “Scooby Gang” has made the show infinitely better

24. Al says:

Rusty is Sharon Rader’s Fritz….. makes it seem a bit more formulaic.

25. The Squatch says:

If Grimm wants to take something from Buffy they need to give Nick some sort of “Grimm abilities” like enhanced strength, speed, etc. There has to be more to the Wessen fearing his kind so much than just that he can recognize them. Really, they make most of the creatures on the show out to be extremely dangerous and deadly, super powerful, with all manner of natural weapons at their disposal… but they are all afraid of Nick because he, why? He may give them a dirty look?

• Bear_75 says:

Spot on! Was just thinking the same thing the other day – WHY is he so feared? I figured they must be afraid of ‘nice guy’ genetics! Also couldn’t agree more re: the CGI, it’s one thing that really spoils the show for me :/ x

• Lashalee says:

It seems that the blood of a Grimm holds some power….when Adalind ingested some of Nick’s blood in their fight she was no longer a Wessen….also, he seems to gain strength when he is fighting and is able to hold his own with the Wessen beyond what a normal human could do….plus he seems to pick up the ancient weaponry pretty quickly…

• Deena says:

The Wessen don’t know he’s new at this whole Grimm thing and is learning on the job. For all they know he can take them out like his ancestors, who apparently had reason to be feared. Just look at the weapons in the trailor & the moves his mom had. You can’t expect him to pick up on all that stuff so fast. Grimm’s aren’t superheros or supernatural beings. They are human fighting machines.

26. Mik says:

Yes, more Lauren Ambrose please!

27. Lashalee says:

#1 Bring back the Jays! This Wujek guy doesn’t bring anything to the shoots….he seems less involved than Mr. Jay. I also miss Nigel. The judge’s panel needs the perspective of a photographer. I do like Kelly Cutrone – she brings the business perspective…now if we could just get Tyra to stop making it all about her!

28. Caro says:

I am not a fan of Jason and Sam so I found the “what if” episode a big of a bore though I am happy the Jasam fans got such a nice going away present. I’m very disappointed that we won’t get to see Jason and Liz move into a relationship because they are perfect together. My biggest gripe is against ABC for not doing more to keep Steve Burton! I think they are deliberately trying to sabotage GH so the ratings will drop and they can replace our soap with some crappy but cheap to produce talk show.

29. Shannon says:

#8- I absolutely agree why aren’t more ppl watching l.a. Complex, it’s an amazing show! Andre fuller is hands down one of the best actors I’ve seen in a long time. Everybody needs to give it a chance!

30. Stacyh says:

What is Major Crimes??
    And NO – they cannot have Michael Weatherly!

• Velvet says:

Major Crimes basically took over the Closer spot. I refused to watch the Closer and have absolutely no interest in Major Crimes.

31. Velvet says:

#8 – No time, don’t care. Sorry Jewel Staite.