Exclusive

Exclusive Bunheads First Look: Watch a Finale Dance Number Starring SYTYCD Alum Kent Boyd

Bunheads completes its summer run Monday at 9/8c, and we’ve got your exclusive first look at a major dance number in the finale featuring So You Think You Can Dance alum Kent Boyd.

Boyd — who in recent weeks has guest-starred on the ABC Family charmer — takes the lead opposite Prima ballerina Sasha in a Michelle-choreographed twist on The Nutcracker. But will Fanny approve of the fresh moves?

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Reveals 12 ‘A’-Team Suspects

Press PLAY below to find out, and then scroll down a bit further for some photos from the episode. Oh, and THIS JUST IN: ABC Family has ordered more episodes!

Loading video...
TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Finales, First Look, Video

1. Tami Fletcher says:

I hope they renew..It is a great show!!

2. Lou says:

They should renew, that’s for sure.

• D. Warner says:

Like bunheads alot ! LOVE ALL THE FORMER GILMORE GIRLS character actors! So good to see them ! Bunheads is fun to watch!

3. L says:

We haven’t missed an episode. Love it.

4. Kirsten says:

I have watched every episode and love it. ABC Family shouldn’t cancel it!

5. Lauren says:

I hope they renew it, it’s a fun show.
    What are the ratings like? Is it likely to get renewed or not?

6. mdaily says:

I like the dance: it’s got a Mia Michaels, SYTYCD vibe to it. But why is Sasha just standing on the table while all the men are dancing on the floor? Shouldn’t she be doing some dance moves on the table?

• ktbanks says:

Lol. That’s what I thought! I’ve never seen the show (I watched this because of Kent! So happy for him!), but I’m guessing the lead actress maybe isn’t as strong technically. I could be totally off base since I’ve never watched the show, but judging by that “watch over the proceedings for half of the dance” move, I’m probably not far off…

• em says:

She’s actually a very talented dancer. Probably the best on the show for technical ballet expertise (because of course, Sutton is amazing in tap/more Broadway related dance). It’s probably the more minimalist part of the Nutcracker with Clara more overwhelmed by the gigantic dancing rats. Or wall-street guys, in this case :).

7. Lorie says:

I really hope it gets renewed!

8. Brianne says:

I hope they renew!! My whole family watches including my brothers!!

9. smithdewey says:

Renew! Good for the ailments of Gilmore Girls withdrawal. We call the star “Cable-Lorelai”

10. Joe Smith says:

This is a GREAT show and it should be kept. I don’t think any part of the show (comedy, music, dance, storylines etc) is lacking. It is perfect entertainment

11. Garance says:

Although there are other elements added to it, it seems to me that a lot of that choreography is very reminiscent of a Kurt Jooss piece, “The Green Table.”

• Maybe that’s what I’m thinking of. I swear I’ve seen a movie or a play or something with a very similar scene but I couldn’t not put my finger on it. Not sure when I would’ve seen it. Most likely either a school field trip or doing something with family :)

• Eliza says:

Garance, I didn’t see your comment when I made a similar one about “The Green Table.” A great ballet. Too bad it’s not performed very often.

• Kevin says:

The Green Table was the first thing I thought of when I saw this episode. I have seen The Green Table performed a couple of times and must admit that I’m not really a fan, though the Joffrey Ballet is staging it this upcoming season and their performance truly is about the best one that’s out there.

12. MammaMia says:

I hope ABC Family renews it. The show has steadily improved as it gained its footing. I want to see more of the story.

13. marsha says:

Its a great show. And to be able to see a Broadway talent like Sutton Foster on TV for free is amazing!! They must keep it, can’t take another “Gilmore Girl” like disappointment.

14. This show totally deserves and NEEDS a renewal – one of the best things on TV!

15. Babybop says:

I’m hoping for a renewal.

16. Please renew this show! It has only gotten better. TV needs more quality shows like this. ABC Family, listen to the fans and we promise to watch! Thank you :)

17. abbyjo says:

i hope the show gets a renewal because i’d like to see it find its footing, but i won’t be heartbroken if it doesn’t get re-upped. honestly, the show has felt uneven and rushed since ep 1. i watch with my mom, and often times we just look at each other like, “where did that come from?” i told her last week that it felt as if some of the scenes were written as comic strip panels – like stand alone vignettes that have nothing to do whatsoever with any of the storylines – and it’s not quirky and endearing, it’s distracting and annoying. the main characters are fun to watch and engaging, but the stories and acting have been all over the map. i love ASP, and Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop… but i feel like their combined talent is so much better than this. Give it a second chance, ABC Family, but demand some coherent production value for your viewers, please!

• Melissa29 says:

Unfortunately I agree with you. My daughter and I have the same feelings as you. It’s a little annoying at times, plus the rehashing of bits of dialogue from GG kinda bugs me. Even though I adore seeing all the GG alum, that takes me out of Paradise, and drops me back into Stars Hollow. I am hoping ASP gets the memo that a little retooling needs to be done for season #2. It would be a terrible shame if it didn’t get a renewal. It’s a quality show and has the potential to be just as beloved as GG.

• Lisa (@KittyKay3) says:

Agreed. I hope it is renewed for Bunheads to see it’s potential reached. My daughters and I have watched every GG episode at least 5 times. The GG cast cameos only serve to remind me that Bunheads isn’t Gilmore Girls. Bunheads has the pieces to be a good show. I do wish they would show more dancing. The girls are so beautiful and talented.

• I totally agree. You took the words out of my mouth. There are flashes of brilliance in the show but over all it’s a rocky freshman year for it. It needs a more cohesive story arc and better balance from the dialogue. It felt like the whole show was in shock from Hubble’s death. I re-watched season one of GG and it’s literally a perfect set up for the series. You know from the first episode who these people are, why we are watching them and why we care about them. Bunheads still hasn’t done that. They need to decide what kind of show is it. Is about Michelle being single, alone and finding herself ? Is it about Fanny coping with her son’s death and trying to inspire the talents of her dancers. Is it about four young ballerinas who see the pain and loss that the adults in their life are going through and try to make the right decisions for their own lives while avoiding the mistakes of the grown ups? Right now the show is trying to be all of them and it’s not working. They need a bigger connection for Michelle to the town. A baby of Hubble’s would have been perfect but anything will do now. She needs to have an epiphany and realize she loves the town and stop mocking it or decide that she really loves teaching or choreographing or something. We need an in depth back ground on the girls. If we’re going to watch stories about them we need to know why we care. I feel like the only one we really know is Boo. Thus far Boo is the only one whose sympathetic, Sasha is a jerk and they really haven’t done anything to get the audience on her side, Ginny is either and idiot or a flake and I can barely remember Melanie’s name that’s how little I know about her. Fanny is fabulous only because she’s played by Kelly Bishop. ASP really hasn’t given her much to do other than over the top freak outs about Hubble’s death. Which are great and all but why not delve deeper into the real trauma of a parent losing a child. It doesn’t matter if they are grown up it’s still your child. GG was never afraid to show real pain and anger and loss which is what made the characters so real. Bunheads has been showing the four camera sitcom version of Fanny’s grief and it’s not helping the show. At all. I think there is a ton of potential in the series and I hope it gets a renewal so that ASP can clean it up and flesh it out. It deserves the chance.
      Also, will someone please shoot ASP a memo that the guest stars from GG are cute but the music has got to stop. It doesn’t match the vibe of this show at all and it instantly throws people back to a show that is better than this one in every respect. Let people love Paradise on it’s own and stop making us think of Stars Hollow all the time.

• N.L. says:

abbyjo: Couldn’t agree with you more. Excellent observation. The actors are very engaging, but the plots are not well done.

18. Romi says:

I hope the show is renewed. Will watch any ASP show.

19. Amanda says:

RENEW!!!! Love it

20. Marie says:

Renew it. This is my new favorite summer show.

21. Kathy says:

Renew,Renew,Renew. Love this show!

22. Melinda Granieri says:

Please, please renew. Sutton Foster and Kelly Bishop are amazing performers as are the young dancers. It’s been a joy to watch.

23. Melinda O'Brien says:

BUNHEADS got off to a bit of a slow start, but as the season has progressed, the story has taken off as well. I really hope they renew it.

24. Sarah Burnett says:

RENEW!!! It’s so entertaining. The dancing is so good and Sutton is just wonderful.

25. onlyakb says:

how they can not renew!! renew pls!!!

26. Dani says:

Renew renew renew! The show is adorable. It’s improved since the early episodes. I want to find out what happens with the girls and Sutton!

27. Lana says:

I love Bunheads! Renew!

28. kjess says:

I hope they renew! I don’t know how ABC Famoly could get away with not renewing this, but keeping the ridiculous Secret Life!

• My thoughts exactly when they cancelled “Make It Or Break It” back in April. I could only get through two seasons of Secret Life. Blech! I’m hoping that in the near future, Secret Life is cancelled and Bunheads gets a season two. I’m already happy that it gets a back 8 :)

29. Laura says:

I hope that the powers that be read this blog… I really want it to be renewed as well. It is a quality show – I love the characters, the writing and the general vibe. It’s got heart. Please renew!!!

30. Ally says:

I really hope they renew it. Smart dialogue, an engaging female lead and great supporting characters (esp. Truly). Totally loving Sutton Foster.

Remember, not everyone (me) watched GG so I have nothing to compare it too.

• If you like smart dialogue, engaging female leads and great supporting characters then you should watch Gilmore Girls. GG is like Bunheads times about a thousand in each of those categories. The only thing that Bunheads has that GG didn’t is dancing. Which is a huge plus in my book. If GG had dancing I probably would have had a beak down when it was cancelled.

31. Barbara says:

There is no small town dance studio in the whole world that has that many boys. Especially advanced boys.

I know that TV isn’t realistic but this keeps bugging me!

• Eliza says:

If you look closely, you’ll see that many of the suited “rats” are actually females, which isn’t uncommon in ballet productions.

32. shaunah says:

I just read that ABC family has ordered more episodes of bunheads :)

33. Lisa (@KittyKay3) says:

The season finale was excellent. I liked getting to see the characters dance, especially Kelly. It was unexpected and interesting. I can’t wait for the next season.

34. Poppy Walters says:

As a dancer myself, I’m completely jealous of the amazingly talented dancer who played “the ringer” that Fanny brought in to play Clara. If anyone knows the name of the girl who played her I would be very greatful! Thanks!

35. Jennifer says:

RENEW BUNHEADS IT IS A GREAT SHOW!!!!!!

36. Randi Strathmann says: