Fall TV Tweak: New Normal Sneak Preview Has Grimm Consequences

A new showcase for The New Normal has pushed back the air date of the next new Grimm.

RELATED | Visit TVLine’s Fall Preview Headquarters for Scoop, Videos, Photos and More!

NBC has slotted a sneak preview of The New Normal, its buzzy comedy cocreated by Glee‘s Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler, for this Monday, Sept. 10 at 10/9c, where it will enjoy a robust lead-in from the two-hour Season 3 premiere of The Voice. (Another rebroadcast of the Go On series premiere will round out the 10 o’clock hour.)

The New Normal will then christen its regular time slot, Tuesdays at 9:30, the following night, with a new episode.

As a result of this New development, the next new episode of Grimm Season 2, which was to fill the supernatural series’ fifth and final Monday window, instead will air Friday, Sept. 28 — representing Grimm‘s official relocation back to Friday with new episodes. (Originally, Grimm was to start unspooling new episodes on Fridays starting a week prior.)

RELATED | TVLine’s Updated Guide to 110 September Premieres and Finales

The New Normal courted a smidgen of controversy last month when Salt Lake City’s KSL-TV announced its refusal to air the series about a same-sex couple and their surrogate. (The Ogden-based KUCW-TV has since picked up the new comedy and will air it Saturdays at 10/9c, ahead of Saturday Night Live.)

1. MelindaB says:

Yeah, I was really annoyed when I saw that the next Grimm won’t air until Sept. 28, because I had thought that the end of the Monday showings and the move back to Fridays would be closer together. So I get that their last Monday showing was pre-empted, but why is the first Friday night airing this season moving to a week later?

2. Phil says:

It’s so unfair! Grimm deserved that huge bump. I hope that New Normal fails miserably!

3. Joe says:

New normal is on iTunes watched it last week, I’m sticking with Don’t trust the b in apt 23

4. Hannah says:

I thought New Normal was excellent. Funny, but also brought a tear to my eye. Now if only I could get my boyfriend to watch it. (You’ve come a long way, baby, but still a ways to go…. I’m working on him though). Love Grimm. Looking forward to some lovin’ for Monroe, my favorite.

5. John says:

And just when Grimm was getting really awsome.

• iMember says:

Grim has been awesome this entire season so far! It’s still going to perform well on Fridays just like it did last season I’m sure. I can’t wait for it to come back though! But I will say, I did really enjoy the pilot for The New Normal and I do want to see more.

6. Mary says:

I hate what NBC is doing to my favorite shows. Why are Grimm fans being punished?

7. iella says:

nonononono! neeeed Grimm!

8. Katerina says:

This is very disappointing!

9. Velvet says:

This is BS and the New Normal can bite it.

10. tvdiva says:

I hope they do not keep moving GRIMM around. I love the show and it deserves a permanent time slot.

11. Kristina says:

Based only on the previews, The New Normal looks pretty terrible, so I’m not super happy one of my favorite shows is getting bumped for it.

12. nick1372 says:

I’ve seen the pilots for Grimm and The New Normal, and TNN was great, while Grimm was terrible. I may be in the minority, but this is a great move on NBC’s part.

13. mountaineer says:

Love Grimm! I’m annoyed it won’t be on until the end if the month. TNN is not for me but I’m not into sitcoms..

14. GeekGirl13 says:

While I’m not normally a sitcom viewer, being all caught up on my usual summer shows, I decided to give some of the OnDemand sneak previews a go and LOVED The New Normal. I hate that it’s getting this boost at the expense of Grimm but I want to see TNN do well and I’ll follow Grimm wherever it goes.

15. Renee says:

Well this sucks. Not only is there now an additional week we’ll miss Grimm, but they don’t get the benefit of a decent lead in. I guess they know Grimm can stand on it’s on, but The New Normal needs all the help it can get. Still not fair though.

16. Wait, when was a fifth Monday episode ever going to happen in the first place? All of TVLine’s previous coverage mentioned that four episodes would be airing on Mondays and then a switch to Fridays starting September 21. So other than the one week delay for the Friday debut it doesn’t seem like much has actually changed.

17. Templar says:

I’m on the fence about The New Normal. Love Justin Bartha, but find Andrew Rannells to be an annoying blend of John Davidson and Richard Beymer. Still, I’ll give it a try. As for pushing Grimm back, that’s no biggie.

18. AJ says:

I wonder how many focus groups it took to come up with that title.

Why does it have to be two guys?

Why couldn’t it be two hot women.

19. Nina says:

Ugh I hope Grimm doesn’t lose ratings on Friday!! I also quite enjoy The New Normal. I hope it won’t get cancelled because I need Georgia King on my screen!!

20. Sunny says:

I wasnt expecting much from The New Normal….in all honesty the commercials for it weren’t very convincing. But after watching it on the OnDemand, I will definitely be watching it!! I just hope other people will tune in as well….I’m tired of getting into a show just to have it canceled :( Oh….and while I was watching I just wanted Andrew Rannells to say “Hello!”

21. KMG says:

Let me get this straight… NBC promotes the heck out of Grimm throughout the Olympics, starts its season a month earlier than every other fall show.. and then gives it a 3-week hiatus before showing the next new ep, which is now on Friday night, at the very end of the week where EVERYTHING else is premiering?? Great… just in time for it to be forgotten by new viewers, and lost in the overload of heavily-hyped season premieres. Good plan, NBC. No wonder you’re in last place.

22. MaryAnn says:

I hope this does not seriously impact the momentum of Grimm’s ratings for the new season.

23. steve says:

I don’t get it. I like the show also. It seems to get good ratings for a broadcast channel show. Are they trying to kill it? Doesn’t make sense

• nick1372 says:

They are not “trying to kill it”. They are just giving a good lead-in to a new show instead of an old show that really doesn’t need it.

24. mamafultz says:

Grimm rocks forever!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Me n muh Hubby are total addicts! As a matter of fact, our puppy is named Grimm! :) Totally disgusted the epsiode's been moved! :(

25. Cole says:

I totally disagree with their decision to move Grimm for a comedy show, there are too many comedies out there and they’re all too similar – Grimm on the other hand, is very unique, new, and refreshing.

• FantasybeatsRL says:

I love Grimm but it is in no way unique. It is basically a hybrid of every cop show based in a big city and Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Big Wolf on Campus(Ya I made that reference).

26. kyle says:

The people of NBC are bunch of D-bags! The New Normal looks horrible! I hope it fails!!!!!!!

27. NBC, please keep Grimm…please? KC

28. Niki Payne says:

lame. i was wondering why i haven’t seen any new episodes. i thought they cancelled the show for a minute there

29. John Q. Public says:

No matter how much they want us to accept it as such, the premise of “The New Normal” will never be normal. I, like many people, am tired of having that sort of crap on tv. And they pushed Grimm back for weeks to shove this show on us. Guess what NBC, your new show is going to bomb even with the bait and switch that you used to have peoples tv sets on the channel when it premiered. Shame on you.

30. Matt says:

NBC sucks! I don’t want to wait until 28 sept. CBS does a better job at managing their shows.

31. Matt says:

Oh yeah new normal sucks too. Trying to rip off modern family shame on you . I get t

32. Ryan Francis says:

ME AND MY GIRL R SOOOOOOO FRIGGIN PISST OFF IT’S NOT FUNNY JUST STARTED GETTING INTO THE SHOW NOW THEY GO AND DO THIS ?!?!?!?!?!?

33. Katerina says:

One more week for Grimm!

34. Chevelle says:

Oh you had me worried. Yes Grimm is back!!

35. Linda says:

Well what I want to no is, why you started the second season. And then turn around and show repeats!!! I just checked to see what is on Grimm tonight, REPEAT!!!!! So now I have to wait untill next FRIDAY……………..

36. madalyn says:

screw this new show, maybe next time tv producers will think of the viewers and not their check books. i hope this new show does so bad it doesnt even finish the first season.

37. Kim says:

I really thought my DVDR was malfunctioning!
    What would be great is if the network announced the shows return they switched it by to Friday nights.
    Well, next Friday it is…..and really there’s less competition on Friday.

38. chris says:

Just leave my show’s alone!!!!

39. rosa says:

Grimm is a great show. And they should just live it how it is

40. jim says:

I don’t like NBC shifting Grimm around so much. Isn’t this what happened to shows on FOX. Always moving around their best programs, hoping no one will watch them again. hmmm. I wonder if the same people who programmed at FOX are now working at NBC and screwing things up. Maybe they will be turned into Torgo’s Executive Powder like the executives at…. Well, at least Grimm could get five seasons out of it like Chuck, that would make a nice DVD library addition.

41. ann says:

Hubby and I love Grimm and could watch it every night….keep it coming.

42. Chris says:

Screw tnn Grimm is awesome

43. georgie says:

Unfortunately, NBC has a track record of moving successful shows to Friday nights, which tend to have less viewing, usually resulting in poor watch numbers, which makes NBC morons thinking the show isn’t doing well. The next thing you know, they cancel the show. I’ve never seen so many prime tv shows die due to a company who frequently tries to commit suicide. Execs been doing for years and still don’t have a clue. Doesn’t matter though, I never watch anything first run and don’t have TV, just the internet with shorter commercials. Nothing like 20 min. Of commercials to make to cancel cable or satellite. Now I’m just venting :)