Exclusive

Blind Item: Hit Drama Planning X-Rated Treat – Will It Make It Past the Censors? (Warning: NSFW)

As the saying goes, “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.”

But this October, fans of a certain hit drama will probably be screaming for a splash of cold water on their faces after they witness what goes down between one of the show’s randier couples — a hook-up so racy, it almost didn’t make it to air.

RELATED | Fall Preview Headquarters — Video, Photos, Schedules & More!

Allow me to set the scene: Ice cream parlor. Lovers on a date. Each enjoying a sundae. The male half of the pair reaches under the table to, ahem, melt his partner under her dress. He then takes that same hand and dips it in her sundae. And finally, the frisky female laps up a spoonful of the “tainted” dessert.

Hot fudge, indeed!

As you can imagine, this is where the road gets rocky. Standards and Practices at the unnamed broadcast network initially balked (though, were the tryst to play out on a pay cabler like HBO or Showtime, no one would so much as blush). Eventually, I hear the debate escalated to the highest office at the network – the forward-thinking president – and the scene was OK’d. (Of course, anything can change between now and the airdate.)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello — Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Vampire Diaries and More!

Now, while the series in question has pushed the envelope before, sexually speaking, this incident is still bound to raise eyebrows. But should it? After all, the broadcast networks — competing as they are with the likes of Game of Thrones, Dexter and Boardwalk Empire — have been getting racier for years (and years). Wasn’t it just a matter of time before they leveled the playing field? And should the network prez be lauded for having the guts to do just that?

Oh, and while you’re you’re busy discussing whether greenlighting the bit is smart business or evidence of moral decay, perhaps you’d also like to take a stab at guessing the identity of the couple in question?

1. TigerNightmare says:

Sounds hot. The only show on the air right now that I watch that shocks me, not because of its content, but because they were allowed to get away with it, was The Good Wife. There’s lots and lots of vagina action just off camera on that show.

2. Chance says:

The Good Wife?

• slizabeth says:

This is right up their alley…

• moobear says:

Well my first thought was Scandal, seriously I’m not a prude I watch Game of Thrones, Dexter, etc., but I blushed a little bit with the President/Olivia hotel scene, though your guys idea of The Good Wife is probably more likely.

• erin says:

I was going to guess Scandal or The Good Wife as well… I could see it happening on either, but I’m leaning towards Scandal.

• Gia says:

I hope it’s not TGW. Love that show. And I really, really hope it’s not any of my favorite ships from any of my favorite shows. Sounds smarmy and gross, not hot. Sorry.

3. Lesley says:

AHS??? Adam Levine and Chloe Sevigny???

4. tgw says:

The Good Wife

5. lysa says:

hmmm let me guess…..

first, you should give us an hint about the network LOL… but I don’t think it could be a Fox show… a kiss is already too much for them sometimes…

• “Eventually, I hear the debate escalated to the highest office at the network – the forward-thinking president ” Thats the best hint we’ll get… it’s Once Upon A Time.

• Angela says:

I think you might be confusing fox network with fox news. Fox network is pretty much all about using sex to sell its scripted and,especially, its reality shows.

• KevyB says:

That’s crazy talk. Here’s all their returning shows: The Simpsons, Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad, Bones, Raising Hope, New Girl, The X Factor, Glee, Touch and Fringe. Exactly which of those shows is “all about using sex to sell”??? Which of those shows even has sex scenes that don’t occur off-screen? New Girl is the only one I can think of, and they’re certainly not the selling point of that show.

6. amoeba says:

i don’t know but gross

7. caroline says:

How about some clues ?

8. The Good Wife? Would it be Peter and Alicia though? They did have that bathroom scene.

9. Cassie says:

it’s probably something on fx, either sons of anarchy or AHS

10. Joel says:

Smash, Good Wife, or Gossip Girl. CBS and Fox wouldnt allow this.

11. icywinter2 says:

I doubt it’s SVU, unless it’s the fifty shades episode that they are supposely going to have. I can’t see them doing something like that, unless Meloni came back to do a guest star then I could see El and Liv doing that.

• Tracy Murray says:

Oh gosh, I don’t see Stabler (sp?)and Green as that TYPE of couple, they’re probably be more into vanilla sex than the kinky stuff.

12. PLEASE tell me it’s not Mike & Molly… (shudders)

13. It can’t be Glee, because that’s on hiatus for October.

14. JJ says:

Clearly Vampire Diaries. No contest here. Pushed it before with the 3-way that everyone was up in arms about and now it’ll be this. Not sure you can really call the CW a network though.

• Emma says:

NO WAY will it be Vampire Diaries. That show likes to be graphic (and I like that is does), but it IS essentially geared towards teenagers. That’s a little too… I don’t know. Not Vampire-Diaries-like.

• Drewer says:

Sounds icky to me, but I bet it’s not TVD, they only ever eat at that one restaurant, although maybe since half the characters on that show eat blood…EW! Gossip Girl on the other hand did show parts of a three-way which pushed the envelope. But I bet its a CW, ABC, or maybe, maybe an NBC show (although I can’t think of a drama on NBC with a couple that might do that)

15. Phil says:

It sounds like Glee or a CW show. Or maybe The Good Wife will experience some vagina steam?

16. Theresa says:

I’m thinking The Good Wifee too.

17. Kevin says:

AHS isn’t broadcast. Cooper and Charlotte on PP?

18. TVaddict02 says:

I really wanna say The Good wife or AHS, Adam Levine is problaly doing this…

19. itsmemartu says:

I’d like to say Castle, but don’t know if it qualifies as “hit drama”.

• Mia says:

That would be totally out of character for Castle.

• Jack says:

No it wouldn’t. Plus, Castle has to be one of the more daring shows in terms of crude innuendo.

• itsmemartu says:

Nevermind. I forgot to read the part where it said the series itself has been pushing the envelope on that matter, and I don’t think Castle has.

• Pauline says:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I’m not sure at all.

• angela says:

I think it’s pretty obvious it’s not Castle.

• May says:

I was thinking Castle as well. They have an episode set on a beach location, and an Ice cream parlor sounds appropriate in such setting. ABC is not known for racier scenes, so it would be shocking. And I’m pretty sure Castle is considered a hit drama.

• itsmemartu says:

I thought about that episode as well, but just because it has a fanbase makes it a hit drama.

• Klover says:

My first thought was this episode, too. People seem to have selective memories of ABC pushing the limits, for whatever reason. And if anyone thinks Castle and Beckett wouldn’t go there they obviously don’t know the characters! lol. They’re each pretty naughty and kinky on their own but together I imagine tv’s overheating will be common ;)

• Audrey says:

Not Castle because it’s never showed a hint of being that crude.

• alieh86 says:

I don’t think it’s Castle. The most suggestive thing they’ve ever done on that show is in “Always Buy Retail” when Meradith comes into town and “goes down on Castle”. You don’t actually see the act, but she does disappear from view.

I hope it’s not them either. I love Caskett beyond words, but I don’t want the show to turn into some raunchy sex-fest.

20. Lori says:

Maybe Charlotte and Cooper on Private Practice? Though The Good Wife has gone super racy with things like this in the past.

• big cheddar says:

I immediately thought Private Practice as well. There’s definitely a lot of sex on that show.

• Audrey says:

I’m thinking of either The Good Wife or Private Practice, moreso towards PP because the article says “Standards and Practices.” Capitalized.

• rowan77 says:

Standards and Practices is the name of a department, so it should be capitalized. You’re reaching. It’s The Good Wife. They’ve always been super racy.

21. Kady says:

It always amazes me that anything sexual results in a furore when so many TV shows are permitted to air scenes of extreme violence without anyone batting an eyelid.

22. tvaddict says:

I instantly thought Gossip Girl

23. Leah says:

Chuck and Blair— Gossip Girl

24. Stacy says:

Scandal?

25. scoboot says:

Looking at the list of returning shows, the only shows I can see doing this is Vampire Diaries or Scandal.

I can see this happening on Scandal between Olivia and the would be president.

I don’t watch VD, but I know that it is fairly racy. I suppose 90210 could be it too. But I can’t see most of the other shows that are more procedural to do this. And I can’t see Emily on Revenge letting it go that far without some consequence.

My pick is likely Scandal.

26. Dai says:

my guess is The Good Wife, idk about the couple though. As long as it’s not Diane… lol

27. Mita says:

Seems like it might be Blair and Chuck on Gossip Girl.

28. I think I can speak for all Castle fans when I say: there’s no way this is Castle & Beckett. Thank god.

29. Sarabi says:

The Good Wife!

30. Anonymous says:

I think The Vampire Diaries. “Screaming for a splash of cold water” and “take a stab” all point to it, in my opinion.

31. Kay bee says:

That’s disgusting.

32. missy says:

Castle??

33. LilAngel says:

as much as I wish it could be an Addisam scene, I guess it will be The Vampire Diaries or The Good Wife

34. hello says:

Isn’t it always Gossip Girl that have to do things like this because shocks is all they can provide. That show is so bad

35. laura says:

Going to say castle, they’re filming an episode in the hamptons so it fits the timeline, plus its got to be a tv show which is on later at night, castle is on at 10pm so can get away with more.

• Malachi says:

This, for a couple of reasons.

For this sort of scene on a broadcast network, it’s nearly a dead-certainty that it’s going to be a 10:00 show to avoid problems with the FCC. The “safe harbor” for broadcast networks to transmit “indecent” material begins at 10 pm (Google “FCC v. Pacifica” or find “safe harbor” on wikipedia.) After Janet Jackson’s Super Bowl halftime show, broadcast networks aren’t looking to deal with the FCC more than they have to. In practice, broadcast networks usually restrict themselves after 10 even when they don’t have to, to avoid possible headaches with advertisers supporting the show. But my point is that, after 10 pm, the bar is lower.

In addition, as Laura says, “Castle” is filming a Hamptons beach episode that will air during the timeline. An ice cream parlor scene seems like it would fit that particular episode.

One last factor that makes it a good guess: fans of the show have reason to believe from past episodes that Beckett may have an … adventurous (read “kinky”) side to her.

If it isn’t “Castle,” then “Private Practice” is a distinct possibility. If Shonda can give you “ghost sex” on Grey’s, a naughty ice cream parlor scene isn’t unthinkable for PP.

Just my 2 cents.

36. Sheldon says:

On IMDB it has a pic of The Big Bang Theory with the story.

37. Nicole says:

Vampire Diaries

38. Jarrod says:

Perhaps Shonda thought of a way to get Owen and Cristina back together on GA?

• kjess says:

I doubt it, but even if she did, I think it’s less likely that there’d be a scene with Cristina in a dress in an ice cream parlor!

39. Fatma says:

american horror story!

40. mike says:

Animal Practice?

41. ingmarhappy says:

The Good Wife comes to mind. But I wouldn’t rule out Gossip Girl ( Chuck / Blair ). It would surprise me if it was any other show. I hope on The Good Wife ( Kalinda / Cary or Kalinda / Nick )

42. Eneko says:

As an European (Spanish) I have never understood the tightening rules in American prime-time TV. Even if it is not recommended, cursing is never beep in Spanish TV and nudity is quite usual in prime-time. What is wrong with nudity and sex, anyway? It’s better to watch CSI’s dead bodies, I guess.

• Delirious says:

Whoa, finally, another spaniard around here! Anyway, even if I agree some cursing/nudity/etc isn’t bad, I kinda understand how US viewers can be more “sensitive” to that kind of stuff – especially since they’ve been like that forever. And even if I’m tempted to, I’m not gonna go into religion/ideology discussions regarding the subject, despite the fact that they play a big role as well.

• Delirious says:

Oh, forgot to say… The described scene, without overanalyzing it or “(mis)understanding” what really happens, isn’t more than some (serious) insinuation, if you ask me. If they actually showed what’s implied, yeah, sure, but only judging by what Ausiello describes, we don’t know if he actually “reaches” there, or if it’s just some fooling around, as in “you thought I was going THERE, but I’m actually childish, and prefer to stick my finger in your sundae”, to which she responds “oh, yeah? joke’s on you, I’m eating it anyway, I’m happy with my own culinary satisfactions”… Or something. Dunno, without watching the actual scene, I’m not sure we can actually go on and judge if it’s “gross” or “ew-y” like people are saying, or it’s just innuendo after innuendo after innuendo, all inside a playful wrapping…

43. SportySpice says:

Ew is all I can say. That’s gross, not racy.

• Agreed. That’s why I’m hoping it’s not on one of my shows (which is quite a few, mainly crime procedurals as far as dramas are concerned). Sounds like something on most of the CW shows, though. Although the only thing I used to watch on that network was “Smallville” so I’m just basing this on promos I’ve seen.

44. Hannah says:

Grey’s Anatomy. Drs. Jackson Avery and Rachel Keppner (omg this would feel 100x raunchier with these two since she’s newly “unvirginated”. sssssssssssizzzzzle!

45. cas says:

So on EW it the SOA writer said there was a racy sex scene in episode 5, which would make it October. I know people say this blind item is about a broadcast network but how do we know the writer isn’t considering FX a broadcast network?

46. Chris says:

Don’t you think the boss would only okay this during the 10pm hour? That would narrow it down to…

47. Becca says:

I’m thinking TVD, probably Caroline and Tyler. They are the ones that would fit best from there. I Definately agree that it won’t be a fox show.

48. Hannah says:

Come to think of it, that scene woulda been perfect with Kalinda’s sexually wild ways… only she’d be the one doing the deed rather than receiving it.

49. bart says:

Why are people saying Chuck and Blair? Their sx scenes weren’t as racy as Serena’s. The only thing was piano sx, which wasn’t even racy. Now that Serena is back on drugs, it’s probably her. IF it’s GG.