Suits Finale Preview: Can Harvey Save Mike? Will Louis Switch Teams? Is a New Romance Ahead?

Suits Patrick J. Adams Gabriel MachtTonight’s mid-season finale of Suits (USA Network, 10/9c) could be a piggy bank, it’s so stuffed full of change. The top position at Pearson Hardman is in flux, while Mike’s life is on a new and possibly self-destructive trajectory. Can his mentor Harvey put him back on track?

Below, executive producer Aaron Korsh previews the big vote that will decide the firm’s fate, romances in the office and a Harvey-and-Mike scene unlike any other.

VIDEO | Exclusive Suits First Look: Harvey and Donna Finish the Season With Some Flirty Vibes

TVLINE | How will the dynamics in the firm shift with the vote?
Louis has been put in a power position, with the ability to sway the vote one way or the other. He’s going to use that power position to his full advantage in [the finale]. It will obviously shift the dynamics greatly in that way. At the same time, Mike is reeling from the loss of his grandmother. Mike is this wild card, Louis is full of himself with his newfound power and Harvey is caught in the middle between those two – Harvey and Jessica both.

TVLINE | Do Harvey and Jessica have any hope of winning Louis over to their side?
There’s always hope of winning Louis over to their side. Louis, deep down inside, understands that neither side has fully embraced him nor has either side fully shunned him. So there’s always a chance that Louis is going to vote for Harvey and Jessica, and there’s always a chance that Louis is going to vote for Daniel. When it comes down to it, he’s going to end up voting his gut.

TVLINE | Mike is having a hard time following his grandmother’s death. How far down the rabbit hole will he go?
He goes a little bit down the rabbit hole. The character of his grandmother was somewhat based on my grandmother. I had four grandparents, and three of them died when I was really young. One of them lived and died when I was about 30 or 31 years old. I took it hard. I obviously loved her very much. It shook my life a little bit at that time. But I’m not an orphan… This is Mike’s only family in the world. It’s a big thing. The loss really untethers him to the point where he’s going to ping-pong around the whole episode and really make some questionable decisions in reaction to that loss.

Suits Patrick J. Adams Gabriel MachtPHOTOS | Covert Affairs: Annie and Auggie Slow Dance in ‘Emotional’ Episode, and Simon’s Back!

TVLINE | It also leads to an exchange between Mike and Harvey in a setting and scenario we haven’t seen before. Can you preview that scene?
Mike, reeling from his grandmother, chooses to smoke pot in reaction to that. Harvey needs to come and help Mike get his s–t together, so he ends up showing up at Mike’s place and discovers that Mike has been smoking pot. It leads to them having a long, bonding discussion where they each reveal personal things to each other, man to man.

TVLINE | We have to talk about Rachel and Mike – when are those two crazy kids going to come to their senses?
[Laughs] That’s a great question, great phraseology. It could be a bad idea for anybody to have an interoffice romance, but in his particular case, [Mike] is a fraud. It’s a big thing. His revealing that to Rachel would really put Mike at risk. It could put Harvey at risk. It could put Jessica at risk. So it’s a big deal. And the other side of the equation – most of the time I don’t think like this, but in this particular case I do – if we get them together too soon, what do we do after that? It’s a tough question, and I don’t have necessarily the answer to it right now.

Suits Elisabeth HowerTVLINE | Can you talk about this mysterious woman, Tess (played by Elisabeth Hower, pictured right), and how much of a threat she is to Mike and Rachel?
Anyone who is an attractive woman, who Mike has a history with, is a threat to Mike and Rachel, especially in the state of mind that Mike is in. In this particular case, Tess is his first love — or at least first girlfriend. She’s coming back because of the death of Mike’s grandmother. It turns out she has a complicated secret of her own. It’s a question of, is the attraction between the two of them going to throw a kink into the Mike/Rachel relationship?

RELATED | White Collar Taps CSI: Miami‘s Emily Procter as Peter and Neal’s New Boss

TVLINE | Last week, Donna said she was not in love with Harvey. Is she in denial?
[Laughs] She could just be lying and not be in denial. I do not claim to know 100 percent what is in Donna’s heart when she’s delivering that line because these things tend to create a life of their own. But I personally believe her. I believe, currently, that Donna is not in love with Harvey. These things are very complicated. People’s feelings ebb and flow… At the time that she says that to Harvey, I believe that she believes it.

TVLINE | Was she in love with him in the past?
That is a complicated question. Love is a tough thing. Do I think Donna at some point had some feelings for Harvey? Absolutely. “Love” is a strong word. To me, it’s not a yes or no answer, as Donna says. But does she love Harvey in certain ways and care for him deeply? Absolutely. I guess I would pose the question: If at any point in their relationship or even now, Harvey said, “I want to marry you”  to Donna, I don’t think Donna would say, “Yes, let’s do it,” because she knows who he is and she knows that might not last. That’s why I say that question is complicated.

1. Mel says:

Cannot wait!!!!
    So many things to be excited for and i am sure we will be hanging off a cliff at the end of the season….

2. Michael says:

“if we get them together too soon, what do we do after that?” How bout you figure out a way to write about a couple of people who share great chemistry and who care for each other quite deeply? The will-they-or-won’t-they ploy has gotten so tired. Let them explore a relationship and if it is uninteresting, they can move on. I think that a relationship between Mike and Rachel, with her knowledge of Mike’s secret, would be far more interesting than the crap that is going on now. The back-and-forth is a convenient and overused plot device.

Suits is, by a mile, my favorite summer show but this meredith/derek-like drama annoys me a bit.

• cynthia says:

Yeah, I kinda agree with this…I mean, I ship Mike and Rachel a lot, but the whole on/off thing is getting old already…It’s so frustrating!

• Sagiscor says:

I also agree with this- just do something with it, or not at all- I hate the shows that make us just wait, and wait and wait…

• Katherine215 says:

If I felt like there was an actual reason to keep them apart, or he was saying their characters needed to grow, I would be ok with them holding off on the Mike/Rachel relationship. But Korsh is basically saying he doesn’t know how to write an interesting storyline for them and is content relying on their chemistry. I love Suits, but the desire to fall back on lazy writing by the show runner disappoints me.

Also, I think he’s full of it that Donna’s not in love with Harvey. If they didn’t want us to think that, they should’ve toned the chemistry down in their scenes the last few weeks. And saying he doesn’t know if she’s lying or not – well, who does then?! This is a stupid way to tease us, imo.

• Michael says:

Agreed. I buy into the fact that Donna would have extreme reservations when it comes to loving Harvey…Harvey is an easy person to love but a dangerous person to love as well. Let’s not, however, pretend that she doesn’t love him. Their chemistry is palpable.

3. Sagiscor says:

I’m all about Donna and Harvey…..that chemistry is just SOO there… in my opinion of course- I hope they do something with it and not have it just go unexplored

4. RD says:

This is my absolute favorite show at the moment.The characters are so interesting and the dialogue snappy and clever.But when do we see the rest of the season?

5. qwe89 says:

Too bad it’s on USA. It will never get the praise it deserves. Such an entertaining show and with great performances.

• SusieQ says:

Totally agree qwe89 – we in Canada get this fabulous show on Bravo! No one else I know watches it because they all head for the x3 biggies: ABC, NBC, ABC…..too bad, this show deserves a bigger audience.

6. Jared says:

I am probably going to go into cardiac arrest this evening!! Lol! I can’t freaking wait!!!

And I swear if Louis screws this up (like I know he’s going to), I will NEVER forgive him!

7. Eliza says:

I love this show! But I will admit, I wouldn’t be as into it if Gabriel Macht wasn’t on it. He is awesome and my favorite.

Not surprised that the writers are facing what many, many shows face…”when should we get them together; is it too soon?” in regards to Mike and Rachel. Just please don’t have Harvey and Donna get together. I view them as dear friends only.

8. M says:

TEAM HARVEY/DONNA!

• Eliza says:

I love them together but just as friends. Having amazing chemistry does not always translate to having a great romantic relationship. Sorry, but I don’t see Harvey and Donna being all serious “relationshipy”….And it could screw up their awesome dynamic. IDK I think both characters could suffer by having them together. Maybe towards the end of the show’s run. JMHO.

• Sagiscor says:

I disagree I think it should go that direction-

• Eliza says:

Cool. Don’t see it and have no interest in it happening, so, agree to disagree. Hope the writers don’t screw up these great characters just to give certain fans what they want. Have seen that happen before and it can fail miserably.

• Sagiscor says:

I’m not one to debate usually because you will never convince me and I will never convince you, but when you say “certain” fans, every poll I’ve vowed on this question comes out with between 70-75% wanting this. I understand loving the characters as they are but also think the crumbs have been laid for a purpose… We’ll see, if I’m wrong I will still have fanfics….

• Eliza says:

I couldn’t reply directly to Sagiscor… Anyway. I say certain fans because not everyone wants Harvey and Donna coupled up. I have no idea about polls. I have never voted in one (as I’m sure a lot of people haven’t) so, who knows. Do I think a lot of fans want them together? Sure. People love to ‘ship’ characters on tv shows. But that doesn’t mean the writers are going to do it justice. So, eh, whatever, as long as they don’t change Harvey, I guess I couldn’t care less really. If they ever hooked up in the past, it didn’t go anywhere for a reason….We’ll see, for sure.

• Sagiscor says:

I agree with your last comment. Not everyone does want them together, I’m sure alot of people don’t vote but the ones I saw had them pairing up in majority but then again… I hear alot of Mike/ Harvey and Mike/ Rachel- I don’t necessarily want those either- but you are right if the writers write well and leave the characters unchanged- I’m down with whatever…

9. meah says:

Bring Jenny back.every other thing is fine
    Mr gabriel is phucking awsome..

10. Antwon says:

Question for fans: Don’t you think it was strongly implied last week that Donna/Harvey have already hooked up? Based on the dialgue on her block–I think they had a ONS.

11. Pia says:

“It turns out she has a complicated secret of her own.” Let me guess: a kid.

12. BTM says:

Donna/Harvey has a protective big sister/little brother feel to me.

13. etc says:

Lewis votes with his gut= Spoiler alert- He votes for Jessica.

14. Ashley says:

Man am I glad I only just read this with 22 minutes til showtime. I might implode in anticipation otherwise.

15. Gina says:

I love this show!!! I am totally team rachel and mike it’s interesting keeps you wanting to see what’s going to happen next with them I actually like that hey re waiting with those to. They have intense chemistry on camera. So happy that Jessica and Harvey have control clever episode. I enjoy the dynamic between Jessica and Harvey close friendship. Love, love, love this show and that new chick please yuck!!

16. MAS says:

I don’t think Mike and Rachel should get together. If he cares about her, why would he put her future in jeopardy? I don’t think he should lie forever. I think he needs to find a way out of the enormous mess he has created for himself, but of course that would mean the end of the show, right?

17. stella says:

Could care less about Mike and Rachel now. The back and forth is boring and contrived. I say bring back Jenny, that’s where the REAL chemistry is anyway.

18. David Connor says:

Jenny nd Mike! What happened to that?!?

The show runners messed up with Mike and Jenni. Why build up their relationship and chemistry in the first few episodes of the show only to have Mike go for Rachel. I don’t like them as a couple, in fact I can’t really take to Rachel tbh.