Fall TV Preview

How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Breaking Bad's Bob Odenkirk Returns as Barney's [Spoiler]

Bob OdenkirkBreaking Bad‘s Bob Odenkirk is overdosing on legal gigs.

The actor — who plays Walt and Jesse’s corrupt attorney Saul on the AMC drama — will return to How I Met Your Mother for a Season 8 guest spot, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: True Blood‘s Joe Manganiello Back as Brad For Multi-Ep Arc

Odenkirk, who was last seen as Marshall’s Goliath National Bank boss Arthur Hobbs in Season 6, will reappear in Episode 2 when his corporate lawyer pseudo-represents Barney in his pre-nup negotiations with Quinn. Judging from what executive producer Craig Thomas told us about October’s breakup extravaganza, we’re guessing the discussions do not go well.

Odenkirk’s previous credits include Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! and Entourage, as well as writing stints on Saturday Night Live, Late Night With Conan O’Brien and Tenacious D.

HIMYM kicks off its eighth season on Sept. 24.

Comments (23)

• I don’t know if that guy ever has done a HIMYM scene that wasn’t funny. Even the one about his dog. My favorite is when Barney was trying to get him to hire Ted as architect as a pro america hire.

Comment by Tom – August 14, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeees. I hope Tugboat will be back as well!

Comment by Olivia – August 14, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Acutally that wasn’t him who Barney gets to hire Ted. It was Bilson.

Comment by Cliff – August 14, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ok I’m way off them, I thought he WAS Bilson

Comment by newcastletom – August 14, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i dont think you are watching the show as much if you got him and bilson confused. Bilson hire him, Arthur was in love with his dog tugboat

Comment by Chris – August 14, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • yeah I guess, I don’t remember who Arthur is. I like the Bilson character so never mind

Comment by newcastletom – August 14, 2012 09:07 PM PDT
    • Story pitch: Hammond Druthers (Ted’s old boss) goes to Arthur Hobbs (Marshall’s old boss) for legal advice against Ted for causing that heart attack. After winning, he needs to launder the money to avoid the taxes. It’s a slippery slope – now, he’s ***breaking bad***.

Also, we find out the mother is Victoria, everything else in the story be damned.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – August 15, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You seem to have missed something in his list of credits…

Comment by Bob – August 14, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MR. SHOW!!!!!

Comment by Captain Ron – August 14, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought. How could they leave it out?

Comment by laylagalise – August 14, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh. I never noticed that was Odenkirk in that role. I’ll have to start paying more attention. One of my cousins recently informed me Odenkirk was in Arrested Development too, which I also don’t remember, and will definitely have to go back one of these days to find. The man is hilarious. He should do lots more comedy, and he should also do lots more Breaking Bad scenes. I feel like I’ve hardly seen him this season.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 14, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite secne is when
    Barney was trying to get him to hire Ted
    as architect as a pro america hire.
    Sallu mughal
    +923326659071

Comment by Sallu mughal – August 14, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • maybe we’ll finally find out what it is Barney does!!

Comment by EmmaCat – August 14, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @EmmaCat What Barney does? Psssh. Please.

Comment by Courtney Parks – August 14, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Artillery Arthur!

Comment by Mikael – August 15, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll bet Quinn is still swindling Barney and this is where it will all come out.

Comment by Alix – August 15, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love artillery arthur, just rewatched his first episode today, definately one of my favorite recurring characters on the show. can he be in a few more episodes? maybe barneys company gets investigated for the horrible things that he has been alluding to for years

Comment by Alan – August 15, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • am i the only one who’s sad that Barney and Quinn will split and he’ll apparently marry Robin

Comment by Malcolm – August 23, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no, you’re not. There’s lots of fans that are upset over the upcoming break up of Barney/Quinn. I’m not one of them tho, I’ll be glad when they break up and he marries Robin. Sorry, I just never felt Barney and Quinn’s so called “chemistry” like I did for Barney/Robin.

Comment by justsomegirl – August 30, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post