Good Wife, Numb3rs Producer Tony Scott Dead at Age 68 of Apparent Suicide

Get More: In Memoriam

Tony ScottProlific TV and film producer-director Tony Scott, whose small screen credits included Numb3rs and The Good Wife, died Sunday afternoon of an apparent suicide. He was 68.

According to The Daily Breeze, Scott jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, CA. He reportedly left a suicide note inside his car, which was parked on the bridge. (UPDATE: Scott’s family is reportedly denying a claim made by ABC News that he had inoperable brain cancer.)

Although best known for directing big screen blockbusters Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Crimson Tide, and Beverly Hills Cop II, Scott (alongside brother Ridley via their L.A.-based Scott Free Productions) branched out into television in 2005 as a producer on CBS’ Numb3rs. Four years later, the Scott brothers launched CBS’ The Good Wife. Their A&E miniseries Coma is scheduled to premiere in September.

“One of the brightest lights in the industry has gone out,” read a statement from CBS. “Tony was an accomplished creative and passionate producer and director. As an executive producer of Numb3rs, and most recently, The Good Wife, he was a longtime friend of CBS, and we are deeply shocked and saddened over this loss.  Our thoughts and condolences go out to his family.”

Numb3rs creators Cheryl Heuton and Nick Falacci called Scott “an extraordinarily creative force and an inspired, supportive leader,” adding, “The series would not have made it to air without him. His vision and enthusiasm touched everyone who worked with him. Our thoughts are with his family.”

David Krumholtz, who starred alongside Rob Morrow on the Friday night procedural, penned a tribute to Scott on Twitter Sunday. “He was wild and big and crazy and uncontrollable and he gave it his all, every moment, because he believed in his crew, his cast, and the show,” he wrote. “It saddens me that something inside him told him to take his incredible life spirit away from us, from the film making community. May he rest in peace. What a great dude.”

Comments (39)

• “Scott jumped to his death to his death” makes no sense

Comment by amoeba – August 19, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? You’re correcting the effing article? Incredibly unnecessary.

This news is so sad to hear. Thinking about his family and hoping they can find peace eventually.

Comment by Jess – August 19, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously all you got out of the article was a typo?

Comment by Jake – August 19, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • why do people get mad when someone points out a typo ? there is nothing wrong with expecting an article to be correctly written. and the purpose of pointing out a typo is not to be a smart***, but to get it corrected. no one said the news isn’t sad, no one insulted the writer for missing a typo (everyone makes mistakes, it’s ok as long as they are willing to correct them), so I really don’t understand what your problem is.

Comment by bluefairy – August 20, 2012 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because its a post about someone’s DEATH you. Have a little compassion and show off your smarts at a more appropriate time.

My condolences to Scott’s family :(

If anyone is thinking about suicide, please contact a suicide prevention group.

Comment by Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) – August 20, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because it’s irritating, and usually done disrespectfully. And people seem so proud to show off their mastery of their sixth grade spelling skills… and their vindictive streak. In a discussion, it’s a signal that the responder is out of their depth with the actual subject, and that’s all they can contribute. In an article like this, they fail to understand that this isn’t the NYT, where much better paid people (I know in this case, it Ausiello, but usually it’s freelance) have time to write stronger, longer articles that are then passed through two layers of editing.

Comment by Temperence – August 20, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If that’s what’s irritating to you, then you should be able to understand why sloppy writing and editing is irritating to others. Why is your irritation more legitimate than theirs?

Comment by TV Gord – August 20, 2012 09:55 AM PDT
        • I agree with bluefairy. This is a professionally-run website and readers should expect professional prose. I wish more people pointed out typos/grammar errors, etc.

Comment by JenInChicago – August 20, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly. Pointing out a ridiculous typo is all the more appropriate when it is an article about someone’s death. Do a little spell checking before posting, it’s not too much to ask. No one who commented on the error was being rude or disrespectful to the subject matter, so get off your moral high horse. All bickering aside, it’s sad news. Well wishes to the friends and family of Mr. Scott.

Comment by tripoli – August 20, 2012 02:39 PM PDT
  • Holy cow! That’s crazy. Although I definitely prefer his brother’s work, Tony did some great work, especially if you’re a fan of action films. This is really surprising…

Comment by cinephilactic – August 19, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How horrible. Rest in Peace, and I hope he found some.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – August 19, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heartbreaking, and my heart does go out to his friends and family as we all celebrate his memory, and the amazing tv he brought us.

Comment by Colleen – August 19, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so incredibly sad. My thoughts are with his family, as they now have to try to come to terms with this. I’ve been there, and it isn’t easy.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – August 19, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Tony Scott for all the hours of brilliant film and television. My heart goes out to your family. RIP

Comment by Nancy – August 19, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tony Scott is one of my Producing heroes. I hope to one day be half as good at his job as he was. I’m honestly in such shock because I admire him so much. Thank you, Tony, for contributing some of the best television of our time to the world. Rest in Peace.

Comment by Rob – August 19, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved his work. His creative genius will be missed. My condolences to his family.

Comment by Pipper segall – August 19, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally speechless atm.
    Rip Tony.

Comment by Polly – August 19, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P.

Comment by darcywilson – August 19, 2012 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P.

Comment by ingmarhappy – August 20, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Tony… You gave us The Good Wife and we’ll be always thankful for that!!!

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – August 20, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just horrible. Proves depression can reach anyone.

Comment by Keenan – August 20, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(

Comment by megalion – August 20, 2012 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first reaction to this was, “Wait, THAT Tony Scott?” He still seemed to be at the top of his game. Very shocking.

Comment by aleksa – August 20, 2012 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart aches for this wonderful human being who gave us decades of film and tv entertainment. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and twin sons, his family, friends, and everyone who worked with him. Based on the tweets being posted, he inspired and encouranged many people in the business over many many years. RIP. You work will live on but you will be sorely missed.

Comment by tvdiva – August 20, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband has been a huge fan for years. He won me over with The Good Wife. What a tragedy for his family and for all of us as viewers. I hope he is at peace and pray his family will be able to find peace too. This is such a waste.

Comment by Bobbi – August 20, 2012 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I am shocked! His work was always entertaining and Numb3rs remains one of my favorite TV shows. So sad.

Comment by Carrie – August 20, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad news. R.I.P.

Comment by Lorie – August 20, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone else think of that scene from Seinfeld where Larry David in a cape saves the woman from jumping? LOL

Comment by Zach – August 20, 2012 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How awful, he was such a prolific talent in both film (True Romance, Spy Game, Man on Fire) and TV (The Good Wife). He will be missed, RIP.

Comment by Saint Alicia – August 20, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its unfortunate that with all the accomplishments, and all the people he’s helped and touched in the film/tv industry…he felt so empty to the point where he would do this. Just truly unfortunate. May his soul R.I.P :(

Comment by llws88 – August 20, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P Tony Scott

Comment by CoronaAdvances – August 20, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shocking!! I’m definitely gonna miss this guy. He gave me Numbers, Beverly Hills Cop II and Top Gun. I especially loved Numbers!! RIP Tony.

Comment by Justin – August 20, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s heart-breaking that there are people in such despair that death seems like a better alternative. My sympathies to his family and friends.

Comment by Bella – August 20, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I once read that Cheryl Hueton (Executive Producer of Numb3rs) said that the pilot would never have made it to air without the assistance of Tony and Ridley Scott. Top Gun was one of the great movies of my teenage years. My condolences to Tony’s wife, children, brother, and other family members.

Comment by Andrea – August 20, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To some it may sound terrible or senseless about suicide, but not so to someone with a terminal illness. Waiting for emminent death and deterioration of all ther abilities and capacites, its worse than death itself. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP

Comment by tahina – August 20, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely, tahina! If the reports are true that he had terminal brain cancer, I completely support his choice to end his life on his own terms. I just wish we would grow up about ending one’s own life and find more humane ways to let people do it.

Comment by TV Gord – August 20, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The latest news is he wasn’t suffering from terminal brain cancer. Hmm, maybe they out to make that netting higher. That was the same bridge my son jumped from. After years of depression from this, I have now just gotten cynical. Maybe they met each other on the way down. Now all that’s left is for his family to suffer the fallout.

Comment by just another day in paradise – August 20, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I’m impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I deal with such info much. I used to be looking for this certain information for a very lengthy time. Thank you and good luck.

Comment by the walking dead – November 4, 2012 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post