Exclusive

Exclusive New Photos: The Beauty and Her Beast

If looking this beastly draws the interest of a beauty like that, well… Sign. Me. Up.

On the heels of The CW unveiling its official poster for Beauty and the Beast (premiering Thursday, Oct. 11 at 9/8c), TVLine has secured a first look at a pair of new pretty pictures featuring series leads Kristin Kreuk (Smallville) and Jay Ryan (Terra Nova).

VIDEO | Beauty and the Beast: Kristin Kreuk and Jay Ryan Preview a New Kind of Superman for The CW

TV’s new Beauty and the Beast stars Kreuk as Catherine Chandler, a New York City police detective who in the course of investigating a murder discovers Vincent Keller (Ryan, one of TVLine’s Fresh Faces for Fall), a onetime doctor who was reportedly killed while serving in Afghanistan but in truth is the living result of a military experiment gone awry, one which leaves him to turn into a feral man-beast when enraged.

But enough yakkity-yak from me. Look, photos!

1. Juli says:

Sadly, this show looks like a major FLOP

2. JR says:

At least the eye candy will be nice for the one season it will last.

3. Mena says:

So, neither of the photos shows the Beast looking like an actual….beast? LOL, the CW should just rename the show Beauty and the Beauty!

4. Luu says:

Can’t stop thinking about her as stupid Lana Lang!

• dude says:

You mean awesome, way better than Lois Lane, Lana Lang.

• S says:

And when you say awesome, you really mean a whingeing, crying, attention-seeker, right? Lana Lang to the core.

• Watcher says:

I’m sorry, are you describing Lana or yourself? Lana haters sure are whiny and attention seekers and it’s funny how you all are acting like Lana’s only one that complains lol so maybe she did complain quite a bit but my gosh, with everything she had been through how can you people whine about that? yeah, she’d only been through her parents death, meteor freaks, tornado, explosions, being stomped by a horse, Lex, Brainiac, other psycho’s… I can’t even count them all… so really with this and the emotional crap she’d been through it only makes sense and if anything she’s a hero for being able to top all of that.

• Ann says:

Haha, yea because she’s the only one who suffered from turmoil on the show. She was ‘poor Lana’ with so many problems from start to end. A hero is someone who rises from adversity which is why Lana Lang is not and will never be a hero because she chose to be a victim right till the end. And FYI, choosing to don a suit so she could be seen as a hero is probably the least heroic act of all because she believed that power is only physical. Goes to show how she deals with everything.
            There is nothing attention seeking about people who dislike Lana. Everyone got what they were meant for and it speaks for itself that Lana became a human kryptonite.

• Crazies says:

Kind of creepy how its been over 2 years and some people are still hung up on Lana enough so to take the time to respond to a article not related to Smallville, but the actress who played Lana.

• MJ says:

Lana was anything but stupid, as a High School Freshmen, at 15 she was running a coffee shop and looking over her senior boyfriend’s English homework. Sit down.

5. Drew says:

They should call the show “Beauty and the Female Police Officer”

Which kinda sounds like I’m into the dude playing Vincent (I’m not), but it’s really just a reference to the fact that their “Beast” looks like an underwear model.

Kristin is looking good as ever though (man points restored!)

6. sara says:

I loved Lana Lang and I’m gonna love this show. Seems 10x better than TSC

7. Linda says:

Am I suppose to guess which one is the Beast? They really need to ‘fix’ him to look more *beastly* looking.

8. corry says:

Ppl he turns into a beast when angry. Yes he’s hot when he’s not a beast but we know he DOES turn into a horrid beastly creature. Stopp acting like he doesnt

• Drew says:

The reason why this is such a joke is because he’s supposed to just be a beast. This isn’t a Hulk or Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story. In the original, the whole point of the character was that he was a beast on the outside. That was his curse. The producers of this new show have said that the point of this character is that he’s a beast on the inside… completely missing the point. Why bother with a remake? Why not just make a Hulk series or a Jekyll/Hyde series if the very core and purpose of the story is going to be changed?

I’m not usually one to complain about remakes altering aspects of a story, but the whole point of a remake is to expand on the core idea and themes, not simply to cash in on the brand name of something that people liked… those shows always fail.

• dude says:

I get you, I really do. But this really isn’t a remake or reboot as it is adopting a premise and using the name for brand recognition. Similar to what Nikita did with Le Femme Nikita and that show is amazing.

• Drew says:

But they specifically used the 1980’s series as their foundation, when they could have simply used the name without tying it to that series at all. The 80’s show itself was simply using the fairy tale name to tell a modern story. By connecting it to that show, with those characters, they are creating an expectation.

I didn’t like the new Nikita show, so I don’t watch it. But as long as Nikita is still a rebellious spy type person, I think the core of the character is still there. In the case of B&B, they are taking the Beast and turning him into a “Dudes of the CW” calendar model.

• xav says:

Was the fact that he was a beast on the inside not the entire point of every adaptation of the story?

• Drew says:

Umm… No. He’s not supposed to be a beast on the inside. That would just make him a monster. The whole point was that he was a beast on the outside and the romantic lead on the inside.

• Josh says:

Amen to this! This doesn’t need to be Beauty and the Beast.

• So he’s Doctor Jeckyll and Mr Hyde? Why not call the show that if that’s what it is?

• Josh says:

The point of the “Beast” character in Beauty and The Beast is he’s always a beast. It’s not “Beauty and the Hot Guy Who Turns into a Beast When He’s Angry” or “Beauty and the Hulk Were-Wolf Creature”…that’s the problem.

9. where’s the beast? all I see is two beauties. is he hiding somewhere?

10. Sarah says:

Kristin looks good but it’s hard to believe her as police officer. Anyway, hope this show goes well for her because I really don’t want to remember her as Lana Lang with a ‘powersuit’ forever *shudder*

11. Mark says:

Kristen Kreuk is so overrated. Definitely the beast IMO.

12. dude says:

I hate when people say cute, skinny girls can’t be police officers. My sister is a cop and she’s a beautiful, 100 pound, 5’4 bubbly blonde. Cute girls can be tough too.

• Renee says:

Yeah my sister is a really hot slim cop who just happened to be top gun in her class at the police academy. Tough women rock!

13. easy says:

Kristin is a excellent actress and just jaw dropping gorgeous. Here is hoping for a 10 year run….:)

• Sarah says:

Yes, especially her acting in Street Fighter. She deserves an Emmy for skill….NOT!! As for a 10 yr run, she will be lucky if it makes one year.

• easy says:

:lol You read up on most of the directors who worked with Kristin,they really give her a lot of praise. She’s been in the business for over a decade, and everything she is in always creates buzz….. Case in point this show. Hope she overcomes her bashers as usual, she seems to get a lot of work in spite of them. It just makes them more angry since Smallville. Like a said hoping for a 10 year run, at least…lol.

• Sara says:

Most directors don’t really say anything bad about the actresses they work with if they want their movie or show to succeed. I’m going by what critics have said and it’s mostly the opposite.
          People are allowed to have an opinion and just because I disagree with you doesn’t mean I’m bashing Kristin. It’s so easy for people to pull out the bashing card when they hear something they don’t like. I have nothing to be angry with her for ‘since Smallville’….actually I’m thankful she left when she did. I like Kristin, I dislike Lana but I’m smart enough to distinguish the difference between the two.
          This is her first proper lead since Smallville but maybe im not clued up to ‘everything she’s been in creating buzz’.

• Watcher says:

Street Fighter is a very flawed movie (if to put it kindly), if anything KK is the most decent thing about it… anyway, that’s 1 bad movie and who doesn’t have one in Hollywood? now watch her “Chuck” episodes and “Partition” and I wanna see you telling us she’s not talented. I dare ya.

• Sarah says:

I have watched the episodes she was in Chuck and she can act – kinda of a requisite if you’re in the business but she is still over rated. I’ve watched her from day 1 in Smallville and she was passable. Her looks carried her through and with incredible actors such as Alison Mack, she struggled.

• Watcher says:

Kristin Kreuk is an amazing actress so maybe you can’t see it, but that’s your loss really… to many of us she’s awesome! plenty of times she got crappy materiel from SV and actually made it better, her tears are like no other, she can nail a scene without even saying a word because her face always says so much and with the way she expresses herself though looks and words made me always believe in Lana’s heartbreak and pain. KK is the best actress on SV [and one of the best out there in general IMO] and KK & TW played off each other like no other, their last scene “Requiem” is absolutely heartbreaking that even some usual haters I remember actually praising their acting. Basically: totally disagree with you there and to me, as great actress as Allison Mack is, she does feel somewhat overrated.. oh, well… I suppose it’s all in the eye of the beholder after all.

14. “one which leaves him to turn into a feral man-beast when enraged.” for the love of God. Don’t make him angry, we wouldn’t like him when he’s angry… urgh. Good grief.

15. Winter says:

Kreuk is gorgeous, as always. I’m kind of surprised she wanted to come back to the CW. I imagined her being more like Amy Acker and doing guest spots on shows.

16. Paris says:

Saw it at comic con and I actually liked it. Can’t wait to see more. KK deff pulls off bad ass cop and for ppl wondering about the beast he does turn into 1. Its pretty disturbing in 1 scene where he’s morphing into the beast as he’s filled with rage. The pretty boy is gone!

17. Brandy says:

These are great pics, they both look great in them.Ill chevk this show out.

18. lame says:

The premise sounds like the “incredible hulk”, or is it the incredible beast. The merger of two old tv series, wonder if this will work or not.

19. Dani says:

Oh my GOD he’s HIDEOUS! Couldn’t the CW have prettied him up some? Given him a delicate facial imperfection? This is just too much.

20. joe says:

i can believe her to be a detective about as much as i believe Rachel Bilson is a doctor. i would of rather had another season of the secret circle

21. Josh says:

22. Stephanie says:

Wow, Kristin Kreuk looks amazing! Hotness!

23. Zai says:

[Um have you seen his scar? He has a SCAR! That makes him hideous. Plus he’s wearing shoes without socks, that’s just gross.]

[where’s the beast? all I see is two beauties. is he hiding somewhere?]

[BEAST! Someone put a stop to this hideous creature with a scar! How dare they let such a thing with a SCAR on his face. IMPERFECTION! Not on the CW, you MONSTER!!!]

The sarcastic comments about the beast like this, are the most fun about getting news on Beauty and beau, LOL. We are always entertained.

24. Ale says:

I came later to the Smallville fandom and you know what I was lucky because I didn’t have to sit through all the hate some fans have for Lana, I watch the show without being biased something a lot of fans should have done. Now Kristin is in a new show and some of the Smallville fans seem to forget that KK is not Lana so they come here and write hateful things in articles that are specially made for those who are fans of her or the show. Seriously why bother with something that you hate, if I don’t like an actor/tress or a show I don’t go to their sites or look for news about them.

• UsedToLoveLanaLang says:

It’s not really hatred, that’s a pretty strong word to use. I think some were perplexed that she decided to leave ‘Smallville’ to pursue an ‘acting career’, feeling she was going to go on to bigger and better things.

When she and Michael Rosenbaum decided they had enough of being on ‘Smallville’, the show, which was really promising at that time, then nose dived and never recovered. Both their characters were crucial to the ‘Smallville’ series and the show couldn’t continue on the course it could have and should have.

So I think that’s why so many people were upset.

Look her up on IMDB. It’s kind of interesting.

25. rachelle says:

KK’s body kinda looks photoshopped and unnatural in the second pic. and i’ll probably check out a few episodes before i decide whether to write this show off or not. i love fairy tales and i like this new take on Beauty and the Beast. i would also love to see the Beast looking like… you know, a Beast. can someone relay this message to CW? cause i’ve seen 4 promo pics already and he’s never been really Beastly (minus the scar).

• Watcher says:

Watch the attack clip, Subway clip and the extended preview again, seriously, you can see his Beastly side and I don’t mean just in the face, the guy has a temper lol

26. Watcher says:

Guys, so what if he doesn’t look really ugly, what if he kills people? what if he’s ripping people apart? you all are looking at the outside and ignoring the inside :P

27. Jared says:

Not sure what demo CW is trying to reach with this series..i dont see it being a hit..but because of its timeslot behind TVD..i can see it getting a full season..then being cancelled like Secret Circle.

28. Shel says:

Ron Perlman’s saying WTF? That’s not a beast! ;-)

29. me says:

Kristin Kreuk is amazing..

30. Superhero says:

The CW really needs to lift their ban of ugly people on their network.

31. Pat says:

Damn Kristin Kreuk looks good.

32. Summer says:

To be fair, it’s probably cheaper for them to do the scar than do the full fledged Beast make-up or CGI.

It’s not a good excuse, but yeah.

33. Emily says:

To be fair, I’ve seen the pilot, and Jay Ryan’s full-on beast mode is more than just a scar. But I didn’t like the pilot, so that detail doesn’t really change anything for me.

34. violet says:

i have to admit…. this show’s gonna be a guilty pleasure for me…
    i love love stories…romance…

Its so easy to look at both of them. Hope this show makes it!

35. arial2 says:

Please, just beware of hiring Stephen McHattie as a guest star. Last time he appeared (in the original series), things ended very badly for Catherine Chandler. ; )

36. Michelle says:

This show is gonna rock!!! And to all of you haters (most of you are insecure Clois fans) GO AND ROT IN HELL!!! :D

37. joy says:

I loved the original and hope that this show will be available in Australia so I can watch and compare :)

I’m wondering if they’ll also use the song ‘The First Time I loved Forever’

38. UsedToLoveLanaLang says:

LMAO! Kristin Kreuk left ‘Smallville’ to pursue her ‘acting career’, did just about nothing memorial, and ended right back where she started.

She’s nice to look at, her acting is eh.

The male character in this story is supposed to be hideous looking, they added some lame scar to his face and suddenly, no one would ever dare look at him! Ha haha!

Stay in KK Canada (America Jr.) and keep yourself on their lame TV shows.

39. UsedToLoveLanaLang says:

I wrote ‘memorial’ and meant to write ‘memorable’.

40. ARIELLE WANG says:

i watch beauty and the beast and i really like it, the story the cast. Many people here in the philippines watch beauty and the best.

41. ARIELLE WANG says:

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST BEST TV SERIES.I REALLY LOVE THE TANDEEM OF KRISTINE KREUK AND JAY RYAN.MORE POWERS TO THE CAST AND CREW.

42. ARIELLE WANG says:

I LOVE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST ON ETC.