Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Mentalist Brings Back William Forsythe & Samaire Armstrong, Introduces Jane's [Spoiler]

William Forsythe Samaire ArmstrongHere’s a surprise even Jane didn’t see coming: The Mentalist is bringing back some familiar faces for Season 5.

William Forsythe, who stars on Fox’s new drama The Mob Doctor, will return to the CBS procedural as Rigsby’s father, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Exclusive: Rome‘s Polly Walker Joins The Mentalist as New FBI Agent

The visit from Rigsby’s “badass, gangster, biker dad,” as executive producer Bruno Heller describes him, won’t be an entirely happy one.

“Rigsby’s had a very conflicted and difficult relationship with his dad, for obvious reasons,” explains Heller. “That comes to an epic head in Episode 4. That’s going to be a big episode for Rigsby and [actor] Owain Yeoman.”

Additionally, Samaire Armstrong (Dirty Sexy Money, The O.C.) will make her comeback in Episode 10 as prostitute-turned-CBI confidential informant Summer Edgecombe. She’ll place Tim Kang’s Cho in “a very difficult situation,” Heller says. Meanwhile, new Community professor Malcolm McDowell will make a “brief, but sensational” cameo as Brett Stiles, the leader of the Visualize Self-Realization Center church.

Also returning to the show are Gregory Itzin as Supervising Agent Virgil Minelli, Michael Gaston as Director of CBI Gale Bertram and Pruitt Taylor Vince as Special Agent/Supervising Agent J.J. LaRoche.

Finally, the hit drama — which celebrates its 100th episode in the upcoming season — is introducing someone very important to Jane: His daughter! The crime solver’s offspring, who was killed by Red John, will be played by newcomer Dove Cameron (Shameless) in Episode 2. Heller calls the hour “a big episode, a wonderful episode,” but for story reasons declines to say whether we’ll meet the girl in a dream, flashback or some other context. “That’s the whole nub of the episode,” he teases.

The Mentalist returns in its new timeslot Sunday, Sept. 30 at 10/9c.

Comments (24)

• I’ll take seeing Rigsby’s Dad and I’m interested to see what they are doing with JAne’s daughter, but why did they have to bring back Summer? She was nothing but a bore.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – August 22, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Summer!

Comment by King – August 22, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Summer as well. As for seeing Jane’s daughter. A dream? We know she is dead. Come to think of it, this is TV land isn’t it so I’ll put it this way. I don’t think Jane would have kept her hidden for years safe from Red John and never once seen her. And Red John would have let it be known that he did not kill her.
    I’m settling for a dream. I love this show. Such a great cast.

Comment by Joy – August 22, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d settle for just knowing her name. the whole time the show has been on, those two have been like a symbol. Only refered to as Jane’s “wife and child”

Comment by Aaron Schwartz – September 4, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Her name is Charlotte Anne. Her mother is Angela Ruskin Jane

Comment by patti – September 28, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. That’s a lot of great info there. Thanks!
    I’m glad we finally get some stuff on some of our favorite characters. Sounds like they have some great stuff cooked up for us. Glad to find out more about Rigsby (which I assume we will with his father reappearing), and love that Summer is coming back. So looking forward to episode 100. I hope it’s as great as it portends to be. And, last but not least, I’d like to ask about Agent Lisbon. She has many a fan online and a great many of us are wondering what’s going on with her this year? I would very much like it if we could get some great Jane and Lisbon times this season. They are without a doubt my absolute favorites on the show. Would you mind asking Bruno Heller about these things when you get a chance? I sincerely hope he’s the one writing some of those times since he does it so perfectly. Oh, and btw, BH is the best!
    Thanks again. We appreciate the spoilers.

Comment by N. Abrams – August 22, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops. Forgot to add I’m interested to find out why LaRoche and Minelli are both coming back. Minelli was pretty cool, though. Glad he’s coming back for however long. Looking forward to season 5.

Comment by N. Abrams – August 22, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy about ALL the returning characters/guest stars. They all play key roles in one way or another. I am also happy we are finally meeting Jane’s daughter!!! Now, what about his deceased wife?!!

Comment by Leigh – August 22, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jane’s daughter looks too old for a flashback. It must be a daydream or RJ has had her this whole time.

Comment by Matt – August 22, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought so too. Don’t get me wrong, a flashback episode could be awesome, but when I remembered how the girl playing his daughter looks like a teen, well… Just makes me even more curious and excited about what’s going on. Also, if it is just in Jane’s head, you know, psychological, which is what you would assume since she is dead, then why was the actress tweeting about acting with Robin too? IDK, very mysterious. To top it off, I think it might be written by Daniel Cerone, who wrote one of the best episodes of last season. Ugh. Love that guy. If he is the one who wrote it and if it’s anywhere near as epic as “Fugue in Red” was, *flails* :)

Comment by N. Abrams – August 22, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m SO glad Summer is coming back. I hope they keep her around; she brings such life to the show and she’s a great character to see more of Cho through. Making her a permanent recurring character would make me so happy.

Comment by mia – August 22, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlotte Jane. CHARLOTTE. JANE. OH MY GOD.
    Dove Cameron is perfect for Charlotte. OhmygodOhmygodOhmygod. I’ve been waiting for an emotional Jane Family episode for soooo lonnggg. DYING. And shes so pretty! Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. I LOVE YOU BRUNO HELLER.

Comment by Lainy – August 22, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MINELLI MINELLI MINELLI MINELLI MINELLI
    CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE
    I’m hoping for some beautiful Lisbon/Minelli scenes.

Comment by Rosa Llama Jane Samuela – August 23, 2012 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure some of you are thinkiing clearly. How could Patrick Jane have “hidden his daughter away” all these years? Someone had to be in her coffin. Same with Red John: you really think Patrick wouldn’t have noticed that his daughter wasn’t buried? (BTW, haven’t we seen his daughter already in flashbacks?) Anyway, Dove Cameron is too old to play her in flashbacks. My guess is that she’s some sort of “future” version of his daughter. maybe Jane is dreaming that it’s 2020 and his wife & daughter are still alive. Or maybe she appears to him as an angel of her future self.

Comment by jena – August 23, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah! So much info, thanks! I really can’t wait oh my god

Comment by cynthia – August 23, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT MADELINE HIGHTOWER!!!!! >:O

PS: Thanks for the spoilers

Comment by HG – August 23, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I miss Hightower!

Comment by CAM – October 7, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the fact that they are going to have Jane’s daughter on the show.
    I also think she might be a hallucination like they did with O’Laughlin in the episode Bloody Red Valentine.

Comment by sidney – August 23, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hightower and Erica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Andrea – August 25, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope that Summer doesn’t come back to say she’s pregnant. Too cliche.

Comment by Sienna – August 27, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Gale Bertram? He has been in some episodes that could suggest he is somehow connected to Red John. Maybe he is one of his many minions, or the crimson guy himself. However, I still have a specific minor character in mind for the master of mayhem….”tiger, tiger burning bright”.

Comment by T. Fry – September 10, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to read that Summer is coming back …as long as th don’ kill her off. I loved her character and he ad Cho were great. Season souds like it’s gonna be good!

Comment by Steph – September 16, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I would love for Jane’s daughter to be alive, I highly doubt it. They would of have this “maybe” she’s alive through all four seasons 4 instead of she’s dead. Heller is probably just trying to stir up suspense and interest. The episode could be about Jane dreaming about how life would of been if Red John never had killed his wife and child.

Comment by slipperyicicle – September 17, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Currie Graham as Walter Mashburn. Thats who I want to see back!

Comment by ddmunky – November 4, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post