The Mentalist's Amanda Righetti Expecting First Child - Is Van Pelt Preggers Too?

Amanda Righetti The MentalistDoes Van Pelt have a bun in the oven?

The Mentalist‘s Amanda Righetti is expecting her first child this spring with husband Jordan Alan, which has prompted the usual speculation about her character’s future as a mom.

RELATED | Exclusive: Rome‘s Polly Walker Joins The Mentalist as New FBI Agent

TVLine can exclusively confirm that art will not imitate life in this case. Van Pelt will not be pregnant, and the show will shoot around Righetti’s baby bump.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Mentalist, Sons of Anarchy and More

It makes sense, considering the detective isn’t currently involved with anyone on the show. (But we were kinda hoping the littlest member of the Serious Crime team would be proof that Van Pelt and Rigsby’s against-the-rules relationship continued in secret — even from viewers.)

The Mentalist returns to CBS for Season 5 on Sunday, Sept. 30 at 10/9c.

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Awww congrats Amanda! I’m glad they aren’t working it into the show, I kind of wish they’d done the same thing when it came to the actress who played Sarah last season….

2. Ace says:

Good for her! And I completely agree re: Van Pelt and Rigsby. I completely lost interest in the show after those two broke up. I always meant to keep watching after that, but… *shrug*

3. Hope says:

Thanks so much for sharing the good news, Aus. I’m happy for Amanda. She seems like a genuinely sweet lady. :)

Also, I’d like to ask if you have any scoop on one of my absolute favorite characters on the show, besides Jane, of course – Lisbon? Or if not yet, could you get some? I have so many questions about her since that fab. finale last season.

4. zaza says:

Since they all ready did the surprise baby thing with Rigsby, I’m glad they are not going there with Van Pelt. Also, I’m so over Rigsby and Van Pelt as a couple. If they got them back together, they still would have the problem of them not being allowed to work together, so why travel that road again? I prefer them as teammates and friends.

5. mia says:

Congrats. And I’m glad they decided to work around it. I’m really not invested in the Rigsby/VanPelt story….give me more Lisbon! And I want Summer back.

6. Joy says:

Congratulations to Amanda and an OT Mentalist comment. Tonight is the 2nd time CBS have The Mentalist, Tuesday, following NCIS. What an excellent Tuesday schedule that would be if they put it there for the new season. I can dream can’t I?

7. Dark Defender says:

Besides, they will eventually find out Van Pelt has been a Red John diciple all along… Having a baby might ruin that image when they reveal it. If she isn’t working with RJ, then someone that easily and repeatedly duped should be off the force.

8. Elyse says:

i just want Van Pelt and Rigsby back together… NOW.

9. Lord voldemoert says:

Same they belong together

10. Bluedoggie70 says:

Like the Mentalist immensely, congrats to Amanda, and I am in the camp of Van Pelt and Rigsby coupling up again. Their characters, as written, seem meant for each other – rather conservative, value driven, with baggage.

11. Wendy Sloan says:

Van Pelt is “RED” headed and so far everything associated with Red John is RED

12. D Sharp says:

I think she may be Red John. Wouldn’t that be crazy! I don’t think we will ever find out who Red John us though because that would be the end of the show and most shows dont intentionally end.

13. Camille says:

I wish Cho’s character could expand into a social life.

• Kathy says:

I love Cho. His character has such a no-nonsense, deadpan quality. He is hilarious without even trying. I remember once he passed Rigsby as he was mooning over Van Pelt, and he said “you’re going to die alone, ” and just kept walking. I laughed my arse off . . .

He also read Wuthering Heights on a stake-out. lol

I wish he and Summer could have made a go of it. I loved Summer.

• PJ says:

Everybody is talking about everyone else, what about Lisbon and Jane? Sure would be interesting to see how they work out. However Rigsby and Van Pelt should be over and NO she is not RJ or one of his followers. Anybody really think she could kill a child or be involved in such an act?

14. Lindsay says:

I’ve noticed she’s gained some weight. She also seems to always be sitting down in the show, I guess to hide her bump!

• Kathy says:

I think it would have been funny to have Righetti do her normal lines, freely show her huge belly, but never acknowledge it. But have Jane (and other members of the cast) look at her belly weird once in awhile.

That would have been funny.

15. Jen says:

No she isn’t associated with Red John. That’s reaching. Really people.

16. matilyn says:

What commercial was Tim kang -pho in?

• Doug says:

Shell Oil Co. He was one of the 3 is white lab coats.

• Darcey says:

I just googled amanda rigetti, because as me and my husband sat down to watch the mentalist on 12/09/2012 and I looked at my husband and said OMG !!!! What is going on with Amanda because i noticed she had gained a lot of weight and even her face and arms looked LARGE !!!!! That is when i found out yep she is going to be a mom!!!

17. Carly says:

If it bleeds it leads was when I noticed she had put on a lot of weight so I googled and found this :) aww so lovely :). I am also in the van pelt and rigsby camp but have lost all hope now lol! Hmmm my brother has watched them all online and did say to me that Jane is closer to RJ than he thinks, I really hope this doesn’t mean Van Pelt is anything to do with it :(

18. Carly says:

I’m in the u.k so am a bit behind than the u.s

19. Tyra says:

Congrats to Amanda … I thought so after the increase weight … I wish they find a new story line for red John … They always get close

20. kiesha says:

Congrats Amanda…I had feeling about this. I’m prego as well n a big fan of the show . I can spot that prego nose n lips from anywhere . She looks great .

21. Lynn says:

Congrats Amanda, you look great. I am also for Van Pelt and Rigsby getting back together, they make a great pair. I would also like Lisbon to admit she’s in love with Patrick, its so obvious, just got for it Terry.

22. Kathy says:

Wow, I never thought of Van Pelt being a Red John disciple. It’s possible, but she appears way too strong-minded. Only those without their own minds and the weak follow Red John.

But then again, stranger things have happened.

I knew Amanda had to be pregnant due to her reduced role in the show and the fact that she is always sitting down.

23. Cherrey says:

I actually reached this article by using this keyword in google “is grace vanderpelt pregnant in mentalist season 5″ because I just noticed that her arms and torso were a little bigger.. and she always had to conceal her tummy with a case folder, her hands or the camera wont give her full body shot.. then she always had to wear a blazer… so my suspicion is right after all.. I am still rooting for her and Rigsby

24. mailuvsmyke says:

sorry, it should be van pelt not vanderpelt hehe

25. John says:

That explains why is she always apearing on the show sitting down on her chair. I must confess at the beginning i thought she was paraplegic.

26. Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post
    is amazing, great written and come with almost
    all significant infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

27. How about how much weight Tim Kang has gained. don’t think he is pregnant

• Red says:

I know! He was always in such great shape before, I noticed his weight gain and wondered what happened. Looking at him when he took off his suit jacket used to be a highlight of an episode for me. What has happened?

28. Karen littler says:

Yep grace is obviously pg now, she looks swollen poor thing but still pretty. And I noticed tonite how much heavier Cho is!! Wow!! Sympathy weight!! Still cute! I wish they would get a new story tho, I’m sick of Red John. Maybe throw a little crumb now n then but go several shows w no mention! I LOVE the show ESP Patrick and Teresa!! I think Cho and Rigsby are cute too! I liked Summer also!! Keep us guessing n keep the show ON!!

29. Mr .Paul says:

Interesting that they can’t write her out of the show… I always thought is would be a super twist if Red John turned out to be a woman.. Maybe it’s just the red hair… or is it?

30. Jeanie says:

I am so pleased for Van Pelt, a bay is always a lovely occasion – however, I did love the Rigsby and Van Pelt story – they were great, and then there is Jane and Lisbon, can they not let them kiss – they both need a it of romance – the mentalist is a brill show and I love it

31. scott says:

It is ridiculous the way they try to hide her enormous size in the show. It doesn’t work people!! Send her away for awhile as a storyline.

32. Enitan says:

Funny how they tried to hide her behind cartons. Like her character in the series although her gullibility is a turn off for me.

33. Louie says:

I love the mentalist show. I thought that Van Pelt must be pregnant because they were hiding her. I enjoy all the characters on the show but I too, am sick of the Red John story. They need to close in on him and get rid of his character. I think the show is good enough they could keep solving crimes and stay on the air w/o the Red John idea.

34. ben dover says:

they DID send her away, as several people have suggested…didn’t she go to FBI school in L.A. a while back…tonight’s episode, 3.17.13 marked her return…she hasn’t lost her pg chubbiness, but she is still one of the very few most beautirul women on t.v…along with christina hendricks on ‘madmen’…

35. Denise says:

I don’t see how they are going to write around it. She’s huge!

36. Sam says:

i too would like VanPelt and Rigsby together… and I also googled to find out if she was pregnant after noticing weight gain. Love this show, but am sick of Red John…thought we were done with him two summers ago… lets find him and move on…

37. bridgette says:

Every indication she is/was pregnant was given by the camera work. Congrats to her. We all know that the head of vision is intricately involved with red John bretts not clean

38. ebora says:

Yea I tot as much van pelt is preggo! Congrats2her in real life… bt if it were in d show I wld wish it were rigsby’s

39. Lee Montgomery says:

I don’t see Theresa and Jane together. Would much rather see her get more involved with Walter Mashburn. Haven’t seen him in quite awhile. Jane isn’t ready for a relationship. I would love to see Summer come back. I saw that she also had a baby last year when they showed her pregnant on the show. Cho and Van Pelt need to get a personal trainer!

40. Dan says:

Walter Mashburn is RJ !!!!!

41. Christina Lagoe says:

I canNOT believe how incredibly ignorant and rude people can be! Amanda is a beautiful woman who obviously had given birth. The way the show has tried to manage the conversion of her body back to its prepregnant state has been very tasteful. The way that I’ve read people describe Amanda’s appearance, such as enormous, has been completely appalling! I hope that every single one of you never gains too much, loses too much, is too tall, too short, too loud, too poor, too whatever – lest YOU be judged the way you judge others!!

42. quilterjo says:

Great comments Christina. We all need to be more sensitive to other’s appearances for whatever the reason. Well put. By the way, she looked great this week and I loved the ending of the show with her going back to her orriginal boyfriend.

43. two day diet says:

I took them every working day for your week straight, All over again I did not see an raise in power nor did I get the termo result of increased sweating or warmness in my body. What I did get was a 7.4lb fat loss in one particular week. that is terrific.

44. Jakob meesy says:

Funny thing. Stopped fancying her in the season where she was pregnant. She definitely looked different, took a few episodes to realise she was being placed behind stuff a lot and trigger the ‘she is pregnant or in a cast’ alert.Personally, i would rather have seen her written out for a series than become a max headroom character (head and shoulders only). It kind of ruins the show for me knowing that they are filming around her. If its all to be behind a desk then its not really her usual part in the series. It also proves that filming around her bump was far too easy to spot as I was definitely unaware of her pregnancy until I typed in ‘mentalist van pelt baby’ in google and ended up here. To make matters worse, once you realise that they are hiding her body behind anything and everything they can, it makes you realise that she is missing from scenes that she should be in elsewhere. Glad it all went well for her and the baby though, not posting here to be negative, just a general observation. Now I can un pause the show and get back to watching it.

• Mark. says:

TV programs can go to ridiculous lengths to hide/explain the pregnancy of the characters when the are not in a situation that would explain it within the plot. Look at Deep Space Nine, where they had a married character get pregnant (Mrs O’Brien) and then “transplanted” the baby to an unmarried character (Kira Nerys) to explain the fact that the unmarried actress playing the part was pregnant and single.

45. Celine says:

I was definitely wondering why we never saw her on the field anymore and why she kept wearing all these baggy clothes and we never saw her body anymore. Haha now it is all clear :)

46. Mark. says:

At least I know why she is always sat down now. I though maybe she (the actress) was ill or had been in an accident or something.
    A bun in the oven is better than the alternatives.

47. I’m worried that lisben is dead. She can’t be. Please don’t let her be dead.

48. Pat says:

I noticed that Van Pelt was starting to look fat and she was usually shown seated at her desk. Now I understand what was going on and why she was off the show for a while. She (I mean Amanda) was pregnant.

49. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very
    well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your
    useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

50. Very rapidly this website will be famous among all blogging viewers, due to it’s fastidious articles or reviews