Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment From London 2012, Day 15?

david boudiaIf I’m being completely honest, I entered Day 15 of NBC’s primetime Olympics coverage feeling a little burned out on the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Who’dve thunk, then, that I’d get my most satisfying post-event cry at the end of Saturday night’s Men’s 10-meter Platform Diving competition.

Indeed, watching what NBC’s rock-solid commentators called both diving’s “premiere event” and its “deepest field” provided the perfect storm of artistic beauty, nail-biting suspense, and raw emotion.

David Boudia of Team USA (who looks a little like a young Jim Carrey, no?) proved mesmerizing in all six of his dives, sending his awesome parents into alternating fits of jubilation and sobs of joy. Coach Adam Soldati added to the theater of it all, especially with his totally pmumped-up response to Boudia’s fourth dive, a flawlessly executed reverse 3 1/2 sommersault move, and the hug he doled out to Boudia when the competition was over.

Heading into the final dive, Boudia was tied for second with China’s Qiu Bo, and only 15/100 points behind One Direction singer Tom Daley of Britain, and when he hit the water with all the splash of a penny being dropped from 10 feet, it was clear the Gold would be his. A clearly heartbroken Bo finished well — but not quite as brilliantly — to take the Silver, while Daley delighted his hometown crowd with Bronze (not to mention his general adorableness).

Let’s close with a quote from Boudia that was part of NBC’s intro package: “It takes a crazy person to jump off a three-story building. I guess I developed that craziness along the way.” Or, as they say, one man’s crazy is the highlight of one couch potato’s Saturday night TV experience.

What were your favorite moments from Day 15? Did you love when Daley got thrown in the pool by some British comrades after he’d realized he won an individual medal? Sound off in the comments!

1. matt says:

I turned the channel the moment Costas announced that Tom Brokaw was going to give the far left view on UK history. Yes, that was at 8:01 PM.

• connerc says:

So, are you saying Germany bombing England in WWII is the far left view of history? I’d love to know what exactly you think happened. Enlighten us.

• Far left, are you so set to thinking that everything in the media is politically bound that you can’t see it was just a story about England and its resolve to survive against unsurmountable odds. Do you realise without the US helping in that historical moment we’d be living in the United States of Germany right now.

Let’s still try and remember we are all American’s here and stop pitting right against left and try and come together. Part of the reason we’re still limping along is because of that, if there would be anything you could have taken from that story is alone we are an island, together we are an unstoppable force.

• Ali says:

It’s past your bed-time. Put your toys away and run off now, silly, ignorant troll. You’re dismissed.

• Hannah says:

You are utterly absurd.

• ultimate troll says:

Matt just trolled you all.

Doesn’t make him anything more than a troll, but dayum people – don’t feed the trollls!

2. Lorena says:

Mexico winning the gold in futbol, the best!! Bahamas winning the 4×400 men in track and field and Usain Bolt!!!

3. Eliza says:

Definitely David Boudia winning gold. Was so happy for him!

4. Janey says:

Mo Farah doing the double and then the Mo-Bot to celebrate. And Mo doing the Bolt pose and Bolt doing the Mo-Bot just topped the night off!

5. Kyle says:

I think David Boudia looks like Paul Wesley from “Vampire Diaries”. I was in tears when he won the gold…so exciting!

6. Ali says:

Besides seeing Phelps and the lady gymnasts, I enjoyed the synchronized swimming more than I expected. But, the highlight was seeing TOM BROKAW with Costas. It was SO good to see him again. He still has that smooth voice and excellent delivery. (He’s the only reason I didn’t panic during 9/11. I was glued to the tube for what seemed to be 48 hours straight with Tom and he kept me together.)

I wish he’d come out of retirement. I’d love to see him each night again on the news. Even if he’s just part time, or a guest newscaster, I’d love to see him. Miss you Tom!

Didn’t feel the love for the opening ceremonies but am looking forward to the closing ceremony only if The Rolling Stones play. If they don’t play….meh……

7. Juan says:

First let me say that I usually never say anything bad about coverage but I hate NBC, I’m so freaking mad that the didn’t show me my Brazil vs. USA match, it said you were gonna show it and the you only show the ending of the first set and end of the last set, I hate it especially since it was such a good match, I could have watched it online but Noo they just screwed it up. Anyways increadibly proud of Brazil for having that turaround and winning, I love that team, def one of fav. moments of whole olympics

• 24fps says:

This comment is jutified. The match seemed eight minutes long.

• cjeffery7 says:

unfortunately, because the US didn’t win, it was not deemed worthy of more prime time – prime time apparently being at 10:40pm, when late night tv usually starts… *eye roll NBC*

• BEST. MATCH. EVER! I’m Brazilian, and we’re SO proud of our girls! They did an AMAZING job! The whole country was screaming, cheering, and, why not, tweeting and Facebooking our supporting for them! The USA has been the strongest team throughout the competition and we know it’s a huge opponent to beat! It was amazing! <3

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah, pathetic. One minute US is running away with it, just utterly destorying Brazil in the first game. We got this Oh man do we (USA) totally have this. Finally. After all these years. Come back from commercial and yup more of the…. umm what it’s the fourth set? wait we lost the last two? wait we lost everything? What the? It robbed all of the excitement for fans of both teams. They kept going on about have you ever seen such a stunning turn around. Well, NBC, no, no we have not! Because the only people you showed it to were your announcers! There is something called a viewing audience.

And they skipped the gold medals for the men’s marathon during the closing ceremony!

8. David says:

Mo doing the double amazing what a great race and well bolt bringing it home and proving what a true legend he is……………..oh and mexico showing Brazil what a competent goal keeper looks like :D

9. ejones says:

Daley is still only 18, he was in the last Olympics at just age 14. I remember an interview about one of his biggest problems since i.e. having to adjust to growing by over 6 ins in a year. More likely he’s had to adjust to being attracted, and being attractive, to young ladies but he wouldn’t say that would he?

10. Anzie says:

Best moment was when Norway won the gold medal in Handball!

11. lilz says:

I loved Tom Daley and the whole British diving team seeming positively overjoyed at getting a bronze medal. I thought that was totally adorable. The contrast between them winning bronze and the Chinese crying over winning silver was quite interesting.

• Templar says:

Yes, but the Chinese guy has to go home to China and face the consequences of not winning gold. [Shudder]

• Sadie says:

Silver is still an amazing accomplishment but let’s be real, it’s the worst feeling when you win it. When you win gold, you’re the best. When you win bronze, you’re happy to just be on the podium. When you’re silver, you were soclose and worse by just a little…it’s a tough pill to swallow. I thought it was absolutely adorable that David was in complete shock over his medal and my first thought when Team GB jumped in the pool was that I hope no one left their cell phone in their pocket….

This is also the 2nd Olympics in which the Chinese haven’t won the 10m men’s platform (they came so close to sweeping diving last time, this was the only event they lost on whereas this time they lost two) so I can’t wait for the dramatic NBC fluff piece in Rio with the shots of the divers training at the national center and talking about the AGONY of having to settle for silver in consecutive Olympics. ~Will it be their time to take back the crown?~

12. Jared says:

David Boudia was the best moment of the Olympics, period!

Best news ever! Totally deserved! History making!

#davidboudiaolympics2012

13. Jacqi says:

David Boudia winning Gold in men’s diving! Loved the look on his face!

• Maggie says:

You could tell he was totally shocked. to go from being the last diver to qualify for the semis (18th place) to winning, what a feeling that must have been. the commentators were right on, he had a look on his face thru the semis in the finals, like nothing was going to faze him & he was totally in a zone.

14. jen says:

I agree. This was totally awesome!

15. Polly says:

Probably the fact that there was no Doctor Who in the closing ceremony too.

16. Brendan says:

When David Boudia saw the last score and realized that he’d won the gold medal, it was subtle but such a great moment. But when he fought so hard to keep the tears away on the podium, that was it for me. I’m fairly certain that cemented him as the most adorable American athlete of this year’s Olympics.

17. Oralia says:

When Mexico won gold medal in soccer :)

• FreeHaley says:

That was nuts when Brazil was two feet away from two goals in the final two minutes, almost the most insane comeback! And the bicycle kick goal Mexico missed by 2 inches.

18. Sandy says:

When France won gold medal in handball !!