Update: Kristin Chenoweth Bows Out of The Good Wife Following Head Injury

Kristin Chenoweth Leaves The Good WifeKristin Chenoweth is vacating her role on The Good Wife roughly one month after she sustained a head injury on the set of the CBS drama.

“It is with deep regret to inform everyone that due to my injuries, I am unable to return to The Good Wife,” Chenoweth said in a statement to People.com. “[I'm] getting better slowly, and thank everyone for [their] concern.”

PHOTOS | The Good Wife Unmasks Kalinda’s Infamous Hubby!

The Emmy winner, who was cast as a hard-hitting political reporter who makes trouble for Peter’s campaign, was briefly hospitalized after getting struck in the head by a piece of scaffolding while shooting an outdoor scene with Josh Charles on July 11.

Her departure after just one episode (she’ll appear in the Sept. 30 opener) will likely have producers scrambling to either recast the role or create a new character to fill the reporter void. “We have her written into the third, fourth and fifth episode,” Good Wife co-creator Robert King told TVLine last month. “We’ll see if it works out. She’s so good in the first episode; we need her back.”

Said CBS in a statement: “We enjoyed having Kristin on the show and would love to have her back when she’s feeling better.”

1. Brit says:

Sounds like she’s being a bit dramatic. It sucks that she got hurt but I doubt she’s completely cancelling any other jobs.

• Took the words out of my mouth. Unfortunate incident but this does sound a lot more serious that we were lead to believe it was. Sad to see she won’t be returning though.

• Kat says:

She recently pulled out of appearing at a benefit in her honor (not even singing, just showing up), so it definitely seems like it was worse than reported.

• JN says:

Um… filming for a movie or TV show usually goes all day and night. I can definitely understand doctors telling her not to go back to that kind of schedule yet. There’s nothing over-dramatic about that.

• Josh says:

Except that she is, and has. Educate yourself next time you question someone’s work ethic.

• charlotte says:

What a completely ignorant comment to make. And you would know that she’s not canceling her other jobs because….oh, yeah. You don’t.

• Jennifer says:

She needs to take care of herself first. Head injurys are not to be taken lightly. Liam Neeson lost his wife because of one.

• Someone should whack you upside your head with the force of a piece of scaffolding falling more than 10 feet and see how quick you are up for long days on the set. What a moronic thing to say.

• Cathy says:

Please see below for more explanations as to why this is serious for Ms. Chenoweth.

• TV Gord says:

She has cancelled other jobs. She was supposed to co-host with Kelly Ripa and had to cancel. You have no idea how bad her injuries are, so your comments are the true definition of ignorance.

2. Ana says:

I hope she is able to return. I was really looking forward to seeing her. She’s amazing.

3. Ashley says:

Bummer. I love her.

4. TMW says:

Damn, I was hoping her character would end up in bed with Zach and Alicia would burst in on them bellowing “NOT WITH MY SON!”

5. Rrrrrr says:

Wtfffffffffffffffff I was excited

6. Dick Whitman says:

I really hope they don’t recast the role.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

Huh. Can the effects of a concussion really last that long? My cousin had a concussion from a skateboarding accident once (always wear a helmet, kids!), and it took him several weeks to recover, but he required emergency brain surgery and was in the hospital a long time. Did Kristen Chenowith have to have brain surgery from this incident? When it happened, it just sounded like they kept her for observation overnight doing the whole, “Don’t fall asleep!” thing that they usually do with people who get minor concussions. I hope she’s okay.

• Rock Golf says:

There is no common timetable for recovery from concussions. One of the outstanding hockey players in the NHL, Sidney Crosby has been out for most of a year and a half with a concussion injury.

• Laura says:

Every concussion is different. There are athletes that are out for extremely long periods of time after seemingly harmless contact to the head and some people that come back after a week or so after more significant contact. I know a few people that have had concussions and have complained of headaches that last for months after. Of the many incidents of concussions that I am aware of, I do not know of any that have required brain surgery, I think that each person, situation and healing time is very unique, so it is very easy to believe that she is still having problems if she did have a concussion.

• murley says:

i got a concussion that didn’t even require an overnight hospital stay and I was out if work for 2 weeks (I barely remember) and it took a couple months to fully recover (couldn’t take bright lights of any kind without incurring severe headaches). You can’t even beleive the thing is still affecting you after a while but it is!

• MrMank says:

I seem to recall that she suffered at least one seizure as a result of her injury, so I’m sure there’s no timetable for this kind of thing. I’m just praying she gets better soon, and completely. Easily one of my favorite performers.

• Ace says:

The effects of a bad concussion can be lifelong. My mother (who is young — in her early 50s — and in good health) fell on the ice five or six years ago, resulting in a severe concussion, and shestill suffers from vertigo as a result. She also lost her sense of smell completely and permanently. Ms. Chenoweth could still be quite hampered by her injury, considering it’s only been a few weeks.

8. Jim Houston says:

This might sound harsh… and even though I use to love her, ever since I had a close encounteer with her in person after a show… my love for her declined a lot… she was very “I’m the greatest star and you have to respect me” when a little kid asked her to take a picture with her, she replied: You can take them as I wave… and I was like: are you serious? you are saying that to a little kid? I understand if it was a grownup male who can do several things, but a kid?
    I totally lost respect for her after that and this decision on the show just adds up to the image I have of her as a person.
    Too bad Kristin, I used to like you very much since Pushing daisies… and even though all this experience with her happened almost 2 years ago I was looking forward to see her in The Good wife, but anyway…
    Someone else will take over the character and it will be ok.
    Sorry for the ranting… :P

• To Jim says:

It’s really a shame you made that judgment without knowing all the facts. She has a policy about photography after a show because she has Meniere’s Disease. All the flashes can cause it to trigger (which makes it really difficult for her on red carpets as you can imagine). So many people want to take pictures, but if it caused you to get vertigo and migraines every night you subjected yourself to that, would you do it? She has to take medicine, manage her diet, sleep on an incline and all kinds of things just to try to minimize how often it occurs and isn’t always successful. An operation to fix it could cause such significant hearing loss that her career as a singer would be ruined so she just lives with it. The child couldn’t be expected to know about it and I feel their pain, but she can’t explain to every single person why no individual pictures. It’s quite generous of her to risk the Meniere’s symptoms just to let people get their pictures at the same time. I’m sure she feels bad, but it’s not like she can help it.

• Jim Houston says:

ok, now that you say it like that I feel for her… I didn’t know this and I would understand her situation can be complicated, and I’m actually glad that you told me this because I still loved her but I had this “spine” about her personality that kept bugging me towards my emotions for her :P
        Again, thanks for letting me know and hopefully this will just be temporary and she might be back again on TGW.
        Ryan Murphy stated once that he wanted to do a show specially for her, I wonder whatever happened to that show…

• Cathy says:

I didn’t know about that, either. Thank you for the info.

9. Newsjunkie says:

The actual statement on People.com says “unable to return to TGW *at this time*. Should you add that in/correct?

10. Allison says:

Yes, not over dramatic at all. Head injuries are nothing to take lightly – plus they can cause other issues like neck issues, and shehad a previous neck injury before. Maybe if Nathasa Richardson was a bit more “Dramatic” she’s still be around.

11. SJ says:

Poor thing. She just can’t catch a break: she does Pushing Daisies, it gets cancelled. She does Glee, Ryan Murphy was going to make either a spin-off with her character or give her her own sitcom, then that fell through, then she’s on GCB, which gets canned two months after the premiere and now she finally lands a recurring role on an established show and this happens! She’s so talented and I really hope she recovers fully and really gets a chance to shine as a TV star!

Get well soon, Kristin!

12. tikilove says:

I wonder if her vertigo problems are making it worse. If you have ever suffered from severe vertigo, you would know that when it is bad, it is impossible to do anything but lay there no matter how much you want to get up and move around. If the knock to the head is causing vertigo, I can fully understand that she needs time away from the lights and chaos that I imagine would be on a tv show set.

13. diana says:

I think a lawsuit may be next.

• TV Gord says:

My gut instinct about her is that that’s not her style. Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for lawsuits. I know many are frivolous, but not all of them are. If this incident keeps her from working for a period of time, there should be some sort of compensation. After all, she can’t buy food with the well-wishes of her fans.

14. Mark says:

So now that she’s done with the Good Wife, American Idol producers better jump on the chance to make her a judge :)

15. AlbTrex says:

I’m sad. I love her!!!!! I hope they bring her back when she’s better!! :(

16. miri says:

What’s going on whith TGW??? I really hope that they recast the part I love KC but they tend to drop the character and its get tired and confussing!!!

17. Kate says:

Im sorry she got hurt and hope she has a quick recovery, but im glad she wont be appearing on the show. I cant stand her.

• As much as anyone who probably knows you can’t stand you, I’m sure… Why try to mask your ugly and pathetic negative comment with pleasantries – it doesn’t make you look any better – trust me!

• Fran says:

Well your comment makes you seem pretty ugly and pathetic yourself…. Kate was giving an opinion, she obviously doesn’t like KC’s acting. Not everyone does. She didn’t write it in a nasty way. Geez.

• Mika says:

I totally agree Kate!!!!!!!

18. Mika says:

I’m sorry she’s hurt, but I’m glad she’s only going to be on one episode because I’m not a fan of hers and felt like she would just ruin one of my fav shows.

19. Mitholas says:

I really hope she recovers. I really like Kristin and I’d be very sad if she had to endure some kind of permanent damage from an accident like this. All the best!