Saturday Night Live Alum Abby Elliott Hits the How I Met Your Mother Lode

Saturday Night Live’s Abby Elliott is ready for primetime.

The actress, who in August announced she was leaving NBC’s sketch comedy institution, has nabbed an arc on CBS’ How I Met Your Mother, EW.com reports.

Elliott will play a nutball named Janeane whose insanity proves irresistible for one member of the HIMYM crew. As you might’ve guessed, things wind up going badly.

RELATED | CBS Sneak Peeks: How I Met Your Mother‘s Groom Problem, Big Bang Theory Date Night

If there are more guest spots in Elliott’s future, may we suggest her playing a quirky relative of New Girl’s Jess, the same way Zooey Deschanel did with sister Emily on Bones? It’d be a real shame to waste all that whole Quirky Girl With Zooey Deschanel thing she nailed on SNL.

RELATEDHow I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Breaking Bad‘s Bob Odenkirk Returns as Barney’s [Spoiler]

HIMYM returns to CBS Monday, Sept. 24 at 8/7c.

1. Did she take career advice from her dad? Short stint on SNL…check. Guest role on HIMYM…check. Now if we can get her in a reboot of Get A Life… :)

I’m not complaining though, I’m a big fan of the Elliott family brand of comedy.

• Rock Golf says:

She’s 3rd generation. Her grandad, Bob Elliott was one half of Bob & Ray, a 50s radio comedy team that are still funny.
      Google “Slow Talkers of America”.

• bhm1304 says:

Chris Elliott is currently the star of his own show on AdultSwim and its hysterical — check out “Eagleheart” if you haven’t seen it.

2. alix says:

The “one member of the gang” has to be Ted. He’s the only one who will be single!

• Sg.Grant says:

I’m thinking that it might be Barney. Something is going to have to happen to break him and Quinn up.

• alix says:

According to the EW report, Abby Elliott will not be appearing on HIMYM until sometime next year. Quinn will be long gone by then. And TVLine has covered that the Quinn break up will likely be spurred by pre-nup negotiations.

3. Rock Golf says:

It might be worht mentioning that Abby’s dad in real life, Chris Elliott, plays Lily’s dad on HIMYM.

• TV Gord says:

Yes, and a little known bit of trivia. She has the distinction of having her birth announced on Late Night with David Letterman! :-)

4. Will says:

I would love to see more of her than “just” a guest spot, especially on one of my favorite sitcoms on the air. Even if she were on Glee I would follow her to Fox if it meant seeing her do her thing every week. But a guest spot here and there is squandering her talents and she deserves more than that.

• Lois says:

Abby looks like she could be Jayma Mays’ sister. So if Glee wants to give Jayma’s character a sister, Abby would be perfect.

5. ollie says:

i didnt know chris was her dad they look nothing alike. maybe barney falls for her .

6. justsomegirl says:

As long as its not Barney, then I will be happy. Its bad enough that I have to sit thru Robin/Nick and Barney/Quinn for the beginning of the season, one more love interest for Barney (who’s not Robin) would just be one too many.

7. Little Scarf Girl says:

Yeah, it’s got to be Ted. I think Quinn was one love interest too many for Barney last season, and we already know he ends up with Robin.

8. justsomegirl says:

Anybody think it could possibly be Marshall? They never said the member of the gang has a relationship with her, just finds her attractive. I think it could be funny watching Marshall struggle with his attraction for this Janeann character, seeing as how he’s so devoted to Lily.