Doctor Who's Return Date Confirmed, Plus Scoop on the Wild (and Wild West) New Episodes

The Doctor will see you … very soon.

BBC America has issued a double-secret official confirmation of Doctor Who‘s return date – Saturday, Sept. 1, as has been rumored in recent weeks.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Guide to 110 September Premieres and Finales!

In announcing the long-running series’ return, executive producer Steven Moffat promised “our biggest range of stories ever. We’ve got the return of the Daleks and the Weeping Angels — both of them poll-topping Doctor Who adversaries — in cracking new stories, we’ve got Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (it’s what you’ve always wanted), we’ve got a glorious Western with a Cyborg Gunslinger, the most unusual invasion Earth story ever, and location shooting in New York for the Pond finale” that will pave the way for Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill to exit the show.

RELATED | Ratings: Copper Drama Gives BBC America Its Best Series Launch Ever

BBC America also let slip with these delicious synopses for the first three of the five new fall episodes, to air Saturdays at 9/8c.

“Asylum of the Daleks” | Kidnapped by his oldest foe, the Doctor (played by Matt Smith) is forced on an impossible mission – to a place even the Daleks are too terrified to enter…. the Asylum. A planetary prison confining the most terrifying and insane of their kind, the Doctor and the Ponds must find an escape route. But with Amy and Rory’s relationship in meltdown, and an army of mad Daleks closing in, it is up to the Doctor to save their lives, as well as the Pond’s marriage.

“Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” | An unmanned spaceship hurtles towards certain destruction – unless the Doctor can save it, and its impossible cargo…… of dinosaurs. By his side a ragtag gang of adventurers; a big game hunter, an Egyptian Queen and a surprised member of the Pond family. But little does the Doctor know there is someone else onboard who will stop at nothing to keep hold of his precious, prehistoric cargo.

“A Town Called Mercy” | The Doctor gets a Stetson (and a gun), and finds himself the reluctant Sheriff of a Western town under siege by a relentless cyborg, who goes by the name of, the Gunslinger. But who is he and what does he want? The answer seems to lie with the mysterious, Kahler-Jex, an alien doctor (yes another one) whose initial appearance is hiding a dark secret.

1. Chance says:

SQUEEEEEE!!!!

2. Slizabeth says:

Yay!!! Doctor Who is an amazing show!

3. Keren says:

I can’t wait!! The episodes sound interesting!

4. dave says:

finally but its a shame that its only for 5 weeks then nothing again until dec 25th

5. Amber says:

Can’t wait!!!!

6. crochetowl says:

Amazing how this nearly 50 year show is finally making a dent here in the states (took long enough). Hopefully, the stories will be better and less space opera than the last two years.

• michael says:

The last two years have been fantastic….a hundred times better than the soap opera of Doc Ten and his ‘twu wuv’ the selfish shop assistant. Long live the Moffat and Smith era!

• louise says:

Fantastic, really? Series 6 made sense to you? Would you please explain what the frak the deal was with the River storyline and Eye-patch lady’s plan then, for from my POV that was a burning pile of nonsense :p

Say what you will, but at least Doctor/Rose made sense.

• Alan says:

alright you want it to make sense to you guess ill have to break it down really slowly for you.
          madame kovarian (“eye-patch lady” as you put it, her name was said several times maybe you werent paying attention properly and thats why you didnt get it) works with the silence (scary monsters who make you forget you’ve seen them once you look away), they want to kill the doctor so they kidnap amy and replace her with a doppleganger who is psychicly linked with the real amy so even she doesnt know she was kidnapped, amy is pregnant with a baby conceived on the tardis, this little wrinkle in the conception lead to the baby being part timelord (dont ask, just go with it), they take the baby once she is born and brainwash her all her life to kill the doctor.
          she lives through several regenerations including one in 1969 which is the story where we are introduced to the silence, she regenerates into the incarnation know as mels the childhood friend of amy and rory, she travels with them and the doctor to world war 2 where she is shot and regenerates again into the river song we know, she poisons the doctor as she was brainwashed to do, however she feels remorse and so gives up the rest of her regenerations to heal him, her brainwashing was still intact though which lead to her shooting and killing him at lake silencio, however it turns out the doctor she killed is actually the tessalecta made to look like him, she fully believed at the time the she had killed him and completed the task she was brainwashed to do so she now no longer will try to kill the doctor because in her mind she already has.
          there not that hard to get really once you pay attention, i wrote all this from memory having only seen all the episodes only once a year ago so clearly it wasnt that hard to understand.
          and yes it was fantastic, steven moffet has been showrunner for the 2 best years since the show has returned and i eagerly anticipate the next. i was a huge fan of david tennant as the doctor but by the end i was just sick of everything with rose, my least favourite season of his was his first because it was too preoccupied with rose and the love story which just couldnt be a background to other more interesting stories.
          sorry about the block of text but that comment just got to me, try maybe paying proper attention next time, i think you should rewatch season 6 because it really is fantastic once you follow along with all steven moffets craziness

• louise says:

Yes, I know what happened – that still doesn’t mean it makes sense. Why did they need a time-lord baby to kill the doctor? Why not just hire an assasin? The Doctor’s dead was a fixed point in time, so why did it matter who was going to do the killing? He was going to DIE anyway, it is a freaking fixed point in time. And why did the Silence need to make a high tech-space suit? And WHY did they build in the abiliy to call the highest authority? Are they idiots?

And why did River end up regenerating in the 60’s? Why did they keep her there? And why did they need to kidnap Amy – why not just wait, kidnap the baby at the hospital – they have monsters that no one can remember, for God’s sake. That seems a lot simpler than making a dopple ganger. Seriously, I got about a million questions and I could go on for ages…

I DID pay proper attention, and I may not remember people’s name because I only watched it once and I was busy trying to figure out what the heck everyone was thinking. Sorry, I really don’t mean to start a loooong discussion, I just get a bit annoyed when people praise Moffat and just look past the fact that his plots doesn’t really make sense anymore and are convoluted as hell.

• MV says:

GOD! I’m so with you on the the whole Rose thing! Russell T Davies (though I adore him for bringing back Who) was just one big Rose fangirl. And I disagree with the above commenter (albeit, some of her questions are definitely valid but I don’t think they’d be considered “plot holes” that would make the overall arc completely confusing) — The Doctor/Rose did NOT make sense because the Doctor would never be all about ONE companion (let alone one who was, as you put it, selfish….). Creating a Meta-crisis Doctor and leaving him with her just so she can have her own Doctor is just ridiculous. Throughout Doctor Who, the only “romances” (if they can be called that and there aren’t many) he’s had were not your conventional, run of the mill shop girls he picked up (no offence to the shopgirls). They had to match him intellectually and emotionally and really understand his life: River, the TARDIS and, severely dating myself by revealing my original DW ship, fellow Time Lady Romana (though no romance was REALLY shown).
            Steven Moffat just GETS the world of the Doctor, sometimes it might get a little confusing but that’s time travel for you. As for Matt Smith, he has this weird ability to look both young and old at the same time making him the perfect Doctor. I’m in no way knocking Tennant. Every actor brings something amazing to the role but overall story lines, writing and character development, just makes the Moffat Who era stronger (also, going through the list of Tennant episodes, never fails, every single one I’ve pegged as a favourite was written by Moffat :)
            #long comment is long

• Ellen says:

totally agree with you louise.

7. Dani says:

I love Doctor Who, and I think it’s sweet they are trying to incorporate American settings. But between these new episodes, Daleks in Manhattan, and the Impossible Astronaut, there is an odd pattern. Does anyone else get the impression that this is how Europeans envision America: as made up of two states: New York City and the Wild West? It’s quaint, really.

• RDB says:

The Impossible Astronaut was set in neither New York nor the wild west.
      From what I’ve read the weeping angels are in manhattan. Where else would they be, but by the statue of liberty?

• Dave says:

After decades of you guys thinking that there is only London in the of the whole of the UK….you can forgive dr who for showing only 2 places in America……..

• What about Australia? I’d love to see an episode set in the Outback with Ayres Rock in the background. Who knows what kinds of evil aliens are hiding there, biding their time to take over the Earth? And with us only having the Doctor to save the world and give humans a future to look forward to…

8. Alicia says:

Doctor Who!!!

9. Debbie Bitz says:

Arghhh… now I don’t want the series to start. That means it is closer to Rory and Amy leaving. I hope with them gone that doesn’t mean River Song is gone too.

10. Mikaylah says:

Ah, these episodes sound amazing! I am so excited for DW to return, although I am going to be devastated when The Ponds leave.

11. Velvet says:

I love Amy and don’t want to see her go.

12. Dave says:

Interesting to note its being broadcast on the same day as the UK……..only a few hrs difference……i see there trying to get a beat the torrent pirates.

13. Carrie says:

Every time they bring in a new companion I think there is no way I could like them as much as the old one but they always prove me wrong. Amy and Rory were amazing and I will miss them tremendously. I just have to trust that I will be wrong again.

• Amanda says:

This. I never thought I could get over Martha, then I loved Donna, and don’t get me started on my fear about not loving Matt Smith as the Doctor over David Tennant. I just always have faith and then poof! I love what comes next. I will miss Rory most of all though. He is the moral compass and has such heart and a sense of bravery mixed with awe that is so sweet.

14. Deb says:

Brilliant !

15. The Daleks and Weeping Angels are my least favorite Who adversaries. The Daleks are cheesy camp and their entertainment value has been mined out. The Weeping Angels were excellent as a one-shot adversary that the Doctor dispatched wonderfully. But their welcome ran out after that.

What I watch the show for is Steven Moffat’s amazing writing, the twists and turns he puts into his plots and the humor in the dialogue as expressed by Matt Smith and Karen Gillian.

If Moffat, himself, is writing the episodes featuring the Daleks and Weeping Angels, I give it a good chance of overcoming the baggage of the worn out villains. Neil Gammon and Russell T Davies have a poor to middl’n chance. Anyone else – no chance at all.

• Alan says:

he is writing both of those episodes, daleks in the series opener and angels in the ponds last episode

• Alan says:

and anyway the showrunner is the only one who has written for the daleks since the show has returned so it wasnt much of a surprise that he would be writing them again, and the angels are his baby no one else is allowed to write them

16. michael says:

Critics who have seen Moffat’s Dalek episode say it is a ‘belter’….he’s actually made the Daleks scary again. That’s no mean feat after their awful episodes in the RTD era.

17. scifisiren says:

I love the Ponds, but I’m excited to move on to the new companion as well. Doctor WhhhoOOOOOOOO!?!?! Can’t wait!!!

18. JP says:

So glad BBCA finally confirmed the date!

The eps sound amazing, but I’m a little bummed about the Ponds’ marriage problems — they’re Amy & Rory, the couple who waited for each other! I don’t like the idea of them being on the outs.

19. Doug says:

I can’t wait to see the Jenna Louise Coleman character. I love Clara already.. simply because she isn’t Amy. I can’t stand Amy. She is the worst companion ever IMO

20. Suzeq716 says:

Docter Who is the best! Love Matt Smith and Rory and Amy. I’m going to miss them so much and so will the Doctor. Especially looking forward to the Weeping Angels. I hope River Song makes an appearance. But I am really bummed that there are only five episode! Farewell Any and Rory! Long live the Doctor!

21. Ann says:

I’m going to miss Amy so much. I liked Rose and still miss her. The other two ladies who were recent companions just didn’t do much for me.

I still miss David Tennant. Matt Smith is…ok, but I liked the one before DT better, although neither of them matches Tennant IMO.

I adore River Song. Love the actress, love the wacky time-backward relationship.

I have a lot of fun intoning “exterminate, exterminate,” but the Weeping Angels scare the heck out of me!