Pass the pumpkin ale and fire up the dryer, because New Girl is gonna try and top its Season 1 Thanksgiving instaclassic by using this year’s episode to introduce Jess’ parents. But who will play Mom and Pop Day? Here are our picks:
• Patrick Duffy and Victoria Principal: Not only do they look like they could be Zooey Deschanel’s folks, but their casting would serve us the Bobby-and-Pam reunion that Dallas left us craving. (Bonus: Duffy’s such a joker, he can even make his former leading lady laugh. Have you seen the old Dallas bloopers on YouTube?)
• Woody Allen and Diane Keaton: It may be hard to imagine big-screen legends like the Annie Hall co-stars downsizing to the small screen, but it’s not impossible (think: Meryl Streep on Web Therapy, Gwyneth Paltrow on Glee). Plus, they say girls always fall for guys who remind them of their dads — and didn’t Jess’ ex, Paul (Justin Long), remind you a lot of Woody Allen? (For that matter, hasn’t Justin Long always reminded you a lot of Woody Allen?
• Burt Reynolds and Sally Field: Unlike Allen and Keaton, this former real-life movie-star couple has a long, long history on the tube (he did Gunsmoke and Evening Shade, to name just a couple of shows; she did Gidget and Brothers & Sisters, for starters). And it just isn’t right that their pairing should go down in history as being best remembered for the Smokey and the Bandit flicks.
• David Hyde Pierce: Were New Girl to choose this former Frasier star to play Jess’ dad, the show could forego casting her mom altogether — by leaving her off screen the way his last sitcom did Niles’ wife, Maris. (Or they could just hire Pierce’s missus from The Powers That Be, Valerie Mahaffey — that’s who we always pictured as Maris, anyway!)
• Robin Williams and Nathan Lane: How big a hoot would it be if New Girl reteamed the boys from The Bird Cage? Not as big a hoot as it would be if Lane played Mama Day in drag and Jess was the only one who didn’t realize that she actually had two dads. But a hoot any way you slice it.
Your turn. Who do you envision when you picture Jess’ folks. Your suggestions below.