Soaps Dish: Christel Khalil Cut from Y&R? Plus Susan Flannery's B&B Exit Timetable

And Daytime TV’s biggest twists continue to take place off screen.

The latest news that has soap fans in a lather: Newly minted Daytime Emmy winner Christel Khalil has reportedly been cut from The Young and the Restless, the CBS drama she has called home for 10 years.

The 24-year-old actress’ official website confirmed the ouster, stating, “It is not her decision to leave. An agreement could not be reached during contract negotiations.” UPDATE: A spokesperson for Y&R producer Sony TV tells TVLine that the show — which today is shooting its 10,000th episode — does not comment on contracts, rumors or storyline information.

During Khalil’s decade-long run, she amassed a total of four Daytime Emmy nominations, six Image Award nods (winning once) and was up for a Young Artist Award twice. With her leaving, the fan fave role of Lily Winters Ashby is already in the process of being recast.

Meanwhile, sources confirm for TVLine that despite rumblings to the contrary, Susan Flannery is, as reported earlier this week, parting ways with The Bold and the Beautiful after 25 years — and most amicably, at that. Flannery has signed a short-term extension of her current contract that will allow series boss Brad Bell to spin what we hear is an “amazing” exit storyline. Flannery’s character, Stephanie Forrester, will last appear on-screen sometime in December.

1. lena120 says:

I have to be honest. I never liked Christel as Lily. Thought Davetta Sherwood was a better fit. She had amazing chemistry with Daniel and was a great scene partner with Victoria Rowell’s Drucilla. Plus, it’s no secret Victoria and Christel didn’t get along. Maybe this means they’ll bring Drucilla back?

• Nunaya_Bidness says:

It’s wrong but I’m laughing as I read this, when Khalil wanted out they let her out and when she wanted to come back, they fired the perfectly capable Davetta Sherwood, who had so much more chemistry with Daniel and the spice and feisty-ness you’d expect from Drucilla’s daughter. So this feels a bit like karma biting back. I just hope they remember Davetta and at least ask her to come back, but after the way they did her, I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t.
      I doubt this will get Victoria Rowell back on board as there are also behind the scenes issues between Victoria ,Michelle Stafford and Peter Bergman.

• GBz says:

I agree with everything you posted! I don’t know why they let her come back after she left. Davetta Sherwood was 100x better than Christel. Not sad to see her go at all.

• Zai says:

How does one of the the worst actresses in the world, even for soaps get so many “awards”. What a big corrupt joke, she must have someone on top pulling the strings . Sherwood was way ahead of khalil and thats an understatement. How does a show keep a dull, lifeless and
      non actor and let go of a real and good one who brought the ,best out of the character, …….the world we live in.

• Judy PAPPAS says:

I would love to see Victoria Rowell back on the Young and the Restless. She was great

• James G. Wallace says:

Christel, Lily, is the most elagantly beautiful woman I have ever seen. I will miss seeing her on the Y@R.

2. Daniela says:

I’m going to miss Susan Flannery. :-( But the show isn’t what it once was anyway. It’s all about Liam, Hope & Steffy.
    I won’t feel bad about Christel Khalil. Never liked or cared for her. She is stuck a dull romance for years now. Davetta Sherwood was the much better Lily. I was a big fan of Daniel & Lily back in the day.

3. AmeliaHeinleFanForever says:

Sucks for Lane/Lily fans…. Feel bad for them.
    I don’t watch the whole show though. I only watch for the pairing of Billy and Victoria. LOVE THEM!!!

4. Ash says:

Good. I hope this means the end of the most boring pairing ever: Lily and Cane.

5. benson says:

OMGGGGG! I LOVE LANE. They are my second fav couple on the show. (Billy&Victoria first) This sucks.

6. Never cared for CK either. Not enough FIRE as Lily and in ten years on that show she had no growth as an actress at ALL. I also liked Davetta Sherwood better. She was more adult and less Valley Girl. CK can play the twins babysitter but not their mother.

7. eileen hargis says:

Hate to see Crystel leave but REALLY dont want to see Davetta return, did not like the way she portrayed the role at all. New fresh face would be a much better choice. Sad to see Susan finally leave the show but she has been wanting to for a long time. Will be interesting to see if the show survives with two of its mainstays gone. Doesnt look promising!

8. hr says:

Cancel all the soaps already

• Miffy says:

Yes, agreed. Soaps are for the dumb, the lazy, and the obese. I bet George W Bush and Sarah Palin love them!

• eileen hargis says:

So Miffy, soaps are just for the dumb, obese, etc so what r u doing on a soap comment post? Which one of those r u? Just asking

• B says:

Love your post my sentiments exactly lol they must watch them but they hatin on the ones who do i love the soaps was mad sad and more when they cut guiding light and as the world turns but anyway luvvv your come back to that post i want to know which one they are also probably lazy and dumb lol

• Greenidgirl says:

You are a complete idiot. I am none of those things and tivo the show. I only get to watch late at night with kids in bed. You are a moron.

• rachybaby says:

You are an idiot…

9. Scott says:

Yes! Way too egotistical! Time for a better Lily!

10. dram063 says:

I think all soaps will be gone eventually and replaced with this reality sh*t!!! Television is NOT the same and never will be. What a shame!

11. Mekisha says:

Once again the show of all the soaps that has survived the worst period in television by others who aren’t on network because the rush to make room for more unnecessary programming on air for empty time slots to fill more and more nonsense doesn’t really make any sense and all. But hey,It a business and that’s what is needed. All you have to do is make an effort to dismantled the out of a show and the characters to make some deep connection to the audience even without the reason to do so. This is a good example of what is truly wrong,when you take what was working and dismantle the crap out of it to so much that it doesn’t even exist as something that remotely resemble the program that once was a good show now is a completely confusing and lost with the audience which I think is the reason for this current storm that has hovered over the recent show as good as Young And The Restless. It just simply makes no sense at all.

12. Winnie says:

Susan Flannery is who kept me watching B&B for more than a decade. I’m not surprised, because I think she’s hinted at it for a while, but this might be the time I finally let soaps go.

13. EricB says:

susan flannery is the dark heart and golden soul of B&B. That TPTB aren’t moving heaven and earth to keep her in the fold even in a nominal way speaks volumes. my money says the show will be done before 2014 winds down. and SF, who is a phenomenal and largely underappreciated artist, frankly doesnt need this crap anymore. Lets hope she doesnt completely retire from acting, but if she does, the rest is well deserved…

14. Pucci says:

This is just like unbelievable to me, SF is leaving B&B??? I mean I really didn’t watch the show but from what I’ve told about the show & what little bit I’ve seen, she was the show. And to be honest, it’s kinda mean to say but even I’m not all that upset about CK leaving Y&R, the show has gotten very boring & part of that is how they completely destroyed the Winters family, they were once a key asset to the show & in recent years it seems since VR left they’ve been completely dismantled, only showing up every once in awhile & Lane is boring too simply because they play out the same storylne to make them interesting again. I have not watched a full episode since 2010 & haven’t been that much into soaps since OLTL & AMC were cancelled.

15. David Cuthbert says:

Susan Flannery is a world-class actress. We have followed her from “Days of Our Lives” to her big-screen career, TV reign as queen of the made-for-the-tube movies, and finally, her phenomenally strong, yet subtly shaded portrayal of Stephanie Forrester. Moving this character to the back burner, while it may have been partly the actress’ wishes, was a big mistake.

I must say, though, that the Bells have a heart: the way they’ve kept Darlene Conley’s character of Sally Spectra alive in dialogue mentions and dialogue flashbacks was and is a very gallant thing to do.

Susan Flannery, for my money, is the heart and soul of “The Bold and the Beautiful,” with a mystique and mature glamour that have never been equaled anywhere, except by classic movie stars.

David Cuthbert
    New Orleans

16. I truly agree with , TV is not the same.

• Lee says:

No, TV is not the same and it shouldn’t be. Times changed. There is some great programs out there. There’s just so much fluff, you have to find them.

• Lee says:

No, TV is not the same and it shouldn’t be. Times changed. There are some great programs out there. There’s just so much fluff, you have to find them.

17. Paula Hill says:

I hate seeing Susan Flannery leave B&B, she is a great actress. I am like several others on these post about getting SO tired of the Liam, Hope, Steffy story lines. I think eventually Steffy and Bill will end up together because Hope will be pregnant with Liam’s baby and they will end up back together. At least that’s what I hope happens.

18. Julia says:

Tha newest actors on Young and the Restless, Summer, Fen, and Noah are terrible! None of them can act, and almost put one to sleep. Please find someone better

• I agree!!! they need acting lessons!!

• Debra Ward says:

I agree the new Summer and Fen are not a good fit on the Young and Restless. Maybe it is time that soaps come to a end. The trouble is what will it be replaced with. I’m tired of all of the reality shows.

• Jabari Newman says:

I love LAne! But let’s not forget that there’s another man going to shake them up! Now I hear about Debbi Morgan leaving… and I’m just hella disappointed… Gene too! Without Jill, Genevieve, Harmony, Abby, Ashley, etc… There is all Young and no Restless… If JC leaves… I’m done and I’ve been a an since birth…

19. Dee Thomas says:

Susan Flannery is such a good actress and she has been there so long. I hate to see her go, but we all have to go sometime. Enjoy your life. You will be missed!!!! May God Bless & keep you in His care!

20. jimmie cochran says:

i agree i will miss susan flannery and i think i to shall stop watching bold and beautiful i have been watching the show from day one . jimmie

21. krackle says:

It’s a shame the way Brad fixates on some couple or in this case triple and just re re re re re re re runs their stuck stuck non-dynamic.

Often daytime overuses kids to try to catch a young demographic, but the actors with the real power are not the kids.

SONY and other corporations own these shows and have no appreciation of them. I avoid buying SONY products any more.

OLTL was hilarious, brilliant, dazzling, and still profitable.

The networks deliberately hire butchers to wreck the shows — if they have no stuck writer to help them out like Brad by torturing the real talent and audience into leaving.

Young people often have trouble following the action of a drama once it gets beyond primitive. And those who own the broadcast media want to keep it that way. The more they dumb things down, the more they vulgarize and stupefy the audience, the better chance it won’t know any better than to vote “republican” and perpetuate the looting and pillaging of the country and planet.

The bell serials were highly successful but one blundered into self-destructing and the other was betrayed by its owner, SONY, and the head of CBS, and has been handed off to the most prominent destroyer of healthy daytime, who once killed OLTL which miraculously resurrected, a sign of its genius. So casting, acting, and MOST of all, what used to be writing, plummets on Y&R, which is already like a show making fun of the REAL Y&R. And B&B turns into a travelog about rich kids and where they play while the young actors learn their craft and the rest of us snooze, waiting for Stephanie to wake the wasted world again.

It’s part of the destruction of the country by those trapped in addiction to short-term profit, with no foresight about the giant crash it’s bringing about — one they can’t plunder the taxpayer to bail out the next time, since they’ve already gambled and used that money, the blood of the poor, away.

Flannery is sensational. We would have been lucky to have a tenth as much of her as we’ve gotten.

But Brad can be stunningly dim.

It’s tragic that the party is over. Daytime has been so creative and amazing over its whole run. It taught us things people will have no way to learn now except by grievous personal loss over many years, and gave community to tens of millions cut off from it otherwise.

I learned that a hypodermic is a weapon, way back when Lindsay used it to stab Nora. (She couldn’t help herself, her father preferred her sister to her, leaving her too wounded to stop wounding Nora.)

Amazing characters from amazing writers and actors, whom we got to know through amazing plots and relished.

Time’s up, though. Giant forces want us to be an even more moronic country; they have the power of morons to spread their ways, making everything dumber and dumber, the corporate way, Dilbert world.

Television is more and more a wasteland, fake news, even dumber dumbness.

Capitalism sterilizes, ruins, everything.

Look at willard the wicked, Lord have mercy, waiting to pull the plug on the veterans, elderly, disabled, those who chose not to smile while we kill, not to plunder.

Stephanie was so real and so ferocious for her family, by her hilarious, amazing lights.

She made me feel waked up, delighted, safe, in a world full of familiar, warm interiors and freshly cut flowers.

She’s been such a class act.

She made me feel briefly less alone in the world.

She’s like a lightning bolt, arresting, riveting.

But those days are over now, and brad rushed them along to their deeply sad end.

What a shame.

• Greenidgirl says:

Wow! I am literally in awe right now, and not in a god way. First of all, how can you even begin criticizing Republicans? I am not one, although I do have some conservative views. But the sheer fact that you can be so engrossed in a TV show is very disturbing. Keep in mind that I have been a die hard Y&R fan for 15 years. I completely agree that the writing, new actors, and horrible story lines are driving my beloved show into the ground. But come on man! Wake up! Take a deep breath and live a real life! Living through tv is not fulfilling! Use the passion you have on something that is relevant in your own life, but fiction!

22. donna says:

Victoria rowell is busy valling everyone a racist so she passes up jkbs cause whom ever hiri c her is a racist. Victoria everyone cant be racist n offer u a job, u jusy don’t want to work. I guessing she thinks all her white fans are racists n we just like her for some agenda, get over yourself already. There r racist out there but for u aloneto cross the path of everyone of them is not possible, u r looking for a reasom to bitch m moan, grt over yourself so u can n happu n working.. To think everyone is racist is delusional maybe a mental health chrck is needed. The only black actor to claim every one whitwhit os rscist. I bet alot of blacks would disagree with u.. Get over yourself. U r to good of a actor to blow your own career by being labeled as trouble

23. Hi there! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I needed to
    ask. Does managing a well-established website such as yours require a massive amount work?
    I am completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

24. Elizabeth Fose says:

Perhaps Susan Flannery will go on to the Broadway stage. She would be wonderbar! She is a wonderfully talented actress. She would be fantasic.

25. Ken whitcomb says:

All you christel haters are nuts. She is an awesome actress and is the best for this role. Not to forget to mention that she’s really beautiful. I hope you are never leave y n r

26. George Richardson says:

Plse don”t take lily (khali) she and Cain has too much chemistry. She is the best actress for that job. Why do you have to remove someone that’s just perfect for that role?

27. Whity says:

I wish lily and neal and that lawyer and her brother would take all their relatives and start their own show. I run the fast forward then they come to hog the screen with their stupid story lines. It is hard to believe the parts they are cast to play…

• carol gerald says:

I also run the fast forward whenever this family is on. The Father and Brother are both terrible actors. I totally agree with everything you wrote.

28. One of the first treats you enjoy in Qantas Airways firstclass meal service is the caviar that precedes each meal.