Emmys

Emmys 2012: What Should Win Outstanding Reality Show Competition? Take Our Poll!

emmys 2012 reality competitionThere are few certainties in life. The sun rises in the east. Two plus two equals four. Ryan Seacrest is working harder than you are. And with just one exception, The Amazing Race can’t lose the Emmy race for Outstanding Reality Show Competition.

Yes indeed, since the Emmys first introduced the category in 2003, CBS’ globetrotting adventure series has won eight times — only relinquishing the statuette once, in 2010, to Bravo’s Top Chef.

Can TAR continue its domination in 2012? Its old nemesis Top Chef will attempt another surpsise attack, while a pair of perennial bridesmaids — Dancing With the Stars (nominated for the seventh straight year) and Project Runway (now on nomination No. 8) — will try to break their respective losing streaks.

Rounding out the field are So You Think You Can Dance (in the running for the second year in a row), and one newcomer, NBC’s buzzy singing competition The Voice (which bumped American Idol off the list of nominees for the first time in the history of the category).

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Vivi says:

So you think you can dance…dance…dance.

2. Eric says:

The Amazing Race has never failed at keeping me on the edge of my seat.

3. Tim says:

How did The Voice get nominated? It was awful.

Don’t watch most of these shows, but I’d go with Project Runway. It’s still consistently entertaining.

• Sha says:

While some of the contestants were certainly awful, The Voice was a ratings powerhouse this season. Good or bad, it got people to watch

4. OOO says:

RuPaul drag race is the best reality show in tv right now.

5. Larc says:

How about none of the above? They’re all mostly boring, IMO.

6. Sarah says:

I know the ratings sucked, but I really loved The Glass House. It was aired poorly but if you followed the web site and live feeds at all, it was a real gem.

7. Lily says:

I’m glad to see Top Chef didn’t come in dead last. But that’s my vote. I guess I’m bored with SYTYCD and Idol (although Idol is not on your poll) and the only other show I watch is DWTS. The Voice was dull as dishwater this year and the winner was a travesty. So my vote goes to Top Chef where the winner actually deserves to win.

• ben says:

Top Chef is great every season, butthis season was one of the absolute best. It can never win a poll like this because not enough watch it. But it ought to win the emmy.

8. s says:

I love Project Runway!

9. nick1372 says:

Dancing with the Stars is at least mildly entertaining. My vote’s for it.

I would have liked to see Hell’s Kitchen, Masterchef, Wipeout, and Who’s Still Standing nominated. Very well done shows.

10. King says:

Why people watch 4 hours a week of DWTS is beyond understanding.

11. davey says:

SYTYCD and The Amazing Race are the only two shows I watch from this batch – so my vote of course went to So You Think You Can Dance!!!

12. Alan says:

there shouldnt be an emmy for reality tv, its supposed to be about celebrating good tv

13. Rob R says:

The shocking nomination of the wretched “The Voice” is the stunner here. The best competition shows are “Amazing Race” and “Project Runway.”

14. The thing is, The Amazing Race is actually an awesome show. It makes you *feel* things. Also, it’s not like people or judges vote for the winner and it’s completely unfair. For you to win, you actually need to have some merit. Of course, there are bad cab drivers, lost luggage/clues casualities, but, mostly, when you win it, you deserved it, even if you’re a jerk!

That’s why it’s won eight times. It’s the only reality I watch.

• nick1372 says:

I can make you a whole list of shows that make you feel things and/or have deserving winners: Masterchef, Wipeout, Shark Tank, Who’s Still Standing, Escape Routes, and more. And that’s only the ones with competition. What about Secret Millionaire, Undercover Boss, Who Do You Think You Are?, Kitchen Nightmares, and the Extreme Makeover franchise? All very well done feel-good shows. You should give other shows a chance.

15. forwarddad says:

The quality of AR has gone down considerably. Less emphasis on the challenge and More on personalities has made it just like every other reality show.

16. Ali says:

No doubt for me..The Amazing Race. It’s first Emmy win is what kept it on the air and I have never been disappointed in the show (even Family Edition had its perks). Hoping for another win this year.

17. Luke says:

I don’t get it. How can those voters vote for the same show year after year. ARace has been declining in past years where the challenges are either dumb or so impossible its like watching people being tortured. Several of these other shows deserve the Emmy. I think DWTStars should get it. That is a very well produced show packed with entertainment. Tom Bergeron is also the best host – why Probst gets the Emmy constantly makes no sense. Frankly, even though I watch SYTYCD yearly, Lythgoe’s ego is too big as it is so that doesnt need to win. And P Runway has never won? It’s goofy.

18. Jermey says:

Don’t understand why Survivor isn’t nominated anymore. Sure, the last few seasons were pretty bad (although last season was good) but It wasn’t even nominated for their best seasons ever (16 and 20). imo, even on their worst seasons, Survivor is still one of the best reality shows out there.

19. Chelle says:

I continue to watch Top Chef, Amazing Race, and Project Runway, and think the first two are very strong. (As much as I still enjoy PR, I think its suffered from over-the-top personalities, too many team challenges, judging inconsistencies, and a disconnect between how the fashion looks on the TV to how it appears on the runway.)

I give the slight edge to Top Chef, which not only continues to be consistently strong & makes for great TV, but gives a nice boost to up-and-coming chefs. (I’ve eaten at about half a dozen of the cheftestant’s restaurants and had fabulous meals at all of them.)

20. Jeff says:

I’m hoping for a Masterchef nomination next year. Great show!

21. JustMy2Cents says:

I really enjoyed this season’s newly formatted The Next Food Network Star. And Design Star, for that matter.

22. j says:

I think that TAR will win again this year. Because it is the only real reality competition show on tv today. The others are nothing more and popularity contests period!

23. Dan says: