Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Mad Men, Homeland, Lying Game and More!

Is Grey’s Anatomy‘s Derek facing a career crisis? Who’s confirmed to resurface on NCIS this fall? Will Homeland‘s Brody be forced back into terrorist mode? Is the doctor out, on Castle? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from hot shows.

Grey’s Anatomy | One person we know not to be dying from injuries suffered in the season-finale plane crash is Derek, though the way he mangled his surgical hand while tugging at wreckage will have significant repercussions. “How do you remain effective and relevant when perhaps you may never operate again?” show creator Shonda Rhimes asks. “Or if you are going to operate again, perhaps you want to be the same kind of surgeon you were again with the same skill” – which is a tall order given the extent of Dr. Shepard’s injury. (Then again, he could always become an M.E. for the city of Philadelphia. What?)

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Season 9 to Feature a Wedding — But Whose?

Homeland | Remember how Brody saved face (if not his very bacon) by suggesting to Abu Nazir that, in the wake of him failing to explode his vest, their cause might be even better served by what the U.S. war hero could do as a politician? Well, though Nazir signed off on that Plan B, don’t be surprised if he gets itchy to reneg when Season 2 gets underway Sept. 30. “Brody and Nazir made this sort of pact, that Brody would actually not be involved in any overt terrorist acts,” reminds exec producer Alex Gansa. “That’s been a sort of détente between them, but where the season opens, it begins to break down.” And that, let’s face it, serves viewers better as well, seeing as one can only drum up so much dramatic tension from deliberations and discussions of international policy. EP Howard Gordon concurs, adding, “That’s exactly what the first episode brings into relief, that Brody’s pitch to Abu Nazir may not have been enough.”

RELATED | NCIS Family Reunion Scoop: Tony’s Father, Abby’s Brother Poised to Return

NCIS | When we ran into Diane Neal earlier this summer, she shared that she was poised for another encore as CGIS Special Agent Abigail Borin. And while the deal wasn’t yet locked at that time, I can now report that Neal will return, in an October episode of TV’s most watched drama series. “Having Diane Neal’s character back is like welcoming home family,” says show boss Gary Glasberg. “The Coast Guard and the Navy are forever linked and Diane represents a relationship that’s very important to us. Her episodes are always fun and packed with humor and action. Season 10 (premiering Sept. 25) will be no exception.”

PHOTOS | Castle First Look: Check Out the (Hot!) New Season 5 Cast Pics

Castle | Dipping into the reader mailbag (it’s a nylon drawstring this week), Jennifer asks, “Is Michael Dorn going to be making any appearances this season on Castle? Even if it’s just a few times, I’ll take it! Oh and thanks for such an easy-to-navigate site. Far and away the best one out there.” (I left that last part in there simply to be shameless. And ’cause it’s true.) When I visited the set last month, Stana Katic suspected that Kate would at some point want to share with her shrink the latest developments, yet series creator Andrew Marlowe said they had not yet written Dr. Burke into an episode. “But it’s something that we’re talking about,” he added. “We loved having Michael as part of the cast.”

RELATED | Lying Game Season 2: Charisma Carpenter’s Mystery Mom Is Out for ‘Revenge’ — But Why?

The Lying Game | While speaking with Charisma Carpenter about her new gig for Investigation Discovery, I ran by her what TLG castmate Andy Buckley recently told me, that Rebecca will be pulling many strings during Season 2. “She is a puppet master,” she responded (with a certain amount of pride). “She’s got her fingers in everybody’s lives.” Carpenter said that when the show returns this winter, with only 10 days having passed on screen, viewers will see how Sutton came to learn of her true birth mother as well as why the two women are keeping the news under wraps (“It’s for Emma’s protection…. The less people who know, the better”). As for Rebecca’s nascent marriage to Alec (Adrian Pasdar), Carpenter laughed, “Well, he’s in jail [for Derek's murder], so it’s not going that well! But he’s a very smart man, so I’m not worried about him. But [as Rebecca] I’m worried for myself, so I’d rather keep him in jail!”

Mad Men | Although it’s double-secret official that Elisabeth Moss will be back for Season 6, Christina Hendricks doubts that Peggy and Joan will cross paths much, if ever — even for a trip down memory lane over drinks. “I don’t know that those two will ever do that. I don’t think they’re friends,” Hendricks opines. “[Series creator] Matt [Weiner] made a distinction about that very, very early on, saying, ‘These two women will never be friends.’” But what about the good times they shared during Sterling Cooper’s early heyday…? “I think there’s a mutual respect and undestanding between them,” Hendricks allows, “but they are just so entirely different that it would be a very awkward dinner – one with a lot of pauses!”

RELATED | Mad Men Creator Names the No. 1 Threat to Show 5-Peating at the Emmys

Unforgettable | Lastly, Feerie tweeted me, “Any news on Kevin Rankin coming back for the second season of Unforgettable?” Though series lead Poppy Montgomery seemed to think we might not have seen the last of Detective Saunders when I chatted her up at TCA, a show rep confirms that Montgomery, Dylan Walsh and Jane Curtin are still the only ones signed on as regulars for the summer 2013 run. (In fact, Michael Gaston has already lined up a new gig, as Autumn Reeser’s D.C. power-player pop on ABC’s Last Resort.)

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Meg Masters and Vlada Gelman)

1. Anon says:

I can’t wait for The Lying Game to come back!!

2. Nancy says:

Yeah you got it Matt. Send Derek Shepherd to BOP in Philly for one episode and watch the ratings spike. They could be old students together (like Hahn and Burke) and get chatty together about the agony of not operating.

3. Saint Alicia says:

Thanks for the Homeland scoop, and I certainly hope Brody get his hands dirty so Carrie can be vindicated and then maybe put a bullet between his eyes.
    Even though Joan and Peggy will never be friends I hope that doesn’t preclude them from even sharing the screen! Joan’s a partner now and I’m still hoping Peggy will return to (the soon to be renamed?) SCDP, so they could at least cross paths.

• Angel says:

NO WAY, I love Brody (and Damian) and I do want Carrie to found out the truth but I don’t want brody to die, NO WAY…. Nazir need to die

• Saint Alicia says:

That’s the thing, I actually like Carrie and Brody together but still hate him so much. He cost her her job, reputation, sanity and then has the nerve to visit her in the hospital (season 2 promo).
        So conflicted… they could hook up again, and Carrie has to be redeemed, but after that the traitorous liar should die. Hell, he could even successfully detonate his vest this time and it’d be win-win.

• Prudence says:

And where was Carrie in all this? A puppet on a sting under Brody’s control? I don’t think so. But she’s a woman so she gets a pass. We women are never responsible for our actions…. (snark)

• Saint Alicia says:

Um, what… don’t know where you’re coming from but you can get off your misguided soapbox.
            Brody is a traitor. Fact. He is in cahoots with Nazir and formerly that other marine (the one he shot) and is planning to betray his country (was attempting to before as well). Carrie is doing her job (albeit quite zealously), she’s out to prove he’s committed/committing treason/terrorism; what pass is there to give?
            Obviously “bad guys” do bad stuff and that’s what makes them detestable. So it’s no surprise Brody behaves duplicitously and is trying to make Carrie think she’s insane (even though she is absolutely CORRECT). He’s doing exactly what “bad guys” do and I can detest him for that.
            Shame about your self-loathing issue.

• Alichat says:

I believe Prudence’s point…and it is a good point….is that Carrie is as much to blame for her situation as Brody. She knows of her medical condition and doesn’t manage it. She doesn’t take care of herself, so therefore she has manic episodes. She pursued Brody….she got involved with Brody and fell in love with him. While she’s right that he is the American soldier who has been turned, and he did set in motion her dismissal, she’s just as responsible, probably more, for her situation.

• Michael says:

Carrie lost her job because she is unhinged. She either operates in the grey area of what is proper and good or she just crosses the line completely. Brody is many things and has done many things but he didn’t cost her her job.

• Michael says:

If Brody is found out, he will die. Treason is treason in the eyes of the government.

• Angel says:

And I agree he did, but he did for good reasons in my opinion, if he pay for what he did then the vice president needs to pay for what he did too, he KILLED all these poor little kids and Issa with ZERO reasons, if someone need to die THAT’S HIM not Brody (In my opinion)
          Plus I love Damian Lewis I can imagine the show without him, Claire and Damian are the soul of this show and without one of them this show will be lame and I’ll probably stop watching the show if one of them go…. that’s for sure.

4. Why never news from Hawaii 5-0?? I want some spoiler about McDanno carguments!

5. Shugs says:

Does anyone know when the second season of The Lying Game starts?

6. Lori says:

Unforgettable would be much more watchable if they found a better partner than Dylan Walsh. It’s rare to see such a lack of chemistry.

7. itsmemartu says:

I wish they would write Dr Burke for good! After all she has Castle now to confide to, right?

8. Renee says:

Kevin Rankin was the only reason I checked out Unforgettable in the first place.

• Kvivik says:

Roe and Carrie were starting to have a good friendship. He’d even stopped looking at her like she was a freak when she would pull up info out of midair. (unlike Mike…and sometimes Al)
      I’ll be very sad if he’s not in season 2.

• XK says:

He was not the reason I checked it out, but he ended up being my favorite character. Would much rather they ditch Walsh, as I just don’t buy the relationship between he and Carrie at all.

• beckstle says:

Just an FYI: using your boyfriend as a therapist is a darn good way to destroy a relationship. Having an independent 3rd party is always better – especially when you have a complex history like Kate’s. Sometimes you need to talk to the therapist to find a way to face an issue so that you can THEN go talk to your boyfriend about it. Hopefully Dr. Burke will be sticking around.

9. Jennifer says:

If Autumn is on this other show will she still be showing up on Hawaii 5-0? Love her and Danny together. If he can’t be with Claire, Autumn’s character is a good pick.

10. Cant wait for The Lying Games season 2, I love The Pretty Little Liars & The Lying Games line up in the winters.

11. Mari says:

I loved all of the scenes between Beckett and her therapist. Hope he’s gonna come back later in the season.

12. Amber says:

Can wait for The Lying Game!

13. Kat says:

So glad Diane Neal will be visiting NCIS again this season. I love it when she shows up. Her intermingling with Team Gibbs works so perfectly. Hope her stop over in October is just the first one for season 10

14. Sam says:

So excited for the Lying Game to return! It’s been way too long. And, I’m glad there’s actually some news about it. :)

15. arial2 says:

So glad Diane Neal will be back on NCIS! I love the way she portrays the “other Abby” – tough to the point of being funny, yet rather realistic. And her character and Gibbs play off each other so well. I love seeing them together, even if it’s just as friends

16. Matt do you know when ABC Family will release a promo for season 2 of The Lying Game?

17. Shaun says:

That Derek plot sounds alot like what Burke went through…..

18. N. says:

Thanks for the great scoopage, as always, Matt! I’d love to see Dorn back on “Castle” and it would be cool to see Frakes in front of the camera this season too. And I’d really love to see Slaughter come back. The episode with him last season was one of the best and most memorable of the season. Also, thanks for the “Mad Men” news, even though, I agree with Hendricks, it’d be an awkward dinner. Thanks also for the “NCIS” spoilers. Really like Borin, so I’m glad she’ll be back. And I saw the teaser for season ten on ET. It looks freakin’ awesome, with Ducky, Tony and Ziva in the elevator talking about the earth moving-yowza! Between the great chemistry that Cote and Michael have together and the dialogue and the setup, it promises to be really fantastic. And, last but not least, Gibbs talking about his “family” being harmed– Looks very much like Gary did a smashing job on the premiere. :)

19. Jared says:

So excited to hear some news about The Lying Game..patiently waiting for season 2!.

20. jj says:

need roe back in unforgettable the chemistry between carrie and him was awesome some great comic relief

21. Any chance someone might attempt to shoot JR on Dallas ? Made a good plot last time and I know I would like to see him shot again!

22. Merder/Dempeo says:

are we gonna see desperate derek or his black side??

23. Merder/Dempeo says:

is derek’s injury gonna affect merder at any way? & if it gonna affect in a positive way or a negative one? (( hope in positive way))