Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Preview: The Mentalist, Even Amid Trust Issues, Makes a 'Huge Leap' in the Red John Hunt

The MentalistThe Mentalist is getting much closer to unmasking Red John.

At the end of last season, Jane went to extremes to get close to the elusive killer’s agent, Lorelei (played by Emmanuelle Chriqui), and it will pay off in big ways in the new season — and in a new time slot, Sundays at 10/9c, debuting Sept. 30.

RELATED | CBS Has Plan to ‘Solve’ Sunday Night’s NFL Delay Problem

Now that the crime solver has a steady source of information – Chriqui will be featured “throughout the season,” says executive producer Bruno Heller – expect the hunt for the CBS drama’s Big Bad to move forward “in a very concrete way.”

“I can’t say that we’re going to catch Red John in the middle of the season,” continues the EP, “but those who are following that story are going to get a huge leap forward in terms of what we know about him and where we’re going.”

RELATED | Exclusive: The Mentalist Brings Back William Forsythe and Samaire Armstrong, Introduces Jane’s [Spoiler]

Meanwhile, the aforementioned serial killer won’t sit idly by. Since Lorelei’s capture by the CBI team wasn’t really in his plans, expect the mysterious figure to retaliate and dispense more secret agents.

“When you first meet these guys, these might be good guys, they might be bad guys,” says Heller. “We have a few people returning, and we have some great new characters coming in who may or may not be Red John’s friends.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on The Mentalist’s Lisbon, Person of Interest, Private Practice, Modern Family and More

While Heller won’t point fingers for fear of ruining the surprise, he does note that “Red John himself told Jane that he had someone inside the FBI.” Enter new recurring players Polly Walker (Rome) as “the FBI equivalent of CBI Director Bertram” and Ivan Sergei (Charmed) as another G-man. The two law agencies are already in a battle for dibs on Lorelei, and the shadow of suspicion left behind by Red John’s words will only make “the conflict between those two organizations even more complex than it would be.”

Adds Heller: “As we reveal, via Lorelei, more and more about Red John’s plans, it becomes clear that there are fewer and fewer people that Jane and Lisbon and the CBI team can really trust.”

Comments (160)

• Frankly, I’m sick of the Red John story line and I’ve started skipping episodes that feature him. Mentalist is best when it’s the CBI team and Jane solving the case of the week.

Comment by PJL – September 3, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree…

Comment by CAM – September 3, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Mentalist has gone the way of Monk for me. It is so slow moving and tedious that I don’t bother with it unless there is absolutely nothing else on.

Comment by Templar – September 3, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree wholeheartedly. I am a loyal fan of crime and mystery books and shows, but this is getting to be boring. Is this about Simon Baker and Red John, or is this about using his skills of observation to aid the police and allow some leeway and bending of the procedures. I gave up last season on the mentalist. They should have ended it when it was believable during the mall killing. I am sure we cannot be alone in feeling this way. I prefer Castle, CSI, Law and Order, etc. This reminds me of Friday the 13th (App parts) when the viewer has an unfair disadvantage in trying to solve the crime ahead of the police. My willing suspension of disbelief gave out a shortly after the introduction of Red John. The plot is just too far-fetched and beyond coincidental.

Comment by Ron – October 1, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, this RJ thing is played out, to the point where it has become a bore to try and keep up with, I firmly believe that RJ’s identity should be revealed in this the 5th series and not be allowed to continue in such a monotonous manner. I think the show can still be salvaged if the producers pull a rabbit from the hat and put an unpredictable spin in concluding the RJ saga, and continue along with the story line of Jane using his talents to trick and trap elusive and genuis killers, I encourage CBS to act fast and stopped flagging a dead horse before its too late and The Mentalist loses all credibility as a crime/drama thriller. **apologies for the rather loose usage of the word thriller**

Comment by foxxy – October 28, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. Stopped caring after the mall / Red John episode. Enjoy the dynamics of the show and the actors, but OMG get a new story arc!

Comment by Cindy – September 3, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto!

Comment by Lorie – September 3, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The arc isn’t the problem. It is that they have evolved it into this mega conspriacy as if everyone in Jane’s life is a potential RJ agent. It was much better when he was just a elusive killer jane was trying to find

Comment by scott – September 26, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • EXACTLY! The scope is what killed it.

Comment by Alichat – September 30, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually only started watching The Mentalist this summer in re-runs on TNT. I haven’t seen all of the seasons, and even I am sick to death of the Red John story. That story should have been resolved with the mall episode when he shot Bradley Whitford.

Comment by Alichat – September 3, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They should have introduced a new supervillain Jane would stick around to catch and resolved the Red John case at the end of season 3 as you said. That was a great moment, and then they ruined it by trying to “scooby-doo” ending it.

Comment by Jennifer – November 13, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree! Should’ve solved Red John a couple of seasons ago. The story line really detracts from the show. There are so many stories they could tell without ever, ever going back to Red John!

Comment by amadeline – September 3, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am right there with you. The writers and the producer should be able to come up with more villains than just Red John. I stopped watching the show after it was revealed Jane did not shoot the real Red John. If they have not caught him by now the show should be cancelled.

Comment by tvdiva – September 3, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • red john is the lex luthor to simon baker’s superman, if you don’t get that as being one of the core concepts of the show, then move on.

Comment by ohlala – September 4, 2012 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure, if you want to reduce it to comic book level. That works for an audience of adolescent boys, but not for the rest of us. I guess we know what your mentality might be.

Comment by Templar – September 4, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To the most compassionate member of mensa: is it necessary to attempt to fillet a person based on an apt comment? Would you rather continue to compare the duo to Holmes and Moriarty? Ooo … too cool for us “Templar”. Go watch some more tv dude.

Comment by melissa – September 5, 2012 09:11 PM PDT
        • I agree, granted we all want Red John revealed, but the show would end without the hunt for Red John. That is why he is with the CBI in the first place.

Comment by Jamie – October 8, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree! I always did think the Red John thread was boring and distracted from the show. I fear this show may have run it’s course. Last season seemed tired. It sort of felt like the last season of Numb3rs where they just seemed to run out of story ideas that fit the premise of the show. Given it’s new time slot, I suspect Red John’s final victim may be the show itself

Comment by Tom – September 4, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously, the whole story is between Patrick and Red John.

Comment by Steve – September 27, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it is going the way it should. Do you really think that with Red John gone Jane and the team will solve cases the way they have been. Red John is the catalyst to all of their characters, so to get rid of him would spoil the whole show. :)

Comment by Sarah – September 8, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Red john rules! It would be unwise to say anything else

Comment by walt – September 27, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that The Mentalist is best when it’s the CBI team, which is excellent casting in my opinion. Love Patrick and would love to see an improvement in his life. Please write out Red John and fast or the show will not attract the audience you are hoping for. Great stories and actors – I loved Dr. Steiner. Give us more great cases for them to solve and more insites into the team’s private lives as well. Good bye Red John and good riddance.

Comment by Sylvia Simpson – September 19, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with being tired of the RJ arc. I love this show for one reason. I think if they would admit it…everyone else does too. Jane does and says outrageous things that we all REALLY wish we could get away with :)

Comment by Anna – September 21, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IMO the reason why the Red John plot line cant be wrapped up until the series finale is Patrick Jane is Red John.

Comment by Jane austen – September 23, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. I think that Jane is Red John himself. I don’t know whether it will appear as him being conscious of that or result into a split personality

Comment by Alda – January 7, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so sick of this Red John case I. wish they would just reveal who read John is and move on. it’s so boring now I’ve watched all 4 seasons faithfully. they should just killed Red John on season 2 at the mall. What is it going to take for you guys to just really understand this Red John arc has been drawn out way too long. just kill Red John show who the hell he is. It is time to forgdt about Red John and move the show with Patrick Jane, Lisbon, Rigsby grace and cho.

Comment by Dave O – November 5, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen. Reveal Red John & let’s move on. Enough already. And if you’re sending Jane down a dark path, please make it brief. I like him better with that twinkle in those baby blues.

Comment by Elaine Bondra – November 5, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The red john idea adds suspense, it also adds drama and mystery. That’s the whole reason there’s a red john. I think it is Lisbon who is red john because she seems most likely to make you say “woah!”

Comment by Marcy Laduclau – June 25, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it me, but why is “The Mentalist” even still around? Why do the writers let Patrick Jane’s character get away with so much? That annoys me, it’s unrealistic. Sometimes Lisbon isn’t even needed on the show. She basically lets Jane do whatever he wants. And this Red John thing just drags on forever.

Comment by Cliff – December 10, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really enjoy The Mentalist.
      However the ‘Panama Red’ episode was a terrible let down.
      All we got at the end, after an hour’s buildup, was a Red John blood scrawl- –
      instead of the high-quality clever crime solution we so enjoy.
      I don’t want to watch any more Mentalist episodes that include Red John.

Comment by Flavio – January 1, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get rid of Lisbon

Comment by marie brady – February 19, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Get rid of Honey Bo Bo! You leave Lisbon alone, she’s a nice young lady, and she’s packing heat!

Comment by Walt – February 20, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey, did u guys at CBS steal my red john rules from my sept 27 post for ur season finale title? Cause if u did that would be unwise! Na, that would be cool.

Comment by Walt Reinmiller – May 5, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so sick of everybody being so sick of Red John. Just don’t watch! Clever show,characters are great once you know them and not every show is about RJ. Matter of fact I hope that Red John character gets to go on that Honey Bo Bo show !

Comment by Walt – February 20, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Many of us are sick of the Red John angle…..resolve this already! Really enjoy the episodes that Jane figures out other murder angles really tired of the continual Red John drone it is being over used and is like the continual drip of a faucet. ANNOYING!

Comment by D.West – March 11, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like to watch the mentaslist red john or not. It is a great show.

Comment by Marcy Laduclau – June 25, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to disagree, those are the best episodes. I love the red john eppies there is not enough of them each season.

Comment by Bettyboo – October 26, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for the new season to start! Hopefully, we’ll see Jane and Lisbon’s relationship getting more romantic. :)

Comment by Debby – September 3, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! Jane and Lisbon need to get togther. They are so cute

Comment by Sarah – September 5, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jane and Lisbon should totally get together, they are such a good match and they will make a great couple!!! Red John is the whole reason why Jane is with the CBI so can u people please just stop trying to write him out, I like the plot and the only things I wanna change are that Jane and Lisbon get together, Cho and Summer get back together and Grace and Wayne get together!!!

Comment by Jemma Ginn... The Mentalist's number 1 fan!!!!! – November 12, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused. Since when do serial killers have an army of drones and law enforcement agents to do their bidding? The occasional sick fan or copycat I’ll buy, but FBI agents? This story line has gotten way out of hand. (And Jane has become steadily less likable over the course of the series.)

Comment by coolpeak – September 3, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a television DRAMA. Of course the FBI is in bed with Red John. If you want reality, watch some reality tv. It makes for a fun ride. Just enjoy it =)

Comment by Chris – September 3, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Jane becoming less likable. I stopped watching last season because of it. I am patiently waiting for the RJ arc to be over so I can watch again. I have really been enjoying the reruns on TNT (I think that’s the channel).

Comment by tp – September 3, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It totaly agree with tp.
        Jane IS less likeable… And poor Lisbon. Season 4 just made me sad. I stopped watching during Season 4, too.

I’m back.. I care for LIsbon and the team.
        I don’t care for Patrick Jane and Red John at all. Go kill each other !!

Comment by Susi – October 28, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. They lost me with all the “Drones” he has based on nothing. He isn’t making those people wealthy, he isn’t making them famous and he certainly can’t be that good in the sack (i.e. all the reasons people would blindly follow a serial killer have been removed). If I wanted to watch full on fantasy I’d be watching kids cartoons.

Comment by Marion – December 17, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the Red John plot thickens (convolutes)… oh joy. And Lorelai sticks around, and there’s another mole, and Jane will concoct a new hare-brained trap which RJ will easily avoid. And… Homeland is on at the same time right? I’ll check back in if/when Jane and Lisbon address their feelings for each other.

Comment by Saint Alicia – September 3, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree. But hey: Jane said “Love you” to Lisbon in Season 4 finale.
      Jisbon we’re getting there ! Season 5 is quite promising so far.

A lot of people get tired of RJ so they give us litlle more Jisbon to keep us watching…

Comment by Susi – October 28, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grrr I’m getting tired of these articles that reveal nothing new!

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – September 3, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sick of Red John, I skip those episodes. I hate how everything ends right where it begins with that story arc, we’re never sure if we know anything. I totally agree about Jane getting less likable. I just don’t care anymore. Hopefully this will be the shows last season and our curiosity will be aatisfied. It’s a pity to’ Simon Baker is a wonderful actor.

Comment by Naomi – September 3, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Count me in with the ones who are fed up with the long-running adversary story arc. I can see the attraction for the producers, to keep dragging these things along so that fans will come back to see if “maybe, THIS time Jane/McGarrett/Beckett/Jack Shepherd/Sidney Bristow will really find out who’s behind all this and put a stop to it so he/she/they can get on with their lives, thereby justifying our faith in them.” These little hints we’re all supposed to pick up on, and piece together over the entire season to discover what’s really going on – you can have ‘em, I’ve got better things to do with my time. I just want to watch the show. You’d think the producers and writers could save themselves a lot of time and effort if they just stuck to writing regular scripts and injecting the occasional episode that dealt with their precious “mystery nemesis”.

Comment by Webb – September 3, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’m still hanging in there. I agree that the RJ thing is frustrating and slightly annoying, but I’m still watching. I really don’t want Jane and Lisbon to get together. Shows instantly become boring to me once the sexual tension is gone. So I’m hoping that if they do hook up, it’ll be at the very end of the series.

Comment by Jerri – September 3, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the red john storyline, it’s what keep me in love with the mentalist. Without Jane obsession with red john; the show is just another cop+civilian team.
    I’m not desesperate to know who he is; I like the mystery and I love to see Jane darker side when he’s on RJ trail.

Comment by numer0six – September 3, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I watched all the episodes of the 2 first seasons. But I found myself skipping a lot of the S3 and S4 episodes that were not Red John-related. And I love when the show goes dark, with Patrick always crossing the line when it comes to RJ.

After all, this is Bruno Heller show. Look at Rome, and all the bad things the characters always did, but you were always rooting for them.

Im exciting for the Polly Walker character, she was wonderful on both Rome and Caprica.

Comment by αrmαиndo α. – September 3, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the red john storyline is so limiting. I’m much more interested in Jane as a character. The man loses his family in a horrible way, which causes him to experience equal parts of grief and guilt. He then decides to join the CBI (to seek vengence? to punish himself for his sin of ego? to assuage his guilt?). His gifts catch bad guys and help others, yet he never sees himself as a hero. And the whole search for RJ prevents him from ever trying to heal and move past the tragedy. He forms attachments but can not become attached for fear of others getting hurt because of him.When you’ve got a lead character that is so juicy…so complicated and fascinatin… then the red john character need only be a footnote, in my opinion.

Comment by zaza – September 3, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I amused by the folks who claim they skip the epiodes with Red John because they want folks on the interent to think they’re oh-so-above it all. Oh yeah, sure you do; liar, liar pants on fire. LOLOLOLOL

Comment by RedJohn – September 3, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t skip episodes but the Red John ones are my least favorite. I stopped liking the Red John story after Jane shot a killed a man that turned out not to be Red John. If he had been RJ, it would have been perfect end to that story line.

Comment by Carm – September 3, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick @ Lisbon should have a roll, or 2…. But not a couple, friends to the core… Red John, is Jane’s nemesis. Keep on, keeping on!!! I really Enjoy watching, with my wife, 24yrs.

Comment by poppax – September 3, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am more tired of the producers trying to convince me that Lisbon is a sexy woman and that Jane should just have a roll in the hay (with her.) She is so miscast it kills the show in mid story whenever Lisbon has a long speech or tries so hard to think smoke comes out her ears. That combined with the “dear gods enough already” stringing out of Red John – I gave up last season, I was hoping Lisbon was Red John so they could kill off two bad story lines with one pen.

Comment by grace – September 3, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grace – did you just jump inside my brain to write this comment? I gave up last season too, and for the same reasons. I spent every episode trying to figure out who in casting thought the actress playing Lisbon was right for the role. She’s a terrible actress, and one of the least attractive leads on tv. Add in the fact that the Red John story should have ended with Jane shooting the real deal in the mall and I just can’t watch anymore!

Comment by Rain – September 4, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA. Not only is she a sub par actress, she is far too butch to appeal to the snobbish Jane.

Comment by Templar – September 4, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I see so very little wisdom and observance of life in these three comments. Even if beauty weren’t subjective, and even if your opinion of her looks was fact, not opinion, what does that mean? Only beautiful people deserve love? Or Patrick should have some girl who, in your opinion, is beautiful because in real life we all fall in love with people we percieve are beautiful. (Actually, I believe it’s the opposite, people are beautiful because we love them, love enhances beauty.) Love has nothing to do with exteriors. Beauty comes from within, not merely without and a pretty face does not a love make-infatuation, yes. Pretty as I believe her to be on the outside, Lisbon is gorgeous on the inside, loyal, brave and true, caring, kind, strong, empathetic-in fact, she’s stunning. That’s what matters. She’s stuck by his side and cared for him when no one else gave a damn.

I love good criticism, tempered with at least one thing positive in it. What I dislike is stuff like this. Never does this sort of “criticism” do any good. Because really, what’s encompassed in these comments is a bunch of pride, arrogance, cruelty, shallowness, callous insensitivity, selfishness and foolishness, with no trace of empathy or compassion, blustering opinions paraded as fact, with little thought displayed in the contents proffered. My point is, what good does it do if, even though your definition of beauty speaks of who you are, your character, and is extremely subjective, what good does it do for anyone to tell someone, or others that you think a person is ugly?

Needless to say, while I love a reading good opine on pulchritude, (I don’t think that was the point of your comment-to start a discussion on aesthetics) like the treatise, On Beauty by Plotinus, it hardly needs to be said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve seen many people remark, besides myself, on her beauty. So just because you don’t fine her to your tastes doesn’t mean really much in the end. I’ve seen people who think Marilyn Monroe or Angelina Jolie as ugly. I disagree. As for her acting ability, I think she’s a very good actress, actually better than many an actress I’ve seen in hit shows who are quite popular.

I didn’t intend on coming here and having a discussion on aesthetics, and I hope that I treated you with respect, because you and your opinion are not one. I can reject your opinion and the validity of the facts and things you opine, and still respect you.

Comment by @ grace, rain and Templar – September 4, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Good criticism.
            Excessive response. Long winded. Use less Thesaurus.com (I’m sure it’s on your Chrome most visited list). Don’t make so many stated and implied contradictions. You have good prose.

Comment by Church – September 17, 2012 06:02 PM PDT
      • wow shallow shallow people. Makes me sick.

Comment by mary – October 26, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with everyone else on this one…. enough with Red John. Move on, solve it, find something new because this is beyond tedious now. Someone wrote that it was the magic between Jane and the crew that mattered, and that’s so true. The story is so convoluted and ridiculous now that it’s no fun to watch anymore. May lose me soon.

Comment by Liana in San Diego – September 3, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Mentalist is one of my all time favorite shows. I would hate it if they put lisbon with jane. They have no chemistry and are much better as friends. There have been plenty of other characters to walk through that had a lot more chemistry that would be great to bring back. Like the psychic Jane was trying to prove was a fake. He then asked her out for tea or coffee. I agree there does need to be some resolution with the Red john storyline. So confused now to who it could be. Hope it isn’t a main character in on it though.

Comment by thementalistfan – September 3, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I like that the 2 leads are friends. It’s refreshing and different from the usual “will they/won’t they”. Jane by default is the main focus of the show, and the actress playing Lisbon understands that, it seems.

Comment by tara – September 5, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heller is just dangling this in front of us like he does every season. He said in season one that Red John was a series long story, so all the scoop that it might get resolved is ridiculous and really unfair to us fans.
    I love the show, but the Red John stuff is really really boring now. It should have ended with the Bradley Whitford episodes.
    And Loreli is an incredibly annoying character. I’m not looking forward to seeing more of her.

Comment by mia – September 3, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yikes. looks like a lot of people are ready for the Red John storyline to wrap up. I must say, the reason I watch is for Jane, Lisbon and the team. So, if Red John is gone, I really wouldn’t mind at all.
    So far, I’ve liked everything I’ve heard in the interviews BH has given re: the new season. In fact, I’m really looking forward to having the show back after the long hiatus.
    Oh, and Jane and Lisbon are so great whenever they are in a scene together. I really hope they get them together. And I really, really hope they don’t cheapen Lisbon’s awesome character or what she and Jane have by making her a “roll in the hay”. She deserves better. Besides, it’s been perfect the way they’ve been doing it all along-slow, sweet and realistic. It doesn’t feel contrived or foisted in; it feels natural. That’s not easy to come by in most shows these days.
    Thanks for the “Mentalist” news, Vlada. Appreciate it.

Comment by Rubix – September 3, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wanted to add, I don’t dislike Jane now, but I will admit my favorite Jane is the one from season one. He had a child-like inquisitiveness and would do cool things for people like with the girl and her mom’s operation money. And buying Lisbon that pony for her birthday. Or telling her he would always protect her. He was just pretty awesome then. I miss that.
      And I miss Cho and Rigsby playing off of each other. Jane and Lisbon are great together whether solving a case, bantering or flirting. You pretty much can’t go wrong. Cho and Rigsby used to be fun to watch too. I think the show has lost a bit of that, the fun, not just Jane and Co and Rigsby. It’s still my favorite though. Love Jane, Lisbon and the entire team. They’re why I come back every week.

Comment by Rubix – September 3, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So like, where’s the trailer?

Comment by Teresa Lisbon – September 3, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • get a life…

Comment by U-Moronz – September 4, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you mean a life like yours, where you aimlessly troll the blogs when you have nothing to add to the conversation? That kind of a life?

Comment by Templar – September 4, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stay on topic, people.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 4, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having an arch-villain (ala Lex Luthor) is one thing if it’s done well, but pulling the same tired bait-and-switch act every season has grown tedious (and expected). The Red John storyline has become beyond ridiculous. Wrap. It. Up.

Comment by John – September 4, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every show like this has to have a protagonist and an antagonist. Even when they get away from the Red John stuff for a few episodes, you have questions because it’s still a present issue. If you take Red John out of the equation entirely (and when Jane shot Bradley Whitford, who we’re all thinking IS Red John, during that season finale, I was BLOWN AWAY!), what happens to Jane? Does he continue working with the CBI or does he finally start to heal and live his life? I want to see how it unravels. Simon Baker does such an amazing job on the show and the show itself is often overlooked. There’s amazing writing done on The Mentalist. That’s why I watch. I totally understand why someone would get bored and tune out, it’s easy to do and I’m guilty of that with many shows myself. We’re all entitled to watch what we choose, that’s why we have remotes.

Comment by RainDance – September 4, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of different opinions here. I love the show. I love the characters. As for a Jane/Lisbon link up. I’m happy the writers have never made this a will they/wont they continuing issue. They have each others backs. I can see that over the years (tv seasons) they can grow together. (how many years did it take for Harm & Mac to get together on Jag) That is the kind of build up I like in their relationship. As for Lisbon. I love her character (and the actress). A tough upbringing. Had to take care of herself and her brothers. You expect a softie to accomplish that?
    They have both been through hard times, now they do a great job. As for RJ. As long as he is not around every week I can take him in small doses.
    I think the rest of the cast are great and I like it that they are kept in the s//l’s. They don’t disappear and make us wonder where on earth they are. As for Rigby and his new family. If we are on linking characters together I’d like to eventually see him and Grace back together and Cho with that cute, sorry what do they call the person that feeds you information?
    I’m looking forward to this new season.

Comment by Joy – September 4, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank-you for posting positive feedback! (:

Comment by Erin D. – September 4, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree with those who have posted here, saying they are sick and tired of Bruno Heller constantly dangling the Red John “clues” in our faces, with never a resolution. At first, I thought it was clever for the show runners to open and close each season with a “Red John” show, but in the middle of the season, we would just get “case of the week” episodes. A few of them have been entertaining — I liked “Red Carpet Treatment” (Season 3) and “Jolly Red Elf” (also Season 3) — but most of the stand-alone episodes have been instantly forgettable.

The stand-alones have become tiresome. I pledge NOT to watch any future Mentalist episodes that do not advance the Red John storyline. Yes, I realize that Bruno and his team don’t give a damn whether I — one single viewer — watch their show or not. But I want to add to the growing chorus of posters who complain about this “bait and switch” technique.

If enough of us who are sick and tired of this, keep posting our concerns here on the Internet, maybe someone on Heller’s team will take notice and stop giving us the runaround.

Cheers,
    Dan

Comment by Dan N. – September 4, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe how many of you are hating on the subject! Can you not see that Patrick Jane’s character’s main motives for staying with CBI is to take his revenge out on this criminal mastermind?! You have to look at the situation from the writers point of view! Face it: if they had resolved it earlier, all of you would have been p-oed! The fact that the writer’s were to create a complex killer such as RJ is mind blowing. STOP HATING ON THE EPISODES! It’s all about character development, and that can’t be done in just 3 or 4 seasons. That’s what makes THE MENTALIST what it is today, and why it is different from any other regular crime show; we are still seeing character development. Now I know I’m going to recieve some feedback that’s going to be a but hateful, but truly I don’t care. THE MENTALIST is one of the best well written shows of our time, and there is no need for people to say any negative comments, however, everyone has the right to it. I will admit that. Now that that’s over…
    TVLine.com, thanks so much for this update! The suspense is truly feirce, and I cannot wait for this season!

Comment by Erin D. – September 4, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And by the way, I’m sorry if anyone thought I was being mean or rude, I wasn’t trying to be!

Comment by Erin D. – September 4, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE the Red John story and can’t wait until they feature it! I’m surprised that so many don’t like it. But I always did like a good mystery and this one I just can’t figure out. Maybe that is why I like it so much. I think it is such an intelligent show and the twists and turns and surprises keep me coming back!

Comment by Laura – September 4, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i absolutely love Patrick Jane. he’s funny and brilliant, and the mystery of red john is killing me.

Comment by crystalmary subrati-raphael – September 6, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOST in a dream: “Red John” is Patrick Jane’s imaginary perfect symmetry alter-ego, a Professor Moriarty character in a “Tommy Westphall” imaginary world like a “St. Elsewhere” snow globe and “Life on Mars,” and Jane is a mental patient with a cracked eggshell who suffers from paranoid delusions due to feelings of extreme guilt in the deaths of his wife and child who were burned as he was in a horrific car accident involving a driver named Tanner when he failed to stop at a BLINKING RED LIGHT – hence the RJ symbol – while he was driving intoxicated and spends his days watching TV shows, which generate his ideas for the delusional episodes. “The Mentalist” is obsessed with fire, as in half the episodes it plays a significant plot point: Out of the Frye-ing pan into the… As Kristina Frye discovered, when you get too close to Red John, you get burned. “Tiger, Tiger burning bright, they were “Au-burned.” In the “Red Mile” episode Jane arrives at a crime scene outside Auburn, California. Shouts from Alabama football fans of “Roll Tide” first appeared during the Alabama-Auburn Tiger game in 1907. Curiously, a corpse was found in a burned car in “Ruby Slippers,” in which Jane discovers the identity of Fifi Nix, like Jane’s Phoenix, has risen from the ashes of his past life. Note the fire-y headline on the newspaper Tim Carter was reading before Jane shot him. The fake Jane character in “Red Moon” where another corpse was found in a burned car was named Ellis Mars.

Ellis Mars: The mind is a powerful weapon. It can create reality.

RJ AKA Roy Tagliaferro (read: “cut iron”) anagram is “court irony.” How ironic that Jane, a master reader of how others’ emotions control them, was a prisoner of his own.

In the end the Mentalist was on the mental list, a prisoner of his own device.

Comment by John Scott – September 8, 2012 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow!!!!!
      didn’t notice these signs in the show.I started watchin the show recently and
      I can’t figure out how Bret stiles is related to red John.

Comment by ash.india – October 10, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uve spent too much time sumizing a poor theory

Comment by jase85 – September 9, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hi, I really like the mentalist but I should also say that the red john’s story line has gone long enough, it should be ended . there’s too much conspiracy in it , Red John controls people as a chess pawns even those who work as agents in the FBI which make it a little difficult to believe . I hope it’ll end soon and Jane catches him in this season. Thanks

Comment by al_sami – September 10, 2012 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From what I’ve read season 5 should answer alot of questions regarding Red John, and there is also an episode (2) that deals with Jane & his daughter, and the 100th episode (6)
    is going to show how Jane first joined the CBI, right after his family was killed. I’m just saying that if you’ve watched the Mentalist all along, you might as well continue to watch now that the end of the RJ arc is within sight.

Comment by Mark Hudson – September 10, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Jane is Red John. Lisbon will have to kill him in the end.

Comment by F.B. Radom – September 10, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s absurd and not well thought out

Comment by sam waweru – September 11, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jane and red John are what the show is about you all simply want to turn to the last page and see how the story ends

Comment by sam waweru – September 11, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, I want the book to move from the first chapter. There has been very little reveal or character movement beyond the last few eps of last season. Enough is enough, solve it, reveal it, let us know but not Jane so we feel involved but I AM BORED of this nonsense.

Comment by Grace – September 11, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that they will deal with the whole rj thing by the end of the season. the problem is that rj is such an integral part of janes story that i would wrap up the show after rj is unmasked.

Comment by jase85 – September 13, 2012 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, the red John story line should climax and end. The true joy of this show is the way Jane uses his ability to humiliate, Cho’s cold humor, Lisbon’s handling of Jane, Rigsby’s never ending what if with Van Pelt, and Van Pelt’s I like to shoot people attitude. More tea anyone?

Comment by Geominder – September 17, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch the show to see how Patrick Jane deals with his tragedy. Can he forgive? He is not a hero willing to suffer pain and maybe the pain that his wife and child suffered before death is what is eating him up. He has shown a bit of his darker side in the coffin incident at the end of episode 4. I enjoyed that myself! Let the series go where the writers take it. To me it’s been a great ride so far.

Comment by Bala Chander – September 20, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think agent,Susan Darcy, is Red John’s plant in the FBI or the writers just haven’t decided as yet. Also, I think Jane’s psychic lady friend is plant in Jane’s life. She has probably always been a follower of Red John and wasn’t kidnapped at all. Never trusted her. I’m getting a little tired of the Red John theme as well, and I love the show. I think instead of waiting 2 more seasons to reveal who he is, let’s just get it out in the open this season and allow the dedicated fans of this show to have at least 2 more seasons following other crime leads and not have Red John always in the background. The suspense built up to the end of seasons 3 and 4 were very good, especially the end of season 3, but keep up this Red John theme, and the writers are watering down the impact of the serial killer. The suspense will become “ho hum”. Time to move on. Jane will be great as always cracking the cases with the other CBIs and maybe something more — one of these days like developing the respect and, I think, love b/w Lisbon and Jane. Start giving the titles names with another color other than red! It’s time.

Comment by Gld Mo – September 23, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally luv Simon Baker and the mentalist..for all u sadists out there who think the shows boring…dnt wtch !!
    Gt a god damn life ppl….jeez such asses u ppl r…if u dnt lyk it shove it!
    I LOVE IT AND CAN’T WAIT SEASON 5 :D
    No offense ppl

Comment by Anonymous – September 24, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think that Red John is Walter Mashburn?

Thinking about all we know about RJ from seasons 1-4–he’s smart (hasn’t gotten caught yet), charming (both Rosalind Harker and the secretary chic who shot Bosco and his team have told Jane that RJ is charming just like him), well-connected (a serial killer with a cult-like following), a computer whiz (he hacked into the CBI computer system (alternatively if he didn’t do this personally see my previous point)) and likely very rich (the money to bail Jane out of jail, the limo at the end of season 4, the offer to give Jane a new life, managing his criminal cult-like following)–the only person we’ve met on the show who fits all of these criteria is Walter Mashburn. He’s smart, rich and even managed to charm both Jane and Lisbon. And he’s not someone who would be an obvious suspect, very rich people rarely are.

In addition:

Mashburn seemed a bit overly interested in Jane and Jane’s methods when he initially met him. I mean really, Jane crashes his car over a cliff and he’s only slightly annoyed to the point that a few days later he lets Jane borrow his even more expensive car for a joy ride?

In the second episode Mashburn is in, the costume department was very careful to make sure the actor playing Mashburn was wearing red in every scene he was in.

Why would RJ change his voice to sound like some wierd girly man unless Jane (and others) would recognize his real voice?

And the “he is man…” statment written by the informant from season 2; this could have been either mas (the s looking like an n as the person writing it was dying) or ma…..n (where the person writing just tried to finish the word he was writing before he couldn’t write anymore).

Just a thought…. I don’t care if they keep the RJ story line for now, but I do hope they go back to more regular episodes or just end the RJ arc once and for all. I’m not a huge fan of the back and forth.

Comment by a fan – September 25, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think rj is the psychic lady that went missing. I think there was a connection between jane and her in the past that has not been revealed yet. It was her comment that rj would not come after her and RJ’s comment about her in that episode when he saved his life from the copycat that sold me on this story line.

Comment by Geominder – September 25, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ya!this RJ is just bakwas the mentalist is now getting boring,i used to skip the episodes.
    hope the producer could make the episodes more interesting to the viewerrr….
    i don’t get what they are up to????

Comment by neelima – September 26, 2012 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my both the sister is crazy about this show i don’t know what they seem in this show i hate this show but not too much i love wwe raw like something:)

Comment by david – September 27, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Redjohn rules! It would be unwise to say anything else

Comment by walt – September 27, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am over the RJ story line. No serial killer in history has ever been that cunning or able to control that many people from so many different socioeconomic, racial, and gender backgrounds. You have killers who kill in mass groups, that’s mostly the only way they can control that many people at once. However, all of RJ’s people live in different states, regions, etc… Also,I can’t think of a single serial killer that had tentacles that reached as far as RJ’s do. The whole concept of RJ is way too far fetched and has dragged on way too long to be believeable anymore. I can suspend belief and still enjoy a show but I can’t suspend all rational reasoning. They need to get rid of the RJ story line or alter it so that he’s caught and then they spend time trying to delve into the people he still has out in the world while he’s locked up. This is the closest to satisfying everyone. The RJ story somewhat continues for the people who want it and somewhat ends it for the people like me who are sooooooo sick of it.

Comment by Over it! – September 27, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • episodes of mentalist can be more interesting and thrilling if they wrap up the RJ thread and delve deeper into the other characters as motifs. i sure would love to see Rigby’s baby being kidnapped and the team rescuing him,Van Pelt falling in love again, Cho coming to Summer’s rescue and seeing him smiling more often and even crying! or Lisbon getting into a love relationship with a mystery man who would distract her in helping Jane. She should be given more dimensions as a plausible persona, not just one ranting, huffing loveless,lovelorn agent.Perhaps that’s what made her unattractive to some viewers.Her character has become so flat out on Jane. Give her more of life! She deserves it, not just the character who entwines herself to Jane. Lastly, Jane and Lisbon’s relationship should be one that celebrate true friendship, not one that would just fizzle out in the physicality of hooking up.

Comment by rowe n. – September 28, 2012 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the red john plot, but it needs someone closer to Red John than lorelei. I was thinking… what if Red John had a daughter?

Comment by Deanna – October 10, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if PJ is RJ?

Comment by purelife – September 28, 2012 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RJ will never be as elusive and deadly as Jack of All Trades (remember the Profiler).

Comment by larry riggles – September 29, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with the majority. I’ve been sick to death of the Red John story arc for at least 3 seasons. If they don’t wrap it up soon, I’m done.

Comment by Elaine Bondra – September 30, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • urgh, dont say things like this …. especially that my all time fav show is fading ! it breaks my heart to think that it has to end eventually and the day that Patrick Jane doesnt pop into my head daily ” hmmm what would Jane do in this kinda situation “, well that would just be tradgic ! i absolutely love this show !!!

Comment by dana kirk – October 3, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is everyone against red john? The red john episodes are my favourites.

Comment by alison – October 8, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am thinking it is the brother in-law or his brother. If the producers want a shocker and to win in the sweeps has to be someone like the brother in-law or a missing brother. Genetically makes sense.
      If you go the female route , Christine would be my guess.

Comment by Rob – January 8, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe when everybody says Jane is crazy and needs help they are right. Maybe season four and beyond is just his emagination and that he has become so obsessed with Red Jhon that he doesn’t know what’s real and what’s not. Just a thought, I love all the Mentalist episodes -even the Red Jhon ones though it becomes kind of ridiculous.

Comment by IndigoRaven – October 8, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the show for the first few seasons. I am huge fan of Sherlock Holmes stories so this show really got my attention. But my A D D just can’t take this red John , pro. Moreiarty,story line. It’s getting way out of hand. Even with my real life negative view and non trust of anything, all these police and FBI agents and regular people who just willy nilly decide to take up this crazy mans cause is just insane. They give him way to much power and ability for one man. It’s just plain stupid and even though still like the show it’s getting unwatchable. Ya it’s tv it’s not real , but can we keep it semi reasonable? At this point it’s like watching a cartoon! No one just disappears from prison! Give your viewers some credit and stop throwing out this ridiculous dreck. It’s like the writers have gotten lazy and instead of buckling down to come up with a good script they have instead gone for cheap, unbelievable, attention grabs like FBI and CBI fistfighting in the middle of the street. I mean really? Stop taking easy way out, start making thought provoking intelligent stories. Stop with the cartoon episodes, it’s almost like watching 3 stooges.

Comment by The Idiot not abroad – October 9, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post