Charlie Sheen's Anger Management Receives 90-Episode Renewal, Martin Sheen Joins Cast

When Charlie Sheen was rambling on about “winning” last year, did anyone think he’d actually make it happen so soon?

FX has picked up 90 additional episodes of Sheen’s new sitcom, Anger Management, TVLine has learned. The order far surpasses the one-season/10-to 15-episode renewal that has become the cable standard.

As previously reported, with the renewal comes the addition of Martin Sheen as a series regular, playing dad to his real-life son.

RELATED | FX Boss Talks American Horror Story Season 2 and Getting Into Bed With Charlie Sheen

Even before the series debuted, FX offered Anger quite the incentive: If the 10-episode freshman season hit certain ratings “thresholds,” it would automatically be rewarded with a super-sized follow-up. As it turned out, Anger Management emerged as the highest-rated new comedy series on cable in 2012, averaging 4.53 million total weekly viewers, with 2.5 million landing in the coveted 18-49 demo.

In the comedy, which last week aired its freshman finale, Sheen stars as a formal professional baseball player whose own rage issues ended his career and led him to become an anger-management specialist offering non-traditional therapies. Shawnee Smith (Saw) plays his ex-wife, and Selma Blair (Kath & Kim) plays his therapist/possible love interest.

Production on new episodes starts Sept. 24, with an eye on a January 2013 return.

1. heather_kaye says:

I’m sorry…what?!

2. Darren says:

Is this a joke?….. This is by far the worst show I have ever seen… and they canceled Terriers but renew this SH*T SHOW. WOW

• Kam says:

My EXACT thoughts! I am still ticked at Terriers being canceled!

• Thatguy says:

Almost more people watched the premier of Anger Management then tuned in for the entire run of Terriers and your shocked? It’s not without it’s faults (for the love of god get rid of the Paris Hilton’esque character!) but it’s pretty funny. Deserving of a 90 ep run? that remains to be seen, but it defiantly warranted a pick up.

• Darren says:

People watched the premier because they wanted to see how he would do after being drugged out for a good 2 years straight. He has aged about 10-15 years in the last 2 . And I am not shocked that Terriers got canceled, just shocked that more people didn’t watch that show. One of my top 10 shows in the last 10 years.

• gsusangs says:

WTF is Terriers? LOL

• Jim says:

You just don’t know good programming when you c it, Charlie keep on winning

3. TigerNightmare says:

Really?

4. Nick says:

Terrible show.

5. El S Boy says:

WINNING !!!

6. Chris says:

A 90 episode renewal should have gone to It’s Always Sunny.

7. J V Smith says:

I watched it one and a half time and stopped because I never smiled, let alone chuckled or laughed. I’m shocked.

8. Emily says:

I didn’t know it was possible for the TV industry to have that much faith.

9. ggny says:

bad move by FX. The ratings are already not that good(it gets beat by Sullivan & Son). And the show isnt funny(Sullivan & Son is funnier so is the other FX comedys)…Im guessing by the 30th episode the ratings are gonna tank far and FX is gonna be stuck airing 60 more episodes

10. tvaddict says:

Its not perfect but its given me a few laughs on Wednesday nights. I will continue to watch if it doesn’t interfere with other shows

11. Elly says:

Just gives other celebrity whack jobs incentive to have a public “breakdown.” it’s setting a precedent for the future. That renewal is going to bite them in the ass.

12. jill says:

President Bartlet, WHYYYY?

• Mr President says:

For money young lady

• ben says:

Because he feels sorry for his son and wants to make sure he stays straight and doesn’t relapse. I don’t think it’s about the quality of the programme or the money, honestly. It’s about a father who was rightly very distressed by some of his sons choices.

13. WOW! Charlie must be sleeping with the person who made this decision. This is so over the top wrong. I suffered through 15 mins. of the first episode and vowed never again. How can a network make such a commitment, 90 episodes more. With cable seasons running shorter than network TV, doesn’t this add up to like 5-7 years. It’s unimaginable!

14. Julia says:

FX is going to regret this is 4 years when they’re only about 40-50 episodes into this deal and Charlie Sheen starts drinking tiger blood again.

• Bob says:

Do you really think FX would be crazy enough to not have several very LONG paragraphs in the contract detailing all of the “out” clauses in case he starts acting up??? If they didn’t, well, then Stupid is as Stupid does!

15. three words: Martin. Sheen. Ratings.

16. Clay says:

I would rather watch Two and a Half Men than this garbage.

17. Mrs. Peele says:

I don’t watch the show now. I lost all respect for Charlie Sheen after his ridiculous and insane outbreaks. The man is ill and is being treated royally. Sad commentary on how people are viewed. Apparently the more obnoxious, agressive, rude and violent you are, the more ‘people’ adore you.

18. Alan says:

this happened because our society is obcessed with celebrities and especially with their public breakdowns, if our society were more concerned about actual problems in the world like hunger or homelessness then this joke of a show wouldnt have even gotten off the ground

19. Hurley says:

What???? Has something like this ever happened on TV? I mean… 90 episodes!!!! That’s a lot!!!!!!!! And the show isn’t even getting good results anymore(1.98 viewers last Wednesday) and there are a lot of shows on cable that deserve it more than this one……

20. Carly says:

I thought Tvline was trolling when they mentioned this a few weeks ago… Guess not. That’s insane. Congrats to Charlie Sheen.

21. Caro says:

Terriers? Never heard of it. Charlie Sheen winning? To be expected. Love him or hate him I think Sheen is a very talented guy. He’s funny, has great chemistry with everyone and he can deliver a line with perfect timing. Having said that, I think Anger Management is just okay. Sheen needs to be sharper and more of a bad boy – I know he’s trying not to be Charlie Harper but he needs to play to his strengths. And Selma Blair needs to go! Sheen has chemistry with everyone but she isn’t the right fit. With a little tweaking this show will be even better!

• Calvin says:

I don’t think the show is good enough to be renewed for 90 more episodes to be honest. The show is really JUST OKAY. And I totally agree with you – Charlie Sheen needs to be more of a bad boy, it’s the way that he talks and reacts in Two and a Half Men that makes the show so funny. Charlie Harper is the key – FX needs to replicate Charlie Harper on Anger Management – THEN they can be successful with it.

22. JeniLee says:

90 episodes? what if people stop watching? FX will be stuck keeping a show on that is doing crappy. Not smart FX

23. Amy says:

90 seems excessive, but I believe this is one of those shows that will improve season 2. Here’s hoping.

Side note: Charlie is more of a “former” ball player than a “formal” one.

24. wi says:

Good for Sheen. Love the show – though I’d like it to be edgier.

25. Holy … somewhere I predicted that they will get Martin Sheen to continue with the fauxality — his pretend redemption he wants people to see as real.

26. Jessie says:

Martin Sheen’s pretend redemption?! Do you mean Charlie? Because Martin Sheen has been sober for many years now, and he is a deeply religious man. And I agree that supporting his wayward son and keeping him on the straight and narrow is the only reason he’s taking this job.

27. Michael says:

AWESOME SHOW !!!!
    CHARLIE SHEEN IS GREAT !!!
    I ALSO LIKE MARTIN AND THE ENTIRE CAST !!
    GOOD ACTING AND VERY FUNNY !

28. Matt says:

I am sad for Martin Sheen. He’s doing it just as a way to keep an eye on his son.

29. MinoxiBoost says:

YES, Anger Management got picked up for 90 more episodes… now it’s time for FX to pick up “The REALITY of Anger Management” a really awesome new show ;-)

30. Ammo says:

…and Joey still can’t get a season three :(

31. Liz Monroe says:

Love Charlie Sheen. He is naturally talented. Hope Anger Management continues to do well.

32. Locksley says:

Log the show and good for Charlie. 2 and a half men are on their way out as the kid is gettin older. I think next year they are done.

The only thing that scares me is that it’s just been changed from Wednesday night to Monday night. I hope that doesn’t mean it is doing bad. But that CTV changing it anyways.
    Plus the people that don’t have FX are the only ones NOW watching it. Cuz it air during the summer on FX first before these other channels picked it up and started airing it in Sept.
    So come to think about it. When it originally airs on FX it had 4.8 or something like that viewers and then airs the same season on a different channels and get 2 million per week. I call that success.
    So the NEW season will be in FX at least a season to a season and a half before CTV and the other channels air the 2nd season.
    I’ve got FX watch the original aired season and even re-watching it again in CTV.
    Live the show and hope it even goes beyond 90 eps.
    Go Charlie go

33. Rodrigo says:

I like the show. So far so good. Noureen and Daniela are so hot.

34. maw says:

such a great show @@@@ hope he gets on channel 2 , 4 or 7 soon. FUNNY Charlie is terrific as are all the other cast members ….. addinghis dad genius