Exclusive Pilot Scoop: Emmy Winner Tony Shalhoub Joins CBS' Rob Greenberg Comedy

Tony ShalhoubThree-time Emmy winner Tony Shalhoub has his eye on his next TV venture.

The former Monk star has joined the cast of CBS’ now-untitled comedy pilot (formerly Ex-Men) from How I Met Your Mother executive producer Rob Greenberg, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The half-hour project centers on a charming young man (played by Paranormal Activity 3‘s Chris Smith) who, after being left at the altar by his fiancée, moves into a short-term housing complex and makes unlikely friends with a group of divorced men.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: True Blood‘s Joe Manganiello Back as Brad

Shalhoub — who earned his Emmys as well as a Golden Globe during Monk‘s lengthy run on USA Network — will play Frank, a four-time divorcé who still fancies himself a ladies man and dwells in the complex’s bachelor pad.

As previously reported, Kal Penn (House) also stars as a once-married neighbor who was caught having an affair.

Comments (14)

• Whatever happened to Friday Night Dinner? NBC realise they could never make it as good as the UK version?

Comment by Dan – August 15, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would like to know this too. I was actually looking forward to it when I heard it would star Allison Janney. I guess it never got off the ground? I love the British version, I just wish there were more episodes!

Comment by Amanda – August 15, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monk was never interesting to me. Don’t care for this guy at all. He was really good on the few episodes of the show I watched but he just strikes me as extremely odd. Doubt I would watch any show with him on it but who knows. Maybe I’ll give it a shot.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 15, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both Monk and House (therefore, Kal Penn) so I will definately check this out but but I’m not sure if I will be able to see either of those actors in roles different than the ones I loved them in. Even when I watch reruns of Wings, I see Tony Shaloub as Monk, despite the fact that he was on Wings first.

Comment by J (@MusicandHouse) – August 15, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t wait for this. kal penn and shalhoub = genius!

Comment by timothy – August 15, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lawsuit or failed pilot as this great show already exists the exes on tvland!!!

Comment by davidsask – August 16, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds a lot like The Exes from Tvland

Comment by Carl – August 16, 2012 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not exactly a new concept….The Exes wasn’t either, for that matter… If the cast clicks it could work, I suppose.

Comment by Flowbee Rida – August 16, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Monk and I will give it a go.

Comment by Velvet – August 16, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Monk and Tony will forever be Adrian Monk to me. Not sure I’ll tune into his new series. I still miss Adrian and his gang!!!

Comment by Kat – August 16, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tony Shalhoub is awesome, I sure hope this gets picked up! And “The Exes” on TVLand is totally unoriginal but it’s still funny!

Comment by KevinY – August 19, 2012 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • watch reruns of Monk and Frasier and Psych as for me there is nothing much else on tv, Love Castle. Nice to see something besides the degeneration of society. I wish “Natalie, Randy and Capt. Stottlemeyer” and the rest of the bunch were on a series again, all playing the good guys. Criminal Minds at least teaches something about the human psyche.

Comment by frances wimberly – May 12, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wonderful submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the
    opposite specialists of this sector do not notice this.
    You must continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

Comment by videospiele – October 29, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahaa, its pleasant discussion on the topic of this article here at this weblog,
    I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.

Comment by videospiele – October 30, 2013 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post