Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Guest Actor in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Emmys, Polls

Imagine this year’s Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series Emmy race as a well-balanced scale that could tip either way, depending on the Academy’s whim.

On one tray, you’ve got men who’ve been here before. The same Good Wife role that helped Dylan Baker to a nomination this year did so in 2010. Justified’s Jeremy Davies is also back after making the category last year. And Emmy favorite Michael J. Fox – who won the statue in 2009 for his turn on Rescue Me and was in the running in 2006 for Boston Legal, not to mention his wins in the Family Ties/Spin City years – repeats his 2011 nod for playing The Good Wife’s Louis Canning. And with Fox also up for a comedy trophy for playing himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm, he just may leave the ceremony with both arms full.

On the other tray are the newbies. Mark Margolis (Breaking Bad), Ben Feldman (Mad Men) and Jason Ritter (Parenthood) may not have the Emmy experience of their fellow nominees, but their performances this year make them strong competitors nonetheless.

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actors to the podium when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite – TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! – then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. To stay up to speed on all our races, make sure to follow TVLine’s Michael Slezak @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (37)

• They’d be crazy not to award Mark Margolis’s insanely captivating performance of that jittery old nutbag.

Comment by Jonathan F. – August 11, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There should be a separate award for Jeremy Davis’ hair.

Comment by aboleyn (@aboleyn) – August 11, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded, his hair is a work of art.

Comment by AJ – August 12, 2012 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I interpret the poll results- those who voted for Mark Margolis= those who have seen Breaking Bad. Mark Margolis all the way!

Comment by Kat – August 11, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hilarious! I have seen Breaking Bad, and voted for Jeremy Davies, but I did give this some serious thought, because Margolis was very good. That final look he gave Gus before the bomb exploded was just haunting. There’s something weird about me and Jeremy Davies where I have to vote for him in these kinds of contests anytime I can, and I don’t know why. Call it a character flaw of mine. But I loved your joke, it was very good.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 11, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • me too i just thought jeremy davies was so good these last 2 years on justified, its a shame that show didn’t get the recognition it deserves, at least last year there were 4 acting nods. Still don’t understand how you can have four actors from one show get nominated and not get a best drama nod

Comment by chris – August 12, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, in the absence of the person who SHOULD win – Paul Rudd – I vote Mark Margolis.

Comment by CJ – August 11, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What drama did Paul Rudd do this year? Are you mixing up Parks and Rec in the drama category?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 11, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Messina, from Damages…Oh wait.

Comment by Anon123 – August 11, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This^. Even worse is that Dylan Baker was snubbed from the supporting actor category for Damages.

Comment by Chris – August 12, 2012 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ding ding ding ding ding ding

Comment by Pat – August 11, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Margolis…because seriously, he gave a brilliant performance using only his face!

Comment by John – August 11, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Perry’s work on TGW was spectacular. Would have been great to see him recognized in a category that isn’t his usual.

Comment by mia – August 11, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I’m pretty sure he won (or was at least nominated) in this category for The West Wing.

Comment by Sam – August 12, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. Thought he was great on TGW. Hope they bring his character back even though he has a new show coming out.

Comment by sophie – August 12, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am curious to see if Margolis can win without having a single line of dialogue in that episode. It might be deserved for him to win, but I’m not sure the Emmy voters will go for it. I see them being really snooty thinking the character would have to perform dialogue, but you never know. They did nominate him. I think it goes to either Michael J. Fox or Dylan Baker. They seem to like Baker a lot, and Fox seems to be a favorite in the Emmy odds. But he is one of those ones I always think will win, but never does. Plus his double nomination in the comedy category could hurt his chances? I’m curious to see how it turns out for this category. I voted for Jeremy Davies here, but I know I wasn’t fair to do that. His performance on season 3 wasn’t as fun and interesting as his performance in season 2, and Margolis played both evil and heartbreaking very well in Breaking Bad. But I can’t force myself to not vote for Davies. I just can’t do it. I fell in like with him on Lost, I became infatuated with him in Solaris, and I fell in love with him in Secretary.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 11, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t have to be about “being snooty” or wanting dialogue. I thought that Margolis was terrific but I’d understand if the voters didn’t think that the acting was nuanced enough to warrant a trophy. 90% of the time he was on screen, he wore the same angry face. If we are talking acting well with facial expressions, I think that Giancarlo has him beat…just one of his looks was enough to give me nightmares.

Comment by Michael – August 12, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Margolis’s performance is stunning. Without saying a word, without moving a limb, he conveys more than most tv actors could ever dream

Comment by Mína – August 11, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MJFox will get it.. He is a favorite and the Parkinson’s gives him the edge. <– sad, but true.

Comment by Dark Defender – August 12, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you come across really ignorant there just to let you know. its incredibly difficult for him to continue acting with his parkinsons and yet he does and is absolutely fantastic in everything he does. if i had my way he would win every time he is up for an award just for that but his performances are incredibly nuanced and he always manages to build a really interesting character no matter how little screen time he gets. to suggest he would get the award purely due to sympathy is disgraceful and does a huge disservice to everything he does

Comment by Alan – August 12, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WRONG. If this is true, he would have won last year.

Comment by Ethan – August 13, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping Mos Def would get a nomination for Dexter. He was the only bright spot in season 6.

Comment by AJ – August 12, 2012 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While Jeremy Davies was great on Justified, I was hoping for Mykelti Williamson, he was better.

Comment by AJ – August 12, 2012 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christopher Meloni, True Blood

Comment by Jessica – August 12, 2012 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hector. He trolled the DEA til the day he died. Literally. What a boss and what a performance!

Comment by bluthfamily12 – August 12, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Michael J. Fox turning into the new Betty White? Every time he guest stars on any tv series he picks up an Emmy nom?!?

Comment by davey – August 12, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tends to happen when you are great at what you do.

Comment by Deena – August 12, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael J Fox had again great performances in The Good Wife. They have great chemistry with Julianna Margulies.

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – August 12, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously do not expect him to win. But I’m 100% rooting for Mark Cyr. AKA Jason Ritter. THRILLED he was recognized even.

Comment by soarin829 – August 12, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Just wish Parenthood got more recognition as its one of the best show on TV.

Comment by JustMy2Cents – August 19, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • michael j fox. the guy deserves it for the fantastic performances he puts into everything while dealing with his parkinsons

Comment by Alan – August 12, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MJF is so great on TGW but Dylan Baker is so naturally creepy as Colin Sweeney it would be nice to see him win.

Comment by Deena – August 12, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Dylan Baker for a better role? Should have been nominated for “Damages”.

Comment by bhm1304 – August 12, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d vote for Ben Feldman, he’s the first supporting male copywriter character on Mad Men I’ve been at all interested in in its five-season run. I think that’s an important development for the show, I hope he sticks around.

Comment by Sean D – August 12, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. To me, Ginsberg was the break-out character of season 5, and I hope Ben Feldman gets promoted to regular status next year.

Comment by thiagofls – August 13, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tio Hector was incredible and deserves the prize.

Comment by lucaltair815 – August 28, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post