Exclusive

Exclusive: Stephen Moyer Post Mortems True Blood Finale, Says Sookie Isn't Safe From Evil Bill

Now that True Blood has aired its (quite literally) explosive season finale, Stephen Moyer can speak a whole lot more freely than he could in Part 1 of our two-part Q&A. For instance, not only can he get into the technical challenges of transforming Bill into, shall we say, Billith but also the psychological underpinnings of the scene. Plus, he can share his thoughts on whether Bill is even Bill anymore and if his upcoming reign of terror will mean the end of his on-again/off-again relationship with Sookie (and maybe even the end of Sookie herself?!).

RELATED | True Blood Boss Alan Ball Drops First Season 6 Spoilers!

TVLINE | As billed, the finale featured a lot of blood.
We didn’t skimp on the death. [Laughs] During the table read for the episode, we were all going, “Oh my f—ing God!” It was like every five seconds somebody exploded. And I know what that means to shoot an episode that has that many deaths in it. Every single time you have to replace the body with a bag of blood, which we call a ‘Goo Drop.’ The ‘Good Drop’ is something like 20 to 30 gallons of blood being smashed down on the floor. And they came up with an even better way of doing it where they jettison 15 gallons of blood into the air as 16 gallons of blood falls down onto that blood, so you get this splatter effect that goes out wide. But that takes the best part of two or three hours per hit. So when we all read that episode, we were going, “Okay, three hours, six hours, nine hours… that’s a day, that’s another day.”

TVLINE | How long did it take to shoot the episode?
It was three very intense weeks. We’re very lucky on our show because we get to shoot like 20, 25-day episodes, which I don’t think anybody else on television gets to do

TVLINE | Let’s talk about the final scene — what was the makeup process like?
It’s a long process, but ultimately not something we haven’t done before. Sitting in a chair having your body painted is something I’ve done quite a few times on the show. You spend three or four hours in the chair and then you come out looking like somebody else. One of the most interesting parts of the shot was actually during the transformation before the final moment. There’s a lot of tiny little tubes that you have all over your body and then they pump blood through the tubes, and that’s the cross moment where Bill as we know him [turns] into what he becomes. And that was amazing.

RELATED | True Blood Season Finale Recap: Takes From the Dark Side

TVLINE | What does he become? And is Bill really dead?
I don’t think so. Certainly, when I read it I went through a moment of, “Oh my f—ing God – Jesus!” And certainly a couple of people — Alex [Skarsgard] being one of them — called me going, “Have you read it yet?!” It’s pretty out there… One of the things I wanted to do was show fear in Bill’s eyes. Show that he’s absolutely clear that what he’s doing is the right thing until it starts to happen, and then we see the vulnerability in him of, “F–k, what have I done?” And that was something I hope comes across. We [wanted] to freakin’ terrify the audience.

TVLINE | This obviously sets Bill up to be an even bigger villain next season.
I think you’re right. I haven’t seen anything for next season so I have no idea, but yes. [Laughs] I think it would be safe to assume that what we thought was Bill is no longer Bill.

TVLINE | So it’s within the realm of possibility that he could do to Sookie what he did to Jessica — only worse. How do you feel about that?
If that’s dramatically compelling and fun and great to watch, then so be it. That’s awesome.

TVLINE | With that cliffhanger, Alan Ball is setting up a killer Season 6 for you — but now he’s leaving the show. Any concern there?
We had some inkling [he was planning to leave] around Season 4. We weren’t even sure he was going to do Season 5, so we were very excited to have him for another season. But we did know this was coming. He’s just extraordinary. He’s this wonderful, complex, funny puppet master; we all adore him. Do we want to see him go? No way. But Mark Hudis, who is taking over, is an excellent writer. He came in during Season 4. He understands the characters, he has great wit. I had the great pleasure of directing his episode this season — Episode 8 — so I worked very closely with him. He has a fantastic take on what our show is. And Alan would’ve never given his baby over to someone he didn’t trust.

1. tvdiva says:

Very interesting to read this interview vs.what Alan Ball says about season 6. Obviously there is hope that Bill can be saved from himself, but does he want to be saved? I am really looking forward to Warlo next season. And I really miss Russell.

2. MM says:

Michael you didn’t ask him about why we got to see a full frontal Lilith so many times but not a full frontal Bill in the last scene???

• faebot says:

maybe the actor wasn’t comfortable with the element of full frontal nudity, I know that all the actors on the show are pretty forthcoming with the nude scenes however maybe they feel there is a limit? i’m sure if lilith was a male they would have found a male actor comfortable playing that role. stephen moyer may have just asked not to, they have to respect his wishes.

3. Eric says:

Exactly!!! We better see full frontal Bill!!! We saw Lillith’s stuff more times than I can count, it’s only fair!!!

4. Jon says:

I agree. Not fair that there was a full frontal Lillith every time she appeared, but no full-frontal Bill. Even if were to wear a prosthetic, that would be acceptable.

5. holly says:

I hope next season they focus more on the main players, Bill Sookie and Eric, Pam and Merlotts crew. Then of course I need to know ho Warlo is

6. Zach says:

Maybe Bill is Warlo…?

7. Amy says:

Bill was a civil war soldier when he was turned, so 1860 or so. That faerie contract was in 1702. So not Bill

8. Whatever says:

Seeing Bill dead as a puddle of blood was one of the best parts of the episode.
    Now he’s back as a God, Ugh.
    Alan Ball did seem to have a bit of man crush on Stephen Moyer / Bill from the beginning. He even made him a God before he left the show.
    I didn’t think Bill could be more obnoxious than he was this season. Looks like I could be wrong.

9. Amber says:

The whole season wasn’t really doing it for me, but these last 2 eps were great!!
    Hope season 6 will rock again.
    Will miss Russel

• teenalee says:

I agree this whole season let me down.I hope season 6 is better or it’s gonna loose a lot of loyal watchers.I hate Bill being mean and like a comment above would love to see the main cast members more,Bill,Sookie,Eric.Alcide,Merlots,etc.To many new people to keep up with,not one episode excited me like all the years before,except the last one,my husband even stopped watching half way through the season.I’m not ready to give up yet,let’s hope things get better next season.

• Ashley says:

Being mean? A bit of an understatement. He’s a psychopath. And a lot of people saw Bill’s eventual fall coming. He was always a weak and manipulative character who betrayed everyone he ever claimed loyalty to. This was the last straw.

The only possible redemption for him will be death.

The finale was Bill’s last chance, hence the title “Save Yourself”. He made his choice.

• Ashleyash says:

I wasn’t.going to say.anything at1st but this was one of the best season’s they have but I am sick and tired of hearing you guys dog this season. This was a well written story line because it all had to with change. And it did focus more on the characters. Sooki wanted to be by herself for a change and not following after some dude and find out more about being a fairy. And on the verge of doing that her and Jason are adout to find out what happened to there parents. Tara (a main character) turned into something she hates most and at the end if the season fell in Lo e with Pam of all people.

10. I think Warlo is Russel’s maker. He has to be an old – very old – vampire because you can’t have a vamp show without the old ones…

11. John Moshier says:

killing russel was a big mistake one of the best charecters on the show

• Nahuel says:

He had to go. It wouldn’t be right for him to stay. He’s the oldest and most powerful so either dead or entrapped. Sin the latter was done already and the character was pretty mucho worn out, I really think it was ok for them to kill him off. Or it would be chasing Sookie and faries and killing everything over and over.

12. Lisa says:

I love this show but this season was a bit….stupid..really…the last two episode were the best and thats about it…although if I was a fairy, I would have 40 children!!!

13. Mike says:

hehe Bilith

14. mark says:

Wasnt this plot done before last year with that ancient witch possessing Marnie?

- Also, this is such a rip off of MIB / LOCKE from Lost.

15. angela says:

all in all i was happy with this season’s TB. i thought it was much better than last season.
    can anyone comment on how far the tv show is from the books?

anyway, looking forward to next season!

• Nicolas says:

The show is now too far from the books to compare them.

• TVAddict77 says:

The show was pretty true to the books up to the end of season 4 (amnesiac Eric was just as funny to read about as to see on screen), though the show got into the fairies a lot earlier than the books do.

Pretty much all of season 5 is a complete departure from the books except for Sweetie killing shifters (though she was a cook at Merlotte’s not a KKK Dragon) and the politics of the Shreveport pack (though the packmaster fight in the books was between Alcide’s dad and a guy named Patrick, not JB). There was nothing of the Vampire Authority/Lillith/Billith in the books. In fact, after book three, there’s very little Bill.

I think at this point they’re still taking some of their inspiration from the books but they’re definitely going their own way on the show.

• RC says:

only season 1 is a bit faithful to the books, and then it went haywire from there. it was eric who staked Long Shadow in the books and there’s a whole plot that sprouted from there involving a vampire named Charles Twinning but you wont see that because on TV it was bill who saved Sookie. as a result, bill had to make jessica (jessica isnt in the books). the whole plot about the maenad is also different, and there was no antonia witch in the books at all. the life of the queen of louisiana, who godric is, Sookie’s fairy granddad, Claudine, even Russel Edgington etc etc it’s all different. and there are villains in the books that haven’t made an appearance yet, like Victor Madden and Felipe De Castro. and Sookie’s weretiger boyfriend Quinn is in the books but not on TV.

but the fact that they’re different works for me. i love Sookie’s humor in the books (she’s the narrator after all), though her fun spirit kind of faded towards the last books in the series. i still look forward to the final and 13th book due next year, and i hope Sookie ends up with…. Sam. i don’t see her being happy with a vampire really. see how different the storylines are? :)

i love the dialogues and the gratuitous sex and violence of the TV version though :) i think the TV writers are wicked. i can’t forget how Eric killed the warlock Roy by literally ripping his heart out of his chest and then calmly sipping blood from one of the torn arteries, like drinking juice from a straw. i loved RE’s dialogue on TV after he killed the newscaster. i loved the whole Bill Compton sad story of the night he was made. there’s so much to love about True Blood, without having to be disappointed at how different it it from the Southern Vampires book series :)

• Shanun says:

Everyone else has great points on the books & the show, but the idea of moving away from the books is quite simply to help them retain a wide audience, to keep both those who’ve read the books & those who only watch the show, interested. I do agree that this season wasn’t the best, but hopefully they redeem themselves in the next season. I like that the series has moved away from the books, I
      Sure I’d have been bored by now if they followed them exactly.

• Angela says:

Up until this season they were pretty spot on. I like that they’re trying to keep it interesting but there was stuff in the books I was really looking forward too and now it looks like they’ve veered so far off track there is no going back.

16. Best season ever, BEST FINALE ever. I’m glad they tied some of the story lines up and didn’t leave too much hanging. I’m fearing for Luna’s mortality for sure but Pam and Tara should be hot and heavy next season.

17. Laurel says:

RIP Russell.
    I’m really going to miss Russell Edgington / Denis O’ Hare.
    He was hilarious and a great actor.

18. Brian says:

LOVED the finale, loved that Eric got his revenge on Russell finally, loved Billith, loved Pam and Tara, just stepped way up, it was really great. Hope next season gets a laser focus on Eric, Bill, Sookie, Pam, Tara and Jason and Jessica, also Layfayette. The core people. Don’t waste time on that multiple birth fairy line, that was the one dumb and useless part of the finale. Will Anna be back? Will her babies be born by when they start shooting? Hope so. I have minor interest in the wolves and shifters but like Sam and Luna.

19. Ryan says:

I think that Alan ball leaving the show is a great thing because quite frankly he has ruined the show i think. Turning the Bill Compton character into what he turned him into is just sad. I think that he left a big mess for the new writer too try and fix

• Ashley says:

Uh, the new writer will continue on Alan’s path. And once again, do not understand how people did not see Bill’s eventual fall and choice coming for a while now. I didn’t know it would happen this way, but I knew it would happen. The writing made that pretty obvious, they’ve been giving clues all along. It’s not the writers’ fault you didn’t see pay attention to the narrative that culminated in this finale.

• JULES says:

See I completely disagree with you. I don’t think it’s fair to say that someone wasn’t paying attention or that it was pretty obvious that Bill would go down this path. It seems like you’re calling us stupid if we didn’t see it coming. Not sure it that was your intention, but that’s how it comes off. I’ve watched every episode and thought Bill turning into THAT bad of a bad guy this season was a little fast. Last year he was willing to die for Sookie and this year he became a religious fanatic at the drop of a hat. I can see that his fall was coming in the season finale, but his overall descent into it seemed pretty fast. Then again I thought Sookie falling for Eric last year came out of nowhere too, so what do I know? I just think sometimes episodes can be interpreted in a different way.

20. Marie says:

They really jumped the shark, man. I hate seeing Bill like this. Don’t like him as an evil entity.
    However, I must say, that last scene with Bill rising out of the blood was freakin’ scary and creepy. The best part was Eric saying, “Sookie…..RUN!” and she ran and he swiftly followed. I think he was as freaked out as she.
    Did I miss a scene, or did Sam, Luna and Emma escape?

21. chloe says:

Disappointed with this season overall. Kept wanting to look forward to episodes like I did years ago. Sad to see Russell go, and sad to see Bill come back.

22. andrea says:

Why people want bill compton back? He was a whiny weak vampire who I want to slap so many times!! billith much more interesting, Stephen moyer killed it this season, he is so much better as a villain, can he be more crazy? I though maryanne was crazy in s2 then we saw russell rip a man spine in tv, I wonder if billith can top that

23. James says:

Bill’s turning evil was extremely out of character. It disappointed the audience– the majority of which, I think, really enjoyed seeing Bill and Eric work together against evil. The past 5 seasons have revolved around Bill and Sookie’s love story, and Bill’s effort to preserve his humanity, and Sookie’s life, at all costs. To unceremoniously make Bill a scion of evil makes no sense. Alan Ball’s bias against organized Christianity was most clear this season, especially in Bill’s quoting from the vampire bible in support of his rejection of Sookie as an abomination. The series is irrevocably ruined unless, and this is a big unless, Bill remains conflicted, the plot line revolves around this conflict, and Bill, ultimately, is redeemed. If Bill becomes a maenad-type evil creature, a Lilith solely bent on evil, then TB will probably lose much of its audience.

• mekie says:

I don’t see why everyone is so hung up on bill. I don’t like sookie with bill. Maybe thats cause of his character from the books, idk. But he was boring, like cry me a river. I like home evil maybe he will be more interesting. I like sookie with Eric or Quinn. At least Eric has depth, he peels like an onion. Quinn was hot in the books which was great. Bills always been a dick, i hope he dies.

• Sarah says:

yes James I like a conflicted Bill clinging to his humanity and hate to see him taken over by the Lilith demon. I don’t see any bias against Christianity. I’m catholic and am used to Catholic iconography being exploited by film makers and why not it is very photogenic. The TB team exploit southern baptist visual themes as part of a rich tapestry to depict an epic strggle between good vs evil, dark vs light, ancient vs modern spiritual themes. Bill had enough residual ligt in him to be taken by Sookie’s blood to the fae. Will Lilith’s blood conquor his humanity completely? I hope not. Give me back my honourable Bill Compton.

24. anyone else think jason was bad ass in this episode. little one man army there! fellowship of the sun taught him well!

25. Lisa says:

I didn’t think season 5 was bad, but I definitely did not like anything about the authority. I wish it hadn’t taken away from the main characters’ stories. I missed seeing Sookie with Bill or Eric. I prefer her with Eric. Like Tara much better as a vampire. Pam is awesome as usual. Don’t like Luna character at all but guess they need something for Sam to do, although it’s boring. I know that I’ll watch over again as we all know, waiting sucks. Looking forward to season 6.

26. Jacque says:

Kill Bill and bring on Quinn. Anyone that ready the books knows he will be the sexy one!

27. Cole says:

I didn’t like the political and anti-religion themes of this season. It seemed as if the producers or writers were trying to force their personal beliefs and views on us during the season. Fairies being an abomination, a hate group killing shifters and vamps while wearing Obama masks, and Depicting the authority as religious fanatics. I feel like this killed the season. I hope season 6 is much better.

• Ashley says:

I agree with a poster above who mentioned that the focus on the Authority was a little too much. I feel like exploring the ins and outs of the Authority greatly detracted from other story lines that could have been better developed. I would have been happy seeing half as much authority-related stuff.
      As for Billith? Not sure. Bill was always one of the more stale characters in my opinion, and was always overshadowed by Eric. I’m excited to see Bill as a villain and to have actual emotions toward his character.
      Not enough Eric this season. He was too much of a secondary character and they should have challenged him more throughout the season instead of just in the final episode.
      That being said, Sookie, Jason, Sam, Luna, Alcide, and Pam all brought it this season. Even Tara, who I normally can’t stand, was tolerable.
      I would have liked to see more Jessica, Lafayette, and ghost Jesus. I feel kind of ripped off that ghost Jesus only appeared as a weird head after we were promised he would still be around in last season’s finale. Steve Newlin was also a standout.
      Glad to be rid of Hoyt and Salome. I was disappointed that Chris Meloni’s role this season was so played up only to be killed off early. I’ll miss Russell too, but it was his time to go.
      Who is Warlow? I’m thinking it has to be a new character, but I think it would be interesting to find out that it is someone we already know.
      Best scene of the finale? Fly-Sam blowing up the red-head from the Authority.

• Sarah says:

Not sure you’re right about personal beliefs Cole. Some people like to gain authority for their words by quoting some “sacred text” – bible, Karl Marx, even Confucius derives authority from the ancient texts of his time. Its quite funny and the TB writers are exploiting this meme.

28. Blueberry Cake says:

I have a theory… I think Warlow is …. Eric… old enough to be around … Is in control enough to not drink a fairy unless had forgotten who he is… And the shape of Warlow’s face in the car.. same long face as Eric… Plus the story of the pact bonding Warlow and Sookie (we do not know what for), plus the killing of the parents so very “Le Cid” from Corneille (I love you but you killed my dad !)…

29. Kirsty says:

Jason was awesome this season especially the last episode. Go Aussies.
    Tara totally suits being a vampire, I hated her while she was human.
    I actually missed the onscreen moments with Sookie and Eric, there wasn’t much since the authority took up most of the season.
    I think they went a bit far with the fairy bits, the birth scene with mirella was so weird.
    I really hope we get to see Quinn, he was great in the books.
    I absolutely love the fact that they added Jessica’s character into true blood, she is so funny.
    Nora’s character was soooo annoying in some bits but the last episode wasn’t so bad so I hope she stays like that for the next season.
    As for the warlow bit…. What the hellll, fairies were supposed to kill sookies parents, not a vampire.. But since when has true blood ever followed the books..?
    Looking forward to seeing nial as well. Hope the include him.

30. Penni says:

Loved Season 5′s finale….Not sure how I feel about “Billith,” gonna have to wait & see how they develop that storyline. When Jason said Warlow’s name & Nora replied, it indicates to me that she knows something about him…..again, we all will have to wait & see. But my prediction is that Warlow may possibly be Queen Sophie Anne’s Maker, since she knew all about Sookie & her fairy blood. He did look similar to Eric when they showed him kill Sookie’s parents on the bridge, but I don’t think its him. I don’t think Bill & Warlow are connected in any way. Love Tara as a vampire & knew Pam would be her Maker all along. Love Jason as a bad-ass, but think he should be w/ Jessica, as he said before, she’s a good friend, good protection. Not happy about only having 10 episodes to look forward to, as I’m thinking next season will be the last. 6 is the devils number, so it would suit TRUEBLOOD to end on that note. Loved Sam as a fly!! Luna is definately going to die in the 1st episode next season, as she has gotten a role on another show. Martha will move away w/ Emma, Alcide will not be a V addict, & Sookie & Eric will wind up together. The only way Bill will be saved is when Sookie stakes him. That’s how Season 6 will end. His humanity is long lost & he will accept the “True Death.” Also not happy about all the hype of Meloni, then killing him off so early. Hated Salome, will miss Russell, but it was his time to go. Love TRUEBLOOD

31. Kaya says:

i use to love the show till it became annoying with everyone in town being abnormal … Shifters, Werewolves, Were-panthers, Fairies .. C’mon, Really?!? .. in the beginning it felt as though there could be SOME truth to the story as far as old tales with Vampires go. Now its just a mess, trying to give everyone on the show something “Special” about them. .. It loses its “Special” when Everyone is of a different species.

32. Will says:

The show has become ludicrous and the political analogies and race-baiting are appallingly amateur and ham-fisted. I know it was never aiming to be in the same league as Mad Men or The Wire, but it has actually sunk below Sex & The City in this season. That scene with Tara and her ‘racist’ ex-schoolmate was the moment the series sunk(The laughable ‘hate group’ theme preceding it was a bad omen of things to come).

33. Asinatumuaz says:

Wow true blood is so great, i lov luna sookei tara jessica bill eric pam sam laffayat. I cnt wait 4 seson 6.

34. Asinatu says:

35. Sarah says:

HINTS In season 2 Sam is told the Maenyd goes by many names “Lilith” being one of them; & Bill is told the Maenyd thinks she is immortal but she is not really a god – a god wannabe who gains a sort ofmmortality through faith. The book had the vampires really scared of the Maenyd because of the chaos she brings. Bill being a young vampire lacks knowldge of the workings of the Maenyd such as held by the late Queen Sophie Ann of Louisiana

36. PissedOFF says:

Thanks asshole. I was doing a search to see when season 5 of True Blood was going to be released on TV and get your spoiler headline in the search results. WTF is wrong with you people?

37. My brother suggested I might like this web site.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my
    day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!