UPDATED True Blood Season 5 Finale Recap: Tales From the Dark Side

True Blood Season 5 Episode 12Those of you who haven’t seen Sunday’s True Blood season finale yet will probably want to heed this big-ass SPOILER ALERT! and revisit this story after you have. And we repeat: If you have not seen the TB finale, hit the nearest exit. The rest of you, here goes…

RELATED | Series Creator Alan Ball Answers Your Finale Burning Questions!

A LIL GOES A LONG WAY | Apparently, those of us who were sure Evil Bill was eventually going to revert to being Good Bill (and maybe even reveal that his turn as Evil Bill had all been part of some master plan to save humankind) were wrong. (Go ahead and say it: Dead wrong.) By the time he’d deceived, shagged, silver-poisoned and staked Salome, not even Sookie could talk him down from the religious high he was on. Frothing at the mouth, he quoted the fangers bible and called his ex “an abomination,” then drank every last drop of Lilith. This killed him instantly, reducing him to a puddle of blood, but he just as instantly rose from that puddle as the new Lilith, beet red and naked as a jaybird. Ruh-roh!

LIGHTS OUT | The episode opened with a pick-up of Russell and Steve’s attack on the fairies. Though Russell was hardly fazed when Sookie and the club kids flashed their glow-stick fingers at him en masse, a stake to the heart courtesy of Eric stopped him in his tracks and sent Steve running. (Dare we hope that the glow Russell emitted before going splat was a hint that he’d absorbed so much fairy light that he’ll henceforth exist in their dimension or… something?)

RELATED | True Blood Season 6 Preview — Is Bill the New Big Bad? What’s Next For Pam and Tara?

DUMB & DUMBER | Remember last episode when Jason went flying into that tree? This week, it became apparent that the blow to his head had brain-damaged him. (Or brain-damaged him further. Jason was never all that big on the thinking to begin with.) Egged on by visions of the late Ma and Pa Stackhouse, he awoke determined to kill as many vamps as possible – which made his and Sookie’s team-up with Eric, Tara and Nora to rescue Jessica, Pam and Bill awkward from the onset. And it only got worse from there…

A THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE & HATE | When Jessica saw that Jason was among the cavalry, she proclaimed her love for him. To which he responded that he could never love a fanger. (Oh, Jason… !) On the other hand, when Tara opened Pam’s cell, they shared a kiss that could’ve set off the Authority’s fire alarms.

TAKING HOLD OF OUR CENSUS | After Rikki nearly OD’d on the V that she was force-fed by JD, Alcide took on the packmaster again – this time doped up himself – and killed him. (Obviously, making JD wear the Cone of Shame for awhile wouldn’t have been punishment enough.) Meanwhile, Luna shifted into Steve to sneak Emma out of Authority HQ but instead was thrown into a TV interview by Barb from Cougar Town. When Luna changed back into herself mid-Q&A, Sam – in fly form – flew into Barb’s mouth, then shifted back into human form, utterly destroying her. (For sure, the season’s wildest demise.) But, just because Sam had saved Luna from Barb didn’t mean that Luna was saved: She then collapsed from the strain of turning into Steve. Finally, Andy had no sooner confessed to Holly that he’d cheated on her with Maurella than his girlfriend was forced to help deliver his mistress’ one, two, three, four babies… which she left with their daddy to raise.

RELATED | Find Out Why Hoyt Was Written Out!

So, what did you think of the season finale — and the season as a whole? Of Evil Bill? Are you looking forward to a maker/progeny romance for Pam and Tara? Into the idea of Jason the Vampire Hunter? Thinking Sookie will gravitate back toward Eric? The comments section below awaits your… you know, comments.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Orlando says:

wtf just happened.

• Amanda says:

My thoughts exactly!

• jenn says:

haha that is exactly what i just said
      wtf! i have so many emotions right now!

• Dark Defender says:

Tonight’s finale made up for all previous seasons. This was the COOLEST hour of TV I have seen in a long time..

• Marie says:

Same here! My actual words at the end of the last scene were, “Holy f–ing s–! What the HELL?”

• The Squatch says:

I feel like this entire season was just about trying to find a way to make Bill as powerful as Eric. They’ve always had a rivalry and now that this Authority stuff is almost over, they will probably go back to it. But before it was just so one-sided because Eric could basically take out Bill in a split second because of his age. I’m sure next season they’ll find a way to get through to Bill, he will become himself again, will probably end up with Sookie again, at least for a little while. Only this time he will probably have the “residual effect” from drinking the blood that he will be as strong as Eric, if not stronger.

2. CS says:

Wow. Um… wow…

• Willa says:

Agreed. I’m still processing who’s alive and who’s dead. But this episode made crystal clear what I’ve been missing all season: Eric and Pam. Eric being Eric, not Eric pretending to be a religious zealot. So as long as next year we get a season with the Viking free from amnesia or cult influences, I’ll be a happy girl. And as long as Tara doesn’t ruin Pam.

• sadie says:

Wow is EXACTLY what I said and was thinking. I couldn’t believe Bill changed as he did. My boyfriend and I are now calling him “Billith” :-D

3. a says:

That was some fantastically crazy stuff.

• Leo says:

Agreed. That’s some serious awesome finale.
      I totally love Sam/Luna storyline, and how awesome is ‘Samlith’ scene?
      And goodbye Russell! Rosalyn! Salome! Tons of Authority guards! Chatty Receptionist! Won’t miss you guys!!!
      And with Luna shifting live, will shifters finally be known to public? Will there be any repercussions?
      Excited for next season!

4. dale grossman says:

I could have done without the extended Sam/Luna stuff, but the Bill stuff was amazing.

5. ashley says:

Predictable AND hot. And why didn’t they show us steven moyer’s junk? Also, why is that my first thought?

• sutherngrl25 says:

Ha ha! That was my first thoughts as he rose from the blood!

• Wrstlgirl says:

They never show the men yet they don’t have a problem with the women. It’s BS.

• Sandra says:

we actually did once see half of a dude’s junk when all the vampires right after Ronan died started feeding they fed on this man taped to the table and u could see his junk y’know.

• Billith says:

Damn straight. No one wants to see that. :P Was an amazing season finale though. Didn’t much care for how easily Russell died but then again I guess that is about the only way of killing him aside from drinking every last drop of lilliths blood and ripping him in half. Jessica needs to force feed Jason some of her blood so that he will stop being so f*cktarded. :3

• jen says:

No shame here, it was mine too!

• Steve says:

I have to admit that in an entirely heterosexual way, that was my first thought, too.

6. aleksa says:

Pam/Tara. Surprising, no. Hot? Yes.

7. Penny says:

WTF? That was terrible!

• Tara L. says:

My thoughts exactly . . . usually the seasons end with some sort of finality and resolution, but yet still leave you wanting more. The Warlo storyline is still open, the Evil Bill storyline is still open, Luna didn’t escape sucessfully with her daughter, Alcide is doped up . . . WTF!

• Jack M says:

That’s why they are called”cliffhanger” endings

• KevyB says:

That’s not even close to true. Last season’s finale left us with Tara’s head blown off, new vampire Steve showing up on Jason’s doorstep, Scott Foley showing up to warn Terry about something AND the discovery of Russell’s escape. The season before, Sookie was “kidnapped” by the faeries, Bill put a hit out on Sophie-Ann, Lafayette was having visions and Tara drove off to parts unknown. The season before that Bill was kidnapped while Sookie was debating his marriage proposal, Jason ran away and Alcide started his quest to find his birth parents. And the first season had Jason joining the anti-vamp group, Sam starting his feud with Maryann, Sam putting together a big stash of cash, Andy finds a dead body in his trunk and Lafayette is the one running away! The seasons NEVER end with finality and resolution. That episode has always been used to set up storylines for next season, including this one. Though this one may be the first that didn’t include somebody running away and hiding from the residents of Bon Temps!

8. A says:

Pam/Tara kiss was predictable and not hot. Can’t believe Bill is the new bad but it works bc we all want Sookie to be with Eric or Alcide.

• Betty says:

Ugh. I don’t think taking your most awesome character, Pam, and pairing her with your most annoying, aggravating character, Tara, is a good thing, at all. However, I hope to see the rest of the Godric-clan for many episodes to come- Eric and his ladies, with the exception of the granddaughter, are hilarious.

• Jimmy says:

No way! Tara has always been one of my favourites. LOVE Rutina! At first I wasn’t thrilled by her turning, but this romance with Pam makes total sense. As with every love interest on this show, it will lead to some major conflicts and/or character transformations. Remember, happy love is boring! Two of the series’ feistiest characters paired up? Let the fireworks begin!!

• Jonathan says:

If you really want to be confused, read all the books..in them Tara is white, and has almost no real role to play.

• Bob says:

Not hot to you but to lots of people who knew that is were the writers were going. I loved it and so do many people.

• Marie says:

Actually, i wanted Sookie back with Bill. I love their romance. BUT, I think Alcide is the better choice in the long run. He’s ALIVE and he’s a HUNK and he’s a honorable and kindly, hard working guy with a business.

9. Darth Pablo says:

Billith?

10. Michele says:

Dumb. Eric shoulda just killed Bill, or hopefully Jason will. He’s beyond saving, he’s totally lost it. And what ever happened with that Warlo storyline? They introduced it like it was going to be a big story, then it wasn’t mentioned again. The Luna storyline, I couldn’t care less about. Pam and Tara, I’m NOT into it. I just like them as pals.

• the four new fairy babies will be a huge part of the Warlo story line. Remember Spookie is losing her light. They must need a half breed for something.

• Dani says:

They are certainly going to be tempting snacks, but I think Sookie having been sold to Warlo (Warlow? sp?) is more important than just any hybrid. Clearly that one chick has pupped 73 times, so there’s not a shortage.

• Montie says:

Go to hbogo.com and sign in with your cable information. There’s an extra scene about that. It’s not forgotten.

• Jace says:

well now eric better hope bill doesn’t kill him haha. With liliths blood bill is probably the most powerful vampire alive in the show.

11. karla says:

wait. where’s warlow?

• shawnette says:

I think that Warlow is going to find away out of hiding to get Sookie. He may be the strongest Vampir .That can kill the new Bill. Or the fairies, wolves, humans, and mediums will all have to team up together to stop him. I can’t wait to see season 6.

12. Courtney says:

I think I quit. That was ridiculous.

• Rob says:

Um, because nothing else on the show was too ridiculous for you in the past? That’s always been the point of the show. I love it to bits, but it’s cuckoonuts. Always has been, and hopefully always will be.

13. deangelo says:

Tara and Pam Predictable though Hot an I swear I really don’t want Luna to die I hope not in OMG bill is just getting on my nerves now like NEXT Storyline PLEASE lolly

14. Mick says:

Wow everything about this was really great. Only thing that seemed not too important was Sam and Luna but besides that everything was awesome. And I guess me being a big wolf guy loved the scene where alcide becomes the alpha.

15. Laurel says:

That was bananas! I can’t wait till next season.

16. tornado says:

Pam & Tara are gross. Bill is stupid. This used to be my favorite guilty pleasure and now it’s too ridiculous to watch any more.

• ohlala says:

you’re too ridiculous to watch anymore. pam and tara are hysterically adorable, and jason is by far more stupid than bill could ever be.

• Bob says:

Two women are gross? What about two men? Or is it an interracial kiss that so grosses your small mind out?

• tornado says:

@ohlala @Bob i have no problem with gay or interracial relationships. Tara and Pam have no chemistry, outside of trading smart-a## comments. if you saw the bonus scene with them in the elevator, their flirting was leaden.

17. Joan says:

I thought TB couldn’t get crazier. I was wrong. Tonight was ridiculous, terrible, dumb… and still, I laughed a lot and loved it. Too bad for every time I laughed/enjoyed the show this season, there was 30 cringe-worthy moments. Jumped the shark, goodbye!
    (And I honestly hope Kristin Bauer gets the F away from that show so she can be somewhere worthy of her awesomeness!)

18. WTactualF says:

Billith? Lame. Should’ve just killed him off… It doesn’t even make sense, like at all.

Tara/Pan- no thanks. Not feeling that one bit. It’s more interesting to see their relationship evolve as more mother daughter.

Nora is still alive? That’s a shocker.

Overall, not great. Peace out Ballsack! Don’t show your face around the set next season.

19. sil says:

Holy crap I straight up started beating up my couch! That was just mean!!

20. aleksa says:

Also, I vote for Andy as the MVP this season. He has great comic timing.

21. Kimster says:

Wow. Sooo, that’s the last time I underestimate a fly, or look at childbirth the same. Haha. Crazy episode. Looks like no more good guy Bill, but I’m ready for Quinn anyways.

22. jomomma says:

That sucked no closure this season like.
    in the past we have always had an ending to the main
    “bad” guys but now its billith. this. sucks. fu
    Bitches u a bat nigga

23. Brad says:

If you would have sticked around after the credits, there was another scene that mentioned Warlo.

24. Fernanda says:

Almost cry when I saw Bill dead, but later when I saw him resurrected him I thought.. WTF
    Bill should die, and Eric and Sookie could spend together the next season. My favorite moment was on Merlotte’s, the fairy babies. I love Pam and Tara together. I hate Jessica fallli’ in love with Jason, Hoyt and her were a great and interesting couple. Next Season the romance must be back on the show, this year was madness, religion and politics, just like our crazy reality. This was the last episode written by Alan Ball, he won’t return as showrunner next season. I hope the quality of the show keeps with sex, blood and rock and roll, but I hope the romance from season 1 and 2 should be back

• Lavender says:

I totally agree, I love hoyt and jessica! I also love bill and sookie and cried when I thought he died. I read online that jim parrack who plays hoyt will not be returning, and that the new writer wants things to mimick the books, so bill will not be in sookies life :(
      If season six isnt any good, im throwing the towel in. you can only corrupt your main characters so much before you lose viewers/fans.
      I did enjoy seeing Jane Boathouse again. She is always hilarious.

25. jen says:

Total bloodbath which was awesome. Im just not sure whats going to happen with Bill. Love everything else. Kiss with Pam and Tara was predictable but good. Loved Lafayette as usual. Liked Andy and the babies. Worried about Luna and Jason. Love Alcide.

26. Christina says:

Where the heck are they going to go with that?

27. Julie058 says:

What happened to the spoiler pics we saw of Jessica and Jason in a grave?

28. jomomm says:

Fck you true blood

29. OMFG is all i can say..i wanted to see who warlowe was but nothing!! little disappointed in that tidbit…also what the HELL was up with Jason seeing his parents?? When what happened to bill happened i starting screaming!! I swear i thought he was dead!! i was just about to throw the remote control at the big screen and start writing emails to Mr Ball when Bill came “back”…whew…it’s gonna get interesting next season…

30. Shelli says:

I think it’s Warlow came out of the pool of blood.

31. Abbey Thomas says:

I’m so upset with the Bill/Lillith thing but i’m glad he staked that Salome! An i’m a Bill/Sookie forever fan so i’m not glad that Eric was there to save her.. again! C’mon Bill, WTF!

• Dani says:

When your ex calls you an abomination, it’s his way of saying he needs his space. I’d stick with the ex that protects you from being eaten. Just sayin’.

• Lavender says:

Im glad im not the only one that still wants them together! Im sure he will come too eventually, if he survives lol

32. Dena says:

I think the point of the Sam/Luna story is the fact Shifters were “outed” on live TV. I hated Evil Bill, but can get behind this new turn. Warlo story is setting up next season I’m sure. Season has been disappointing (needed more LaFayette), but not so much that I wont tune in next season (whenever that will be)

33. kevin says:

did i miss something or did they just ignore the warlo thing? Liked the Alcide and papa relationship. ok episode. The birth scene went on too long because it took up time that could be used for more important story stuff.

34. Yearly says:

Bill Fking Christ!

35. Nic says:

My favorite part is when the Sharon Osbourne vampire died. BEST. DEATH. EVER.

36. Luiz Felipe Matos says:

Who Luna killed? I don’t remember…
    About the finale… ¬¬’ Bizarre xD But I like it. And I didn’t like Tara and Pam, I’d rather a mother/daughter relationship.

37. Now what says:

So how do they kill off billith when he’s already dead

38. Lee says:

Terrible. This show has become so stupid. They should fire every single one of the writers. They suck (pun intended).

39. Alex says:

This season moved really slowly and a lot of time was taken up with pointless scenes, but the finale was pretty good.

I was really sad to see Bill turn to the dark side, but with this new “Billith” (ha), next season should be pretty interesting. Can’t wait to see what that turns into. Same with Warlow. That sneak peek was epic!

I love Lafayette, but his scenes have become more obligatory, and haven’t really contributed anything substantial this season. I hope he has a more important role next year.

I really hope the writers nix the whole Pam/Tara romance. I adore both their characters, but the relationship that developed this whole season seemed way better as a mother/daughter dynamic. It’s way cooler for Pam to be proud of Tara as her progeny than to all of a sudden make them lovers. Besides, Tara is just a baby.

40. Jessica says:

Alan Ball has ruined this series. I hope they fix what they’ve done next season.

41. Lilly says:

This season was just off, saved only by the last few shows. Never liked Bill in the books, and always wondered why, the show was painting him to be this great fanger. Now we’ll get to see the slimy Bill, of the books. And I agree why did Eric whimp out?? He should have staked Bill when he had the chance!!

42. Em says:

I’m a little conflicted about the Tara/Pam storyline. While I’m happy that they are finally giving Pam a love interest, I’m a little disappointed that it is Tara. In the books Pam is with Amelia, and I really liked them together. I feel like they are trying to combine the characters of Tara and Amelia like I think they are doing with Alcide and Quinn. I don’t know, I guess we’ll have to see how their storyline plays out next season. I just don’t want this relationship to make Pam lose her bitchiness! It’s my favorite part about her!

• Greta says:

Which book did Pam and Amelia starting dating? And I agree, I don’t think Tara is the best choice. Pam is going to become less awesome if she starts agreeing with the perpetually whinging Tara when the real Pam would have slapped her across the room.

• Thomas Cox says:

ummm……. you guys do know that is what the maker and daughter do when they reunite right? It is not a love story between Pam and Tara IT IS A MAKER TEACHING HER PRODGENY!!!!!!

• Em says:

No I’m pretty sure they are setting this up to be a romance. Not all maker/progeny relationships have a sexual component, look at Bill and Jessica. In the deleted scene for this episode Tara says something about how Pam owes her a date when this whole thing is over.

• ashley says:

Pam doesn’t date Amelia in the books. Pam does have a romance with a girl who becomes very ill, and Pam wants to turn her, but is not allowed due to characters we haven’t met on the show/will probably never meet on the show.

• Thomas Cox says:

Once again they do not have a love interest with each other they are just reuniting that is all. Damn talk about hating interracial dating. Don’t worry it’s not going to happen morons. She was just happy that she was saved by her. Just like when Eric saw his sister and they you know but they didn’t date.

• Fran says:

Why be ignorant? You also have NO idea where they are going with Tara and Pam for sure. And what’s this interracial talk? No one even brought that up except for you.

• David says:

Pam did date Amelia but it was suggested she was only doing that because Eric wanted Pam around to keep Sookie safe. I can’t remember what book it was but it was before the last one where Pam wanted to turn the sick girl.

43. Potato Salad says:

It was alright. I’m infuriated that they didn’t even expand on Warlow. But I’m glad Lillith wasn’t just some hallucination. I remember being so angry that the ‘God Who Comes’ never actually came in Season 2. It made the antagonist look like just some weirdo lady monster than an actual threat. Lillith actually being a super powerful and ancient being rather than just a made-up character makes the craze around her feel less like a waste of time.

44. Ann says:

Well…when we finally see Warlow next season. My bet is on Eric killing him off. But he claimed Sookie as his…so doesn’t that mean hands off for other vampires? Waiting sucks…

45. PSUCutie says:

It’s Billith!

Seriously, what just happened???

46. Rashad says:

That was the best episode of True Blood EVER! Bill as the new Lilith was TERRIFYING. I’m ready for season 6!!!

47. NYCer4Life says:

I’ve always hated Bill so I’m glad he’s now the real bad guy. Go, Eric Northman!!! And thanks to Alan Ball for penning a fantastic season finale.

48. s says:

Eric was so awesome in the finale! I loved that he had great lines and got to kill Russell and FINALLY got to talk to Sookie. I also enjoyed the scene where Sam was a fly and killed the vamp Roslyn lol. I seriously thought Beel was dead but then he rises like Lilith and becomes Billith? WTF so what is he now? and is he going to still be evil? this gave me a little hope for Eric&Sookie but not too much. I like Pam and Tara and saw it coming but not this fast with the kissing but either way I like it and that Eric said they’re all family.

49. growsomefangs says:

For an award winning writer and producer…this shows really lacks fangs! What began as a promising series continues to develop into a spectacle of poor taste, unfinished stories, and bad acting. I’ve not read the books, therefore I cannot comment on the storyline and screenplay adaptation…but please grow some fangs! There has to be something more seriously entertaining…

50. Samantha says:

I feel like maybe this was all a set up to make Bill the strongest vamp that there is now….and for him to take out Warlow. I AM SO CONFUSED. Is Bill dead or not?

• Sandi says:

Bill is a vampire and therefore he is definitely dead. He was dead when the season started.

I’m not sure if he’ll take on Warlow, but that’s an interesting theory.

I love the Bill character so I’m excited to see what big, bad, Bill is like.