Fall TV Preview

Big Bang Theory Makes 'Stuart' a Series Regular

Our whole universe… is getting more populated, now that The Big Bang Theory has added Kevin Sussman as a series regular for Season 6, our sister site Deadline reports.

Sussman, who has recurred since Season 2 as Stuart, the owner of the Marvel-lite comic book shop, becomes the CBS hitcom’s eighth series regular, joining Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayar, Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik.

RELATED | Big Bang Theory‘s Mayim Bialik on Car Accident Aftermath: ‘Amy Won’t Be Playing the Harp for Some Time’

That said, the frequency of his appearances is likely to remain intermittent, meaning he won’t appear in every episode like the others. The actor’s previous TV credits include a recent episode of Weeds, My Name Is Earl and Ugly Betty.

Big Bang opens its new season on Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8/7c, where it will now lead into Two and a Half Men.

Comments (47)

• wow, they just keep on adding series regulars, it must be those amazing ratings. But i’m glad he’s not going to be in all the episodes, the character’s much better if used sparingly.

Comment by zan – August 22, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Leonard will move in with Penny, leaving his room across the hall empty.

Comment by CJ – August 22, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At least he’d get a regular hot shower. ;)

Comment by Rory – August 22, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do realize that Stuart is currently living with Raj, right?

Comment by Jackson – November 23, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Monique – August 22, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was at the taping last night, and the friend I was with-who had gone before-pointed out that he was listed as starring. Good getting confirmation!

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – August 22, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many series regulars i feel, next it will be Kripke, i liked it better when it was core five, still love show but think the rest should be used sparingly.

Comment by Martin – August 22, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nah, next it will be Will Wheaton. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 22, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to have more Bawwy Kwipke!

Comment by Amanda – August 23, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raj needs a friend, now he has one. Case closed?

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – August 22, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Suart/Kevin SO happy! great news, he’s hilarious!

Comment by Yanina – August 22, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome.love him on the show.

Comment by Kelly – August 22, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know WB owns DC Comics but its kind of annoying that the comic book shop is so one sided.

Comment by Matthew – August 22, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awesome. I love Stuart. Wouldn’t be aposed to a Stuart/Amy romance either

Comment by mia – August 22, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not a bad idea. While I love the quirky friendship that is Shamy, I don’t ever want to see a romantic relationship between them Stuart is a funny sweet guy, and an enjoyable addition to the show and I think he and Amy could satisfy each other’s needs quite nicely.

Comment by suzi – August 22, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! sheldon needs someone else less annoying. and someone who doesn’t look like his meemaw’s mahjong buddy. stuart can have amy.

Comment by kaleidoscope world – August 23, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this. I have always thought that Stu and the comic book store could be a good set-up for a spinoff seriers. By making Kevin a regular, the producers can get the viewers more invested in the character if they do decide to go that route.

Comment by ragincajun – August 22, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUCH a bad decision. Three years from now, this show is going to turn into According to Nerdy Jim – a disgustingly bad sitcom that just won’t die.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – August 22, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. so much THIS. nothing against stuart – he was working fine sparingly. is this a legal issue? (like with mayim’s case, if they use nan actor x amount of times, they have no choice but to make the actor a regular or else, like prady once said, they’ll have to answer to legal?) why do they have to keep expanding the cast? in the grand scheme of successful, iconic tv shows, when did THAT idea ever work in the long run? it’s like raj sleeping with penny all over again – whose lamebrained idea is this? oy.

Comment by Get Smart – August 23, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it, as does my daughter. He’s such a lost puppy character. By making him a series regular locks him in, more or less, to be there when they want him. He probably gets a bit more money and they get him as needed.
    I totally trust the people behind this show. They have slowly added in new cast members. I love how they are all evolving from how they were at the beginning when the boys met Penny and there was The Big Bang!
    Wouldn’t mind seeing Sara Gilbert once and a while and her Leslie telling Sheldon that he’s a”dumb ass”.

Comment by KC – August 22, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to him! He’s been on the show a lot longer then Melissa and Mayim, yet they were promoted to series regulars, two seasons ago. :)

Comment by robinepowell – August 22, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no one should’ve been promoted to regulars. all 3 of them would’ve been fine in small doses as recurring characters, especially amy. oh geez, especially amy and her polyester and web toe and dandruff – best tolerated in teensy weensy doses.

Comment by Nick M. – August 23, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So according to you, all of the women have to be hot, but none of the men do. Interesting.

Comment by Mcat – August 24, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like him, but definitely not for all the episodes. Same goes for everyone but the original cast actually. I like Bernadette and Amy a lot but for me, Sheldon needs someone different to him to make the dynamic more entertaining and even remotely romantic. Howard and Bernadette are uber cute though.

Comment by Ella – August 22, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you ella. every word and every sentiment – i concur with you 100%.

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – August 23, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s probably well deserved, and it’s not like he has to be in every scene. Also, it took me half a minute to remember who Melissa Rauch could possibly be. Stuart is more memorable…

Comment by Barbie Furtado – August 22, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as he’s used intermittently, I love the idea. Stuart is a funny guy.

Comment by Justin – August 23, 2012 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. He won’t be coming in between the Shamy anyway. My favorite guest star is Wil Wheaton, but turning him into a regular would mess up the magic of “evil” Wil. Stuart is more versatile.

Comment by Anthea – August 23, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i hope he does!

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – August 23, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • An actual villain might be nice, though…

Comment by Varco – September 30, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t do this for Wil and Kripke I’m fine with it! Can’t stand either of them. Wil is one of the most annoying and overrated actors ever – I just don’t get the fanboy love for him!

Comment by Rain – August 23, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is awesome. idk why people are complaining, stuart’s funny, and he won’t be in every episode.

Comment by Caitlin – August 23, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes because every time I watch, I’m thinking “God I wish Stuart was in this more”

Comment by dude – August 23, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Zack [Brian Thomas Smith] and hope he keeps popping up occasionally, too.

Comment by Suzie – August 23, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show and I like the character of Stuart, so I am happy with this. It’ll be interesting to see how they work him in.

Comment by Tom Mc – August 23, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a good choice. The thing that keeps the Big Bang Theory fresh is the introduction of new characters and how the core group (Leonard, Sheldon, raj, penny and Howard) reacts with those characters. All of the supporting players add freshness and depth to the core group.

But they need to pay attention to the core group as well. If I could have a “wish list” for next season, I’m totally over the whole Raj can’t speak to women thing. Either cure him or bring him out of the closet, I don’t care which. And Penny needs to do something with her life besides the mediocre waitress/unsuccessful actress thing. Yes, it started out funny, but six years later, not so much anymore.

Comment by westwingpotus. – August 23, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Penny is my least favorite original character–she still seems to just be using the guys for her own ends and adds very little. Leonard could do so much better. I hated him with Pria, too.

Comment by Gretchen – August 24, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the BBT… Keep the actors as is… let’s get a girl for Raj…not just your regular blonde..we already have Penny and Bernadette…maybe a female who is soooo surprisingly different. Stuart is great…but now with Penny… she is Leonard’s girl friend… MORE SHELDON AND AMY FARRAH FOWLER PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! This series makes my day…YAY to the writers… and Howard…. he is so what is happening. Can’t wait for the new season.

Comment by Gwen – September 17, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion, this is actually a good addition. I would’ve went for Stuart or Zack, but it seems Stu will be a good person to fill the void left by Howard’s temporarily minor interaction with the rest of them. I just hope Stu won’t get dropped like Leslie.

Comment by Varco – September 30, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nos encanta Stuart. No sé porqué pero lo siento como a alguien cercano y querido. I’d like him!!!!!!

Comment by juan Lama – December 7, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by juan Lama – December 7, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stuart is a much needed low key character to the rest of the show’s fine cast. Some of the best lines, delivered quietly and usually to himself, have come from Stu. Love it.

Comment by Cheryl mcdowell – January 31, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t the whole point of each new character to show how these guys don’t just stay hermated nerds and grow as people. If you have a significant girlfriend they’re going to be around all the time so you can’t half write them into the show, they have to be “real’ as well. As for Stuart, without him Raj was just becoming a really lonely guy. I guess the writers prefer to see their characters developing new friendships in response to changes in other characters lives, it is a comedy not a study into the psychology of isolation.

Comment by Pingo – April 8, 2014 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post