Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Preview: Office Boss Touts a Stronger Andy, Kelly's Parting 'Gift,' a Wedding and More!

Let’s face it: Season 8 of The Office was like getting a Prism Durosport for Christmas when you really wanted an iPod. Meandering plots, characters acting out of, well, character and an overall lack of focus dragged down the NBC comedy’s first full year without Steve Carell.

Enter original showrunner Greg Daniels, who is back at the helm and determined to reestablish The Office as Must-See TV — albiet during the show’s just-announced final season. Here, the boss lays out his Season 9 game plan — which includes a more aggressive Andy, several fresh faces and a tormented Nellie.

RELATED | The Office to End This Season, Show Boss Promises Answers to All Questions

TVLINE | What was your primary mission when approaching this season?
I want to tell big arcs for the main characters and regain that sense of needing to see each episode when it airs to find out what is happening next. I want to keep the drama hot and juicy and the comedy cold and crunchy, basically imitating the old McDLT campaign for McDonalds.

TVLINE | Last season Andy was more of an off-and-on boss. Is this the season he fully takes the reins at DM-Scranton?
David Wallace, who now owns Dunder Mifflin, sends Andy for Outward Bound-leadership training over the summer and he comes back pretty aggressively in charge.

TVLINE | Andy and Erin — what is the state of their relationship this season? What is their next obstacle? Same question for Jim and Pam. And Dwight and Angela.
All the main characters will have serial stories and relationship arcs. It will be more fun to experience the twists and turns while watching if I don’t spell it all out for you here.

TVLINE How will Nellie fit into the office this season?
At the end of last year, Andy softened and allowed Nellie to stay as Director of Special Projects. But he comes back from Outward Bound with the confidence and desire to torment Nellie for what she did to him last year and make her quit.

TVLINE | Describe the two new characters played by Jake Lacy and Clark Duke.
Jake and Clark play Pete and Clark, two guys in their mid-20s who have been hired to go through the 4,000-plus unanswered customer complaint voicemails that Kelly leaves behind when she goes.

TVLINE |  What brings Roy back?
Jim and Pam are invited to Roy’s wedding in Episode 2.

The Office‘s ninth season premieres Thursday, Sept. 20 at 9/8c on NBC.

Tags: ,

Comments (11)

• I like what I’m seeing here. Daring to hope that The Office goes out on a high note.

Comment by onemovieeachday – August 21, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cant understand why so many people dislike season 8 of the office. Is it sour grapes because michael scott left? As with every season, the office had a few, few mind you, corny scenes, but all in all the season was hilarious. I watch the season again on dvd and loved it. Let’s give credit where it is do. It was different without carrel but still so classic. I wish the show would continue. I feel this type of humor formula could last for another nine seasons, ok maybe another three but still more than twenty some episodes left. I hadnt watch tv for four years before seeing the office seasons and what a great show!

Comment by Mike – September 13, 2012 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! Took the words right out of my mouth! I loved every season!

Comment by Priscilla – February 7, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the first time in several years, I’m starting to get excited about the new season of The Office. I think it is the right decision to end it (although two years ago may have been a better choice) and I’m looking forward to getting some questions answered with some laughs along the way.

Comment by CJ – August 21, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Looks like the final season will be fully revitalized. Didn’t know how they were going to deal with the so many of the cast leaving, but I completely believe in Greg Daniels! I am hopeful that it will be a great year to end the series.

Comment by chiana – August 21, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So basically Andy was a better person before he left for this Summer Leadership Experience and then comes back to torture Nellie? How does that make him better? Have they forgotten what makes their characters likable(Andy’s overt sweetness)

Still I’m watching this season…it’s the last one and the first few seasons of the Office are amazing.

Comment by Josh – August 21, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really looking forward to the next season. Sad it Is the last but I would love to see the show go out on a high note. Even when it isn’t at it’s best (like last season) it is still a consistently funny and creative show. can’t wait to see this last season unfold.

Comment by murley – August 21, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I defend the show going on every chance I get but if Nellie is still on it I say let it die.

Comment by Joe – August 21, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nellie is super funny, and I agree she’s best in smaller doses. What about Kathy Bates?

Comment by Tara Green (@Tarasoleil) – August 22, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nellie is annoying and I’m sorry not suited to this show. Will be glad to see her go. Kathy Bates is gone, last episode of Season8 said she liquidated Sabre so no more involvement with the show.

Comment by Petey – August 29, 2012 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that Roy is coming back is hilarious.

Comment by Allie – August 29, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post