Robin Williams Eyes TV Comeback With New David E. Kelley Comedy

Robin Williams TVMork calling Orson… come in, Orson…. Robin Williams is pondering a return to TV.

The Oscar-winning actor, who starred in the late 1970s/early ’80s sitcom Mork & Mindy, is in talks to team with David E. Kelley (The Practice, Ally McBeal) for a new single-camera comedy, our sister site Deadline reports.

Williams would star in the untitled project as a brilliant advertising executive who works alongside his daughter.

CBS is circling the project, with 20th Century Fox TV set to produce the potential series and Bill D’Elia (Harry’s Law) serving as an executive producer alongside Kelley. If the Eye network bites, it would mark a reunion for the prolific DEK and CBS, where his Picket Fences ran for four years, earning the writer/producer an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series.

Earlier this year, Williams, who has recently guest starred on FX’s Wilfred and Louie and is a big fan of Fringe and Homeland, told TVLine’s Matt Mitovich that he was more than up for a full-time TV gig. “F—in’ A, yeah, I’d do it — if it was fun,” he said.

1. Melinda says:

I think you meant The Practice instead of Private Practice for David E. Kelley. :)
    Sounds exciting nevertheless!

2. CJ says:

If Robin Williams wants a “comeback” (I don’t think he’s gone anywhere), he ought to do an animated film in which he’s the central character. I don’t usually like seeing him “do his thing” by which I mean the stream of consciousness schtick, but when he played the Genie in Aladdin, I laughed through every scene he was in. Adding a visual component made the difference.

• megalion says:

Agreed, but it refers specifically to TV as a starring role. Which off the top of my head, he hasnt been since Mork & Mindy. Read it as “coming back to TV (non guest) starring role in decades”

But he’s definitely no comeback as normally used. IMO at least. A few crappy movies dont diminish his star power for me.

3. Superhero says:

A bit surprising that Williams would do a network show; you’d think if he wanted back on television, he’d do a cable show so it didn’t take up too much of his time. Also interesting to see how determined CBS seems to be at giving single camera comedies a shot; they’ve already picked up a few thus far. Which is good, as far as I’m concerned; multi-camera comedies need to die already.

• megalion says:

Afaik, the appeal of a tv gig, is (usually) the steady routine of acting but on a regular schedule that is hopefully not schedule demanding.

I remember the MNIE cast saying that one camera meant more of hectic longer hours schedule.

I’m excited at the teamup, Robin’s dud movie choices never bothered me except not wanting to add to rewatchable collection. DEK has a high success rating with me too. With DEK at the helm, Robin will definitely be able to capitivate & shine.

4. Mark says:

David E Kelly is one of the funniest writers on TV. Boston Legal was comedy gold. It’s a shame that this show is going to be on CBS rather than ABC. Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to it.

5. darcywilson says:

David E. Kelley AND Robin Williams? Did I die and go to heaven today?

6. denny says:

He’s going back to 20th Century Fox? Wow, Warner Bros. really didn’t get much from signing David E. Kelley, did they? He moved from Fox to WB a few years ago and his shows there didn’t have much success, with Harry’s Law standing as the most successful.

7. Can you imagine if NBC swooped in and stole this for themselves. Next season, their first Post-Office season could see Matthew Perry, Michael J. Fox and Robin Williams all in a single block. If they can’t draw viewers with names like that, it’s time to close shop, and/or merge with the CW network… NBCW.

8. Danielle H says:

F*** yes!

9. megalion says:

I guess I dont get all the network hate. I get mad at Fox the most for being the most frequently dropper of freshman shows i love (Firefly being a prime case) but they still take on shows that I enjoy.

If one’s in a slump, for me I trust they’ll regain their feet soon.

It’s just entertainment folks, why get passionately riled up about a network? You either watch or dont.