The Office to End This Season, Show's Boss Promises 'All Questions Will Be Answered'

The Office Ending After Season 9NBC is closing The Office after nine seasons.

In a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, exec producer Greg Daniels announced that the long-running comedy will conclude in May. “All questions will be answered this year,” he said. “We’re going to see who is behind the documentary. We’re going to meet some of them… and we’re going to explore [why they were filming for so long].”

RELATED | The Office Scoop — Find Out Who’s Getting Married!

Daniels said “a lot of familiar faces” will return as the show approaches its series finale, but it remains to be seen if Steve Carell’s Michael Scott will be one of them. “It would be fantastic if [Steve] would return,” he said. “He loved how [Michael] exited, and is probably anxious about not messing up such a stylish exit. That’s a perfectly legitimate point. We’ll see.

“There’s so much to pay off after nine seasons of so many great characters,” Daniels added. “My biggest concern is just packing in these great ideas the writing staff has and making sure we can squeeze as many as we can into the ending.”

Daniels said to expect some “explosive” twists. “Now that we know we have an end date we can kind of blow up things,” he shared, “and take some chances. [It's] very freeing creatively.”

Daniels also revealed that…

* The Scranton Strangler will be unmasked.

* The final season will be a “big” one for Jim and Pam. “There’s a lot of drama [for them],” he teased. “The story is definitely not over for them.”

* “Daryl will learn PowerPoint,” he shared.

* John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Rainn Wilson and Ed Helms will enter the final season as producers.

* The news has no impact on the possible Dwight-centric spin-off The Farm, which will be introduced in an episode of The Office to air this fall.

Thoughts? Is it the right time for The Office to call it quits? Hit the comments!

1. Jared says:

Thank god they know and will be able to do a proper finale!

2. Cam3150 says:

I’m sad but it’s time. It hasn’t been the show I first fell in love with for years. The more people that leave, the more the characters change, the less I recognize it. It was a good run.Thanks for the memories.

• Ashlee says:

I couldn’t agree more. At least it’ll get a good send-off.

• jenny says:

Agreed! Love the show, but I do feel it’s time to end! But this makes me excited about season 9 which I wasn’t before!

• Add me to this agreement. While I’ve only been watching since early 2009, I have come to like this show. Except this past season. I wasn’t entirely looking forward to season 9 but now I kind of am. Especially if Steve Carrell decides within the next few months to return. Although he and Greg make a valid point about Michael’s exit :)

3. Esaul says:

I love The Office dearly, but the way season seven ended was perfect. Steve’s swan song is among my favorite episodes.

• Angela says:

That was a great, really touching episode. I’m not ashamed to admit I got all teary-eyed at the end. I know Steve had made his thoughts known about coming back, and I absolutely can agree with and respect his position. But it would still be really nice if he was able to show up in, say, the final episode somehow or something. That’d be cool.

4. Last episode will be everyone watching the documentary at Michale’s house. He’ll be back, you’ll see. Funny thing would be if they’re all really old people in the year 2065 or something.

5. cj says:

this feels like a very last minute decision, but i’m a die hard office fan, so no matter what goes down i’ll love every minute of it.

6. Leonard says:

” We’re going to see who is behind the documentary ”

I’d laugh my a$$ off if it turned out to be Abed from Community lol . There’s no way it will , but it’d be funny to see a Community/Office crossover where Abed uses this documentary for a film project .

At least they got word early on so they can tell the story they want and end it properly . But NBC is going to be in the crapper if they’re getting rid of their highest rated scripted show . They better hope one of their new comedies pans out this year , or NBC will be running a three hour block of Rock Center for fall 2013 .

• jenny says:

Hahaha! OMG, that would be the best!!! You need to tell NBC that asap!!!

• Angela says:

While I agree that it’d be kinda fun to leave the mystery as to who was behind the documentary, if we’re to get any answers, I LOVE your suggestion the most of any of them. That would be brilliant :D. I’m particularly interested in the identity of the Scranton Strangler. Hmmm.
      Not a surprise the show is going to end-clearly it’s time and they’re making the right choice, sad as it is to see the show go. It’s been a good run and an enjoyable show, so here’s to hoping everything wraps up in the best way possible for everybody.

7. Superhero says:

About time. Of course, the show should’ve ended when Michael left, if not sooner. But at least now we know they won’t keep running it out there for ten more seasons or something crazy like that. And hopefully the fact that both it and 30 Rock are ending makes it more likely that Parks & Rec and Community will get renewed; I’m at least reasonably confident that the former will.

8. Bea says:

They’re ending it a season too late. Also, Carell won’t return. He’s stated numerous times that he’s done with the show, no matter what.

9. Jaime says:

I hope they go to Colorado to see Michael, maybe to his and Holly’s wedding or the birth of their baby. That would be a nice way to bring him back.

• jenny says:

Another Michael said the same thing about Smallville, but he came back. I think if they found a decent storyline, Steve might come back. I don’t think it’s as necessary as Michael Rosenbaum was to Smallville. But I would always love to see more Michael Scott!! Who wouldn’t?!

10. Rebecca says:

Last episode should’ve been Michael’s last episode which was great, and when I stopped watching. Maybe they could bring the whole gang together for Holly and Michael’s wedding!

11. Arman says:

I never even thought about who is behind the doc. It’s not like HIMYM where there is a secret behind the storytelling. I’d love to see Michael and Holly though.

12. Chelsea says:

If Gabe isnt the Scranton Strangler, I’m going to be pissed.

• Tippy toeseys says:

Omg, I agree!! It’s GOT to be Gabe. He is so creepy.

Just watch it be Erin, though.

• zach says:

i think it might be roy, because he is returning for the second episode!

• Mike D. says:

I’m sure for a long time now that it’s Creed. “I’ve done a lot worse for a lot less,” he once said. The most obvious point was during the “Murder” episode, when he showed up late and was told he was a suspect in a (fictional) murder, he high-tailed it out of there. Yep, arrest him now!

13. Britta Unfiltered says:

I didn’t really have questions about the show that needed answering. This isn’t Lost. They’re giving themselves too much self-importance. I hope to enjoy the last season, though I am a little nervous about it. Creative risks can be a good thing in television shows, but they usually work best if they are done when a show is in its heyday or just starting out. When you’re doing creative risks in your final season, it usually just means you’ve run out of good ideas and the final season ends up falling miserably on its butt, leaving fans of the show with a bad taste in their mouth. But I’m not trying to sound troll-ey here, I honestly do wish them luck and hope they can end the show in a way that satisfies both the people who worked on the show and their fans.

14. Lisa. says:

I’m sad to read this. Yes, The Office hasn’t been at it’s best since Michael Scott left but there is still something about the show that made me watch week after week.

15. Haven’t watched it, but I think it’s great news, coz with 30 Rock also ending, Community has a much bigger chance of getting renewed :)

16. april-ann says:

Good. I don’t watch reruns past “The Job Part 2″, it’s the last ep of S3. For me the show peaked then and after that lost my interest. It’s a long rerun rotation but at least now there’ll only be one more season thrown into the mix.

17. Carrie says:

I’ll miss the show, but I suppose it’s time to end it. It’s going to be rough to lose “The Office”, “30 Rock” & “Fringe” all at once. I do wish Steve Carell would make one last appearance.

18. bobbyjoe says:

Showing us who’s filming the documentary is sort of like bringing out an actress to play Norm’s wife Vera on “Cheers” or having somebody show up to play Niles’ wife Maris on “Fraisier.” It’s much funnier if we’re allowed to imagine on our own, and some questions just don’t need answers.

The British version of the show knew this, but it’s clear the American version has really lost it’s path the last couple of seasons. To me, it sounds desperate to reveal things like the documentary people and the Scranton Strangler, promising “all questions will be answered” like we think this is “Lost” rather than “The Office.”

19. murley says:

i will miss the office. excited to see how they end it.

20. Matt says:

It’s been bothering me for a while thinking we wont get to see Michael and holly get married. I would like to see Phyllis get even.

21. Julio says:

I’m calling Mose Schrute as the Scranton Strangler. He’s not an important enough character to make looking back on past episodes creepy or distasteful (and as creepy as Gabe is, consider looking back on his episodes knowing he’s a killer — and besides, he’d have been missing from the office as Toby served on the trial, meaning the Strangler was caught). It doesn’t appear that Michael Schur is going to be in “The Farm.” And I don’t think we’ve seen Mose in the time that the Strangler was on trial. No other existing character can be put in this position without casting a pall on the series — not even Roy or Jan or anybody that’s been gone for some time. It’s weird that nobody in the office mentioned Mose’s arrest, but that can be explained by the documentary crew’s selective editing. I’m calling Mose. Can anyone see a hole in my theory?

• Amelia says:

We saw Mose in the season finale when Angela was chasing after Dwight in her car (after he stole the diaper). Mose was driving the decoy car that looked just like Dwight’s. So, it’s not him.

• CJ says:

yeh coz toby said he doesnt think the guy arrested was the actual strangler, so they guy theyve got isnt even him…so it could be anyone! but i hope its creed!

22. storaro says:

The Strangler is going to be Toby since he fits the bill and Paul Lieberstein is leaving for The Farm. This makes the show interesting again.

23. What questions to they have to answer? Except maybe ‘can it get any worse?’ Glad it’s ending, it has been overdue. Michael’s exit was great, but other than that I haven’t enjoyed it since season 5.

24. Jess says:

Devon will be the Scranton Strangler. Mark my words.

• demm says:

THANK YOU JESS! i’ve thought the exact same thing since first reading that the scranton strangler would be revealed.
      Only a minor role, he left – a disgruntled employee (in a trench coat).
      It couldn’t be anyone who’s played a bigger role (such as the many Toby and Gabe uggestions). Just wouldn’t seem right and it would affect the way the whoever series was viewed when watching it back.
      I think the past few seasons have played up Toby’s murder mystery obsession and Gabe’s gore fetishes in an attempt to draw suspicion.

• demm says:

..the WHOLE*** series…I meant to say! Damn text prediction!

• demm says:

I apologize – I was incorrect about Devon wearing a trench coat. Just watched the episode but noticed something interesting – and had it confirmed in an article: Devon’s outfit in the Halloween episode is the SAME outfit worn by Toby in Season 7 episode Costume Contest!!!!!
          That must mean something???

25. Steve says:

I’m tipping Hunter as the scranton Strangler!

26. simon says:

I’m somewhat relieved they have an end date. Like Daniels said they can let it blow up and it will be interesting.

27. TV Dude says:

Pam catches Jim making out with Karen and hooks back up with Roy. Then later admits to Jim that “their” second child just might be Roy’s due to an earlier unseen hook up between them.

28. pam bland says:

I hope it’s not a Jim & Pam break up. But the Scranton strangle could be anyone, remember Toby saying at the Dundie awards , that he wasn’t sure that they had convicted the right man.

29. Jonathan says:

The old weird guy is the strangler…i’m confused about Toby though

30. Priscilla says:

I wish the show could on forever!!! But I’m super excited to find out who the Scranton strangler is(more like confirm a suspicion, Gabe or Toby) and for this season period!! I hope Jim and Pam stay together forever and that Jim’s business ventures makes them super rich! Omg what about Michael and holly’s wedding?! I am going to be crying harder then I did when michael left! Maybe Robert California is the strangler!!!? He was so creepy and He did give a fake name to David wallace when he bought the company!
    The Office Fan for life!!

Beets,bears,battlestar galactica!<3

• Jerod Smith says:

“Miracle Sighted”
      The Office Finale

I’ve grown up near John Kransinskis grandmother before she passed, he came back for the funeral in Natrona Heights, PA a few years back. I’m not a show writer but I’m against looking for clues, sometimes the most complete logical thing is actually incomplete. M. Scott was a caring boss that ignited the show and carried it for years and most “office people” could relate to this because of the similarities between their co-workers and the characters in the show. Scott held it all together, but as time went on things began to tighten up, viewers felt more in touch/ in love with the show, however this made it difficult to spawn off in other directions thus having to take him off the show, loosens it up if you will. We can’t predict anything, (clues from past shows) he said/she said or even that’s what she said, but that’s the beauty in the show. We relate, we find it entertaining because of the similarities and once that captures us we have a relationship with it. We all need closure with the show and I agree with the writers that knowing the end is near allows for endless possibilities. That’s a good thing trust me. The beauty, magic, power whatever you want to call it, of any show is that it takes form like an hour class. It starts broad with less dense characters and plots, very generalized, then it tightens up, you feel connected then it slowly broadens itself again. That is what shapes a perfect show, a perfect life. It’s not the picky detail, it’s the holistic view of characters we come to know and love, we progress with them for a half hour or so every week and as we near the end we don’t want to let go. We wonder about what’s to come, how will they end up, who’s this or that, will he/she come back… the simple truth is, we will miss our T.V friends/family who entered our lives every week bringing us entertainment, who allowed us to laugh in-between shows with friends by quoting them or talking about scenarios, who gave us an escape from our daily lives which brought a sense of joy. I like entertainment, I think we need it to an extent; it’s our catalyst for imagination. I will miss the office, because despite what anyone says it was a success. It will leave a better entertainment world behind for having been aired.

31. oren says:

I love this show sad to see it go good wishes to everyone.