Doctor Who Recap: Oz, the Great and Powerful

Doctor Who launched its seventh season by plopping the Doctor, Amy and Rory in the middle of their worst nightmare — a parliament full of Daleks — then proceeded to serve up a rollicking, sometimes frightful, at times romantically angsty and ultimately twisty premiere.

The Doctor, with Amy and Rory — who were in the midst of formalizing a separation (!) — were all hoodwinked and hijacked to a Dalek ship, where they were tasked with infiltrating the Dalek asylum, a planet literally chockablock with the warrior races’ worst members. Down there, they would find Oswin Oswald, the seeming sole survivor of a crashed ship called the Alaska, as well as the means to power down the force field that was keeping the Daleks above from incinerating their black sheep brethren below.

RELATED | Doctor Who Season 7: Get Scoop on the First New Episodes

After being literally shot down to the planet, the Doctor and Amy realized that Rory had landed, down a hole, into the very belly of the beastly orb. As they started their search, they met up with another survivor of the Alaska, who promptly led them into his buried capsule… which was populated by several long- and very-dead crew mates. This guy, too, was revealed as a human Dalek, and soon his crew were zombie Daleks. In the course of escaping the ambush, Amy lost the bracelet gizmo that protected her from the planet’s “nanocloud” — aka an atmosphere laden with nanobots that will slowly transform her, too, into a humanoid Dalek. So she and the Doctor had to act fast, and scurried down the ladder into the asylum’s core.

Elsewhere, Rory was led away from an awakened roomful of dormant Daleks by the aforementioned Oswin (played by Jenna-Louise Coleman*), who flirted some with the wayward rescuer. The Time Lord and Amy meanwhile did their best to hold off the latter’s succumbing to the nanobots’ work, which at times had her hallucinating to see Daleks as romanticized people. Not.

Ultimately, the TARDIS crew reunited at the site of a teleport pad, which they planned to use to get back to the Dalek ship just as soon as they had deactivated the force field, clearing the way for its ASAP destruction from above. But the Doctor was resolved to bring the brave, genius Oswin with them, and he began making tracks toward her. As he did so, viewers were made privy to the particulars of Amy and Rory’s estrangement. The catalyst: Rory wanted to give Amy his protective bracelet, positing that he had more love to be sucked out of him by the Daleks (and replaced with anger), because he always loved her more than she loved him.

Amy though said he had it wrong. Because he wanted kids and has always wanted kids, she felt she failed him because she was unable to have any. So while he may have waited 2,000 years for her, she accepted the anguish of deciding to let him go. With the misunderstanding better misunderstood, the duo took a step in the direction of making rebuilding their relationship.

RELATED | Doctor Who‘s Origin Story Will be Told for 50th Anniversary

The Doctor’s race to Oswin brought him to a room full of Daleks anxious to exterminate “the predator,” but Oswin hacked into their hive mind and deleted any knowledge of the Doctor. But how, the Doctor wondered — he’s tried and failed to access their pathnet for years (..and years). Upon approaching Oswin’s confines, he realized exactly how — she was actually a fully transformed robotic Dalek, a onetime human who, out of despair, had constructed a reality where she was still a plucky and super-duper-cute astronaut.

Oswin, though, fended off her Dalek instincts long enough to let the Doctor go free so that he could teleport with Amy and Rory — who were now locked at the lips — back to the Dalek ship, just as the emperor unleashed fire and brimstone upon their races’ castoffs.

And what of the TARDIS crew now deposited on the Dalek ship with no trump card to play? Thanks to Oswin’s crafty handiwork with the “delete” key from moments earlier, the hundreds of ‘bots were left to ask this strange intruder: “Doctor Who???” Cue the TARDIS returning to the Ponds’ doorstep, where a reunion seemed imminent.

VIDEO | Doctor Who Season 7 Preview: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! Weeping Angels! River Song!

* Jenna-Louise Coleman, of course — and this is no spoiler to all but maybe seven of you — will be playing the companion who replaces the Ponds after this season. The question is, how? My money says the Doctor finds her before she experienced that fateful crash-landing on the asylum planet.

What did you think of the good Doctor’s return? And how do you think Jenna-Louise Coleman will fare when she joins the series full-time?

1. Such a great premiere! I’m so happy Doctor Who is back, if only with 5 new episodes before another break and the oh so sad departure of The Ponds.

2. slizabeth says:

My guess about Jenna-Louise is that Oswin Oswald and Clara Oswin are two separate people… Maybe Oswin is Clara’s descendant… Twin? Idk. Great episode.

• Bob says:

“Doctor Who” has had a tradition in the new series to introduce the person playing the new companion in a different role (mostly) before becoming the companion. Except for Billie Piper, there was Freema Agyeman (Army of Ghosts – Adeola), Catherine Tate (Doomsday – The Bride) and Karen Gillan (The Fires of Pompeii – Soothsayer). So Clara Oswin will be some sort of descendant (ancestor?) of Oswin Oswald.

3. David S says:

Actually Matt, she’s playing a woman named Clara from a Victorian setting, so she is most likely going to be an ancestor or relative of sorts. Not the first time this has happened on Who but it was very unusual for this sort of set up.

• Karen MT says:

We don’t know that she’s from the Victorian setting, just that the Christmas episode is. Where she comes from yet, we don’t know.

• Amy says:

Agree with Karen MT. We don’t know she’s Victorian. The Doctor’s dressed up in Victorian garb in the pictures from the set too. It’s just the setting of that episode.

4. I totally agree about Oswin. I think the Doctor will cross paths with her earlier in her own time stream & want her around to try to save her/figure out what she’s all about, plus he’s clearly already intrigued by her. Should make for fantastic scenes with Oswin & the Doctor since he know her fate.

Super sad to see the Ponds go, but I’m very much looking forward to more Oswin.

• Willa says:

It doesn’t make sense that Oswin Oswald, who joined the Alaska to see the universe but crash landed the first time out, would still join up after seeing the universe with the Doctor. She wouldn’t have that drive because she’d have already seen the universe. I doubt he pulls a Donna twice. It’ll be interesting to see how he finds her or she finds him, she is a genius after all.

• It doesn’t make sense because she’d have recognized him from the get-go anyway and would probably let slip that she knew who he was all along. My money’s still on ancestor.

• Amber says:

I hope the doctor doesn’t cross paths with her earlier then have her as a companion. It would be too depressing to know how she’s going to die, plus we already have that with River. The doctor was at least able to “save” River in the Library, but Oswin’s death was pretty horrible.

5. George2k says:

“Doctor Who” best line of the show

6. Rosie (@saxyroro) says:

Bloody fantastic. I had forgotten about her being the new companion. She’s going to be fun!

7. TigerNightmare says:

A ringer ancestor of Oswin’s seems like an easy way out and not very Whovian to me. I’d very much like to see her genius level of intellect to create a new dynamic with the show (if not Jenny’s acrobatics) and I don’t see a Victorian era fluffernutter being able to hack into a toaster oven, let alone anything of consequence.

It’s probably not going to take an entire episode to explain, but probably something like Oswin using some magic technology to absorb the energy of the exploding planet to get her ship to escape and she transfers her consciousness into a clone body. And if she can do that, she could probably get River Song and friends out of The Matrix.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Yeah, I don’t think you introduce and get us jazzed for a plucky, resourceful Oswin here, only to later pull a bait-and-switch and saddle us with, as you say, some “Victorian era fluffernutter.”

• Shikouchi says:

I think a Victorian ancestor is far more likely than Moffat using the exact same thing twice. If his new companion is just Oswin Oswald from before she crash-landed then she is far too similar to River Song. A fast-thinking, fast-talking, Doctor-flirting new character whose first appearance is an out-of order death? Far too similar to me, and too predictable. I expect more from Moffat than just redoing the same thing.

• The Unquiet Dead, Torchwood, and Journey’s End established that ancestors and descendants can look alike (i.e. Gwen and Gwyneth). Coleman is playing two different characters, Oswin and Oswin’s ancestor or descendant.

• Marie says:

I don’t think she’s from the Victorian era. According to spoilers (or maybe just speculation), Oswin is from modern times but gets stuck in 19th century because of the Weeping Angels attack. Anyways, it’s pretty much a requirement in Who that regular companions are from modern day UK in order to be relatable to the audience.

8. Nessie says:

I think she’s going to be awesome. It was brilliant to introduce her now, so that when the ponds leave people already have an idea of what she’ll be like. It will cut down on the bitterness of the transition because she’s so adorable!

I would love to see her brought back as a humanoid dalek (like the ones in the premiere). The creators did say that she was different from any of his previous companions and him traveling with a dalek would certainly be different!

9. Regal says:

Honest truth? I didn’t like the Doctor Who premiere. I feel like a really bad geek for saying it but its true. I wanted to like it. I really did, but I just didn’t. The story just did not jive for me, especially Amy & Rory’s part, it felt ridiculously out of character for them. (Well not Rory’s actions at the end, but all the rest. By this point it should have been firmly established that they love each other and will do anything for each other. Trying to put their relationship at risk again is just getting tedious. It’s been done, i.e. Amy running off with the Doctor on their wedding night, Rory spending the entire season 6 premiere thinking Amy’s in love with the Doctor, etc., can we please have a new plot now? )

• Rebecca says:

Thank you. I totally didn’t buy the Amy/Rory “fight” thing – completely out of character for BOTH of them, and that made it distracting throughout the entire episode!

• JP says:

I loved the premiere for all its Dalek-y & Oswin goodness, but if I’m super-honest, I did not love the messing with Amy & Rory’s relationship. Rory’s “I waited 2000 years for you” is startting to sound like this show’s “We were on a break.” They’re AMY & RORY (said like Eleven would say “You’re Vincent VAN GOGH!”), & like a fixed point in time, they shouldn’t be messed with like this.

10. CJ says:

I have been wondering all night how they are going to work Jenna-Louise Coleman in as the companion later on, especially if she is playing the same character. While I’m probably wrong, the only thing that makes sense to me is that maybe he finds her before the events of this episode, and then struggles to decide between saving her, and allowing the Daleks memories of him to be erased.

• Yeah, but if he saves her, then she never crash lands and helps the Doctor and crew escape the Asylum. It’d be a paradox. What if her crash-landing on the planet and eventual death/conversion is a fixed point in time? An even bigger paradox.

11. Ellie says:

I don’t think Oswin is going to be the new companion. If The Doctor found her earlier in her time-stream, not only would she know him, but she HAS to on the Asylum to allow for his, Amy, and Rory’s escape. Plus they’ve already done the alternate time stream storyline.

My money is that The Doctor finds Oswin’s identical ancestor from current times, Clara, (remember, Oswin is from our future) and take her on has his companion. Clara will then pass on her sense of adventure, and stories of her mad Chin boy on to her decedents.

12. jake says:

I loved this episode so much. I thought the creation of “humanized Daleks” was a great invention by S.M. and I can honestly say that for the first time since my first encounter with the Dalek in the first (eccleston) season, I was genuinely frightened by them.

Also I loved Oswin and I’m really interested to see how she comes into play as the new companion.

13. cf says:

Has anyone realized that the Doctor never actually saw what Oswin looked like? We saw her as she saw herself, but he only actually saw the Dalek she’d been turned into.

14. Brian Real says:

I loved the episode. I think the new companion may be the same character. She even broke the 4th wall in her last scene. Since she now knows she is in a dalek shell and the planet shield was down, she could pull an emergency temporal shift. Being a genius, she could figure out a way to use a flesh avatar to get a human body back and still meet the Doctor in Victorian London. This is just my initial theory and I could be wrong.

• Manie says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that if it’s Oswin becoming Clara, she will have used the Dalek emergency temporal shift. I don’t believe in the theory of the Doctor finding her back in time, that would be pulling a River Song twice and they would never use such a strong plotline again, it would kinda diminish the beauty of River Song’s tragic fate.

• Nessie says:

Also, from the moment the doctor left her to run back to the ponds, the shield was down. There’s enough time for him (later in his timeline) to come back with the Tardis and get her just before the explosion, without crossing his own timeline. Then cue sciency stuff to give her her proper form.

15. merdek says:

same thing happened with martha, her first appearance was in doctor who “torchwood” episodes, later she became companion and her new character had nothing to do with previous cameo.

• @PortmanReview says:

Actually Freema Agyman’s Martha and the character she played in the Torchwood episode were confirmed as Cousins (Martha confirme it in one of her first appearances)…

16. Hojana says:

So apparently Oswin has more appearances coming up on the show, a dalek (albeit) human dalek is now going to be a part of the crew?

17. Kevin H. says:

Oh, Moff– you smarty pants! Giving us a little tease of the new companion before she comes on. It’ll definitely allow Amy and Rory’s departure to not hurt so much (I think).

18. tvdiva says:

I really enjoyed this premiere episode. Only four more with The Ponds which is heartbreaking. But the new companion appears to be up for the challenge. So starting Christmas, we start anew.

19. They have pulled the bait & switch before though, with Freema Agyeman. She previously showed up at Canary Wharf as “Adeola” in the second-to-last episode of David Tennant’s Rose season, and was promptly assimilated by the Cybermen. Martha even briefly referred to the fact that she had “a cousin” at Canary Wharf, and that was their out for using Freema for both the minor role and the new companion.

• Jon says:

Freema Agyeman is not the only one. Karen Gillan also played a “Soothsayer” in season 4’s “The Fires of Pompeji” before becoming Amy Pond. So in a sense Jenna-Louise Coleman is only continuing a ‘tradition’ of the last few major female companions.

20. Keren says:

I may have missed it, but why would the Doctor would want the Daleks to forget him?

21. Keren says:

“Silence will fall when the question is asked” if the doctor keeps deleting himself from the memories of the villains, wouldn’t this lead to “silence falling”?

22. Keren says:

Also, I hope that they explain why the crack in the universe formed in little Amelia Pond’s room before we lose the Ponds/Williamses

• Alan says:

that was explained in the season 5 finale if i remember correctly, i think it had something to do with getting to the doctor

• asniech says:

Yeah, and why the Tardis blew up in the first place.

• Alan says:

that was explained in the last episode of season 5 as well, i cant remember exactly what was said but it was definitely explained

• Mare says:

I just rewatched season 5 and no, it wasn’t explained yet. The TARDIS exploding. There was something interfering with it that caused it to go out of control, but the Doctor hadn’t figured it out by then. All he had done was stop it from destroying the universe. It all ties into the Silence, which is still a mystery to be solved. So it’s still to come.

• TigerNightmare says:

The Silence was just the big space axis alliance that teamed up to kill the Doctor with the Pandorica. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Silence

“Despite everything being repaired, the Doctor remained clueless as to what was responsible for the destruction of the TARDIS in the first place.” From the episode ‘The Big Bang’ as written about on http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Field

So, it’s true they never really explained it, but I’m not sure it’s something they should bother revisiting.

23. Maggie says:

I’m going to have to agreed with those who were disappointed with this premier. This show was too Hollywood for me; there was very little or no British humour edge to this. It was too cliche and only held my interest in the last 15 min of the show. Oswin is just too cutesy and couldnt hold a light to River. I miss the days of Russell T Davies script writing. The show had much more suspense and razor edge wit.

24. if he stops her from going to the dalek planet then he will never have been erased from their database and the daleks will remember him again.

25. Desariella says:

I loved it. Can’t wait to see how Oswin Oswald is connected to Clara Oswin. (PS: Please check out my DW Fan-Fic. Click on my name link)

26. rowan77 says:

I loved the performances all actor gave but had a big problem with how easy Oswin made the trip through the Asylum for everyone. There was no real jeopardy because she just hacked into everything with complete ease. It would have been much better for her to struggle at first, then get better at it. It would have raised the stakes tremendously. So I gave this a B-. The plotting was too linear. I did love the Rory/Amy subplot – although she talked about how they can never have ANY children. Did I miss something? Did they forget all about their daughter River?

27. AT says:

To be completely honest, I wasn’t really a fan of the episode. There were some great things about it, but I felt the episode lacked any real coherency or consistency. ONE, how and why is Skaro back? It was destroyed by the seventh Doctor. Then look at past episodes like “Dalek” and try to make sense of this episode. Even the Doctor’s reactions to the Daleks seemed out of character. TWO, the Ponds. Could they have been given a more contrived plot/characterization? The characterization in the episode was terrible not to mention cheap. I did not feel the emotion because the setup wasn’t believable especially with everything they’ve been through. THREE: Repetitiveness. Honestly the human like Daleks reminded me too much of gas-masked characters in The Empty Child/Doctor Dances. Also, the Oswin reveal reminded me a lot of Moffat’s reveal of the little girl in the library episodes. Not to mention the Oswin character herself. Her dialogue could have easily been given to River Song and it would have still been believable. IE: A genius girl who’s witty and flirty and can outdo the Doctor. I liked her as an actress, but still. Kind of yawn. Also, if she does turn out to be the companion (as in the same actress is playing the same character) then won’t it just feel like a River Song rehash? Meaning he meets her when she dies, so now he’ll meet her before she does? I really hope not. That all said, I really think the worst of this episode was what he did with Skaro, the Doctor and all the Daleks. It just didn’t make sense from a consistent perspective. I really think the Doctor should have acted surprised about all the Daleks living on Skaro!!! And wouldn’t the Doctor be at least upset that they get to survive and live again on their home planet, but his people can’t? This all goes back to the Time War. And what we’ve been given previously to this episode doesn’t match up with what is presented in this episode. But hey, the acting and production values were great.

• Alan says:

as to the skaro thing all that needs to be said is: wibbly wobbly timey wimey, something happened off screen. there have been 3 different episodes which featured the earth blowing up and all of them contradict each other. also skaro is clearly uninhabited anymore, the place was just a wasteland.
      the dalek puppets are supposed to remind you of the gas mask zombies because its the same technology that’s doing it and guess who wrote that story, yep it was moffat.
      as to the oswin thing i highly doubt he would do the same thing with her because he is a competent writer who would realise that would be a bad move.
      as to the pond’s temporary break up yes it was a bit sudden but the online series pond life helped it a little, still got wrapped up to easily

• AT says:

All that needs to explain Skaro is wibbley wobbley timey wimey that happened off screen? Really? Um that’s not really a good explanation for me. Well I guess I’ll just be waiting for Gallifrey to reappear then because it’s wibbley wobbley timey wimey offscreen stuff. No reaction from the Doctor will be necessary. And yes, I’m aware Moffat wrote The Empty Child/Doctor Dances as well as this episode and that the tech is similar BUT it did feel repetitive. That’s my point. But yes we agree about the Ponds to a degree: it did get wrapped up too easily. Frankly it should have never happened because it felt contrived. That all said, I just didn’t like this episode. And I hope Oswin isn’t a River Song repeat. Say what you want, but Moffat HAS repeated story lines before: IE: The girl who waits is one of his faves. See Girl in the Fireplace, the many Amy episodes as well as A good Man goes to war with that other girl who waited. So I personally wouldn’t be surprised if Oswin (who already talks like River) has a similar story, though different enough to perhaps trick some. Just my opinion.

• Desariella says:

SKARO

One account states that “The Daleks decided to terraform the planet Antalin to resemble Skaro as a decoy and manipulated Davros and the Doctor into ensuring that Antalin was destroyed in place of the original Skaro. However, Skaro was later devastated during the Last Great Time War.”

This would tend to hold true since in the TV MOVIE the 7th Doctor went to Skaro to get the Master’s remains from the Daleks.

28. Sara says:

I am pretty excited for the new companion, but Oswin reminded me way too much of the Doctor Donna. While I kind of loved it, it also really made me miss Donna. I can’t wait to see how this plot brings us to the new companion. I will miss the Ponds, but I am ready to move on to the next companion.
    Though, I must admit, I feel like Moffat isn’t as good at the long story as RTD was. I feel like he forgets certain things and tries to rewrite them and then uses the “timey-wimey” excuse for the jump in consistency. Which is incrediblely frustrating.

• Blair says:

For the most part I agree, but RTD’s stories usually included deus ex machina endings and alot of stupidity. (Farting aliens anyone?)

So sadly, it’s a case of which is worse? :/

• Sara says:

Oh, I would definitely say that Moffat is better at the individual episode (which I love!), but RTD had a clear vision of where each series was going (I mean, even the farting aliens led us somewhere), and even how it would lead into the next. It was always exciting once you hit the series finale to then go back and rewatch and see the tiny details hinting and leading you to it. I feel like sometimes Moffat forgets where he is going and then quickly throws some stuff together to catch up. I just wish there was a balace between the two of them.

• Mare says:

Really? I LOVED Moffatt’s plotting for season 5 and season 6!! When I got to the end of the season, I literally had to go back and rewatch every episode again because everything was so tied together. How can you forget that moment in the Weeping Angels/River/Monsatary two parter, when the Doctor comes back and comforts Amy in the middle of the woods, and it’s revealed in the season finale that it was a future Doctor in that scene, and not the present Doctor? That was awesome! At the end of the finales for seasons 5 and 6, I felt satisfied and happy with the season as a whole, which never really happened with Davies’ seasons. There was always something that disappointed me and left me feeling unsatisfied – vaguely or otherwise – with his seasons as a whole. Hasn’t happened with Moffatt’s seasons. Love them!

• Sara says:

I would say that the example you gave of the Doctor coming back in the Weeping Angels episode is exactly what I was talking about in that Moffat quickly threw something together to do some explaining. I have gone back and rewatched and didn’t really think it was that tied together (no matter how hard I try to see clues), not like RTD’s series’. But hey, that’s just my opinion and you have your opinion and that’s all good. I am not saying that I didn’t love the series 5 finale, it was awesome, same with series 6, but I don’t think they had the same “A-Ha!” moments that came in RTD’s (no Bad Wolfs, Torchwood, the bees disappearing/something on your back, etc.) Again, just a difference of opinions here, nothing wrong with that.

• Amber says:

I completely agree with you Sara!

• AT says:

I feel I have to respond to this. Do you even know what deus ex machina is? It seems to have become some kind of fad expression thrown around fandoms when the majority clearly don’t even know what it means. Even Moffat has pointed that out. For example I’ve heard many people call Parting of the Ways or Journey’s End Deus ex machina. Let’s look at POTW and Bad Wolf. Did the Bad Wolf ending come out of nowhere? Absolutely not. Deus ex machina refers to an intervention that solves an unsolvable problem that seems to come out of left field. It goes against the internal logic of the story and is a plot device. Bad Wolf DID follow the rules that were created by RTD. For instance, Bad Wolf is a clue cleverly plotted throughout the whole season. Bad Wolf wasn’t invented from air. Bad Wolf was following them everywhere. But why? That was the question. Then it was answered logically according to the world created (not real life of course).

Then there is the Tardis. How did Rose KNOW how to look into the Tardis. Well, it was set up in Boom Town. RTD used his own rules to show Rose HOW to look into the soul of the Tardis. It was all planned fantastically through good and consistent foreshadowing (without being overbearing). SO Rose coming in to save the Doctor after finally figuring out what Bad Wolf meant, looking into the Tardis and becoming Bad Wolf to spread these messages throughout time, made sense. Nothing could be further from a deus ex machina ending.

Was it still convenient? I ‘suppose.’ But aren’t most endings? Everything has to come together to make sense otherwise you just have a bunch of holes in your writing. I think people over think deus ex machina. Can it occasionally come in and make an ending absurd? Yes. But sometimes deus ex machina endings work because it is just meant to be fun. Even Shakespeare used it at times. And then there is Tolkien’s coin of the phrase, Eucatastrophe: “Eucatastrophe” is often confused with deus ex machina, in that they both serve to pull the protagonist out of the proverbial (or sometimes literal) fire. The key difference is that the eucatastrophe fits within the established framework of the story, whereas the deus ex machina, the “God from the machine”, suddenly and inexplicably introduces a character, force, or event that has no pre-existing narrative reference” (Wikipedia for quick reference). Eucatastrophe is certainly what RTD used here.

Now, I want to point out something that I find ironic and hilarious. People complain about deus ex machina which literally translates to God from the machine. Um, hello!!! What show are we all watching? A Time Lord in a machine who appears out of nowhere to save the day!!! LOL. If you want to throw Deus ex machina around, Doctor Who is not the show to do it. That all said, people are still going off about the farting aliens from the beginning of season one? Big deal. I don’t think it was as bad as some people try to say. Harriet Jones was brilliant in those eps. And at least it was consistent. Different people prefer different things. But give me good characterization and consistent writing over timey wimey nonsense any day. Don’t get me wrong though, I do think Moffat is capable of writing great episodes. IE: Blink. I just personally prefer how RTDs carries a show. Certainly his whole run IS NOT just a bunch of farting aliens. It was a very fun, yet emotional ride.

• Sara says:

I love everything that you just wrote here. You put exactly what I was thinking about RTD’s show running ways into a far better written statement than I was able to do. Thank you!

29. Gilda says:

Generally they pull the whole identical cousin/ancestor thing to explain an actor theyve already used being right for a new part, with the exception of the shoutout to John Smiths girlfriend. It seems unlikely that they’d intentionally put themselves in that situation, but you never know.

• Alan says:

considering all those other cases where in separate seasons and definitely were not deliberate i doubt it will be that simple

30. whatallison says:

I think this episode was simply superbly fun. The stakes weren’t particularly high – we know that whichever Pond is dying/leaving isn’t going to happen until the middle of the series. The thing I was most interested in was the fact that we were teased with the Pond’s divorce – something I am NOT okay with. If Rory and Amy can’t make it work, then maybe there’s no such thing as love….

Anyway, the first episode of the series is meant to draw us back in and remind us what fun Doctor Who is. This episode did that phenomenally well. Not to mention the introduction to Jenna-Louise Coleman, whose fulltime character Clara I am extremely excited to meet.

Regarding Clara, my guess is that the Doctor will “happen” to run in to Oswin’s ancestor (I’m thinking Victorian era, as we’ve been shown set photos in Victorian costumes). She’ll impress him, maybe call him “Chin Boy” and he’ll bring her along with him, because he couldn’t save her descendant, who had always dreamt of seeing the stars.

31. Alex says:

More stinking Daleks? Give me a break! As for “Oswin,” annoying character with a horrible name, but I like the actress.

All in all, the episode was P.U.!

• Alan says:

the daleks havent even been a part of stories since season 5. what more do you want? they are the iconic enemies, it would be like batman never going up against the joker ever again

32. Anyone noticed the old Dalek ‘heartbeat’ when Rory is first amongst the Inactive Daleks? Pure moment right there.

33. I was confused at the start as I thought it was some alternate dimension with Rory and Amy broken up. I thought it was a great episode. I felt the dalek’s were quite scary this time round, their voices were different. At one point I though Oswin was Romana – don’t even know why? The twist at the end was brilliant and I totally didn’t expect it. I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed Jenna – Louise as Oswin. As for how she comes into the picture as the new companion, it’s hard for me to decide. She could be from the Victorian period, but personally I don’t believe it. That scenario got just be the same as when the 9th Doctor and Rose visited Charles Dickens. For me, I think the doctor finds her. As someone pointed out on a website, The Doctor never actually say Oswin psychically, so maybe he doesn’t know it is her (or a relative)

34. Jennifer says:

I give it a B. I liked it but it wasn’t what i expected.

35. Mare says:

I thought it was a great episode and I ended up being really surprised about Oswin being a Dalek. Since it was the actress playing the new Companion, it never even occured to me that she would be a Dalek! It fit in really well with everything she was able to do. She might have been a genuis, but if even the Doctor can’t get into the Dalek systems that easily, then that’s a huge clue she wasn’t normal. Regardless, it was pretty heartbreaking seeing her realize at the end that she was a Dalek. She had fought so hard to keep her identity, to save herself, and in the end, the only thing she could do is let herself be blown up. Tragedy. I thought the stuff with Amy/Rory was potentially contrived, but on the other hand, it’s been several years in their timestream since we have seen them, so I handwaved that things had happened that we just hadn’t seen. All in all, I thought it was a great episode! I really enjoyed it, and I can’t wait for more of the season to come!

36. The Doctor will be extremely depressed after the exit of the Ponds and in the Christmas special, he will go back into time and meet Oswin in an earlier time line and get the nanobots from The Doctor Dances to capture her DNA, go to the Asylum of the Daleks, use a transmit to bring Oswin the Dalek into the TARDIS, then introduce those nanobots to her, and lo and behold…she becomes human again! Of course that might be too obvious even for Steve Moffat to write, but since he wrote The Doctor Dances, don’t put it pass him…and it will be worth watching.

37. Oswin song says:

TimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebabyTimebabytimebabytimebabytimebaby

38. 5:37 AM says:

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in
    the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial
    information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

39. Marie says:

I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s articles or reviews daily along with a cup of coffee.

40. I read this article completely regarding the resemblance of latest and previous technologies, it’s awesome article.

41. Hello There. I found your weblog using msn. This is a very
    smartly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return
    to learn more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post.
    I’ll certainly return.