Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

We’ve reached the episode-specific portion of our “Who Should Win” Emmy poll series, so it’s time to hit the rewind button on your internal DVRs to ensure a fully informed voting process.

Today, we’re taking a closer look at the race for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. That statuette has gone to writers from Modern Family for two years running, but is certain to change hands in 2012, as the ABC smash was left off the list of nominees in favor of some upstart critical darlings.

Indeed, Parks And Recreation enters the Comedy Writing race for the first time with not one but two episodes in contention for Emmy Glory: “The Debate” (written by series star Amy Poehler) and “Win, Lose, Or Draw” (written by Michael Schur). Parks‘ NBC comrade, Community, is also making its first appearance in the category thanks to “Remedial Chaos Theory” (written by Chris McKenna).

The other newcomer is the pilot episode of HBO’s Girls (written by Lena Dunham).

That leaves Louie as the only veteran in the category. Nominated for the first time in 2011,  FX’s acclaimed comedy is back in contention with “Pregnant” (written by series star Louis C.K.).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine episodes when the Emmys are handed out in September? Choose your favorite in our poll below — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Heath says:

Remedial Chaos Theory for the win. This is one of my top 5 sitcom episodes ever for any show, if only for their evil versions w/ the soul patches. “This is definitely the darkest timeline” For the Emmy to go to one of the others would be cruel cruel cruel.

• Heath says:

Perhaps they were goatees. I don’t recall specifically, it’s been a while.

• Jamie says:

Have you actually bothered to watch the other shows??? Although I do hope Community wins for an outstanding episode of televison, all the the other nominees are worthy, Parks and Rec particularly, so I don’t think you should say int would be cruel.

Just my two cents :D

• Brendan says:

Both episodes of Parks and Rec were absolutely great, there’s no arguing that, but I have to agree that Remedial Chaos Theory is on another level, and on the short list for greatest sitcom episode of all time. (This is all very subjective of course… but the felt goatees!!)

• M says:

Well, I have watched the other shows and I’d really like Community to win. RCT is pure genius.

• michelle says:

I must be the only person who thinks Remedial Chaos Theory is completely overrated and that overall, Community did not have a strong season. I can’t really figure out why, but I just kept finding myself less and less invested in the show with each passing week. I personally would rather see the award go to Parks or Louie. As for Girls, I really enjoyed the show, but I thought there were far stronger episodes later in the season than the one that was nominated.

• Alan says:

yep you are the only one

• Brendan says:

Not even the Pillows and Blankets or Basic Lupine Urology? You have no soul….

• bradnies says:

I am one of the biggest Community fans I know. Bumper stickers, shirts, DVDs etc. But Basic Lupine Urology and Pillows and Blankets were my 2 least favorite episodes of the entire series. They don’t quite fit. What I love about the show is that the characters can still be themselves in these crazy situations. These 2 episodes had the characters really out of character….. With that being sad, Remedial Chaos Theory is beyond brilliant. Girls is an extremely well written show but I hate all the characters so I can’t see myself watching the next season.

2. chris says:

communitty or parks equally great episode in my opinion

3. Jared says:

The writers of MTVs Awkward were completely robbed in this category. Great writing with a fresh voice.

• Jamie says:

I think it’s a great show, with a strong cast of characters. But IMO, the writing isn’t on the levels of these nominees. I think the writers brought a strong level of creativity to the episodes that were nominated.

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

Community, absolutely, yes. Pregnant was a funny episode of Louie, but I’d rather see my Louis C.K. vote go to him for directing the Duckling episode and I already voted for him as best actor. I actually think Lena Dunham is going to win this for Girls though. Which isn’t the worst thing ever, but I think Community deserves it the most.

5. Jess says:

I love both of the Parks&Rec episodes, especially the debate. But I’m really hoping Community will take this one! I mean, com’n!!! (although i already consider emmy irrelevant after various misses, yes, i’ll continue to be outraged by the lack of Nick offerman, danny pudi, jim rash and simon helberg in the supporting comedic actor category and that community wasn’t nominated for best comedy!) seriously ridiculous!

• Brendan says:

I know, right?!?! Every year I say I’m not going to care anymore because of how many tragic oversights there have been (no Emmy for Steve Carrell, no Emmy for Hugh Laurie, countless nomination snubs for Community and HIMYM, the list goes on and on), yet somehow it’s still infuriating when the list comes out.

6. This EMMY should go to wither Parks or Community episodes as they are genuinely funny and brilliantly written, however I have a bad feeling Lena for Girls will win!

7. nick1372 says:

I haven’t seen any of these episodes, so I can’t judge.
    But I can list episodes with brilliant wirting that should have been nominated: Modern Family’s “Baby on Board” and “When Good Kids Go Bad”, Suburgatory’s “Thanksgiving”, The Middle’s “The Wedding”, The Big Bang Theory’s “The Friendship Contraction”, and Cougar Town’s “Your World” were all episodes with fantastic writing.

8. KND says:

Except for that stupid show Girls…this category is the biggest Sophie’s Choice. I have no idea who to vote for.

9. Alan says:

why are we even asking this? its clearly community, any show that can do 7 parallel timelines and have it make sense is doing a good job but to make it funny as well is incredibly difficult and yet they did it. add to that it the only nomination for the best comedy out there

10. Frank says:

Community should win, although I’d be fine with anyone winning other than that hack Lena Dunham.

11. Brendan says:

Community can do things that no other show on TV can do. From paintball, to the chicken finger mafia, to night school, to the pillow fort – blanket fort war (and oh so many more), their concept episodes are the best, most unique writing out there. Would absolutely love to see that finally recognized.

12. Mina says:

As an avid watcher of all these shows (what is my life), I’d have to give it to Community. What a brilliant 20 minutes of comedy that was.

13. Seriously, Louie is in last? Does anyone here actually watch that show?

14. Martin says:

Parks And Rec – The Debate!!

15. Amy says:

I give the edge to The Debate. It is absolutely brilliant and highlights the perfect blend of funny and warm fuzzies that Parks and Rec does so well. But if Remedial Chaos Theory won, I would be equally as happy. It was brilliant too.

16. Sheldon W. says:

Louis is dead last? That’s really sad – the show is one of the handful of best shows on TV.

17. Ram510 says:

Community is great and should be recognized, I hope it wins. However I think Cirriculum Unavailabe, Basic Lupine Urology or maybe even Documentary Filmmaking Redux should be up for the award.

18. cj says:

i’m literally about to watch as many of these episodes OnDemand as I can so i can make an informed decision. because ya know, this is a serious voting situation. =D (a.k.a. i can’t decided between which P&R ep.

19. Linda Frazzo says:

I do not watch these shows, but I cannot imagine they are as great as Episodes with Matt LeBlanc.

20. Bender says:

Community should win. But I’d still be happy if Louie or Parks and Rec won.