Fringe's John Noble Returns to Work After Sleep Disorder Treatment: 'I Basically Hit a Wall'

John Noble has returned to work on the fifth and final season of Fringe after taking a brief hiatus late last month to seek treatment for a sleep disorder.

“I basically hit a wall, and we had to deal with it,” the actor tells EW.com of his recent setback, which stemmed from an exacerbated combination of insomnia and sleep apnea — both of which he’s endured less seriously for years.

“I went to the hospital, had all the tests, and we put the strategies into place to deal with both of those issues — including the space-age mask that I wear to bed now,” he continued with a laugh. “It’s pretty unsightly.”

RELATED | Fringe @ Comic-Con: Final Season Begets Tears and Movie Buzz — Watch the Trailer Here!

Noble — who is back in Vancouver shooting the second episode of the upcoming run — assured that he is “feeling more well rested” than ever before and is beyond grateful for the outpouring of love that followed his ordeal. “People were so bloody supportive,” he noted. “It was really touching.”

Fringe‘s final season premieres Friday, Sept. 28 at 9/8c.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News

1. That’s cuz we love ya, John. xo

• Dark Defender says:

I second that. :)

• ScrubsGuy says:

The combination of insomnia and sleep apnea is a special kind of hell. You can’t sleep and even when you do, you won’t be very well rested. Glad to hear that it’s been dealt with and that he can resume his work.

2. itsme says:

I’m glad he took the time to take care of himself and that the Fringe crew/cast was supportive of his need for time off.

3. TV Gord says:

No stranger to sleep apnea myself (including the CPAP machine, that ironically kept me up all night!), I know how debilitating it can be. Sleep disorders can be hell, but can also be a part of the creativity that Noble has. I hope he can find a balance that works for him.

4. CPAP isn’t that unsightly, sweetie. Noisy, but not unsightly. All that matters is that you’re feeling better. We love you!

5. TV Gord says:

CPAP is horrible! It woke me up constantly. I hated it. CPAP is the devil.

:-)

6. Cerulian Blue says:

Glad he is doing better. My father has sleep apnea and uses the machine at night. It’s definitely weird. I’m glad John Noble is also feeling loved; he so deserves it.

7. Karen says:

Taking care of yourself is vital Good for you. I too have sleep apnea and the first mask and machine was horrible. If it keeps you up or is uncomfortable see a specialist that can fit you better. Now have very quite machine and a small nose pillow that allow me to sleep 8 hours. Don’t give up get someone who knows how to fit you with the proper equipment. There not all bad!!

8. Jen says:

So glad he’s feeling better. I know the treatment of sleep apnea can change people’s lives for the much much better. It’s amazing the toll it can take on one’s body. It can even cause heart damage. Not to mention the continuous insufficient sleep causing on going fatigue.

9. panda says:

Glad to have you back Mr. Noble.

10. tvd says:

That double whammy must have been a nightmare. I have had insomnia for years, but I cannot imagine having sleep apnea and waking up choking. Yikes! Glad he is getting treatment and is back to work. The show would not be the same without him.

11. Massey says:

Hopefully John’s CPAP treatment works as well for him as it does for me. When you stop breathing every 45 seconds, sleep is impossible, and lousy naps three times a week are imperative. I’ve now had my CPAP for two years. Yes, it took a month or two to figure out the best mask for me, but once I got the right one (pillows) I sleep through the whole night. I haven’t had to take a nap (except recreationally) since I got it. CPAP saved my life!