Ratings: Grimm's Return Scares Up Best Demo Since Debut, Largest Audience Since January

A little bit of intra-Olympics promotion coupled with a splashier, temporary Monday time slot led NBC’s Grimm to its second-highest demo rating ever, trailing only the series’ October 2011 launch.

Grimm opened Season 2 with a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demo, up 25 percent from its freshman finale (which aired on a Friday). Its 5.7 million total viewers, meanwhile, represents the show’s largest audience since Jan. 20.

The NBC drama’s series premiere last fall played to 6.5 million viewers while scoring a 2.1 rating.

Grimm will continue to unspool new episodes on the next three Mondays, before settling back into its Fridays-at-9 slot starting Sept. 21.

RELATED | Ratings: The Closer Finale Flirts With Series High, Major Crimes Is Now the Summer’s Most-Watched Premiere

Leading into Grimm, the premiere of NBC’s Stars Earn Stripes drew a 1.7 rating, down 15 percent from American Ninja Warrior three weeks ago yet attracting a few more eyeballs (with an audience of 5.15 mil).

RELATED | Ratings: Longmire Ends Strong, NBC’s Animal Practice Monkeys Around With 12.8 Million

Over on Fox, Hotel Hell premiered with a 1.9 demo rating, down sharply from Hell’s Kitchen‘s pre-Olympics tally but nonetheless representing the highest-rated debut of any network series this summer. HK led out of HH with a 2.7, up a tenth from its aforementioned performance.

ABC’s Bachelor Pad (4.06 mil/1.2) understandably enjoyed gains over its Olympics-impaired numbers but was down double digits from its last regular outing airing July 23; same applies to The Glass House (2.1 mil/0.7).

What were you tuned into this Monday night? (Age-old reminder: Cable numbers come in much, much later.)

1. adambramble says:

Loved Grimm’s Season Premier :)

• ishivi says:

It really was a fantastic premiere, and Nick’s mom is awesome! The woman can kick butt and she’s got sass so she doesn’t come off as stiff. The actress is doing an amazing job playing her. I can’t wait to see more this season!

2. i expected a little bit more in the viewers

3. dryedmangoez says:

Aww, I was hoping for a bigger boost, but a 2.0 is great for the show. Hope the show gained a couple more new fans last night.

4. Jennifer says:

Can’t help but wonder what would have happened if NBC had put this much promotion into other non-reality based shows. I think Awake and a few others wouldn’t have gotten the ax so quick and NBC wouldn’t look so stupid.

5. Ann says:

If Grimm could only muster 5.7 million with numerous commercials during the Olympics and absolutely zero competition, then it needs to be cancelled…especially since good shows like the Sing-Off were cancelled, running in that same time slot with zero advertisement brought in the same numbers with heavier competition! This isn’t a complaint against Grimm, but a complaint against NBC for cancelling good shows and keeping trashy ones like Love in the Wild…

• Lauren says:

You’re saying you don’t like that NBC cancels good shows and airs trashy ones – so then why should Grimm be canceled? Also, what does a supernatural procedural have to do with another crappy reality singing competition?

• abbyoftroy says:

The thing is, GRIMM is not a reality competition, it’s a supernatural, procedural drama, and it’s on NBC. The bosses are doing a happy dance with hese numbers right now, and thanking the Gods for them. Grimm will probably be one of the first shows to be renewed again. It’s NBC’s new golden egged chicken and they value it. They aren’t cancelling it any time soon, especially with 2.0 demos.

• ratings troll says:

Argh!!! Come on Ann, the 5.7 doesn’t matter…it’s the demo. It’s only about the demo. And I’m very sorry the Sing Off show you liked was cancelled. I’ll refrain from wishing cancellation on another show though.

6. Debbie Bitz says:

Oh man, I wish they would keep Grimm on Monday nights. It did really well on Friday nights but imagine what could happen if they left it on a night that people actually stay home and watch TV.

• abbyoftroy says:

They wouldn’t dare. On Monday nights it would be up against Castle and Hawaii Five-0 (I’m forgetting another hot shot, aren’t I?). It would hurt Grimm’s audience even more. It’s probably better for the show to be one of people’s few options and be on DVR than to be up against the big names.

7. Velvet says:

I’m really glad I no longer have to watch Grimm online because it interfered with my Supernatural/Fringe schedule.

• Velvet says:

I hope it doesn’t interfere with Lost Girl when it moves to Friday’s. If it does, I can record Lost Girl at a later time.

8. Velvet says:

I am so glad Rosalee is a regular. She and Monroe are so awesome together. When are they going to really get together?????

• abbyoftroy says:

Rosalee as a regular was the only thing that was missing for the show to be perfect. A character like her, a girl with spunk, attitude and lots of personality (sorry, Juliette — but so far, all she’s really been is Nick’s girlfriend). She makes the show complete <3

9. That’s because they moved it from FRIDAY!

10. Velvet says:

Supernatural is moving to Wednesday in October.

11. Kissan says:

I was actually at ABC Family watchin Secret Life and Love & Hip Hop Atlanta at 8:00. At 9:00 I was watchin Bunheads and The Closer and at 10:00 I watched Grimm and Major Crimes.

12. Hawker says:

Are they going to rerun these 4 episodes starting on September 14th, or are they going to premiere with episode 5?

13. S says:

Ratings for The Closer,Major Crimes or Bunheads?

14. MusicGrrrl says:

Alphas on Syfy!

15. Fralia Boy says:

It’s just going to take awhile for NBC to convince viewers it can have great shows. Since the ER glory days, people have gotten used to crap or invested in shows they liked and had NBC cancel them and usually put up something crappy in it’s place. USA owned by NBC Universal is doing a better job of putting up new shows and keeping them.

16. GD says:

Stars and Stripes was not as cheesy as I thought. I liked it. The Celebs are genuinely grateful to the service men and now have an appreciation of what they do.

But I am anxiously awaiting Teen Wolf numbers. The Wolves and the Canama on MTV put NBC Grimms “Creatures” to shame.

17. Patrick says:

NBC’s problem is that they have nothing to establish a beachhead early in the night. There is nothing that people tune in to watch and then stay around to watch what comes on next. This has killed Community, Parks and Rec, and others. If NBC could’ve gotten 15 million to sample anyone of those shows, that show would be hit. But when only 5 or 6 mil sample it, the numbers just suck.

Grimm is a good show. And if there is a higher power, every Reality Singing show will be canceled.

18. Jake says:

I think it’s tough to get viewers to catch a season 2 premiere if they have not watched season one.

19. Will says:

I’m confused, Grimm’s 2nd season is expected to have 22 episodes but with the premiere being so early in the season are they going to take an extended hiatus at some point or wrap things early in the spring??

20. The Squatch says:

I don’t know about Nick’s mom. She looked sketchy to me… like she is not really there for the reasons she says. I thought she was just there to get the coins for herself until she gave them back and told him to hide them. Unless that was just a trick too. heh

• Mary says:

I thought exactly the same! And the idea “she is not her real mom” cross my mind once or twice during the episode. But after seeing the new promo I think she is really worry about him.

21. itsme says:

Grimm’s premiere was awesome. Its like the cast + writers came back with a new found sense of confidence. I hope they can keep this new excitement up all season cause I’m loving all the groundwork they laid in this episode (the families, the huge mythos).

22. Mikael says:

Considering most people are still in the tv summer hiatus mode, I think Grimm’s ratings were pretty good. I think this will be a good year for the show, which really seems to be hitting its stride. My only hope is that the CGI gets a little better. I’m a little worried when it goes back to Fridays because it will interfere with Fringe and Nikita, but at least Nikita doesn’t start until October and Fringe’s final season is a short one.