Matt's Inside Line: Exclusive Fringe First Look! Plus Scoop on Grey's, Glee, Covert and More

Will Fringe issue an “amber” alert for Olivia? Does Glee make “Time” for Klaine kloseness? Who’s the new girl on Grey’s? When will Eyal embark on his next Covert mission? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from hot shows.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Fringe, Glee and 44 Other Shows

Fringe | We open this week’s column with a bit of visual splendor: a first look at Season 5, which premieres Sept. 28. In this exclusive image from the final season’s first episode, titled “Transilience Thought Unifier Model 11,” you’ve got circa-2036 Peter, Astrid and Etta checking out a block of amber from which, it appears, at least a few people have been sawed out. Could it be that Olivia, too, was ambered for twentysome years? “You’ll have to wait and see,” showrunner Joel Wyman hedged during our fall preview Q&A. “If she got ambered, if she’s the same age, if she’s not…. You’ll have to wait and see.” Wyman did allow this much; whether it’s a hint is for you to decide: “You’ve got to figure that ambering yourself is kind of a cool thing!”

Glee | TVLine’s resident Gleek, Michael Slezak, has already shared his 13 observations of the Season 4 premiere, but what’s the harm in a few more? I see some of you asking about “Klaine,” and the fact of the matter is they really don’t share a quality scene until about two-thirds of the way into the hour – but when they do, I have every faith it will satisfy their fans, as Blaine finds a special way to tell his beau “It’s Time.” (But for what…?) All in all, I found it to be a rather strong premiere, buoyed by solid debuts from Kate Hudson (as a cocksure NYADA teach who isn’t without her tragic flaws) and Melissa Benoist (playing New Direction wannabe Marley Rose, who boasts one of the meatier backstories for a noob. But I must agree with Slezak that the new girl falls short in her “duet” with Rachel. ) Plus, the on-location NYC shots help sell Rachel’s metropolitan odyssey, which in the first hour ends in tears – including likely your own. On the lighter side, Brittany has two of her funniest lines ever – one involving a case of mistaken identity with Unique, and the other lamenting what she and Santana can and cannot do via Skype.

Grey’s Anatomy | Is this woman, at right, the one with which Alex will, as Shonda Rhimes previewed, find “real love with,” “somebody who doesn’t leave him for once”? Make no mistake, I am 115-percent spit-balling with that opening line, but it does pave the way for me to introduce you to Jerrika Hinton, who ABC has confirmed will recur during Season 9 as Stephanie, a Seattle Grace intern. (Hinton blogged a photo of herself on set.) The actress’ credits include guest-starring turns on Season 1 of Rhimes’ Scandal, as well as Bones and Lie to Me.

RELATED | Exclusive Ask Ausiello Scoop: Covert Affairs Casts Eyal’s Boss

Covert Affairs | Eyal fans, we’ve got some news you’re going to love. Oded Fehr is coming back for five of the final six episodes of Season 3, which kick off on Oct. 16. “Annie’s in some jeopardy, and Eyal comes in to help her in Episode 311,” executive producer Matt Corman tells TVLine, adding that the hour is the show’s “most high-octane” one yet. “Their relationship is going to develop over this back six [episodes]. They’re spending more time together, so it’ll deepen and it will be tested in ways that we haven’t yet seen. You’ll see more complexity out of that relationship.”

Leverage | The TNT drama’s double-episode summer finale arrives Sept. 16, and the second hour leaves the heavy lifting to Hardison, Parker and Eliot. “It’s a really great episode because you get to see the three kids go off to play without ‘mommy and daddy’ for a minute,” Aldis Hodge told me. “You get to see us truly in our element, and for the first time see what our team looks like when we’re on our own.” As directed by exec producer Dean Devlin and involving a biological threat to D.C., Hodge says the finale features “cool new shots” and a “different style,” all adding up to offer “a different version of what Leverage can be…. I think it will be one of the best episodes we’ve had.”

Reader Mail Rapid-Fire | No, Mel, I just checked and there is no word yet on A&E’s The Glades being renewed…. Yes, Linda, Body of Proof‘s Megan is getting a new – or new/old – love interest in Human Target‘s Mark Valley, who plays an ex-flame now working for the Philly PD, and there are no plans at this time for Jamie Bamber to return as Aiden…. And to Charlie, who’d been asking about The Mentalist‘s 100th episode: Check out our Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular!

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (56)

• great Covert Affairs news

Comment by julia – September 7, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I love Eyal. Great character; great actor.

Comment by Amy – September 7, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was that the summer finale or something?

Comment by Shaun – September 7, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think there are still two more episodes. So September 18th will be the “summer finale”, but then they’ll pick up again on October 16th.

Comment by Katie – September 7, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOVE that Eyal will be a big part of the rest of season 3! I just do not get the way USA does their “seasons” though. Why go off for a month and then come back? It makes zero sense to me.

Comment by Kate – September 9, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t understand this year’s Covert Affairs schedule, either. I’m sure there’s a reason for it, but I like when USA shows have their “summer season” from, like, June through August, and then they come back for the second half of the season in January, like Suits and Necessary Roughness are doing this year.

Comment by Katie – September 11, 2012 03:15 PM PDT
    • Mamma mia! Its-a great news! Oded Fehr is the second best thing in the show so the more we get to see him the better!

Comment by It's-a me Mario! – September 7, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME eyal and Annie :)))

Comment by B – September 7, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Eyal (and Annie/Eyal)! So excited!

Comment by Juli – September 7, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay more Eyal!

Comment by Kat – September 7, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That better be not Alex’s love interest.

Comment by Tia – September 7, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, why not? I don’t want to jump to any angry conclusions before you clarify.

Comment by alix – September 7, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • An internet poster who doesn’t jump to angry conclusions right off the bat? Unheard of! Bravo. But yes, I second your skepticism towards the comment above.

Comment by wordsmith – September 7, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m hoping it is because she is an intern and Alex will be an attending…..I’m hoping that is what Tia meant.

Comment by moobear – September 7, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Or that she looks 18.

Comment by Russ – September 7, 2012 01:56 PM PDT
          • Intern and Attending. Rehash! Been there, done that, to death.

Comment by Lori – September 7, 2012 09:07 PM PDT
        • Yeah, i agree with you. Besides if its what i think you meant,his love interest looks just like his actual wife

Comment by Gina G – September 10, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Some kiddie? Uck.

Comment by Alex – September 10, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. She’s an intern. Alex is past all that crap. He needs to find someone at the same level as him. Someone who is more mature and not just beginning their life. I mean the intern/doctor relationship may have worked out with Meredith and Derek but not with Alex. He’s more mature and at a later stage in his life and been through enough intern drama with Megan to know that relationships with interns is not a good idea

Comment by A – September 7, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I so want Karev to find true love.

Comment by AC – September 7, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the name of the actress is Jerrika Hinton (not Hutton); hope she is for Alex.

Comment by tvfan – September 7, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait till they find Olivia and Etta, Peter and Olivia reunite. Can’t wait for first scene between mother and daughter

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – September 7, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Proving once again why I worship you Matt, with scoop on 4 of my fave shows :)

Fringe – I’m unsure if I like the idea of Olivia being older – where does that leave her and Peter?? But cannot WAIT for the season to start, if only it could last forever!! :(

I still love Glee and am looking forward to season 4 so much! Lea Michele does heart broken like no other and I love her for it!!

Can’t wait for Alex to get some real lovin’ on GA, it’s about sodding time!!

And yay for much more Eyal – I have loved Oded Fehr since his Zankou days and adore him on CA!! Looking forward to seeing him in more than just the odd episode!!

I didn’t expect so much scoopage goodness after yesteday’s huge fall preview palooza so thank you!! You’ve made my Friday!!! :)

Comment by katy917 – September 7, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news about Eyal. Finally a non-stereotyped Israeli regular character on TV.

Comment by Hank – September 7, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An attending (Alex) getting with an intern? He might as well get with Morgan if they’re going to introduce him getting with a new doctor that doesn’t revolve a transfer from another hospital. Besides, why label a recurring cast member the possible “real love” of Alex’s life? Shonda, you’re grasping at stairs. Realistically, Alex would be more focused on his fellowship and sleeping around then jumping into a relationship with an intern, especially seeing as he hates interns.

Comment by Jarrod – September 7, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alex slept with an intern in Season 7. It was the episode where at the end Callie told Arizona she was pregnant, in an elevator (and a song by The Nationals was playing in the background). And Derek was an attending when he screwed intern Meredith in the series pilot. This is not unheard of on Grey’s.

Comment by Lauren – September 7, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Alex had a caucasian girl type that he went after……Izzie,Addison,Other blonde.Dunno,maybe those 3 were just coincidences and he falls for most female docs,lol.

Comment by Shaun – September 7, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He hooked up with Callie.

Comment by moobear – September 7, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Addison was a redhead (well, more like auburn) when she started on Grey’s. I don’t remember her ever being blonde.

Comment by Snsetblaze – September 7, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alex slept with a black intern in a Season 7 episode.

Comment by Lynda – September 7, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She wasn’t an intern. She was a medical student on a one-day visit to the hospital.

Comment by CC – September 8, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regarding Glee: When Blaine sings “It’s Time” to Kurt, I think it is when Kurt is getting ready to leave for NYC. I just hope that they get to share a proper goodbye moment (emotional) but not sure if that will happen. They haven’t had many of those moments since “Dance With Somebody” (where they hugged and said “I Love You.”). When they had “the talk” at the beginning of “Goodbye” they at least held hands but that’s about it. I am looking forward to the premiere but am dreading Episode 4 when they walk away from each other in tears after their walk in the park (scenes filmed in NYC in August). I am hoping that they will be able to work things out and be together before the end of the season (or before). Rachel and Kurt in NYC should be interesting. I can just imagine what Brittany is talking about via Skype (oh my).

Comment by Kay – September 7, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, but age makeup would be a b**** to deal with every day. I think Olivia’s got something up her sleeve. After all, we can’t have her too much older than Peter!

Comment by Emily – September 7, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the scoop. I am very excited for Fringe and the Leverage scoop is awesome and I like the analogy of Hardison,Parker and Eliot as the three kids. Love when those three have scenes together.

Comment by Patti – September 7, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome Fringe scoop – thanks!
    I’m wondering if they’re going to make Olivia be “older” than Peter now? If she got out of Amber before Peter, Astrid & Walter then she could definitely be a different “age”.

Comment by dsm – September 7, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Eyal, LOVE Oded Fehr. He makes great characters and is very hot.

Comment by Renee – September 7, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt: I forgot to mention – thanks for including the part about Klaine in your article. They never seem to get mentioned in the other articles and since they are my favorite couple I am glad you at least could share a little bit about them. Again, thank you.

Comment by Kay – September 7, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FIVE episodes? Oh wow, yes! Ffffffffitty YES. I have so much irrational adoration for Eyal. Of course, I also have a newly developed distrust of the CA writers on not KILLING him dead, but…um…yeah, now I’m just…that high-pitched fangirl scream that irritates bats? That’d be me. So excited.

Comment by Eleanor – September 7, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SOOOOOOOOOOO with you here Eleanor. Long time (Since The Mummy days) fan. Love Eyal and Love Oded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Svenska – September 7, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was great in The Mummy! And also Burn Notice. Highly entertaining — but Eyal is by FAR my favorite of his characters. Totally with you on love for him! WAY too much awesome there. :D

Comment by Eleanor – September 7, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Love Eyal’s character on Covert Affairs.

Comment by Anonymous – September 7, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, I loved seeing Jamie Bamber on American tv…

Comment by Linds – September 7, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOO! EYAL!!!! I literally cheered out loud upon reading that. FIVE episodes?! I’m so excited…..

Comment by ktbanks – September 7, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! ETTA’S BACK! that’s all i care about. can i be on Team Etta? even though there’s no reason to have a team for her? Etta FTW!!

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 7, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having Eyal around will help ease my sense of loss regarding Simon. Can’t wait to see more of him and Annie.

I’m also torn about the idea of an older Olivia. I just (rather desperately) want a happy ending for Peter and Olivia. Like so much.

Comment by Kels – September 7, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are four young women who have been cast in recurring roles for Grey’s upcoming season. It could be any one of them who could be Alex’s love interest. They are Camilla Luddington, Tina Majorino, Tessa Ferrer and now, Jerrika Hinton.

Comment by CC – September 7, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so fed up with all the recurring roles on Grey’s Anatomy. They would have done better having kept the actors they already had. Argh! I’ve decided. I’m not watching it anymore. When Private Practice is done, no more Shonda, ever again.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 7, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize the gang is all over the place this season?Gotta have new recurrings.

Comment by Shaun – September 7, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as much as i like eyal/oded, any love angle would be too soon after they killed off simon!!! bring him back!!! & then have annie, eyal & simon interact in at least 1 episode.

Comment by A – September 7, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! It seems like it’s way too soon for her to just move on from Simon unless they’re jumping ahead at some point. She was contemplating leaving her life to go be with him…how do you just turn around and forget him?? That’s not a character I would be invested in rooting for.

Comment by Allison – September 11, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Glee Season 4!!!

Comment by J – September 7, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess one of these new RECURRING characters will be one to knock Alex over with a feather kind.

Comment by Heather (@auzzigrey) – September 8, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s a feather kind?

Comment by Leeza – September 8, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Eyal on Covert Affairs. He and Annie have such great banter. I was devestated over Simon’s death. Please do not let Eyal and Annie become more than friends. She needs a friend to share her grief with in addition to Auggie. Simon, Eyal, Annie and Auggie would have upped the action factor in so many ways. Russia, Isreal and USA spies on crossover missions.

Comment by nene – September 10, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would have been awesome to expand the show in that way! Keep Annie as the focus but show a broader picture of different spy agencies around the world and have them working together. Alas, it’s not to be..

Comment by Allison – September 11, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post