Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Exclusive Fringe First Look! Plus Scoop on Grey's, Glee, Covert and More

Will Fringe issue an “amber” alert for Olivia? Does Glee make “Time” for Klaine kloseness? Who’s the new girl on Grey’s? When will Eyal embark on his next Covert mission? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from hot shows.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Fringe, Glee and 44 Other Shows

Fringe | We open this week’s column with a bit of visual splendor: a first look at Season 5, which premieres Sept. 28. In this exclusive image from the final season’s first episode, titled “Transilience Thought Unifier Model 11,” you’ve got circa-2036 Peter, Astrid and Etta checking out a block of amber from which, it appears, at least a few people have been sawed out. Could it be that Olivia, too, was ambered for twentysome years? “You’ll have to wait and see,” showrunner Joel Wyman hedged during our fall preview Q&A. “If she got ambered, if she’s the same age, if she’s not…. You’ll have to wait and see.” Wyman did allow this much; whether it’s a hint is for you to decide: “You’ve got to figure that ambering yourself is kind of a cool thing!”

Glee | TVLine’s resident Gleek, Michael Slezak, has already shared his 13 observations of the Season 4 premiere, but what’s the harm in a few more? I see some of you asking about “Klaine,” and the fact of the matter is they really don’t share a quality scene until about two-thirds of the way into the hour – but when they do, I have every faith it will satisfy their fans, as Blaine finds a special way to tell his beau “It’s Time.” (But for what…?) All in all, I found it to be a rather strong premiere, buoyed by solid debuts from Kate Hudson (as a cocksure NYADA teach who isn’t without her tragic flaws) and Melissa Benoist (playing New Direction wannabe Marley Rose, who boasts one of the meatier backstories for a noob. But I must agree with Slezak that the new girl falls short in her “duet” with Rachel. ) Plus, the on-location NYC shots help sell Rachel’s metropolitan odyssey, which in the first hour ends in tears – including likely your own. On the lighter side, Brittany has two of her funniest lines ever – one involving a case of mistaken identity with Unique, and the other lamenting what she and Santana can and cannot do via Skype.

Grey’s Anatomy | Is this woman, at right, the one with which Alex will, as Shonda Rhimes previewed, find “real love with,” “somebody who doesn’t leave him for once”? Make no mistake, I am 115-percent spit-balling with that opening line, but it does pave the way for me to introduce you to Jerrika Hinton, who ABC has confirmed will recur during Season 9 as Stephanie, a Seattle Grace intern. (Hinton blogged a photo of herself on set.) The actress’ credits include guest-starring turns on Season 1 of Rhimes’ Scandal, as well as Bones and Lie to Me.

RELATED | Exclusive Ask Ausiello Scoop: Covert Affairs Casts Eyal’s Boss

Covert Affairs | Eyal fans, we’ve got some news you’re going to love. Oded Fehr is coming back for five of the final six episodes of Season 3, which kick off on Oct. 16. “Annie’s in some jeopardy, and Eyal comes in to help her in Episode 311,” executive producer Matt Corman tells TVLine, adding that the hour is the show’s “most high-octane” one yet. “Their relationship is going to develop over this back six [episodes]. They’re spending more time together, so it’ll deepen and it will be tested in ways that we haven’t yet seen. You’ll see more complexity out of that relationship.”

Leverage | The TNT drama’s double-episode summer finale arrives Sept. 16, and the second hour leaves the heavy lifting to Hardison, Parker and Eliot. “It’s a really great episode because you get to see the three kids go off to play without ‘mommy and daddy’ for a minute,” Aldis Hodge told me. “You get to see us truly in our element, and for the first time see what our team looks like when we’re on our own.” As directed by exec producer Dean Devlin and involving a biological threat to D.C., Hodge says the finale features “cool new shots” and a “different style,” all adding up to offer “a different version of what Leverage can be…. I think it will be one of the best episodes we’ve had.”

Reader Mail Rapid-Fire | No, Mel, I just checked and there is no word yet on A&E’s The Glades being renewed…. Yes, Linda, Body of Proof‘s Megan is getting a new – or new/old – love interest in Human Target‘s Mark Valley, who plays an ex-flame now working for the Philly PD, and there are no plans at this time for Jamie Bamber to return as Aiden…. And to Charlie, who’d been asking about The Mentalist‘s 100th episode: Check out our Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular!

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. julia says:

great Covert Affairs news

• Amy says:

Agreed! I love Eyal. Great character; great actor.

• Shaun says:

Was that the summer finale or something?

• Katie says:

I think there are still two more episodes. So September 18th will be the “summer finale”, but then they’ll pick up again on October 16th.

• Kate says:

LOVE that Eyal will be a big part of the rest of season 3! I just do not get the way USA does their “seasons” though. Why go off for a month and then come back? It makes zero sense to me.

• Katie says:

I don’t understand this year’s Covert Affairs schedule, either. I’m sure there’s a reason for it, but I like when USA shows have their “summer season” from, like, June through August, and then they come back for the second half of the season in January, like Suits and Necessary Roughness are doing this year.

• It's-a me Mario! says:

Mamma mia! Its-a great news! Oded Fehr is the second best thing in the show so the more we get to see him the better!

2. B says:

AWESOME eyal and Annie :)))

3. Juli says:

More Eyal (and Annie/Eyal)! So excited!

4. Kat says:

Yay more Eyal!

5. Tia says:

That better be not Alex’s love interest.

• alix says:

Uh, why not? I don’t want to jump to any angry conclusions before you clarify.

• A says:

I agree. She’s an intern. Alex is past all that crap. He needs to find someone at the same level as him. Someone who is more mature and not just beginning their life. I mean the intern/doctor relationship may have worked out with Meredith and Derek but not with Alex. He’s more mature and at a later stage in his life and been through enough intern drama with Megan to know that relationships with interns is not a good idea

6. AC says:

Oh I so want Karev to find true love.

7. Can’t wait till they find Olivia and Etta, Peter and Olivia reunite. Can’t wait for first scene between mother and daughter

8. katy917 says:

Proving once again why I worship you Matt, with scoop on 4 of my fave shows :)

Fringe – I’m unsure if I like the idea of Olivia being older – where does that leave her and Peter?? But cannot WAIT for the season to start, if only it could last forever!! :(

I still love Glee and am looking forward to season 4 so much! Lea Michele does heart broken like no other and I love her for it!!

Can’t wait for Alex to get some real lovin’ on GA, it’s about sodding time!!

And yay for much more Eyal – I have loved Oded Fehr since his Zankou days and adore him on CA!! Looking forward to seeing him in more than just the odd episode!!

I didn’t expect so much scoopage goodness after yesteday’s huge fall preview palooza so thank you!! You’ve made my Friday!!! :)

9. Hank says:

Great news about Eyal. Finally a non-stereotyped Israeli regular character on TV.

10. Jarrod says:

An attending (Alex) getting with an intern? He might as well get with Morgan if they’re going to introduce him getting with a new doctor that doesn’t revolve a transfer from another hospital. Besides, why label a recurring cast member the possible “real love” of Alex’s life? Shonda, you’re grasping at stairs. Realistically, Alex would be more focused on his fellowship and sleeping around then jumping into a relationship with an intern, especially seeing as he hates interns.

• Lauren says:

Alex slept with an intern in Season 7. It was the episode where at the end Callie told Arizona she was pregnant, in an elevator (and a song by The Nationals was playing in the background). And Derek was an attending when he screwed intern Meredith in the series pilot. This is not unheard of on Grey’s.

11. Shaun says:

I thought Alex had a caucasian girl type that he went after……Izzie,Addison,Other blonde.Dunno,maybe those 3 were just coincidences and he falls for most female docs,lol.

12. Kay says:

Regarding Glee: When Blaine sings “It’s Time” to Kurt, I think it is when Kurt is getting ready to leave for NYC. I just hope that they get to share a proper goodbye moment (emotional) but not sure if that will happen. They haven’t had many of those moments since “Dance With Somebody” (where they hugged and said “I Love You.”). When they had “the talk” at the beginning of “Goodbye” they at least held hands but that’s about it. I am looking forward to the premiere but am dreading Episode 4 when they walk away from each other in tears after their walk in the park (scenes filmed in NYC in August). I am hoping that they will be able to work things out and be together before the end of the season (or before). Rachel and Kurt in NYC should be interesting. I can just imagine what Brittany is talking about via Skype (oh my).

13. Emily says:

Ah, but age makeup would be a b**** to deal with every day. I think Olivia’s got something up her sleeve. After all, we can’t have her too much older than Peter!

14. Patti says:

Thanks for the scoop. I am very excited for Fringe and the Leverage scoop is awesome and I like the analogy of Hardison,Parker and Eliot as the three kids. Love when those three have scenes together.

15. dsm says:

Awesome Fringe scoop – thanks!
    I’m wondering if they’re going to make Olivia be “older” than Peter now? If she got out of Amber before Peter, Astrid & Walter then she could definitely be a different “age”.

16. Renee says:

Love Eyal, LOVE Oded Fehr. He makes great characters and is very hot.

17. Kay says:

Matt: I forgot to mention – thanks for including the part about Klaine in your article. They never seem to get mentioned in the other articles and since they are my favorite couple I am glad you at least could share a little bit about them. Again, thank you.

18. Eleanor says:

FIVE episodes? Oh wow, yes! Ffffffffitty YES. I have so much irrational adoration for Eyal. Of course, I also have a newly developed distrust of the CA writers on not KILLING him dead, but…um…yeah, now I’m just…that high-pitched fangirl scream that irritates bats? That’d be me. So excited.

• Svenska says:

SOOOOOOOOOOO with you here Eleanor. Long time (Since The Mummy days) fan. Love Eyal and Love Oded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Eleanor says:

He was great in The Mummy! And also Burn Notice. Highly entertaining — but Eyal is by FAR my favorite of his characters. Totally with you on love for him! WAY too much awesome there. :D

19. Anonymous says:

YES! Love Eyal’s character on Covert Affairs.

20. Linds says:

Bummer, I loved seeing Jamie Bamber on American tv…

21. ktbanks says:

WOOOOOOO! EYAL!!!! I literally cheered out loud upon reading that. FIVE episodes?! I’m so excited…..

22. cjeffery7 says:

YES! ETTA’S BACK! that’s all i care about. can i be on Team Etta? even though there’s no reason to have a team for her? Etta FTW!!

23. Kels says:

Having Eyal around will help ease my sense of loss regarding Simon. Can’t wait to see more of him and Annie.

I’m also torn about the idea of an older Olivia. I just (rather desperately) want a happy ending for Peter and Olivia. Like so much.

24. CC says:

There are four young women who have been cast in recurring roles for Grey’s upcoming season. It could be any one of them who could be Alex’s love interest. They are Camilla Luddington, Tina Majorino, Tessa Ferrer and now, Jerrika Hinton.

25. I’m so fed up with all the recurring roles on Grey’s Anatomy. They would have done better having kept the actors they already had. Argh! I’ve decided. I’m not watching it anymore. When Private Practice is done, no more Shonda, ever again.

26. A says:

as much as i like eyal/oded, any love angle would be too soon after they killed off simon!!! bring him back!!! & then have annie, eyal & simon interact in at least 1 episode.

• Allison says:

Totally agree! It seems like it’s way too soon for her to just move on from Simon unless they’re jumping ahead at some point. She was contemplating leaving her life to go be with him…how do you just turn around and forget him?? That’s not a character I would be invested in rooting for.

27. J says:

I can’t wait for Glee Season 4!!!

28. I guess one of these new RECURRING characters will be one to knock Alex over with a feather kind.

29. nene says:

I love Eyal on Covert Affairs. He and Annie have such great banter. I was devestated over Simon’s death. Please do not let Eyal and Annie become more than friends. She needs a friend to share her grief with in addition to Auggie. Simon, Eyal, Annie and Auggie would have upped the action factor in so many ways. Russia, Isreal and USA spies on crossover missions.

• Allison says:

That would have been awesome to expand the show in that way! Keep Annie as the focus but show a broader picture of different spy agencies around the world and have them working together. Alas, it’s not to be..