Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Next up on the episode-specific portion of our “Who Should Win” Emmy poll series: the contest for Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series.

Modern Family – last year’s winner and category dominator — is back with two episodes in the running: the Jason Winer-directed “Virgin Territory” and the Steven Levitan-helmed “Baby on Board.” The ABC sitcom has some stiff competition in HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, whose nominated director (Robert B. Weide for “Palestinian Chicken”) has four prior nods – and won the race in 2003.

The rest of the field consists of category newbies. Lena Dunham’s direction of Girls’ “She Did” episode on HBO nabbed a nomination, as did Louis C.K. for the “Duckling” episode of FX’s Louie, and Jake Kasdan for Fox’s New Girl pilot.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Choose your favorite in our poll below – the TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! – then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. And to stay up to speed on all our races, follow Michael Slezak on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. nick1372 says:

“Baby on Board” was such a good episode. It deserves to win.

2. Davey says:

Community should have been nominated for atleast two/three episodes for Season3. These are the actual nominees? Yikes! Sad :(

3. TJ says:

I’ve only seen the Modern Families and Girls episodes, but the directing in the Girls finale was fantastic. It was funny, but still very grounded. I think it should win. However, the same thing could be said for the Modern Family finale, so I’d be fine with either winning, but I’d prefer Girls.

4. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

The Louie ep was really good, same goes for Curb. People voting for New Girl have no clue what directing is lol.

5. Let’s be honest here, the best episode of comedy this past season would have been a “Parks & Recreation” episode. But given the nominees, I also vote for “Baby on Board.” It was touching and it shook up the future direction of the show in a really interesting way.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

Before nominations were announced, I was thinking what episodes I would most like to see nominated for writing and direction, and the Duckling episode of Louie was the very first thing that came to mind. It truly proved the capabilities that Louis C.K. has as an auteur. Nobody else has ever in the history of television pulled off what he has in terms of direction, acting, editing, and writing. Duckling is not only the best episode of the 2nd season of Louie, it is the best episode of the series, and was the best episode to air of any comedy last year. I would vote for Duckling over a Community episode just to show you how much I liked that one. I can’t see how the Emmy voters would view it and not want to vote for it. Sigh, but they’re all such old farts, they’re probably going to go for old standby Modern Family.

• nick1372 says:

… Or it might be because Modern Family was better.

• Jaime says:

That’s a subject statement. Britta Unfiltered was merely pointing out voting habits for Emmy voters. It’s kinda disrespectful to knock someone’s opinion

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

People are too busy voting for New Girl because it has some actress they like. I doubt many of the voters in this poll have seen every single nominated episode. I have and I voted for Duckling as well. Palestinian Chicken was very funny though. I think Louie C.K. has a good chance of winning this one.

7. Ben says:

I really like New Girl, but the pilot wasn’t that great, in my opinion.

8. Jay says:

Palestinian Chicken….hilarious..Curb FTW

9. ben says:

I know when an episode as a whole is good, and I know when acting is good. Even writing I can do fine. But sometimes its very hard for me to split out things such as good directing or editing. I don’t know what the original script looked like, what was cut, what shot was chosen over other shots that we didn’t see. So I find it hard to vote in a category like this.

10. Jill says:

I’m fine with anyone besides that hack Lena Dunham winning.

11. Niko says: