Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 47 Returning Favorites!

Your mourning period is officially over. September is in full swing, and couch potatoes everywhere are soaking up the first wave of endorphins that accompanies the onset of the fall TV season.

To celebrate the most wonderful time of the year, TVLine has compiled a comprehensive rundown on 47 returning favorites — from Gossip Girl to Grey’s Anatomy, from How I Met Your Mother to Parks and Recreation — packed with exclusive scoop you won’t find anywhere else.

RELATED | Visit TVLine’s Fall TV Headquarters For Scoop, Videos, Photos and More!

Which drama will kick off its season with a shocking death? Which one is building a one-time-only morgue set to finish off a spring cliffhanger? And which is saving the Grim Reaper’s appearance for November sweeps? Who’s mulling a vasectomy, and who’s definitely going to deliver a baby that some fans thought might be all foam and fury, signifying nothing? And what team of writers got inspired to put its leading man in the crosshairs of a “female sharpshooter under the influence of absinthe”?

RELATED | View the Complete Fall TV Schedule!

TVLine’s returning-favorites gallery has answers to all those questions and more, plus 22 photos you’ll only see on TVLine. So get started on clicking through the gallery below, and if you’ve still got an appetite for spoilers when you’re done, sign up to follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

Comments (156)

• And Arizona?!!

Comment by Florencia – September 6, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure she lives. It’s rumoured that she loses her leg. Callie and Derek probably bond over their loss of Mark (however Mark leaves), but if Arizona lives I would think her and Callie would spend more time together. Maybe they will and we’ll just have to wait to see how it plays out.

Comment by Jessica – September 6, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair! That is all :)

Comment by MB – September 6, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge. That is all!

Comment by iMember – September 6, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who and who?

Comment by Vivi – September 6, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Unforgettable?

Comment by Zoey – September 6, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • per Grey’s: I LOVE that Derek and Callie are going to become close(r) friends. Make sense since they both lose their best friend Mark.

Comment by marge – September 6, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s with the Humphrey?

Comment by A – September 6, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Happy Endings, you say that Nick Zano plays Penny’s new boyfriend, but also that the role of Penny’s new boyfriend is yet to be cast. Which is it?

Comment by Theorist – September 6, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The glee scoop is pretty depressing. How would this make anyone want to watch? I love Finchel and the breaking up is getting old. .

Comment by Cheesus – September 6, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess they figure if Finchel fans could watch Finn get with Quinn after breaking up with Rachel for kissing Puck (even though Quinn actually had sex with Puck, got pregnant, and tried to pass the baby off as his, which would completely change his life forever) then they’ll deal with anything. Me, I don’t care about Finchel, so I’ll still be watching. I actually don’t know how there are people who still care about them after they’ve broken up so many times, but to each their own.

Comment by Ali – September 6, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kurt and Rachel in new York will be great, love Chris colfer and lea Michele working together

Comment by NY – September 6, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn didn’t dump Rachel, he let her go because she was stubbornly saying she was deferring school. He loved her too much to see her sacrifice her talent and her dreams for him. And now, Rachel is moving on to a new guy. OK Glee…you really know how to turn off your fans from your show.

Comment by Lily – September 6, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jealous penny!!! I WANT to see that!!! i hate how penny takes for granted Leonard sometimes and she is sure without a doubt that he wouldnt hurt her or find someone better …. let do this!

Comment by Jose – September 6, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness for what Shonda Rhimes rules out for PPP. With this being the last 13 episodes of Kate Walsh’s journey as Addison, I want to see her on Private Practice, on HER show. I was really hoping not to see Addison brought back to another GA x/o where she at best gets a few brief scenes. Nice to read that is not gonna happen and that the focus will be on Practice where the writers can really concentrate on a propersend off for Addison. Good news :)

Comment by Julie – September 6, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE Fringe….completely and totally. That being said, I wish it wasn’t all about Peter and Olivia’s love and life together. Seriously, I’m watching for sci-fi not romance. I’m also a little sad that the last season will be mostly in the future. That will be awesome, I’m sure, but I hope we get at least a few scenes with Walter, Peter and Astrid in the lab.

Comment by Jennifer – September 6, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has been evident for a long time that Peter and Olivia are THE story. Along with Walter. Astrid in the lab? Snooze… Astrid in the field, kicking Observer tail! More Walter, Peter, Olivia, and Etta. Because Etta is a big player, and you kinda had to have Peter/Olivia for that. Fringe is a love story and a family drama. The sci-fi is just the background for these people’s lives. I’m thrilled Joel Wyman is helming the final season, because he knows what it is to not be a robot. Can’t wait!

Comment by ACL – September 6, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong… the story is about science AND about people.

Comment by hana – September 6, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wrong! Wyman has always said that the Fringe is about the relationships. Its just disguised as a sci fi show.

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – September 6, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • no he said he loved the fact that FRINGE is also a family show. That it is about relationship too. Fringe is about science and right now to me FRINGE is the best sci fi. Period

Comment by mary – September 6, 2012 11:42 AM PDT
          • Yep. “We’ve always said that Fringe is a family drama masquerading as a science fiction show.” — Joel Wyman, just this past Tuesday

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 6, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
        • True, that’s why I said the science is the background

Comment by ACL – September 6, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Always the same people griping here, and it makes me wonder what show they are watching. Luckily, I don’t read these comments often. There are people who do get it, and want to celebrate this show instead of gripe about what its heart is about: Love in a messed up world — universe(s). “How far would you go to save someone you love?” Destroy the fabric between realities? Erase yourself from the timeline? That scale of imagination and emotion makes Fringe the wonder that it is. Even September — straight from Joel Wyman — loves these people, but he can’t show it.

Comment by ACL – September 6, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The showrunners made it clear several seasons ago that the universal theme of Fringe is LOVE – love between a father and son, love between Peter and Olivia, love of family and creating your own family (Walter, Peter, Olivia, Astrid, Broyles, Nina – and now Henrietta and hopefully Simon. The reason the jump was made to the future was to kick start season five renewal. There are going to be thirteen wonderful episodes with plenty of flashbacks to satisfy us all.

Comment by tvdiva – September 6, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, no matter what happens I’m sure I will be satisfied. Fringe is one of my favorite shows. I guess for me the relationship between Walter and Peter is much more important and far exceeds the story of Peter and Olivia. Just one person’s opinion. Can’t wait for it to start! So sad it’s the final season.

Comment by Jennifer – September 6, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’d be more satisfied if we had a full season. And the hope of another one next year…when this goes, Supernatural will be my only sci-fi fix. Too bad. I love them both, for different reasons. Who would have thought that the CW has more faith and support for its shows?

Comment by chiana – September 6, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agree! Supernatural is the best fantasy show ever!

Comment by Dan – September 13, 2012 04:54 PM PDT
  • Brennan and Booth discussing marriage…this I got to see.

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – September 6, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “They had their daughter taken from them,” Wyman reveals. “And most couples, when they lose a child… don’t make it through that. So what happened to Peter and Olivia before the ambering?”

* I don’t like that …..

Comment by missy – September 6, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it October 8th yet? Can’t wait for Gossip Girl !

Comment by Jenny – September 6, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think he did. I always got impression that he was a only child, seeing as how his mom was with him in the pottery class episode.

Comment by AJ – September 6, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, sorry. I replied to the wrong post :D

Comment by AJ – September 6, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m certainly not going to be watching Glee this year. Breaking Finn and Rachel up and again and again and again isn’t fresh no matter how it’s done. You would think after 3 seasons they wouldn’t need love triangles and stalling methods to write their story. I’ve had it and I’m not wasting my time on season 4.

Comment by Person – September 6, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they think people are going to keep tuning into Glee just to watch Finn and Rachel break up again and again they have another thing coming. Finn and Rachel are the part of Glee i love the most. I’m not going to watch week after week if we’re going backwards in their story. It’s redundant at this point.

Comment by Brok – September 6, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office is going into its 9th season, not 10th.

Comment by Rachel – September 6, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you I would have corrected them in a sec

Comment by emma – September 6, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has Jeff ever mentioned having a brother on Community? I honestly can’t remember.

Comment by aleksa – September 6, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by AJ – September 6, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess since his dad has been gone for so long, he could have a half-brother he doesn’t know about.

Comment by aleksa – September 6, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That would make sense. I was trying to recall any mention of a brother as well.
          Regardless, that sounds pretty interesting-I look forward to seeing who they’ll pick to play his brother, and the whole family reunion.

Comment by Angela – September 6, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exited for Chuck and Blair <3 And they look amazing in the photo! Can't wait anymoreeeeeee come onnnnnnn october :))))

Comment by dtse – September 6, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with all the Finn and Rachel comments on here. Breaking them up again and again isn’t fresh however they do it. It’s one week until the episode and I haven’t seen or read a single thing that makes me want to watch, in fact its like they are doing everything they can to assure I don’t. I guess that’s another show I’m tuning out of. Its a shame when finchel were my favourite tv couple in a long time and now I don’t even want to tune into the show after one of my favourite seasons. *sigh*

Comment by Danni – September 6, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finchel quasi-breakup? Really? what Brad and the writers think they’ve put on the screen and what audience see on the screen are two completely different things. I doubt that there could be anything fresh about another Finchel break-up and i think its cruel…..FinchelForever

Comment by Siren – September 6, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant wait for CSI and Bones and Castle. And of course Big Bang. I also hope some or one of the new shows will be worth watching this time around

Comment by holly – September 6, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the nikita photo with Michael so hot!!! Cant wait for the season to start!!!

Comment by sarah – September 6, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The quote for Person of Interest is attributed to Jonah Hill. I think you mean Jonah Nolan. It made me giggle to think of Jonah Hill running that show….

Comment by Jamie – September 6, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i did a double take on that also, had to do a wikipedia search to make sure i wasnt crazy LOL

Comment by Newo – September 6, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg I would be screaming bloody murder if I were in Polivia’s situation #Fringe

Comment by Suliet05 (@Suliet05) – September 6, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you very much, I’m very excited for Chuck and Blair and the last season of Gossip Girl, everything sounds great!!!. And I like the synopsis of the upcoming season of The Big Bang Theory!!.
    Thanks for this info!!

Comment by Sarah – September 6, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite part is the line about Boardwalk Empire in the middle of the Once Upon a Time section. Apparently, next season on Once is about Nucky trying to maintain control of the boardwalk!!!! Never predicted a cross-over episode between those two!

Comment by Raz – September 6, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the news about Danielle Panabaker coming on Bones.
    Trying to figure out who the “pivotal-ish” death will be on Vampire Diaries… They’ve killed so many people off already. Could it be Matt?

Comment by Babybop – September 6, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they’ll kill Bonnie. She doesn’t ever have any storylines other than “Klaus threatens Bonnie so she’ll do magic for him.”

Comment by Ava – September 7, 2012 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol there is nothing fresh about the finchel relationship period. Glee stopped being must watch tv for me after last season when they assassinated so many of the characters, especially Rachel, but it will be interesting to see what the show does with the format change and if that and the night change will kill the ratings.

Comment by Amy – September 6, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finchel being dead for good (with no ridiculous, tired pining in reunion episodes) would be the freshest thing this show could do and I’d be thankful for it. No but seriously if half those episodes are spent with those two throwing longing looks at each other I’m just going to set something on fire.

Comment by Ali – September 6, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t get this Ann/Tom thing in Parks and Rec, the couple makes no sence at all to me, I was hoping they would drop it soon but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be the case… Am I the only one that is not convinced by this romance ?

Comment by lilys87 – September 6, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t really buy it either. We’ll see what happens this season…

Comment by Babybop – September 6, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to the showrunners, that’s sort of the point. They said most people know a couple who makes people scratch their heads and say “Uh, why are those two together?!”

I’m not sure how well it works (coughnotwellatallcough) but it’s not like we’re SUPPOSED to think they’re True Love Soulmates 4EvEr like April/Andy or Ben/Leslie.

Comment by alix – September 6, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok, I see. I just hope they’ll stop, or at least make it funny or cute…

Comment by lilys87 – September 7, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for CSI: NY. Not alot of shows get 2nd 2nd chances to tell more stories. I’m glad I’ll be seeing my favorite show on TV again.

I’m also excited for 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory, The Middle, Modern Family and The Office.

Comment by King – September 6, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So… Raj is gay??

Comment by shiran – September 6, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that as well!!

Comment by davidsask – September 7, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve been hinting at it for a few seasons. Guess they’re finally going to ‘out’ him this season.

Comment by Bob – September 7, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess there is no need to watch Glee any more! If they break up Finchel it’s over! Would have been great to see FInn, Rachel and Kurt living together in NYC…maybe they could have turned it back into a comedy again and given Modern Family a run for their money. Huge fail on the part of RIP! They turned a show called Glee into a depressing hour of TV. I’ll watch Greys Anatomy for Drama, not Glee!

Comment by Beth – September 6, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, really Shonda like maybe maybe in the finale we might see CO together again? This is ridiculous. I´d say the writers should be careful becasue if it should take that long, I bet we will see KMK not renewing his contract for season 10.

Comment by vondie55 – September 6, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a joke glee is turning Finn and Rachel into. Tethered soulmates who can’t manage to stay together? I know I won’t be tuning in to see them butcher my favorite couple. sorry glee. Have a good last year!!

Comment by Lo – September 6, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody gave a rat’s ass about him for 3 years: in my mind Cary was an orphan. And still no casting news? When will they introduce his father?

Comment by Lucy – September 6, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3

Comment by JDB – September 6, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for Peter and Olivia angst on Fringe!

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – September 6, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I don’t know how there could be anything fresh about another Finchel breakup on Glee. What would be fresh is seeing Finn and Rachel in NYC together and the struggles they must endure in a new environment. With every new tidbit that comes out I get a little bit more inclined to tune out. Glee without Finchel just isn’t Glee for me.

Comment by Josie – September 6, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really interested in watching Glee this season if Finn and Rachel are not together. And new LI for both of them. What a joke and a major slap in the face of all of us fans who have rooted for these two since season one. I guess season 3 and everthing they said to each other was just a dream. How sad.

Comment by J – September 6, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry but not all of the fans have rooted for Finchel.. If there’s one couple that has annoyed me from the beginning it’s them. Rachel could be a huge star and Finn will only hold her back. She’s better off with someone that can actually relate to her..

Comment by Kevin – September 14, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I feel like Grey’s has more deaths than any other show. And I feel that it makes it less believable because the same group of people are always losing someone. I still hope it is Arizona but I think the fact that Callie and Derek become close gives away that it is Mark.

Comment by cas – September 6, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish the formata for browsing through the shows and comments was better laid out. I have to scroll down to hit the right arrow for the next show then scroll up the read the text. There must be a better way to lay this out.

Comment by tvdiva – September 6, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clicking on the images advances the slideshow as well; you needn’t hit the arrows specifically. – Management/Fixer

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 6, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the NCIS scoopage. I really hope Glasburg keeps his promise of the ramifications of the trauma of the explosion continuing throughout the season. That would be very interesting as well as more realistic.

Comment by Mel – September 6, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, Mel!! If it’s as good as he suggests, this will be one AMAZING season for NCIS!! :P This news also made the Tiva part of my beating heart very happy as well!!

Comment by Nubie – September 6, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This season of NCIS sounds so promising and emotional. I can’t wait for 9/25/12!

Comment by Deb – September 6, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Rachel gets with Brody after Finn made her go to NYC to pursue her dreams, I’m going to give up on her and Glee. I’m not going to sit through another terrible angsty storyline for them. I’m at the end of my tether.

Comment by YB – September 6, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can somebody explain to me how breaking up Finchel for the third time is supposed to be ‘fresh’. Consider me glad that I have a class that night and can’t watch the show live because after hearing this, I really don’t want to watch the train wreck that this show is about to come.

Comment by Debra – September 6, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess your shipper goggle cut all the circulation to your brain, glee already is a trainwreck.

Comment by katie – September 6, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not usually a “shipper” when it comes to TV shows, but I’m stoked for some “Densi” action on NCIS: LA!

Comment by DL – September 6, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, don’t usually ship but I LOVE these two!!! :)

Comment by katy917 – September 6, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS “Tony/Ziva relationship stuff”. Gotta love GG <3

Comment by Gaara – September 6, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so much good scoop i could not possibly fit all my reactions in one post!!

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 6, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Scandal scoop!

Comment by Alex – September 6, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post