Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From the 2012 Closing Ceremony?

Get More: Recaps, Sports

Olympics Closing Ceremony 2012Welp, the 30th Olympiad has come to a close. “A Symphony of British Music,” directed by David Arnold and renowned British choreographer Kim Gavin, opened with a booming Big Ben and Emeli Sandé’s beautiful voice. It introduced us to a newspaper-wrapped world of London’s architectural icons, Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill and Prince Harry (umm, hello!) with a smashing Kate Middleton.

The Dream of the 90s was definitely alive…in London. Madness sang “Our House” on the back of a flat-bed truck, the Royal Ceremonial Band played “Park Life” by Blur and The Pet Shop Boys arrived by orange geometric bicycles .

One Direction sang their global smash “What Makes You Beautiful” and showed good hair genes, but Stomp brought down the house with their largest cast since 1991 of bang-on-can rhythms that electrified an entire stadium. There was a definite warm and fuzzy moment when the audience started singing John Lennon’s “Imagine”.

The Brits looked terrific as the athletes flooded in but could we stop already with the walking-while-recording-the-world-with-our-iPads? I still squealed like a teenage girl at the opening notes of George Michael’s “Freedom ‘90” but groaned when I saw that belt buckle. When did he start singing like Cher?

Thumbs up to the Kaiser Chiefs’ cover of The Who’s “Pinball Wizard.” David’ Bowie’s “Fashion” ushered in British models Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss wearing golden stunners from the UK’s biggest fashion houses. Annie Lennox was the brilliant leader of post-apocalyptic Elizabethans.

The grossest moment of the night goes to Russell Brand and his discordant orgy of awfulness (and to NBC for cutting The Who and Ray Davies) but Fatboy Slim and Monty Python comic genius Eric Idle saved the day. No one, however, could save Liam Gallagher of Beady Eye from his own song.

The Spice Girls reunion was the world’s worst kept secret, especially since it already happened in 2008. Fun fact: Gold medalist Missy Franklin was only 1 when “Wanna Be” topped the charts.

The video sing-a-long with the late Freddie Mercury reminded us that not just anyone can fill his shoes. (I’m talking to you, Jessie J, in your sparkly Flo-Jo suit. Also, who let Brian May wear his Gryffindor track suit in public?)

The Rio presentation included Bootsy Collins samba girls, neon-topped Amazon warriors and a craft closet explosion. Alessandra Ambrosio and Pele were there to distract us all from the mess. I, like McKayla, was not impressed. —Sarah Platanitis

What was your favorite moment from the London 2012 Closing Ceremonies? Sound off in the comments!

Tags:

Comments (137)

• Eric Idle for the win. Jesse J singing with Queen was repulsive and a crime to all humanity.

Comment by jen – August 12, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, when will Jessie J go away?

Comment by lana – August 12, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!
      And still no Doctor? What the h, england?

Comment by Polly – August 12, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! Kept waiting for them to roll out a few Doctors as England’s and the crowd to go wild…I’m still waiting.

Comment by Jade – August 13, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sod off with your stupid doctors, nobody frickin cares…

Comment by Eli – August 13, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A+ comment. Jessie J made me change the channel again and again. She is truly the worst and I am completely mystified as to how she got such a prominent role in the Closing.

Comment by Alexis – August 13, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Such a classic song and didn’t need her wailing through it. Should have just had Freddy on video (like the dd at the beginning) singing.

Comment by Jenny – August 13, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the opening ceremony was awful and the closing ceremony was awful. They should stick to weddings.

Comment by TMW – August 13, 2012 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My favorite moment was when it was over. That was the best that the Brit’s could do? Can’t tell me they couldn’t get true British talent. Elton, Paul, Adele, the list goes on as to who they should have had. Figure that if Queen Liz would have asked the people I listed, they would have been there.

Comment by Kevin – August 13, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Er your 3 choices ……well Elton was ill…Paul was used in the opening gambit and as for Adele….8 months preggers….the baby is more important that any Olympics ever.

Comment by David – August 13, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So when you say “true British talent” you mean mainstream in America talent?

Comment by Amy – August 13, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about Phil Collins, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, or Florence & the Machine? I know that the people they chose are part of their musical history but it would have been better and more enjoyable for them to chose artists that are more universally recognized. And just because Paul McCartney performed in the opening doesn’t mean that he can’t perform in the closing. Anyone would have been better than Russell Brand!!!!

Comment by Randi – August 13, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah well you would have had a walk out if Phil Collins played…….He is hugely disliked in the U.K. not knocking his music im just saying how he is as a person.

Comment by David – August 13, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Phil Collins gave up doing music due to health problems, if I’m not mistaken. Coldplay just wrapped a North American tour so they were probably on a plane back to England when the show was happening. Perhaps Mumford and Florence declined…? And bringing Paul back for the closing would’ve been seen as redundant. Agreed that Russell Brand was an odd choice and certainly NBC could’ve cut that part in favor of any of the other acts they cut.
          I was just glad NBC didn’t cut Take That…most of the US wouldn’t know that Gary Barlow (who sang lead on that song) is still grieving the loss of his stillborn daughter just about a week ago. It makes that song take on a different meaning and makes it all the more poignant. He looked to be choking back some tears in the intro.

Comment by Tess – August 13, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You cannot please everbody. There are lots of singers that i thought should of been invited to perform. But have you not considered the fact that some of these people had been invited but declined for various reasons. The Brits did a fantastic job, not only of the opening and closing ceromony, but of the whole set up!!!!.

Comment by Katherine – August 15, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you. it was beyond comprehension that they chose her to sing with queen.

Comment by murley – August 13, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was watching on DVR, and immediately hit the fast forward when JJ sang the first note. I looked at my friend, who I was watching it with, and went, “That was just offensive.” Must we taint Queen?

Mad props on “Gryffindor Track Suit,” however.

Comment by O'Brien – August 13, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she is awful. How did she get so famous anyway? I’m not a fan of Katy Perry but jessie j seems to be a less-talented, british version of her.

Comment by Sha – August 13, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fave moments: eric idle and the bollywood dancing!

Comment by Jennifer – August 12, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely!!!!!!

Comment by Chloe – August 12, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably the most notable moment from the ceremony! I didn’t care so much about the rest of the live performances.

Comment by Christine – August 13, 2012 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s actually called Bhangra dancing and yes, it was pretty awesome!

Comment by Sha – August 13, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Spice Girls were easily the highlight for me (and I was at one of their 2008 reunion tour).
    I found the ceremonies to be a bit tacky actually. And if they were going to focus on music in the closing ceremonies, was it necessary to include the really boring 30-minute musical montage in the opening ceremonies?

Comment by mia – August 12, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christine Sinclair carrying in Canada’s flag!! Easily the best moment of the show. Brought a tear to my eye at how happy and proud she looked.

Comment by itsme – August 12, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes!! Loved to see how happy she was :)

Comment by jen – August 12, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, i love that too! *proud canadian*

Comment by Jennifer – August 12, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was torn between her and our gold medalist trampolinist, but she was so happy that I totally didn’t care. Not sure about the denim, but that smile was undeniable

Comment by cinephilactic – August 12, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Wonderful moment.

Comment by dude – August 13, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent pick to carry the flag, she’s done a lot for Canadian spirit!

Comment by Sha – August 13, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forget TAKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing performance & song & respect to Gary Barlow who lost his little girl few days ago

Comment by nanou – August 12, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! Take that sudden put myself and my girlfriends back in junior high as we watched it together. I didn’t expect them at all, and I squealed with glee when they were performing.

Comment by Kimberly – August 12, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except where was Robbie Williams? I know that he abandoned them long ago, but everyone else was having a golden reunion (and was he REALLY too busy?)

Comment by cinephilactic – August 12, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Rob’s expecting a baby any day now. He was rumored to be doing the Bowie song but pulled out because of his wife being pregnant. Rob did an album with them last year but has gone back to being solo for now. The other four made that song famous, and they were absolutely incredible tonight.

Comment by Dana Franks (@ariedana) – August 12, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ahhh…interesting. I guess having a baby is a valid excuse :P

Comment by cinephilactic – August 12, 2012 10:23 PM PDT
    • My exact thought. Take That never disappoints. Wherever Gary Barlow gets the strength from, I don’t know. But he is simply incredible!

Comment by Karen – August 13, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree, Take That were absolutely fantastic and Gary Barlow was so incredbly brave to do that, especially when the Rule The World has so much meaning in it.

Comment by Emily – August 13, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed major props to Gary for performing so quickly after such a tragic loss- what a professional

Comment by delushy – August 13, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rio can do better then that and I know it! I’ve got such high expectations for 2016 but that introduction was just meh…

Comment by anna – August 12, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well what does Rio really have besides Pele and Victoria Secret models?

Comment by dude – August 13, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A lot more. Why americans are so blindful about Brazil?

Comment by Pearl – August 13, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beat part was Take That and Rule The World, heartfelt and emotional after what happened with Gary Barlow’s baby girl.

Comment by Maria Gabriela Perez (@Gottara) – August 12, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved Take That. I have a sentimental spot for them as I was a huge fan back in the 90′s. Their performance was so much more knowing what Gary Barlow has been through this week.

Comment by Christina – August 13, 2012 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even Bob Costa said “join us in an hour for the who” or something like that. I figured their late night hour would be the end of the ceremonies, but they didn’t have a late night hour tonight. Just add another FAIL to the NBC’s list of the Olympics.

Comment by Kristin – August 12, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC on Directv has been out in Los Angeles for the last 30-mins. This is unbelievable. Is this network physically incapable of NOT f*#^£ing up this year’s Olympics coverage?

Comment by Nic – August 12, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE SPICE GIRLS! great!

Comment by Cla – August 12, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That NBC finally finished broadcasting it…

…only after airing Animal Practice and local news.

They also cut out several musical numbers, not to mention moments like the thanking of all the volunteers etc. All that after having first used The Who to promote the damned show, and airing a prior synopsis program that itself ran well into primetime. Meaning, they could have had the whole thing run before 11pm but were stubbornly set on simultaneously gutting and glutting.

Talk about Delay.

I don’t care NBC says the ratings are highest ever. It’s not like many had any other recourse through which to watch them, forever buffering online, BBC, CTV, etc.

I’m glad they made their money back and then some, turned a profit even. Seriously unimpressed with how they went about it.

As for ceremony moments. Annie Lennox, Eric Idle, The Who were standouts, and not least had some of the best sound mix.

Between the opening and closing ceremonies, well, I’d say the director of Trainspotting outdid the director of Incredibly Loud Extremely Close. Just IMO.

Comment by Won'tGetFooledAgain – August 12, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super pissed about NBC cutting Muse from its telecast too. I was really looking forward to seeing that. :(

Comment by Sarah – August 12, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Kate Bush too! She hasn’t performed in like, what, 20 years…..she did “Running Up That Hill” and they cut the entire piece.

Comment by Irishgirl – August 12, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • did she perform? I was watching on CTV (who didn’t cut anyone) and we didn’t actually see her during Running up that Hill…

Comment by jen – August 12, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, she didn’t perform. It was just a recording.

Comment by Lana – August 12, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you kidding? that is so sad. Whom ever made the decisions at NBC should be fired and is clearly a moron.

Comment by Ali – August 12, 2012 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cutting Muse was stupid. Their song was the anthem of the entire London games for crying out loud! I was looking forward to seeing them. Fortunately it’s on You Tube.

Comment by Michelle – August 13, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So awesome seeing the Spice Girls together again. It’s like I was 8 all over again.

Comment by QB – August 12, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um it’s “Wannabe” not “Wanna Be”…

Comment by Spice Girls Fan – August 12, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they didn’t show the Muse!!!! >:[

Comment by Becca – August 12, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget about the freaking show. They CUT OUT MUSE. YOU NEVER CUT OUT MUSE.

Comment by Twisted Sister – August 12, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric Idle hands down. The rest was just whatever.

Comment by Kelly – August 12, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the closing ceremony better than I did with the opening one. Why Russell Brand? He nearly ruined “Willy Wonka”‘s song for me. I was happy to hear the familiar song, but not sung by him. It was good to see the Spice Girls again! It brought me back to the 90s! I never realized how much of my favorite songs came from the Brits until tonight. Well, I am proud to be an American. USA won 104 medals total!!!

Comment by Allyson – August 12, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the Liam Gallagher performance :/.

Comment by Anonymous – August 12, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.I actually loved all of the ceremony :)

Comment by Laura – August 13, 2012 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked his performance too…but that song takes me back to high school so he could’ve done an interpretive dance to the music instead of singing and I would’ve still probably liked it. I actually thought Liam sounded pretty good live for a change.

Comment by Tess – August 13, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I base my favorite moment on how much I got into it, so my favorite part was when the Pet Shop Boys came out. Honorable mention goes to my guy for his WTF?! face when I was singing along. Brian May on guitar/Freddie Mercury footage was entertaining as hell, and I was excited to see Annie Lennox, though the sound was unfortunately terrible. Madness was a nice treat, Eric Idle made me smile, and though I also loved the opening notes of Freedom ’90, I didn’t like the accompanying George Michael wardrobe.

Loved the models during Fashion, didn’t like that (apparently) things were cut out…

Comment by Winnie – August 12, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear NBC,

I’m writing to inform the network of my extreme dissatisfaction with the coverage of the closing ceremony tonight. Not only was the program completely disjointed because of all the added commercials, but viewers were held hostage at the end so that your network could show the asinine program that is supposed to premiere soon. (Side note-no one will watch that show and you’ll be canceling it soon.) On top of that you cut out one of the most popular bands from Britain who performed the official song. Thanks for ruining my night. I’ll be sure to never watch your channel again.

Sincerely,

A former viewer.

Comment by Jorge – August 12, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the thing about the Rio presentation is that everyone thinks that Brazil is all about the Carnival, the samba and the naked women. but our culture is much more! that presentation was so rich, culturally speaking, and it represented our culture way better than Carnival/samba/naked women.

Comment by Michele Bernardes – August 12, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • being a brazilian, I kinda expected that, but I still hope, or rather, have high hopes that in the opening and closing ceremony in Rio, we are gonna see much more than the “Rio/Carnaval” cultural, because there is so much more than that here in Brazil, we have a very diversified background, raging from Europe to Africa, so culturally speaking, “naked women in Carnaval” is what is usually sold, but there is so, so so so much more in here… Again, I do hope, whomever is in charge of the opening/closing ceremony remembers that… About the cerimonies in London, personally, I liked…

Comment by Maria Clarice Hubert – August 13, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m brazilian too and I disagree, that presentation was boring and cliche-filled even though it had no naked women in it! Why would they pick Marisa Monte? Seriously? Were they trying to get people to fall asleep? I am worried about the fact that we’re following London specially from the musical point of view… but we do have a rich culture and if we play our cards right (and stay away from excessive soccer and carnival references) we’ll be able to show the world that. The thing is our government will probably f*ck it up like they do everything else…

Comment by andressa – August 13, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re so right!!! But i rather see Marisa Monte than Michel Teló. X_X Much more!!!
        It was just a fiasc, was Rio trying to be London, trying to be the Rio the World thinks it knows and trying to “please” brazilians by put some maracatu, capoeira and iemanjá (WHY THE HELL THE CAPOEIRA MAN WERE USING SUSPENDERS? WHYYYYYYYY)

Comment by Pearl – August 13, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As a brit i can sympathise with you. When we showcased ourselves back in 2008, i was filled with dread at how we would screw up the Olympics, but now for once in my life i can say that we did a fantastic job, and i am proud to be a British citizen. There was so much pressure on us following the Beijing Games, that we had no choice but to pull it off. I am sure Brazil will pull it off too.

Comment by Katherine – August 15, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Spice Girls reunion was fun, took me back! Really, the show as a whole was a let down because I guess they just couldn’t afford all the musicians who should have been there. But I did like Eric Idle, and also the initial setup of London inside the stadium looked great!

Comment by ben – August 12, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only does that One Direction band suck, but they stole that song from Sheila E.

Comment by Tim – August 12, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the worst closing ceremony ever. It was a complete Schlock-fest of mediocre has-beens. I knew from the lineup that it would be bad as there were no: Rolling Stones, Coldplay, Pink Floyd or David Gilmour, or even David Bowie (just his music being covered by a crappy cover band.) No Sex Pistols, no Duran-Duran nada, zip. I didn’t get the luxury of seeing The Who as NBC deemed them not worthy.

All in all it was a huge disappointment. Most singers were off key and the dancing, floor show seemed rushed/contrived/silly. George Michael looked just like John Travolta (wink, wink.) and I had no idea who Jessie G was or the “rappers.” Fat Boy Slim looked embarrassed to be there and I actually did get a kick out of Russell Brand and thought he did fine. Eric Idle was just weird as well. I laughed when the camera focused on Prince Harry and he looked so bored and was mouthing one of the songs in the most contrived manner. You could see some of the athletes even rolling their eyes through part of it. Not such a good ceremony. One can only hope the next one will be better.

Comment by Ali – August 12, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time I see George Michael, he looks more and more like he should be hanging out at the Blue Oyster Bar from Police Academy.
    Annie Lennox was awesome, the John Lennon head made out of boxes was cool, Take That was so good (though I would have been sooooo happy to see Robbie Williams), and surprisingly, I really enjoyed Ray Davies.

Comment by Lana – August 12, 2012 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fave were the performances of The Who and Muse…oh wait, that’s right, NBC cut those out…as they had censored the Opening Ceremonies too. So now NBC stands for New Bad Censors.

Comment by Ric Meyers – August 13, 2012 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The closing ceremony was bad in every way the opening was good.
    Music tracks on repeat, awful commentary here in the UK (shame on you BBC for not learning from the mistakes two weeks ago) and Jessie J being a prize cow for first killing the Bee Gees, then doing Queen.
    Why not stick with the Freddie video wall? It had the crowd going like crazy, as did the Imagine video.
    Funny that two dead guys got the crowd popping like nobody playing live could.

Best part? Eric Idle actually doing the “life’s a piece of sh*t” line – I was NOT expecting that.
    Also, did they really need to have Emili Sande on so often? Think that was 4 or 5 times in total for the UK broadcast. Wouldn’t be so bad if her songs weren’t so depressing.
    Does she know any Prodigy?

Comment by Brian (@TheFifthDoctor) – August 13, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally disagree that the opening was good. It was like a tourism campaign for the U.K.

Comment by Christine – August 13, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric Idle. Spice Girls Muse’s piano (seriously, I want that thing!!). I do not and never will get how they could let Jessie J sing a Queen song. I don’t have a problem with that girl, but that’s Freddie Mercury’s legacy we’re talking about here. Surely of all the big big names that performed at this (awesome) shindig, SOMEONE else would gladly have done it?

Comment by Katie – August 13, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best was definitely the mass singalong to Oasis (Beady Eye? Pah!) Wonderwall. Everyone really does know that song.
    Also great to see Gary Barlow perform with Take That, especially after his recent family tragedy. Class act!

Comment by Alexis – August 13, 2012 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes I agree on wonderwall.it even made me sing it at home

Comment by Laura – August 13, 2012 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved imagine! :)

Comment by fan – August 13, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw pretty photos of Madness and Ray Davies and Tim Spall and the Who but only on-line on non NBC websites. I DVR’d the closing ceremonies and even added extra time. never saw the Who on the east coast. I fast forwarded thru all the commercials, so suck it NBC advertisers. And NBC execs, I got a voodoo doll with your names on it.

Comment by Ladedotty – August 13, 2012 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spice Girls! And, of course, Boris Johnson dancing along to them. Also enjoyed Take That.

Comment by Alex – August 13, 2012 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well i must be the only one who actually liked Jessie J, she has such a special voice, I love it !! And she kept me awake when all I wanted to do was sleep because of all the boring songs !!

Comment by Sandy – August 13, 2012 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not alone! I love her too. Her voice isn’t for everyone but I thought her performances were the best of all of them. She’s one of the few acts who can actually sing live. That said, I was thrilled to see Tinie Tempah.

Comment by dude – August 13, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not like jessie j singing we will rock you, nto at all…it#s such a great song though!

Comment by k. – August 13, 2012 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the closing ceremony and the London games but i kept asking myself, where was Adele? The highest selling British singer of the past year and she was no where to be seen. IMO Sydney is still the best Olympic Games i have seen with London a close 2nd.

Comment by greysfan – August 13, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adele is pregnant, apparently 8 months along, so there’s that.

Comment by Alexis – August 13, 2012 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • biggest selling artist of the entire world…….but yeah 8 months gone…no chance of her being there……………as for Sydney………..meh distant memory and fading fast.

Comment by David – August 13, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah i forgot she was that far along. It does make a lot of sense.

Comment by greysfan – August 13, 2012 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best bit was when the camera panned to the crowd during the Spice Girls and you saw Boris Johnson and David Cameron dad dancing…hilarious.

Comment by pickles – August 13, 2012 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Rio/Brazil was the coolest and most creative part. Also liked the John Lennon bit.

Comment by Leila – August 13, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC did air The Who….an hour later, after the stupid monkey show and the news. I DVR’d it because it was too late for me to stay up to watch. Completely ridiculous. If it wasn’t for Grimm I would never watch NBC again!

Comment by Michelle – August 13, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand the comment in the article about George Michael singing like Cher.

Comment by scorpo – August 13, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPICE UP YOUR LIFE

Comment by lipsticksocialism – August 13, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spice Girls: best moment! And London’s mayor dancing also.
    But for real, spice up your life!

Comment by Leo – August 13, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elbow were great. Shame the BBC commentators talked over so much of them. The Who were the other standout performers. Enjoyed most of the ceremony but would have liked a different vocalist to accompany Queen (with a rendition of We Are The Champions).

Comment by Tim – August 13, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC didn’t even acknowledge that Elbow was performing when the athletes were entering the stadium…Not even one cutaway from the athletes to even show that there was a band on and not just a track being played over the PA system. Would’ve been nice if they could’ve given some credit to the band there. Then again, at least they were heard…other acts didn’t even get to be background noise.

Comment by Tess – August 13, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spice Girls ftw!

Comment by manganxet – August 13, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best part? That they’re over. What a colossal waste of money.

Comment by MLO – August 13, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Spice Girls, Muse and Take That were the highlight of the night for me

Comment by Me llamaban Ito (@verogeller) – August 13, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spice Girls were the highlight for me.

Comment by Patti – August 13, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss “The Who” or did my station cut it or did they nor appear??Thanks for any inf anyone can provide

Comment by jOE sMITH – August 13, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They aired them after the preview of the monkey show and the local news after midnight.

Comment by TeachNY – August 13, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any time we get to see Take That on US TV is a highlight!

Comment by Eric – August 13, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am shocked about this, how Take That is not known in USA, they are like amazing, and this is coming from a Backstreet Boys fan. They are as good as them and as any Boy Band that was born in the 90s. Not like these new wannabe like 1D

Comment by Maria Gabriela Perez (@Gottara) – August 13, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked John Lennon, Spice Girls, the Oasis song, and even the Pink Floyd song sung by what had to be the red head from Harry Potter lol. What I didn’t like was everything NBC has done over the last two weeks. They ruined last night with all the damn commercials. They could have aired this live and gotten it all in before the news without that stupid retrospective. Holding viewers hostage until after the news for the big name acts is BS. And even the retrospective was bad. A lot of athletes got looked over for others who they feel are more telegenic or whatever.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – August 13, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post