Big Bang Theory Makes 'Stuart' a Series Regular

Our whole universe… is getting more populated, now that The Big Bang Theory has added Kevin Sussman as a series regular for Season 6, our sister site Deadline reports.

Sussman, who has recurred since Season 2 as Stuart, the owner of the Marvel-lite comic book shop, becomes the CBS hitcom’s eighth series regular, joining Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayar, Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik.

RELATED | Big Bang Theory‘s Mayim Bialik on Car Accident Aftermath: ‘Amy Won’t Be Playing the Harp for Some Time’

That said, the frequency of his appearances is likely to remain intermittent, meaning he won’t appear in every episode like the others. The actor’s previous TV credits include a recent episode of Weeds, My Name Is Earl and Ugly Betty.

Big Bang opens its new season on Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8/7c, where it will now lead into Two and a Half Men.

1. zan says:

wow, they just keep on adding series regulars, it must be those amazing ratings. But i’m glad he’s not going to be in all the episodes, the character’s much better if used sparingly.

2. Monique says:

3. I was at the taping last night, and the friend I was with-who had gone before-pointed out that he was listed as starring. Good getting confirmation!

4. Martin says:

Too many series regulars i feel, next it will be Kripke, i liked it better when it was core five, still love show but think the rest should be used sparingly.

5. Raj needs a friend, now he has one. Case closed?

6. Yanina says:

Love Suart/Kevin SO happy! great news, he’s hilarious!

7. Kelly says:

awesome.love him on the show.

8. Matthew says:

I know WB owns DC Comics but its kind of annoying that the comic book shop is so one sided.

9. mia says:

That’s awesome. I love Stuart. Wouldn’t be aposed to a Stuart/Amy romance either

• suzi says:

Not a bad idea. While I love the quirky friendship that is Shamy, I don’t ever want to see a romantic relationship between them Stuart is a funny sweet guy, and an enjoyable addition to the show and I think he and Amy could satisfy each other’s needs quite nicely.

• kaleidoscope world says:

YES!!! sheldon needs someone else less annoying. and someone who doesn’t look like his meemaw’s mahjong buddy. stuart can have amy.

10. ragincajun says:

I like this. I have always thought that Stu and the comic book store could be a good set-up for a spinoff seriers. By making Kevin a regular, the producers can get the viewers more invested in the character if they do decide to go that route.

11. SUCH a bad decision. Three years from now, this show is going to turn into According to Nerdy Jim – a disgustingly bad sitcom that just won’t die.

• Get Smart says:

THIS. so much THIS. nothing against stuart – he was working fine sparingly. is this a legal issue? (like with mayim’s case, if they use nan actor x amount of times, they have no choice but to make the actor a regular or else, like prady once said, they’ll have to answer to legal?) why do they have to keep expanding the cast? in the grand scheme of successful, iconic tv shows, when did THAT idea ever work in the long run? it’s like raj sleeping with penny all over again – whose lamebrained idea is this? oy.

12. KC says:

I like it, as does my daughter. He’s such a lost puppy character. By making him a series regular locks him in, more or less, to be there when they want him. He probably gets a bit more money and they get him as needed.
    I totally trust the people behind this show. They have slowly added in new cast members. I love how they are all evolving from how they were at the beginning when the boys met Penny and there was The Big Bang!
    Wouldn’t mind seeing Sara Gilbert once and a while and her Leslie telling Sheldon that he’s a”dumb ass”.

13. robinepowell says:

Congrats to him! He’s been on the show a lot longer then Melissa and Mayim, yet they were promoted to series regulars, two seasons ago. :)

• Nick M. says:

no one should’ve been promoted to regulars. all 3 of them would’ve been fine in small doses as recurring characters, especially amy. oh geez, especially amy and her polyester and web toe and dandruff – best tolerated in teensy weensy doses.

14. Ella says:

I like him, but definitely not for all the episodes. Same goes for everyone but the original cast actually. I like Bernadette and Amy a lot but for me, Sheldon needs someone different to him to make the dynamic more entertaining and even remotely romantic. Howard and Bernadette are uber cute though.

15. I think it’s probably well deserved, and it’s not like he has to be in every scene. Also, it took me half a minute to remember who Melissa Rauch could possibly be. Stuart is more memorable…

16. Justin says:

As long as he’s used intermittently, I love the idea. Stuart is a funny guy.

17. Anthea says:

Cool. He won’t be coming in between the Shamy anyway. My favorite guest star is Wil Wheaton, but turning him into a regular would mess up the magic of “evil” Wil. Stuart is more versatile.

18. Rain says:

As long as they don’t do this for Wil and Kripke I’m fine with it! Can’t stand either of them. Wil is one of the most annoying and overrated actors ever – I just don’t get the fanboy love for him!

19. Caitlin says:

this is awesome. idk why people are complaining, stuart’s funny, and he won’t be in every episode.

20. dude says:

Yes because every time I watch, I’m thinking “God I wish Stuart was in this more”

21. Suzie says:

I love Zack [Brian Thomas Smith] and hope he keeps popping up occasionally, too.

22. Tom Mc says:

I like the show and I like the character of Stuart, so I am happy with this. It’ll be interesting to see how they work him in.

23. westwingpotus. says:

I think it’s a good choice. The thing that keeps the Big Bang Theory fresh is the introduction of new characters and how the core group (Leonard, Sheldon, raj, penny and Howard) reacts with those characters. All of the supporting players add freshness and depth to the core group.

But they need to pay attention to the core group as well. If I could have a “wish list” for next season, I’m totally over the whole Raj can’t speak to women thing. Either cure him or bring him out of the closet, I don’t care which. And Penny needs to do something with her life besides the mediocre waitress/unsuccessful actress thing. Yes, it started out funny, but six years later, not so much anymore.

• Gretchen says:

Penny is my least favorite original character–she still seems to just be using the guys for her own ends and adds very little. Leonard could do so much better. I hated him with Pria, too.

24. Gwen says:

I love the BBT… Keep the actors as is… let’s get a girl for Raj…not just your regular blonde..we already have Penny and Bernadette…maybe a female who is soooo surprisingly different. Stuart is great…but now with Penny… she is Leonard’s girl friend… MORE SHELDON AND AMY FARRAH FOWLER PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! This series makes my day…YAY to the writers… and Howard…. he is so what is happening. Can’t wait for the new season.

25. Varco says:

In my opinion, this is actually a good addition. I would’ve went for Stuart or Zack, but it seems Stu will be a good person to fill the void left by Howard’s temporarily minor interaction with the rest of them. I just hope Stu won’t get dropped like Leslie.

26. juan Lama says:

Nos encanta Stuart. No sé porqué pero lo siento como a alguien cercano y querido. I’d like him!!!!!!

27. juan Lama says:

Thank’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Cheryl mcdowell says:

Stuart is a much needed low key character to the rest of the show’s fine cast. Some of the best lines, delivered quietly and usually to himself, have come from Stu. Love it.

29. Pingo says:

Isn’t the whole point of each new character to show how these guys don’t just stay hermated nerds and grow as people. If you have a significant girlfriend they’re going to be around all the time so you can’t half write them into the show, they have to be “real’ as well. As for Stuart, without him Raj was just becoming a really lonely guy. I guess the writers prefer to see their characters developing new friendships in response to changes in other characters lives, it is a comedy not a study into the psychology of isolation.