Michael Clarke Duncan Dead at 54; Oscar Nominee Appeared on TV's The Finder, Chuck

Get More: In Memoriam

Oscar-nominated actor Michael Clarke Duncan passed away on Monday, seven weeks after suffering a heart attack, his fiancée Omarosa Manigault said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 54.

Duncan was admitted to the hospital in mid-July after suffering a myocardial infarction, from which he never recovered; three weeks later, he was moved out of ICU but remained hospitalized.

A onetime bodyguard who turned to acting in his thirties, the 6-foot-4 Duncan earned Academy Award, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award nominations for his work in 1999′s The Green Mile, in which he played a gentle giant of a prison inmate who possessed a supernatural gift. His other film credits includes Sin City, Talladega Nights, The Scorpion King and Daredevil.

On the small screen, he most recently had a series regular role on Fox’s short-lived Bones spin-off The Finder, playing the title character’s right-hand man/legal adviser. Duncan’s TV credits also included guest-starring turns on Chuck (in Season 2′s “Chuck vs. The First Date”), Two and a Half Men and CSI: NY, and much voice work. One of the actor’s first on-camera roles was in TV’s The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, as “Tiny.”

In a statement to TVLine, Mercedes Masohn, who costarred on The Finder with Duncan, said:

As all of his fans know, Michael had a smile that would light up the screen. His presence was commanding due to his large stature and even larger biceps (he’d want me to say that; I know he’s flexing proudly somewhere). I’m sad we lost a big teddy bear who cared so greatly for animals of all sizes… and he loved them so sweetly. I feel honored to have worked with him. My thoughts go out to his family and friends and all those who will miss him. RIP Michael Clark Duncan.

Other friends and peers of Duncan’s started shared remembrances via Twitter.

“Michael Clarke Duncan was a truly great guy. Funny, friendly and talented,” tweeted BonesJohn Francis Daley, who once crossed over to The Finder. “I’m going to miss him.”

“Blessed to have had the opportunity to work with Michael Clarke Duncan while he was still with us. He was a kind soul that will be missed,” wrote Chuck‘s Zachary Levi, while Adam Baldwin said, “R.I.P. dear Michael. We were all honored and privileged to know you and work with you on Chuck. Farewell, gentle giant.”

“Had the pleasure of working on two things with Michael Clark Duncan: The Green Mile, and as a guest star on CSI: NY,” said Gary Sinise. “A real gentleman.”

“Michael Clarke Duncan was just the most gentle, kind giant of a man,” shared Beauty and the Beast‘s Kristin Kreuk, who worked with the actor on 2009′s Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. “He will be missed.”

“Michael Clarke Duncan always had a smile on his face and a big bear hug ready for you,” said The Newsroom‘s Olivia Munn, who costarred with him on the indie comedy The Slammin’ Salmon.

“RIP to my friend Michael Clarke Duncan. A kind and gentle Giant. A friend that will be missed!” tweeted the actor’s longtime pal and NFL vet Michael Strahan.

In a visit to TVLine’s 2011 Comic-Con suite, Duncan (at the 55-second mark) shared his enormous sense of fun, teasing costar Geoff Stults about how he was actually cast first, and remembering their first time working together (on, as they both joke, the not-well-remembered movie D.E.B.S.):

Loading video...

Comments (41)

• What a sad Labor Day this has become for the movie world… :(

Comment by Lambsilencer – September 3, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t have said it better :(

Comment by Eli – September 3, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what incredibly sad news….

Comment by CA – September 3, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on The Iron Cupcake and commented:
    I always enjoyed his appearances on “The Late Late Show” with Craig Ferguson, including the show’s recent trip to Scotland.

Comment by The Iron Cupcake – September 3, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This makes me so sad. I was always glad to see him on Ferguson, too.

Comment by Leah – September 3, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, I was thinking about that, too! He seemed fine there, and he was so entertaining.
      What a shame to hear this news. Rest in peace, Mr. Duncan.

Comment by Angela – September 4, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really sad. My Heart goes out to his family.

Comment by Aidan Williams – September 3, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was with you (and shocked and saddened and still am), until you insulted DEBS. Really…. that was really needed in the article? Seriously??

Comment by daniexj – September 3, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you watch the embedded video, it is alluding to what the actors themselves say about the movie. Nonetheless, the copy has been edited slightly.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – September 3, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That makes me sad. I loved his voice.

Comment by Aleksa – September 3, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to read this news. I enjoyed him in many projects, most recently The Finder.
    RIP Michael. xo.

Comment by Eliza – September 3, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about a very sad, very trippy moment – I just finished watching him in Chuck vs. the First Date about five minutes ago, then saw this on twitter.

Comment by Adrienne Cook (@adrienne_cook) – September 3, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( RIP

Comment by Tj – September 3, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. Michael Clarke Duncan

Comment by Master_K – September 3, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Mr. Duncan. Daredevil and Green Mile have always been two of my favorites. A true talent that will be missed.

Comment by Deeezy – September 3, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP :(

Comment by Renee – September 3, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad. What a loss for his family and for movie and tv fans all over the world.

Comment by realhousewivesrealprofessor – September 3, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad news. A wonderful actor with a smile I will never forget. Rest in Michael Clarke Duncan

Comment by Danielle – September 3, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Correction to my post – Rest in ‘Peace’ Michael Clarke Duncan

Comment by Danielle – September 3, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad. He will be missed.

Comment by RainDance – September 3, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved him on The Finder. This has been a horrendous year regarding the demise of notable people. RIP

Comment by Templar – September 3, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a great loss. He always added to any film he was in.
    RIP Michael!

Comment by Bronco46 – September 3, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. I loved his work as an actor and he seemed so nice in interviews. Really loved the finder. RIP. Thought and prayers are with his family and friends.

Comment by Kelly – September 3, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so devastaed to hear about his passing, Gentle Giant fits him well. He will b greatly greatly missed. Rest in Gods arms gentle giant.

Comment by Vickie – September 3, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad. I loved him on The Finder. I watched that clip above and it made me cry. Such a loss.

Comment by Renee – September 3, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad news. What a loss to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

Comment by Linderella – September 3, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tearing up. He had me captivated since i first saw him in armageddon, i think.

Comment by lorna – September 3, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He seemed like a lovely, genuine man. I was a fan of his work since Armageddon. RIP Michael. You will be missed.

Comment by Renthead621 – September 3, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg :(

Comment by adam – September 3, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel stunned. I feel like I just saw him recently on Craig Ferguson and he looked so healthy and vibrant. I can’t believe this happened to someone so young.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 3, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no! I’ve loved him in every single thing I’ve seen him in, and he always seemed like such a kind soul. He will be greatly missed. His loved ones are in my prayers.

Comment by Ace – September 3, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is so terribly sad. he was so young! my heart goes out to all who knew and love him.

Comment by murley – September 3, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rest in Peace!

Comment by salabama – September 3, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. :-(

Comment by Radu – September 3, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very sad news to read Michael Clarke Duncan was a great actor and he will surely be missed. I think I’ll watch The Green Mile tomorrow, it’s been a while since I’ve seen it last and I wanna watch his performance again.

Comment by jake – September 3, 2012 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to hear about him. Loved him in the green mile and in the finder. I was looking forward to see him in sin city 2. It was always a treat when he appeared on the LLS; he and craig seemed to have the best of times.
    RIP MCD :(

Comment by Polly – September 4, 2012 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shocking and sad news. He seemed like such a loving man. I first saw him in The Green Mile, which blew me away.

Comment by Sareeta – September 4, 2012 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rest in Peace. You will be missed.

Comment by J – September 4, 2012 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. He was the best part of The Finder.

Comment by Bob – September 4, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Michael, you wil be missed.
    The Green Mile has always been one of my favorite movies.

Comment by Laurel – September 4, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post