Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

Can a show win the Emmy Award in a particular category for 10 consecutive years? We’ll find out come Sept. 23, when The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
 tries to add one more statuette to its nine-year streak as Oustanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series.

There’s certainly a long line of bridesmaids waiting for a chance at Emmy glory. Of the five other programs in the race, Real Time With Bill Maher
is now up to its eighth straight nomination, The Colbert Report is at No. 7, and Saturday Night Live (a winner in this category in 1993 and 1976) is back in the hunt for the fifth year running.

The new kids on the block, relatively speaking, are Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
 (nominated last year for the first time, and back again in 2012) as well as Jimmy Kimmel Live
 (which joins the race for the first time this year).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. JustMy2Cents says:

I have taken to watching The Daily Show on DVR the morning after for the last few months (used to watch when I could, but not often) and I have to say – it’s genius. It’s consistent, it’s enlightening, it’s well-written and intelligent. They’re doing good work every single day.

• noa says:

amen!! everyday, when i get home after work, the first 20 minutes are dedicated to watching The Daily Show online (the one from the night before). it never disappoints!

2. kate says:

For me, the only one who comes close to The Daily Show is The Colbert Report. I rarely find Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon funny at all, Saturday Night Live has funny moments but is too inconsistent to win. I haven’t watched Bill Maher as much, but I don’t think it’s as consistent as Jon Stewart’s show either.

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

The Daily Show always manages to bring it, 4 times a week. Colbert Report does that too, but not quite to the extent Daily Show does. How the freak did Bill Maher sneak into this category? I consider myself to be a liberal, but I can’t stand that guy. He is the Rush Limbaugh of liberalism, and shouldn’t be allowed to have a voice on television.

4. AJ says:

Craig Ferguson, oh wait…

5. Alexis says:

I’m not usually one to say that a regular Emmy winner should give someone else a chance, but the Daily Show continually trumping The Colbert Report is actually a mystery to me. Colbert is the king of late-night comedy!
    If anything he should totally win next year for his genius ripping of the Romney’s dressage ‘horse ballet’ hobby.

6. Karen says:

The Daily Show are a sure-fire win yet again – and it is truly deserved. But I would love seing Late Night with Jimmy Fallon get it this year. Fallon has truly made the show his own, and cannot be compared to any other late-night talk-show, who all are starting to remind me of each other

7. ellieopal says:

Fallon and Colbert make me laugh out loud more than the others. But I think Fallon should win this year. His show is so creative and I have so much fun watching it. He puts on a great show every single night.

8. Lauren says:

Since Craig Ferguson isn’t an option I’ve got to go with The Daily Show.

9. forwarddad says:

Why is Craig not n

10. Angela says:

Echoing the others here about Craig, it’s criminal how he’s constantly overlooked by the Emmys.
    At least I can agree with Stewart and Colbert being nominated. I voted for Colbert, simply because Stewart has won so many times, but ultimately I love both shows and will be happy if either one of them win.

11. Bender says:

Disappointed that Craig Ferguson or Conan didn’t make it into this category, so I hope it goes to Colbert or Jon Stewart.

12. AR says:

How is Fallon nominated and not Craig Ferguson?