Emmys

Emmys 2012: Who Should Win Best Guest Actor in a Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Imagine this year’s Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series Emmy race as a well-balanced scale that could tip either way, depending on the Academy’s whim.

On one tray, you’ve got men who’ve been here before. The same Good Wife role that helped Dylan Baker to a nomination this year did so in 2010. Justified’s Jeremy Davies is also back after making the category last year. And Emmy favorite Michael J. Fox – who won the statue in 2009 for his turn on Rescue Me and was in the running in 2006 for Boston Legal, not to mention his wins in the Family Ties/Spin City years – repeats his 2011 nod for playing The Good Wife’s Louis Canning. And with Fox also up for a comedy trophy for playing himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm, he just may leave the ceremony with both arms full.

On the other tray are the newbies. Mark Margolis (Breaking Bad), Ben Feldman (Mad Men) and Jason Ritter (Parenthood) may not have the Emmy experience of their fellow nominees, but their performances this year make them strong competitors nonetheless.

What would you do if you had the power to send one of these fine actors to the podium when the Emmys are handed out in September? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite – TVLine voting closes Sept. 14, so act now! – then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next month, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor. To stay up to speed on all our races, make sure to follow TVLine’s Michael Slezak @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jonathan F. says:

They’d be crazy not to award Mark Margolis’s insanely captivating performance of that jittery old nutbag.

2. There should be a separate award for Jeremy Davis’ hair.

3. Kat says:

How I interpret the poll results- those who voted for Mark Margolis= those who have seen Breaking Bad. Mark Margolis all the way!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Hilarious! I have seen Breaking Bad, and voted for Jeremy Davies, but I did give this some serious thought, because Margolis was very good. That final look he gave Gus before the bomb exploded was just haunting. There’s something weird about me and Jeremy Davies where I have to vote for him in these kinds of contests anytime I can, and I don’t know why. Call it a character flaw of mine. But I loved your joke, it was very good.

• chris says:

me too i just thought jeremy davies was so good these last 2 years on justified, its a shame that show didn’t get the recognition it deserves, at least last year there were 4 acting nods. Still don’t understand how you can have four actors from one show get nominated and not get a best drama nod

4. CJ says:

Well, in the absence of the person who SHOULD win – Paul Rudd – I vote Mark Margolis.

5. Anon123 says:

Chris Messina, from Damages…Oh wait.

6. Pat says:

Ding ding ding ding ding ding

7. John says:

Margolis…because seriously, he gave a brilliant performance using only his face!

8. mia says:

Matthew Perry’s work on TGW was spectacular. Would have been great to see him recognized in a category that isn’t his usual.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

I am curious to see if Margolis can win without having a single line of dialogue in that episode. It might be deserved for him to win, but I’m not sure the Emmy voters will go for it. I see them being really snooty thinking the character would have to perform dialogue, but you never know. They did nominate him. I think it goes to either Michael J. Fox or Dylan Baker. They seem to like Baker a lot, and Fox seems to be a favorite in the Emmy odds. But he is one of those ones I always think will win, but never does. Plus his double nomination in the comedy category could hurt his chances? I’m curious to see how it turns out for this category. I voted for Jeremy Davies here, but I know I wasn’t fair to do that. His performance on season 3 wasn’t as fun and interesting as his performance in season 2, and Margolis played both evil and heartbreaking very well in Breaking Bad. But I can’t force myself to not vote for Davies. I just can’t do it. I fell in like with him on Lost, I became infatuated with him in Solaris, and I fell in love with him in Secretary.

• Michael says:

It doesn’t have to be about “being snooty” or wanting dialogue. I thought that Margolis was terrific but I’d understand if the voters didn’t think that the acting was nuanced enough to warrant a trophy. 90% of the time he was on screen, he wore the same angry face. If we are talking acting well with facial expressions, I think that Giancarlo has him beat…just one of his looks was enough to give me nightmares.

10. Mína says:

Mark Margolis’s performance is stunning. Without saying a word, without moving a limb, he conveys more than most tv actors could ever dream

11. Dark Defender says:

MJFox will get it.. He is a favorite and the Parkinson’s gives him the edge. <– sad, but true.

• Alan says:

you come across really ignorant there just to let you know. its incredibly difficult for him to continue acting with his parkinsons and yet he does and is absolutely fantastic in everything he does. if i had my way he would win every time he is up for an award just for that but his performances are incredibly nuanced and he always manages to build a really interesting character no matter how little screen time he gets. to suggest he would get the award purely due to sympathy is disgraceful and does a huge disservice to everything he does

• Ethan says:

WRONG. If this is true, he would have won last year.

12. AJ says:

I was hoping Mos Def would get a nomination for Dexter. He was the only bright spot in season 6.

13. AJ says:

While Jeremy Davies was great on Justified, I was hoping for Mykelti Williamson, he was better.

14. Jessica says:

Christopher Meloni, True Blood

15. Hector. He trolled the DEA til the day he died. Literally. What a boss and what a performance!

16. davey says:

Is Michael J. Fox turning into the new Betty White? Every time he guest stars on any tv series he picks up an Emmy nom?!?

17. Michael J Fox had again great performances in The Good Wife. They have great chemistry with Julianna Margulies.

18. soarin829 says:

I seriously do not expect him to win. But I’m 100% rooting for Mark Cyr. AKA Jason Ritter. THRILLED he was recognized even.

19. Alan says:

michael j fox. the guy deserves it for the fantastic performances he puts into everything while dealing with his parkinsons

20. Deena says:

MJF is so great on TGW but Dylan Baker is so naturally creepy as Colin Sweeney it would be nice to see him win.

21. bhm1304 says:

How about Dylan Baker for a better role? Should have been nominated for “Damages”.

22. Sean D says:

I’d vote for Ben Feldman, he’s the first supporting male copywriter character on Mad Men I’ve been at all interested in in its five-season run. I think that’s an important development for the show, I hope he sticks around.

• thiagofls says:

Agreed. To me, Ginsberg was the break-out character of season 5, and I hope Ben Feldman gets promoted to regular status next year.

23. lucaltair815 says:

Tio Hector was incredible and deserves the prize.