Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Tweak: New Normal Sneak Preview Has Grimm Consequences

A new showcase for The New Normal has pushed back the air date of the next new Grimm.

RELATED | Visit TVLine’s Fall Preview Headquarters for Scoop, Videos, Photos and More!

NBC has slotted a sneak preview of The New Normal, its buzzy comedy cocreated by Glee‘s Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler, for this Monday, Sept. 10 at 10/9c, where it will enjoy a robust lead-in from the two-hour Season 3 premiere of The Voice. (Another rebroadcast of the Go On series premiere will round out the 10 o’clock hour.)

The New Normal will then christen its regular time slot, Tuesdays at 9:30, the following night, with a new episode.

As a result of this New development, the next new episode of Grimm Season 2, which was to fill the supernatural series’ fifth and final Monday window, instead will air Friday, Sept. 28 — representing Grimm‘s official relocation back to Friday with new episodes. (Originally, Grimm was to start unspooling new episodes on Fridays starting a week prior.)

RELATED | TVLine’s Updated Guide to 110 September Premieres and Finales

The New Normal courted a smidgen of controversy last month when Salt Lake City’s KSL-TV announced its refusal to air the series about a same-sex couple and their surrogate. (The Ogden-based KUCW-TV has since picked up the new comedy and will air it Saturdays at 10/9c, ahead of Saturday Night Live.)

Comments (58)

• Yeah, I was really annoyed when I saw that the next Grimm won’t air until Sept. 28, because I had thought that the end of the Monday showings and the move back to Fridays would be closer together. So I get that their last Monday showing was pre-empted, but why is the first Friday night airing this season moving to a week later?

Comment by MelindaB – September 5, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so unfair! Grimm deserved that huge bump. I hope that New Normal fails miserably!

Comment by Phil – September 5, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^^THIS. agree completely! boo hiss, NBC.

Comment by abbyjo – September 5, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love grimm and agree it deserves the post ‘the voice’ slot but really? you hope ‘the new normal’ fails? mature. i watched it on hulu and am actually really looking forward to it.

Comment by murley – September 5, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you people not know anything about TV? A new show will always be first priority to a previous show.

Comment by Jared – September 5, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I still hope Grimm fails for causing Chuck to get the boot.

Comment by Becky – September 5, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • uhhh, lack of ratings doomed Chuck, not a better show

Comment by William – September 6, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nothing beats Chuck, and two, come on it, Grimm did doom Chuck.

Comment by myblog1014 – September 9, 2012 12:20 PM PDT
        • I hope you fail at life

Comment by Jim Shane – September 10, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am sure it will fail. Can’t push this on people. No matter how normal you want it to be, it just isn’t.

Comment by DavinNEWORLEANS – September 11, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New normal is on iTunes watched it last week, I’m sticking with Don’t trust the b in apt 23

Comment by Joe – September 5, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought New Normal was excellent. Funny, but also brought a tear to my eye. Now if only I could get my boyfriend to watch it. (You’ve come a long way, baby, but still a ways to go…. I’m working on him though). Love Grimm. Looking forward to some lovin’ for Monroe, my favorite.

Comment by Hannah – September 5, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And just when Grimm was getting really awsome.

Comment by John – September 5, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grim has been awesome this entire season so far! It’s still going to perform well on Fridays just like it did last season I’m sure. I can’t wait for it to come back though! But I will say, I did really enjoy the pilot for The New Normal and I do want to see more.

Comment by iMember – September 5, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate what NBC is doing to my favorite shows. Why are Grimm fans being punished?

Comment by Mary – September 5, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nonononono! neeeed Grimm!

Comment by iella – September 5, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very disappointing!

Comment by Katerina – September 5, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is BS and the New Normal can bite it.

Comment by Velvet – September 5, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they do not keep moving GRIMM around. I love the show and it deserves a permanent time slot.

Comment by tvdiva – September 5, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based only on the previews, The New Normal looks pretty terrible, so I’m not super happy one of my favorite shows is getting bumped for it.

Comment by Kristina – September 5, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the pilots for Grimm and The New Normal, and TNN was great, while Grimm was terrible. I may be in the minority, but this is a great move on NBC’s part.

Comment by nick1372 – September 5, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grimm pilot was like.. a year ago.

Comment by Nina – September 5, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched the pilot of Grimm and then stopped.I

Comment by nick1372 – September 6, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Grimm! I’m annoyed it won’t be on until the end if the month. TNN is not for me but I’m not into sitcoms..

Comment by mountaineer – September 5, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m not normally a sitcom viewer, being all caught up on my usual summer shows, I decided to give some of the OnDemand sneak previews a go and LOVED The New Normal. I hate that it’s getting this boost at the expense of Grimm but I want to see TNN do well and I’ll follow Grimm wherever it goes.

Comment by GeekGirl13 – September 5, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sucks. Not only is there now an additional week we’ll miss Grimm, but they don’t get the benefit of a decent lead in. I guess they know Grimm can stand on it’s on, but The New Normal needs all the help it can get. Still not fair though.

Comment by Renee – September 5, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, when was a fifth Monday episode ever going to happen in the first place? All of TVLine’s previous coverage mentioned that four episodes would be airing on Mondays and then a switch to Fridays starting September 21. So other than the one week delay for the Friday debut it doesn’t seem like much has actually changed.

Comment by Devin Hudson (@DevinTHudson) – September 5, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on the fence about The New Normal. Love Justin Bartha, but find Andrew Rannells to be an annoying blend of John Davidson and Richard Beymer. Still, I’ll give it a try. As for pushing Grimm back, that’s no biggie.

Comment by Templar – September 5, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how many focus groups it took to come up with that title.

Why does it have to be two guys?

Why couldn’t it be two hot women.

Comment by AJ – September 5, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jane Lynch and Rosie O’Donnell?

Comment by Templar – September 5, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh I hope Grimm doesn’t lose ratings on Friday!! I also quite enjoy The New Normal. I hope it won’t get cancelled because I need Georgia King on my screen!!

Comment by Nina – September 5, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasnt expecting much from The New Normal….in all honesty the commercials for it weren’t very convincing. But after watching it on the OnDemand, I will definitely be watching it!! I just hope other people will tune in as well….I’m tired of getting into a show just to have it canceled :( Oh….and while I was watching I just wanted Andrew Rannells to say “Hello!”

Comment by Sunny – September 5, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me get this straight… NBC promotes the heck out of Grimm throughout the Olympics, starts its season a month earlier than every other fall show.. and then gives it a 3-week hiatus before showing the next new ep, which is now on Friday night, at the very end of the week where EVERYTHING else is premiering?? Great… just in time for it to be forgotten by new viewers, and lost in the overload of heavily-hyped season premieres. Good plan, NBC. No wonder you’re in last place.

Comment by KMG – September 6, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this does not seriously impact the momentum of Grimm’s ratings for the new season.

Comment by MaryAnn – September 7, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it. I like the show also. It seems to get good ratings for a broadcast channel show. Are they trying to kill it? Doesn’t make sense

Comment by steve – September 7, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are not “trying to kill it”. They are just giving a good lead-in to a new show instead of an old show that really doesn’t need it.

Comment by nick1372 – September 9, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grimm rocks forever!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 Me n muh Hubby are total addicts! As a matter of fact, our puppy is named Grimm! :) Totally disgusted the epsiode's been moved! :(

Comment by mamafultz – September 8, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally disagree with their decision to move Grimm for a comedy show, there are too many comedies out there and they’re all too similar – Grimm on the other hand, is very unique, new, and refreshing.

Comment by Cole – September 10, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Grimm but it is in no way unique. It is basically a hybrid of every cop show based in a big city and Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Big Wolf on Campus(Ya I made that reference).

Comment by FantasybeatsRL – September 11, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The people of NBC are bunch of D-bags! The New Normal looks horrible! I hope it fails!!!!!!!

Comment by kyle – September 10, 2012 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC, please keep Grimm…please? KC

Comment by Kathleen Carr – September 12, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lame. i was wondering why i haven’t seen any new episodes. i thought they cancelled the show for a minute there

Comment by Niki Payne – September 13, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No matter how much they want us to accept it as such, the premise of “The New Normal” will never be normal. I, like many people, am tired of having that sort of crap on tv. And they pushed Grimm back for weeks to shove this show on us. Guess what NBC, your new show is going to bomb even with the bait and switch that you used to have peoples tv sets on the channel when it premiered. Shame on you.

Comment by John Q. Public – September 14, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC sucks! I don’t want to wait until 28 sept. CBS does a better job at managing their shows.

Comment by Matt – September 17, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yeah new normal sucks too. Trying to rip off modern family shame on you . I get t

Comment by Matt – September 17, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ME AND MY GIRL R SOOOOOOO FRIGGIN PISST OFF IT’S NOT FUNNY JUST STARTED GETTING INTO THE SHOW NOW THEY GO AND DO THIS ?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment by Ryan Francis – September 18, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gasp! They pushed it back a few weeks! Oh no! The world is gonna end now!

Comment by nick1372 – September 19, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One more week for Grimm!

Comment by Katerina – September 18, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh you had me worried. Yes Grimm is back!!

Comment by Chevelle – September 20, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well what I want to no is, why you started the second season. And then turn around and show repeats!!! I just checked to see what is on Grimm tonight, REPEAT!!!!! So now I have to wait untill next FRIDAY……………..

Comment by Linda – September 21, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • screw this new show, maybe next time tv producers will think of the viewers and not their check books. i hope this new show does so bad it doesnt even finish the first season.

Comment by madalyn – September 21, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really thought my DVDR was malfunctioning!
    What would be great is if the network announced the shows return they switched it by to Friday nights.
    Well, next Friday it is…..and really there’s less competition on Friday.

Comment by Kim – September 21, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just leave my show’s alone!!!!

Comment by chris – September 22, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grimm is a great show. And they should just live it how it is

Comment by rosa – September 23, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like NBC shifting Grimm around so much. Isn’t this what happened to shows on FOX. Always moving around their best programs, hoping no one will watch them again. hmmm. I wonder if the same people who programmed at FOX are now working at NBC and screwing things up. Maybe they will be turned into Torgo’s Executive Powder like the executives at…. Well, at least Grimm could get five seasons out of it like Chuck, that would make a nice DVD library addition.

Comment by jim – September 26, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hubby and I love Grimm and could watch it every night….keep it coming.

Comment by ann – September 27, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw tnn Grimm is awesome

Comment by Chris – October 12, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately, NBC has a track record of moving successful shows to Friday nights, which tend to have less viewing, usually resulting in poor watch numbers, which makes NBC morons thinking the show isn’t doing well. The next thing you know, they cancel the show. I’ve never seen so many prime tv shows die due to a company who frequently tries to commit suicide. Execs been doing for years and still don’t have a clue. Doesn’t matter though, I never watch anything first run and don’t have TV, just the internet with shorter commercials. Nothing like 20 min. Of commercials to make to cancel cable or satellite. Now I’m just venting :)

Comment by georgie – November 19, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post