Fall TV Preview

Scoop: Suburgatory Casts Tessa's Mother – Look Who Scored the Plum Part!

As far as mother-related TV reveals go, it’s Suburgatory 1, How I Met Your Mother 0.

After an exhaustive search, ABC’s sophomore comedy has tapped Malin Akerman (Rock of Ages, Childrens Hospital) to play Alex, the estranged mother of Jane Levy‘s Tessa, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Fall Preview Headquarters — Video, Photos, Schedules & More!

Alex, who will appear in this season’s Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes, is described as a beautiful, free-spirited singer/songwriter who’s never met her daughter. Her urge to form a relationship with Tessa has finally outweighed her fear and shame so she attempts to spend the holidays with her, hoping that the past won’t haunt either of them anymore.

“I’m a huge, nerdy fan [of Malin's] and this was an extensive search for the right actress to play such a pivotal role in our show,” raved series creator Emily Kapnek. “It turned out to be well worth the wait. She’s funny, gorgeous and incredibly charismatic, and I know her chemistry with Jeremy Sisto and Jane Levy is going to be off the charts. Malin is a comedy writer’s dream, both beautiful and comedically fearless. I’m over the moon about her agreeing to play Alex.”

RELATED | Suburgatory Taps Family Man as Dallas’ Life Coach

Last spring, Akerman — whose credits also include the big screen comedies Couples Retreat and 27 Dresses — snagged a lead role opposite Portia de Rossi in the ABC pilot The Smart One, but the project failed to earn a spot on the network’s fall schedule.

Suburgatory‘s second season premieres Oct. 17 at 9:30/8:30c.

Comments (33)

• Well…. I can honestly say, I didn’t see that coming.

Comment by Lena120 – August 23, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing against Malin, but I really wanted Judy Greer :(

Comment by M80 – August 23, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure the combined sarcastic power of Judy Greer and Jane Levy would make the show explode ;)

Comment by Eli – August 23, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After seeing just a few reruns I thought George was a widower. Silly me. But even a mention of Judy Greer has me unfairly slamming this choice even though I’ve never heard of Malin.

Comment by april-ann – August 23, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christ, she seems a little young.

Comment by Alex – August 23, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Malin Akerman is 34. Isn’t she awful young to have a high school aged daughter? Are we supposed to believe that Tessa’s parents got together and then broke up as teenagers?

Comment by Charlotte – August 23, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure if her parents were high school sweethearts, but tessa is 16, so her mom would have been 17 or 18 when she had her…seems about right

Comment by Nick – August 23, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is a reason why Tessa’s mom wasn’t around. Having a kid extremely young is probably a part of the story.

Comment by QuinnMallory – August 24, 2012 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she’s only 3 years younger than sisto, makeup will age her up appropriately, great choice!

Comment by b – August 23, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is she old enough for that role?

Comment by Kate – August 23, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • make up does wonders for this sort of stuff, let me point you to community, the guy who played pierce’s dad was actually about 10 years younger than chevy chase and yet it was perfectly believable that he was much older than chevy

Comment by Alan – August 23, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks really young. And Jane Levy is also much older than she looks (I believe she’s in her 20s in real life, right?) So I’m guessing the two actresses are not that far apart in age.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 23, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Levy is 23ish. Akerman is 35ish (and Sisto is 38ish). But Levy is playing 16, so… it’s kind of shockingly not that inaccurate, age-wise. Which kind of just confirms I’m getting old.

Comment by Kelly (@rocza) – August 23, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anne Bancroft was only 6 years older than Dustin Hoffmann and she still played a, excuse the term, “cougar” in The Graduate.

Comment by Philipp – August 24, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree. Malin Akerman is great, but she does seem too young for this role. Unless the story will be that she had Tessa when she was 18 or 19

Comment by Lauris – August 23, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can age her up a wee bit, so she was at least legal when she had Tessa but it makes sense that a potential reason she ditched her child revolved around having her at a young age and panicking or not feeling ready.

Comment by Dani – August 23, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As I am a fan of Malin Akerman. I’m gonna have to agree and say she does really seem too young to play the role of Tessa’s mom. But either way I’m excited to see how this all pans out this coming season!

Comment by Mel – August 23, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nice pick. i could see Malin Akerman becoming a Sitcom star off of this role

Comment by ggny – August 23, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised, because she’s so young. But she’s a very funny actress, so I’m happy with it!

Comment by Josh – August 23, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Alex, who will appear in this season’s Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes, is described as a beautiful, free-spirited singer/songwriter who’s never met her daughter’

Errr, I passed biology at school. So, unless my teachers lied to me how is this possible?
    Unless she was unconscious at the time of the birth.

Comment by Fen – August 23, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She could have refused to see Tessa after she was born so she wouldn’t become attached? Or it could just be poorly worded.

Comment by neums (@neums) – August 23, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given how many of the same readers were voraciously campaigning for Elizabeth Mitchell to play the mother of a 28 year old, it seems odd that readers are suddenly worried about actresses looking too young.

Comment by Betty – August 23, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Malin and I;m excited at the prospect of her singing on this show cause she has a bananas voice.

Comment by dude – August 23, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d prefer Christina Hendricks

Comment by Me – August 23, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A shocking and original casting choice and I actually think it’s great! Can’t wait to see her in full swing this fall.

Comment by Sam – August 23, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her!

Juna, baby girl…

Comment by SJ – August 23, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She can be a smokin hot redhead. Aok.

Comment by BrianR – August 23, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is pretty funny so I like the casting and she is a just a little younger than Sisto so I don’t see the problem, actors play older and younger a lot and thats what makeup does.

Comment by Juan – August 23, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s gonna make Cheryl Hines look like Granny Clampett.

Comment by Cy – August 23, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they give her a red wig or something. It seems weird that Tessa would have such vibrant red hair with a blonde mother and a father with dark hair.

Comment by Mikael – August 27, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Mikael..Not so weird having mother with blond hair…My son has blond hair and his wife has dark hair and they just had twins, one redhead and one blond. In fact the redhead (7 months old) will be in flashback photo’s of Tessa as a baby…

Comment by dawn – August 27, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post