Glee Season 4 Premiere: 13 Quick Observations

Glee Season 4 PremiereFall screener season has arrived, and I’m stoked to report that I’ve now had a chance to view the Season 4 premiere of Glee. The good news? Those of you who’ve been fretting over the show’s new split focus between the adventures of the New Directions gang in Lima, OH, and its MVP graduate Rachel Berry in New York City, can channel your inner Whitney Houston and finally exhale.

Ryan Murphy & Co. have, at least in Episode 1, managed to beautifully balance these dueling locations in a way that never feels schizophrenic or jarring. Rachel’s life as a freshman at NYADA is filled with a pitch-perfect anxiety and tension you’d expect from a little fishie who’s just been dropped from a backyard pond into the Atlantic Ocean. And the power vaccuum left at McKinley after the exit of Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Mercedes, and Santana gives some of the show’s often-dormant supporting players some interesting new angles to play.

PHOTOS | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of Glee — Plus 46 Other Shows!

Here are 13 observations I took home from watching the very, very good “The New Rachel”:

* Cassandra July (Kate Hudson) starts her humiliation of Rachel right in the cold open — and while it’s 98 percent arbitrary, it has to be said the wide-eyed New Directions vet calls attention to herself with a justified (but not entirely well-disguised) side-eye at her new teacher.

* Jacob Ben Israel is back to do his usual start-of-the-season exposition/meta-commentary on Gleek message-board chatter, and his video package ends with a burning question that might take all season to answer: “Who is the new Rachel?”

* Tina’s got a brand new “Make Change Forever” tattoo, and if you stare at those letters long enough, you might be able to grasp their significance.

* The season premiere also raises the important question: If you haven’t heard from your boyfriend for more than two months, is it okay to do a little bit of window-shopping?

* New Cheerio Kitty (Becca Tobin) immediately establishes her beeeotch cred by grilling visiting graduate Kurt about why he’s not already away at college, then dropping in this zinger: “I thought gay people were all successful overachievers.”

PHOTOS | Glee Hot Shots: Rachel Vamps It Up for Britney 2.0

* Smash isn’t the only network TV musical that’s slipping a little something extra into the smoothies of its visiting movie-star’s character.

* Melissa Benoist’s Marley is introduced with a backstory so heart-tugging, it’s kind of impossible not to root for her. That said, Rachel’s half of “New York State of Mind” is decidedly superior.

* NYADA’s “Round Room” is sooooooo pretty. But sometimes ugly things happen there.

* Lea Michele has never been more perfect as Rachel than in her delivery of the line, “I feel like I’m gonna throw up all the time.”

* Oh, and on a related note, Cassandra is introduced as kind of a one-note vicious harpie, but that doesn’t mean you won’t secretly kind of feel like Rachel deserves (just a tiny bit) and could benefit from (a lot) her barbaric teaching methods.

* Mike O’Malley once again uses seconds of screentime to brilliant (and tear-jerking effect) as TV Dad of the Year/Decade Burt Hummel.

* Kitty takes over from Santana as Head Cheerleader in Charge of Vicious Nicknames. Best one so far? Richie Poor.

* And finally, while I’m still not 100 percent certain Alex Newell can act, he definitely scores a big laugh with Unique’s response to her very first slushie. “Unique’s eyes! They’re on fire!” Oh girl, keep on keeping on with your unsinkable attitiude, mmmkaay?

1. IAmUnicorn_x says:

I just want brittana

2. Sam says:

How unsurprising that TV Line says nothing about Klaine here.

• Brooke says:

Agreed! I think TV Line shows it’s always Anti-Klaine and Anti-Finchel. They either post nothing or snarky comments that annoy people!

• Zak says:

Well Rachel and Finn broke up so I wouldn’t expect any reporting on them anytime in the near future. And since we have yet to see the episode who knows if their is anything to report about Blaine and Kurt. Not reporting something because theirs nothing to report is very different than going out of their way to not report something on purpose. I honestly don’t care one way or another since I mostly glaze over these articles, but something tells me the staff at TvLine would report it if theirs something to say since my guess it what get’s them the most clicks and their by more money from ad’s.

• Andrew says:

Good. I hate Klaine. I’m glad they’re not biased, idiotic Klaine stans like everybody else.

• Andrew says:

BTW, you do realize the main picture is of Klaine, right?

• rob says:

The writer is being vague as not to do major spoiling, my first thought on the boyfriend not around was Kurt & what’s his name.

• Jared says:

TVLine is the best TV news site on the web! Don’t bash them because there isn’t any new info on a story-line that happens to be your favorite! They post and report on every aspect of every show, all the time.

Go to another site if you’re just gonna be a hater.

• Kay says:

I was hoping they would mention Klaine as well. I am watching to see what kind of drama they are going to throw at them and how they handle the long-distance relationship once Kurt moves to NYC. Also, the other couples going through the same thing (Mike/Tina, Santana/Brittany) – guess we will find out about Finn/Rachel soon enough. I will continue to watch to see how they handle the Glee Club this year – love most of the music they do. Not too excited about the Brittany episode though since they had one in Season 2. Not real excited about Wade/Unique because I did not really care for that character. I don’t want to give up on this show because if they do break-up Kurt and Blaine I want to see if they get back together before the show ends (I hope so – I love these two guys and want them to make it official someday).

• marley says:

I love Kurt and Blaine. they’re my favorite couple, i really doubt they will be apart for too long though! the fans loved them it would be pretty stupid of them lol i’m not that excited about the britt episode (i didn’t like the first one) but i heard the version of gimme more with heather and it’s good so i’ll see

• Rocker Rocker says:

Because KLAINE is an embarrassment. The worst couple on TV the past year. I’m so glad Murphy is breaking this passionless, clunky couple up. Perhaps now Blaine can get a man worthy of him, not some eunuch Kewpie doll with a shrill singing voice.
      And, seriously – how OLD are you (or anyone really) to have to use the term “Klaine” or “Finchell”. How embarrassingly infantile.

• Mara says:

God bless you, Rocker Rocker. ..though I like Kurt and dislike Blaine, but to each their own. (I just don’t like them together. There’s no chemistry.)

The constant nicknaming of couples drives me absolutely insane. Does it take that much longer to type ‘Finn and Rachel’?

‘Finn and Rachel’ are both awful characters and I would have been happy to see them both gone this season.

See how easy that was?

• elise says:

wow. i’m not a fan of klaine but this “Blaine can get a man worthy of him, not some eunuch Kewpie doll with a shrill singing voice.” was really offensive. try to stay polite

• Henry says:

I think people only make comments like that because random people make fun of Blaine’s hair and clothes and attitude, and say he’s not good enough for Kurt.

Effeminophobic comments are never cool.

& Bashing leads to more bashing etc.

I like Blaine
          I like Kurt too.

I like when they’re boyfriends, and I wouldn’t mind them breaking up so we can get a bit of breathing space in fandom.

• marley says:

Agree! seriously people don’t have nothing better to do that bashing characters or couple they are clearly loved. chris and darren have a lot of chemistry everybody keep saying that, journals talk shows, i mean, it’s evident. i love klaine even if admit i’m more a kurt fan so i’m fine with a break up as long kurt is happy on his own (; so if they broke up even if for a couple of episodes i would prefere seeing kurt+another guy that blaine with another one. but again i’ll wait the ep.

• wsho says:

Kurt is way more than that bland, boring character deserves. Here’s hoping once they break up that Kurt ends up with an interesting character that actually deserves him. Too bad for you that once they actually do break up Blaine will cease to relevant since he only is now as Kurt’s boyfriend.

• Henry of the hiatus says:

He’s far from boring and bland. He has more stuff going for him than some of the other characters. :)

• Marco says:

Yeah, sure, he’s a hypocritical cheater, a guy who decides to sweet-talk his boyfriend into having sex in order to be BETTER IN A SCHOOL PLAY, a guy who gets drunk and gets down with his inner Chris Brown (not a compliment), a guy who’s all words but when push comes to shove, his biggest priority is himself.

• evudently says:

except that he’s none of those things?

• evudently says:

Kurt was far more of a borderline cheater. Blaine never cheated. He wanted to be friends with the new lead of his old show choir (one he was vocal about being close to). Because he was having a hard time fitting in at WMHS (Because Finn was being awful to him).
            Kurt was the one who brought up sex FIRST. basically guilting him by calling thier relationship boring. And Sebastian reaffirmed that by talked about how much sex he’s having, and how much he’s drinking and how much he can afford to go to france.
            He initiated sex, not because he really really wanted to but because Kurt, Sebastian, Artie. ALL OF THESE people (and society) were telling him it was what he should want to do, in order to be mature and wordly.

Of course calling him chris brown is not a compliment. Do you think I’m that much of a twat?

This is glee. I think you’ll find that everyone is an egotistical bitch. Kurt and Rachel most of all.
            Blaine is normal compared to them.

• Henry says:

I want Blaine to be single though.

• Keenan says:

Thank god! I like having a refuge.

3. Laure says:

The New York storyline continues to sound great. Once Kurt is there I wish they’d just forget Ohio exists.

4. Mafer says:

I want My Finchel back!

• BJ says:

I want my Finn back! I can’t believe Cory won’t be in the season premiere. I know he was off filming his movie, but still I will miss his lovely face. Sad fan here. :(

5. Nix says:

I just want Finchel.

6. Jon says:

I really don’t care for the direction the show is headed. I read Finn and Rachel break up again which doesnt interest me. Also, Finn not in the first few eps is depressing and stupid.

7. Brok says:

I’m a little interested in Rachel at NYADA but none of the new cast interests me. I just want Finchel back.

8. Mafer says:

I’m not tuning in when I don’t even have a little glimpse of Finn! when you bring back Finn and our Finchel get back together then I’ll watch

9. Lo says:

No Finchel. No good.

10. tracy says:

I’m sick of Marley already.

11. Janis says:

So… when do we get a Finn/Rachel reunion?????

12. ishwar says:

Finchel Forever thats all I’m going to say. Whether you like it or not, they are the core couple of the show. Way way way more than any of the other boring couples such as Klaine and Brittana who don’t have anything exciting to offer. Finchel on the other hand, right from Season 1 Episode 1 ‘Pilot’ they had a connection

• Jennifer says:

Why are Finchel fans going all militant against Klaine and Brittana? Your couple gets 10 times more focus than either of them and will probably still get more moments than Brittana this season even though Finchel is broken up. Enjoy your thing and let us enjoy ours.

• Evan says:

With ‘connection’ do you mean all the endless drama over nothing? The fact that they broke up more than any big couple on the show? Or the fact that Quinn made Finn see fireworks and Rachel didn’t? Or the fact that they did so many things in their relationship for the wrong reasons (like Rachel wanting to have sex to better her role and then doing it out of pity and agreeing to marry Finn because she thought NYADA had rejected her). What about the fact that they seem to fight ten times more than any other couple? So if Klaine and Britanna are boring because they have an actual connection, then I rather watch them being boring.

• Martie says:

These writers cannot write a functional relationships. Either they’re knee deep in drama and conflist or they are neglected in the plots. No, I don’t want my favorite actors, Lea Michele and Cory Monteith, just sit there in the background being wallpaper all season. As a fan, I’d rather have them front and center deep in plots where they can hone their acting skills.

• Tara says:

hdu say that marrying because you’re insecure is not the most romantic circumstance, I mean the communication and connection in this relationship is unparalleled ~~~soulmates~~~

• carrie says:

other couples never get a chance because of all the Finchel drama. I don’t ship Klaine or Brittana but I would much rather see them on screen than be forced to watch any more of the Finchel show, and for the record I actually shipped Finchel in season 1, but now I feel like it is time for both Rachel and Finn to move on and give us all a break. Puckleberry for the win :)

13. Danni says:

No it is not ok to window shop after two months, especially if you were engaged to a person two months before and were supposedly in love with them. This show is ruining Rachel’s character just because they are too lazy to find alternative story lines to breaking couples up, involving a third party, breaking up, third party. They’ll never learn their lesson and I think it’s too late.

• Brooke says:

100% this!!!!!! If this is the way the “new Rachel” behaves, I’m not liking it. She’s allowed to grow up. Growing up does not mean dressing and behaving like a ho. Is this what the writers think that all girls going to college behave like? (ok… maybe I did, but it was at least sophomore year!)

• Amy says:

wow it’s always so refreshing to see slut shaming. No, wait, sorry you’re right I guess when Finn made his great sacrifice of what I do not know he should have given her a chastity belt.

• Unfortunate says:

lol you chicks are pathetic. Praying that my generation produces women smarter and stronger than you two.

• Stacey says:

Technically Finn broke it off. Called off the wedding. Although it was all done so quasi, that Rachel is trying to figure out what is going on probably. She still had the ring in the finale. If she hasn’t hear from Finn in two months, I can see why she is torn and maybe looking at other guys…

• Kay says:

When I read that about the window-shopping, I automatically thought of Tina (Mike went to Joffrey in Chicago) but maybe they were talking about Rachel.

14. Person says:

I just want Rachel news, Finn new, & Finchel

15. anon says:

I would hope that Rachel wouldn’t be doing any window shopping yet. Are the writers trying to disregard everything that’s happened over the 3 years that has brought Finchel to this point?

• Danni says:

Completely agree. It’s just like a giant punch in the face to people that have stuck by for three seasons, and it just makes their writing look poor and their relationship cheap!

• Alex says:

Their relationship started looking cheap in season 2, got ridiculous in season 3, and the writers are hopefully seeing that those two are a lot more interesting separated than together.

• kate says:

I agree the way they pushed them back together in season 2 was cheap and not earned and did not resolve any of the issues or reasons they broke up. In season three they ruined the characterization of both characters and made them ridiculously occ to keep them together in the silly engagement storyline which ended with them breaking up. I really hope we get to see them apart and in good storylines instead where they develop the characters instead of devolve them.

• carrie says:

Preach :) I want season one Rachel back who was determined to be a star so much that nothing would stand in her way. Why she was going put her life on hold for a guy who has no idea what he wants from life so he proposes to his girlfriend before they have even left high school, is beyond me. Let Finn find himself, and let Rachel live her dream in New York where one day she will run into Puck and realise she is meant to be with him :)

16. Brooke says:

Let me know when Cory Monteith is back. Finn and Finchel are why I watch Glee and I won’t be back until he is. I’ll read recaps on tumblr. Not interested in the New Directions part anymore (how did Alex Newell get a part? TERRIBLE ACTOR!) and not interested in this New Rachel who apparently thinks that growing up means dressing like a ho and making on muscle guys (bring back Puck instead of this Brody if she needs a muscle man!)

• Sarah says:

There are many reasons I don’t plan on watching this season but Alex Newell is definitely one of the reasons. He is incredibly grating and I don’t get their fascination with him. They already had more characters than they could handle but all these new ones and a split focus? Seems like they just blew up what was once a really interesting show.

• ggny says:

Finn isnt in the first 4 episodes from what i read. And yes Alex Newell is a horrible actor i plan to DVR past all of the new members stuff

17. pam says:

I was excited post the season finale because I thought it would be interesting to see how they continued the Finn/Rachel story, but now I see they are definitely breaking up and things just don’t seem so interesting. Having those two actors apart for several episodes isn’t the smartest thing to do, IMO.

18. felicia says:

just happy that it looks like a good episode. wish finn and santana were around in this episode though.

19. Allyson says:

Well, I will say this Alex acts better than Damian (what was Ryan Murphy thinking of him) without a doubt. Now he was a bit of a diva on the Glee Project, so I was pretty annoyed with him, but than again it was a reality tv show. It is good to see Rachel struggling a bit. Perhaps it will help motivate her in order for her to succeed over there. She will soon realize how she is surronding by talented people and she has to fight for her spot there. I wonder if Ryan keeping some of the main characters on for season 4 was due to their rival, NBC’s hit Smash. I do hope to see Samuel return, b/c I thought he should be the only winner of the first season of Glee Project.

• Andy says:

Alex Newell is a positively HORRIFYING! actor and you can have his”singing” if you want it; but, I’d much rather hear Damian McGinty sing as he has a phenomenal voice—-sings with heart and soul—whereas Newell screeches BIG time like a cat with his tail that just got set on fire by a flame thrower! Conversely, I loved “Take Care of Yourself, Damian’s New Directions audition song, “Blue Christmas” and “Home”; plus, he is the ONLY!!! one out of the entire cast that could have done justice to “It’s Not Easy Being Green without it becoming cartoonish—-the ONLY ONE!!! P.S…., Damian can act Newell under the table 100 times over! WHY the producers went out of their way to HIDE his talents is infuriating, to say the least. Frankly, I think he did a great job in “Pot ‘O Gold”, the X-mas episode and especially “Heart.” He has an impressive resume which includes performing in the multi-million dollar enterprise called “Celtic Thunder”, a stage show which is famous internationally; it’s CD’s and DVD’s have sold well over 1,000,000 copies topping the Billboard and Amazon charts for all 6 years the stage show has been in existence!! (5 of which Damian performed in since the age of 14.) He has performed at the White House, Radio City Music Hall in NYC, on numerous PBS specials, for dignitaries such as President Barack Obama (at the age of 15, I believe)—LIVE, no lip-synching!—for members of the U.S Senate and the House of Representatives, and other worldwide venues with up to 15,000 seat capacities….The list goes on and on and on! “What was Ryan Murphy thinking” when he chose Damian as a winner? Trust me, he (and the other Glee executive producers) were FULLY!!!! aware of Damian’s resume and the incredible talent he brought to the table! The executives saw a cash cow and a ratings booster for the show. But, ONCE yet again, WHY did Murphy, Brennan and Falchuk do what they did to McGinty and perpetuate the myth that the kid could neither sing nor act? One word——Ryan, Ian and Brad are what I like to affectionately refer to as pr***s!! (rhymes with sticks, for those of you that can’t figure out the word.) I believe those three NEVER intended to write a substantial role for the young gentleman—they deliberately set him up for a one-way trip out the Glee door because they had BIGGGG! plans for Newell’s character…..big, big plans. McGinty was used as a plot device, background scenery, and an audience draw (The kid has at least an 800,000 strong fan base—-probably more! Newell—–about 35,000 ….get the picture?!) I believe that there’s a very very special place reserved beyond the River Styx for those three!! They, pure and simple, have tunnel vision that allows them to only write story lines revolving around Gay issues…. forsaking all others at the actors’ expense who have the misfortune of not being cast in Gay /Lesbian (transgender/cross-dresser/etc.) roles. Thus, you have Unique being brought on board in a big way and Mr. McGinty being tossed away like day old trash! Hopefully, now that I’ve armed you with the truth of what is going on behind closed doors over at Glee central, you will be able to make a MORE informed decision regarding Alex Newell versus Damian McGinty. Nothing like the light of day to put things in perspective. Right?……One can only hope…….:)…..[Here's hoping your obvious bias towards Samuel Larsen----another terrible actor with the most non-descript voice (I'm being kind here) out of the entire cast---will have lessened. To use your words, "What was Ryan thinking?!" when he chose HIM as a co-winner! As to just how "real" the first season of the "reality" show was----come on! Samuel was a ringer just like Blake Jenner, Lindsay Pearce and Michael Weisman were. All of them were brought in by the casting director through "industry channels" with the undoubtedly tacit approval of Murphy and other executive producers. Jenner was seen by Glee executives at least 10 times prior to being chosen to be on TGP2. Samuel Larsen auditioned for the part that went to Chord Overstreet, Lindsay Pearce had direct connections with Robert Ulrich, the casting director of Glee and TGP, through a talent contest in Modesto, CA ---Ulrich' s hometown (and also Lindsay's): and,Weisman knew Ulrich at least 2 years prior to coming on board TGP2. Coincidence...."reality" show....?....No on both counts.......Something for you to chew on....]

20. Anonimous says:

Glee S4 sucks and it’s a sinking Titanic! RIP Glee! Without Finchel you will sink in ratings! Wait for the Premiere and will see if i’m Right or Wrong!

• katie says:

Glee lost almost 40% of their viewers and had a similar drop in the demo last season when Finn and Rachel were engaged so I don’t think they’re as big a draw as you Finchel shippers seem to think. You can’t even really compare a ratings drop and say it’s because Finn and Rachel are apart because changing the format by having split storylines and the air night (going against grey’s and which already gets better ratings and demo numbers than glee on a more competitive night) is definitely going to effect the ratings more than if a poorly written couple is together or not.

21. anon says:

I am so sad that Finn is not in this episode. I am counting the days until his return and I hope that there is something to look forward to where Finchel is concerned. They are the core couple of the show, and I hate how they are being treated to start season 4. Finn and Rachel are meant to be. FinchelForever

22. Inigo says:

If Rachel can move on so quickly and so easily, it doesn’t speak well for her character.

• shippers suck says:

What BS. First she is just friends with Brody. And exactly how long is long enough to wait. Stop putting this in Rachel. BS Finchel fans don’t care about Rachel unless she is tethered to hapless Finn.

• Inigo says:

You have no idea what I care about. The question was asked if it was okay to window-shop after not hearing from your boyfriend for two months. As this points to Rachel, I answered that it wouldn’t speak well of Rachel if she did window-shop after the feelings she purported to have over the last three years, and particularly the last twelve months, for Finn. If you think differently, make the point rather than attack and ascribed motives to others for their politely-stated opinion.

23. Carol Ucl says:

I just want my Puck and Quinn back!

24. Lauren says:

Tuning out. No Finchel and tired of only them EVER breaking up! Just want my Finchel back asap!

25. Blainey says:

Okay the first episode sounds interesting, I’m not gonna lie.

26. Kaycee says:

I hate that Unique is a member of New Directions. We’ve had the whole .. “I’m moving to McKinley” storyline with Blaine and Jesse. I would’ve rather had Unique appear only at the competitions as a rival to ND, because you’re right, Alex cannot act.

27. Lilly says:

I just want Finn and Finchel back and I don’t care about anything else until that happens.

28. Yes! says:

Ugh, so excited that Rachel has something to do that doesn’t involve her relationship. I love Rachel and this Cassandra character sounds like a hoot. Also, really looking forward to that duet.

29. Marcela says:

I’m probably not tuning in until Finn’s back. He is truly the heart of Glee, while Rachel is, IMO, Glee’s star. Without one, I can’t appreciate the show. And it’s not a bad thing. The writers did a great job selling me on these characters that I can’t entertain the notion of Glee existing without both. I only wish the writers remembered all of the time and STORY they invested in Finn and Rachel. To me, Finchel is forever.

30. C says:

Did somebody get a “Mike Chang Forever” tattoo and then have to change it after a break up? Hmm

• Blainey says:

This is kind of genius.
      And clever.

Poor Tike though.

• Kalee says:

Did not think of a possible tatoo edit from a break-up. I thought it was just clever word play.

If so, sad news for the longest-standing couple.

• murley says:

this is exactly what i thought too when i read that. it seems pretty clear to me. which is a shame because i like mike and tina.

• Kendall says:

That’s what I was going to say!

• Randi says:

I’m actually ok with this break-up. To me its always seemed like Tina in love with Mike than he was with her. She was always crying because she loved him so much and doing things for him like helping him with his applications to dance schools. We never saw him do anything extra for her. Yes, they were cute together but the writers could have made his feelings more convincing.

31. Nguyen says:

Mike Chang Forever! :))))))))))))))))

32. Amy says:

Yeah I agree with some that if they move Rachel on to someone else it just looks bad. I was excited about the Finn and Rachel journey but not anymore. I’ll move onto another show now

33. Brooke says:

I think the writers think that Finchel fans will always be there (since we have been since 1×1) and that no matter how hard they push us or abuse us, that we will stick around. I find Brad’s interview on TV Line has pushed me completely past my breaking point. I’ll stick around for a lot of things (I have) but to say things that completely negate your OWN writing (sounding like your bored of what you are writing) and questioning everything that has happened between them has made me tune out. I’m down. Over it. I’ll watch gifs on tumblr. I’ll even illegally download it before I give them any of my ratings. Forget me buying the songs from iTunes (except Finn or Finchel duets)

• melp1124 says:

Totally agree with you there. RIB even stated in season two that the break up that season was because they were bored. They don’t know what they are even writing anymore. The idea of Brody makes a lot of viewers sick, and I just can’t stomach it. Also, a tiny part of me can’t help but wonder if this is happening because RIB was mad at the actors. Jane Lynch confirmed you can tell in the scripts when Ryan is mad at someone…. :/

34. Cami says:

Ugh so many Finn and Finchel stans here… but isn’t Finchel break up in the season finale?I don’t get why people think that they’re still a couple? :s and where’s Santana?!

• Brooke says:

According to TV Line, they have to make their break up “official.” WTF right? Like we didn’t suffer and see that enough in the “goodbye” episode. It’s sloppy writing, uncreative and us “finchel stans” are over it. Completely done.

• felicia says:

thought they broke up too. ha

• Brooke says:

I agree with both of you. I think the writers have run out of any creative ideas and they resort back to 3rd parties, love triangles, etc. As a Finchel fan, I thought we were past this. Can anyone really buy them with anyone else after their love declaration in Saturday Night Fever or Goodbye? I think it’s a slap in the face to make us watching them break up AGAIN (for officially) Pisses me off!!! *I hope your ships fair better than Finchel, whoever they may be since no couple is safe in 4 apparently. Good luck!*

• Cami says:

Yeah is like an unnecessary pain all over again. But hey at least you know that Finchel is endgame I have to suffer all the time for just a little Brittana scene so *shrugs* thanks for the good luck! haha :)

• sky says:

But with RIB and their pretense they put out prior to an episode, I don’t and won’t hold on to anything about an endgame of any couple, especially Finchel. I just don’t trust the writers with an intelligent storyline for any couple. No couple is safe for endgame. IMO. I’m less gleeful here 1 week away from season 4’s debut. Fans of the show keep holding on to a good story for their favs. We’ll see.

• Di says:

I think Ryan Murphy is too busy with his other adventures to care about Glee, except for Lea and Chris. The other writers don’t seem to have a clue on how to write a series. All of the couples have so much untouched potential. Even Sugar and Rory had so many possibilities but were not given anything. Heart was the only time and they were so cute in it. Damian was good in TGP but they never wrote for Damian, just a stereotyped character that was boring most shows. Instead of building on the characters they had they split them up and hire more people. At least now I can watch Grey’s Anatomy.

• Aren says:

So much about your comment is so true. Ryan Murphy has a lot on his plate and relies on his fellows and staff to be creative for Glee’s future. Potential storylines have been passed over for rehash of reruns. Dropped storylines and originality will be Glee’s sink or swim this season, IMO.

• mary says:

IMO I dont mind the Finchel break up because that final scene was beautiful and I hope they will be endgame. What I have a problem with is the “moving on” part. Even if they are teasing. I love Rachel Berry as a character the driven and determined girl who knows what she wants. For her to have a new LI is beyond my understanding. I hope she gets friends but the show is selling LOVE for her. She deserved it but is so OOC for me and so done before. It will be boring for me. Hope Finn gets a good storyline too.

35. RyanT says:

Wino Forever

36. Me says:

We want finchel!

• jen says:

Not all of us do. Just to clarify. :)

• allison says:

Well I passionately love them, and the writers must too. Otherwise why are they the focus of so much attention by them. I swear 70% of all of Brad Falchuk’s interviews have been him talking about how they broke up or not broke up or whatever.

37. Nguyen says:

“Kitty takes over from Santana as Head Cheerleader in Charge of Vicious Nicknames. Best one so far? Richie Poor.”

I have a feeling that refers to Sam. Maybe she is Sam’s new mystery girl?

38. Me says:

I want finchel!

39. Shruti says:

Mr. Slezak, no disrespect intended, but please proofread your posts. The errors are a little distracting. Or get your minions to ;) Thanks.

40. Tiff says:

Im happy there isn’t any mention of finchel. The show has been shoving that couple down our throats way too much. I will forever root for klaine. I find them more loveable and interesting. Kurt is my favorite character on the show.

• Bryan says:

Good luck with your “interesting and loveable” Klaine since Kurt is moving to NYC in the end of the first episode and they are also reportedly breaking up in episode 4. I feel like they’ve been shoved down my throat and Blaine has become a bi-stander to Kurt’s character. I think Brittana are the head gay couple. So, like I said, good luck there.

• sel says:

well ryan said that kurt was unhappy, then happy, unhappy and then happy again so they will get back together since they’re one of the most popular couple
        also finchel has been shoerd down my throat too but i don’t complain about it. so .

41. Yay! says:

So excited for Rachel’s duet!

42. coryslady says:

I’m down for anything that doesn’t involve Finchel, so I’m actually looking forward to the start of this season. I hear that the break up happening in ep4 will stick for a while too so YAY. I love both the characters enough to see that they both need time and storylines away from each other for a while. A break might actually make them interesting again. I miss shipping them but I really couldn’t tolerate them in season three.

43. Mo says:

Is Puck mentioned in the episode? What about Mercedes?

44. Cam says:

I don’t understand how an episode without Finn can be very very good but anyway… ep 3 /4 he’ll be back right? maybe i’ll tune in by then

45. Barbara Uck says:

WHERE’S MY PUCK AND QUINN? TOGETHER, PLEASE.

46. melp1124 says:

Not interested without Finchel. The writers take us for granted. Let’s see how their ratings are this season without us interested. Also, without Cory, really not interested anyway.

• katie says:

I love how finn/rachel shippers seem to think they make up the whole viewing audience. The ratings for this show already suck, they dropped almost 40% in viewers and their demo numbers last season when finn and rachel were engaged. Obviously ratings are going to drop this season but not because a couple breaks up but because people just aren’t interested in watching gimicky storylines and character assassination not to mention that they’re doing a format change and moving to a new way more competitive night against shows that already get better numbers than glee. But no finn and rachel being apart will definately be the reason people stop tuning in.

• melp1124 says:

That’s because other fans gave up a long time ago. I’m not saying it will be the only reason, but it may be a part of it.

• Eiileen says:

Yeah and breaking Finn and Rachel up for the 5th time isn’t good writing and the general audience will see that. They may not stop watching because of the couple, per se, but they will see the repetitive writing and get bored. Finn and Rachel are the main couple maybe seconded by Kurt and Blaine so for fans to see repetitive breaking up after a season of them telling each other they are soul mates is a bit of a stretch.

• katie says:

I think the general audience tunes in to see a bunch of attractive people sing songs and aren’t as invested in the characters and relationships as you seem to think. You can say it may be part of it just like people can say the finn/rachel engagement storyline, which produced a lot of ooc characterization for finn and (overwhelmingly) for rachel to keep them together, is part of the reason for the big drop last season. The ratings are in the toilet already and it was last season that killed them, if anything this season will be the last nail in the coffin.

• sel says:

i want to marry this post. seriously. you know a LOT of chris fans are watching glee just because of him and if it wasn’t for him i would have dropped this show too because they ruined kurt! i mean yes i care about santana and artie, and quinn but kurt was the main reason . “Finn and Rachel are the main couple maybe seconded by Kurt and Blaine” thank you just for saying they aren’t popular lol

47. Kristin says:

Finchel is the only reason I watch Glee. I have no reason to tune in to this season if Rachel’s going to possibly be with Brody and Finn’s going to be in Lima. I’m done.

48. Cami says:

Waiting to see how the ratings gonna drop because of the Finchel fandom…..

49. Ellis says:

To all the Finchel stans who complain that the writers take them for granted: now you know how every fan of all the other couples feel. You guys have been overspoiled with Finchel last season while other fans had to do with a few episodes and a handful of moments in the background of Finchel.

• Eiileen says:

Well, they kinda are being taken for granted. The Finchel dynamic has been there since the very first episode and the writing made fans fall in love with them and then those fans had to sit through some hard times in S2 when both characters were written a little OOC at times. If the writers think those loyal fans are going to be okay with a 5th break-up I think they have a surprise ahead of them because it seems like those fans are dropping like flies. I don’t think the people who have said the writers are taking them for granted because of lack of screen time but it is important to those fans what fills that screen time. I fully believe it is time for Kurt and Blaine to break up at this point and hopefully that will bring on lots of scree time for that couple at this point.

• Emma says:

I find it so stupid that people keep nagging for Klaine to break-up. This isn’t 90210 or Gossip Girl. They’re a good couple. They’re a better match than Finn and Rachel. Sure , there can be some drama to spice things up here and there, which will give screen time by itself, but they don’t need to break-up.

• Eiileen says:

Well it is kinda the same thing as you saying they are a better pair than Finn and Rachel. You should thank the characters of Finn and Rachel for protecting your dynamic duo from splitting up at this point. The writers clearly appreciate that Lea and Cory can handle the heavy emotional scenes within a romantic relationship and they bypass Chris and Darren to give those to them. i don’t think at all that the writers see Kurt and Blaine as “better” they are just giving the heavier scenes to the main couple, yes Finn and Rachel. Like I said, you should thank the characters you seem to think aren’t “good” together because without them I guarantee you your couple would be on the chopping block.

• Emma says:

So it’s probably also thanks to Finchel that Tike, Britanna and Wemma are still together. All of them are a better match than Finchel, not just Klaine. Or can’t all those actors handle heavy scenes like Lea and Cory?

• Kate says:

I cannot agree with you more on this. Lea and Cory handle the heavy emotional scenes so well that the writers keep giving them all those drama. The epic car scene in the last final episode was so well received by the critics, I’ve never seen a scene in Glee that was so unanimously praised. Oh, but that doesn’t bode well for Finn and Rachel fans who want them to be happy. It’s a double bind.

• Mara says:

“The writers clearly appreciate that Lea and Cory can handle the heavy emotional scenes within a romantic relationship”

…Cory handles ‘sadness’ and ‘angst’ by looking like he’s constipated. Both their characters are terrible and nearly impossible to root for. Finn publicly humiliates Santana by outing her in front of the school and it’s forgotten. Rachel sent a character to a drug house because she was a better singer, and she insults other characters’ talent, pitches a fit when she doesn’t get her way, and she isn’t even that great of a singer. I end up PVRing Glee and skipping any scenes with them. It makes me so much happier.

50. Eiileen says:

I think I am tuned out for this season or at least the first half. I was so excited of the thought of Rachel, Finn, Kurt, and Santana in NY but it is clear that isn’t going to happen for a while. Also, everyone saying that Finn and Rachel “officially” breakup again is annoying. How much pain do they really want to put those fans through. I feel like so many of their fans have had enough of it and it is clear by these comments my feeling is right.