Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Chandra Wilson, Kevin McKidd Set to Direct in Season 9

They’re baaaack… in the director’s chair.

Grey’s Anatomy vets Chandra Wilson (Bailey) and Kevin McKidd (Owen) will once again step behind the cameras of the ABC medical drama this season as directors, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Ominous Season 9 Premiere Title Revealed!

This marks the pair’s seventh and fourth time, respectively, helming episodes of Grey’s. Details on which installments they’ll be presiding over were not immediately available.

RELATED | Which Grey’s Vet is Checking Out This Fall?

Season 9 of Grey’s Anatomy kicks off Thursday, Sept. 27 on ABC.

1. Ok then! says:

“Details on which installments they’ll be presiding over were not immediately available.”

Are they available NOW? ;)

2. karen delosreyes says:

So mad on how the season ended it was not right lol

• sama says:

You are absoultly right, I cann’t wait to watch the new season
      I am a big fan of this series
      And in love with kevin mcckid

3. becky says:

I just don’t understand why they had to kill Lexie. I mean, if both Chyler Leigh and Eric Dane are leaving the show, couldn’t we have just got the ending for them everybody wanted? I hated it. i hated how they built up that romance, and crushed it at every possible chance.

• Graysfan says:

AMEN. Worst finale ever.

• I agree 100%!!! So frustrating and disappointing!

• Laura says:

I hope at least since Eric is leaving they do not “KILL” him too! Hopefully, he will be ok from the terrible plane crash and they will have him leave due to medically related problems to the accident.

• Megan says:

I completely agree, It’d be one thing if one was leaving, but since they are both leaving,. they could have stayed for enough episodes to give them a happy ending, stupid show!! This is the least excited I’ve been to see the new season, I’m really disappointed in Shonda

• Yvonne says:

Yeah, couldn’t they have fallen back in love, got married, and he got a job in India or something. Why kill her off, she was great!!!

• sama says:

Oh yeah, I still crying every time I watch the final ( and I do a lot)
        Why in hell they killed her!!! She was so adorable wiz her hiding love for the great sloan,
        I hope they find any way to put her back in
        . And I hope the new season be much romance and better than the last

Hope so :(

• dmk says:

…sometimes the actors choose to move on to other projects so the writers have no choice, it is a 2 way street…believe me the writers will be missing them as much as their fans…

• sheila says:

not everyone wanted them back together. I didn’t…

• Mark says:

Eric Dane decided AFTER the finale to leave GA.
      But nonetheless, I agree with you that it was the worst finale so far.

• Marie says:

I agree

• erin says:

I know totally agree with you…why couldn’t They have had the happy ending really..I’m so tired of unhappy ending and characters being killed off

• trancefly says:

Yes I also hated this end ,Lexie and Marc where almost there to refound there self and then they both die pffff

4. colleen foglesong says:

Ii was also mad how the season ended and I heard more mght be leaving the show. I love this show and watch it every day on Lifetime and I am waiting for the new season. I just hope I am not to upset.

5. ram11273 says:

I read in US magazine that Eric Dane is leaving midseason.

6. Jenn says:

I was really hoping that Lexi and mark got together for the long run. I wonder what’s next for kepner( misspelled)

7. Jeremy says:

@ram11273 Eric dane is leaving after the second episode.

8. kevin says:

Show is unbelieveable now , no one person can go through as much as that staff has

• N says:

well, that’s kind of what you’d expect in this kind of show! btw, nobody said it wasnt unreasonable. chirstina, herself, said that in the finale.

9. manal says:

I love the show and I’m waiting for the new season.
    Excited for what going to happen in it .

10. Carolyn says:

I’m still hoping last episode was all just a dream.

11. jacqui says:

for 2 years I watch at least one greys episode everyday before I go to sleep and since the finale I haven’t been able to watch a single episode I’m so sick over lexie.

• Debbie says:

Maybe they will have her back Meredith will be waking from a bad dream, hence the entire previous years episodes never happened…. sound familiar??? Dallas fans out there???

12. magda says:

No me gusto q mataran a Lexie me agradaba mucho su personaje, mejor se hubiera ido a otro hospital y de vez en cuando apareciera, pero q la mataran me
    desagrado, en fin nimodo.

13. Terry says:

I agree qith everybody about the season finale. I was sick that they killed off Lexie. It ahould have been the other red headed dr.(cant remember name) i didnt know that lexie and Mc Steamy were leaving the show though. I am curious to see how this season is going to be.

14. shekinah cates says:

I’ve been watching greys anatomy on netflix for a little while and i finished 8 seasons in 2 months and im am so excited for season 9 and i cant wait for it!!!!!

15. Amber Cain says:

I was so mad about the way things ended shonda has never disappointed me in the past so maybe theres a surprise im hoping there is because if there isnt I will never watch that show again

• Jea says:

lol Isnt that a little dramatic? You said this is the first time she disappointed you and you just give up on her. Overall its a good show, and we all know we’re pretty hooked lol no one’s going anywhere.

16. Harmony says:

Heartbroken about lexi being cutout like that,she was so great at what she did please change it, make it like a dream or something:-)

17. Nooren Kabir says:

How could Shonda KILL Lexie… She was one of the best of the bunch… I’ve started watching Grey’s from the first season… I have understood why Burke & George left but Lexie diess??! Mark Leaves!??! But why really… This is by far my most favorite show! I can’t understand why this had to happen… It just looks like one of the Soaps now. I just wish Lexie’s death was just a dream… Shonda should think abt changing the season Finale… I’m sure every viewer is disappointed by the ending…

18. Jamie says:

I’m thinking Mark dies. This way, he and Lexie are together again, and get their happily ever after.

19. Lind says:

It was actually Chyler Leigh’s idea to leave the show. She told the producer at the beginning of the season that she wanted it to be her last season and they worked together to maker her exit memorable.

20. Shaina says:

@Harmony: Lexi wasn’t cut out. She chose to leave the show. If I remember correctly, she wanted to spend more time with her kids and hubby.

21. Evelyn Kurtock says:

I was very.sad when they killed off Lexie. She was an important part of Meredith’s growing up. If Eric Dane is leaving, it would have been better if they had died together in the crash. There is always cast shake ups and changes, but with Grey’s, we have such an emotional attachment to.all of the cast members, I’m still upset over George’s death….

22. Araceli says:

Shonda it was really dissapointing you killed off a good character in your show. It really didn’t have to end like that her dying. Maybe she could have been traumatized because the crash and maybe she would have been in a mental institution idk anything but her dying! It’s absurd!!

23. sheena says:

I <3 Jackson & Kepner!

24. Jen Colvin says:

I don’t want either of them to leave. I am hoping they just think shes dead but she’s really not. LOL Like they do in the soap operas. I like the idea of it being a dream, and that it is a lie that Eric is leaving. But I know it’s probably not, Hear is hoping. I agree with Evelyn Kurtock, If they are both leaving then they should have died together. Or leave the show but in a way that they can come back. Still can’t want till the opener. It has to be better then the finally.

25. Ariel says:

TheRes a total of 6 leaving. Either killed off or just gone

26. kl says:

I’ve been watching this show since the pilot. That was the worst finale ever-but I’m still holding hope for the new season.

27. anonymouse1013 says:

Actually, Kevin McKidd has announced that he’s directing episode 4

28. taneisha says:

I agree with most of the other fans I really don’t think they should have killed off Lexi. We all have to deal with death of loved ones and other horrors of life daily. We watch these tv shows to get away from these things for a little while. These characters have come into our lives on a weekly basis for months and years. Then they are dead,dead its too final. Leaves no room for hope without hope what’s the point of anything

29. SamJ says:

For Gods sake you lot, get a grip! Its not real!

30. Kris says:

I’ve been a fan since the beginning. I will miss “Mark” and “Lexie” a lot, but actors move on for whatever reason. That’s just life in the acting world! I thought the ending was great. It left me wondering how everyone is going to cope with another tragedy. I love this show because it doesn’t keep you in some fantasy world, like soap operas do. That’s what makes it great! I think some folks are taking this all a little to personal, but I guarantee you won’t stop watching! You want to see what’s gonna happen just like everyone else!

31. Emma says:

Does anyone know when it kick off in Sweden? Please

32. Candy says:

Get real u guys! U talk about being angry w/ someone for having Lexi die & u don’t even know why she left the show! When George was killed by being a hero, yet died horribly by doing that brave act, I was so shocked! I was surprised by the deaths of the gunman even though they said more wld be leaving the show. I was so taken w/ last season’s finale. They have such wonderful writers! I’ve loved the way this show has been built from the beginning. What I don’t appreciate is finding out who is leaving before it happens. It’ the same principle as reading a good book & having someone tell u the end of it before u can get to the end. The directors r not responsible for who leaves or why. They’re responsibility begins w/ & ends w/ doing a great job. Period. Bad & downright evil things happen to good people. We all know that. We need to be thankful that it’s not like a daytime soap. This is an intriguing & medically sound ride that we are all taking together. If we don’t like it then we should not continue this venture, but we all know that we’ll keep on riding because the suspense is what keeps us going to find out what happens to these people we’ve come to know & admire for their contribution of their lives!

33. Maria says:

I loved the finale. It was not expected. And all viewers were left shocked and upset. It made an impact, which is proven by all your comments. Next season will be even better. And no doubt full of more surprises. Love it.

When does it start again in the UK??

34. Sofia Costa says:

Pois eu acho isso mesmo Maria! Este final tem dado muito que falar e pensar… Se tivessem sido happy ever ever after não tinha tinho esta repercussão toda!! Apesar de ter ficado chocada com a morte da Lexie e durante uns dias não conseguia parar de pensar naquele episodio… Na vida real é mesmo assim, as coisas más só acontecem a pessoas boas!! Eu Amo Grey’s Anatomy!! My favorit show ever!! Como em Portugal da sempre mais tarde eu ando sempre a ver através da net o que da no pais de origem!! Não consigo esperar até dar na Fox Live da Tv por cabo… Estou sempre ansiosa que chegue a 6a feira para ver na free tv!! Mas tive muita pena de a Lexie ter morrido e principalmente por deixar a serie… Mc Dream is leaving… My god!! I just love him!! I am so sad…. :(

35. Skye says:

Shonda is great! I loved Lexie too, but in life, sometimes, the people you love die! I love Grey’s because it’s not like one of those predictable shows. People who are saying they won’t ever watch it again are probably the same people who said the same thing when George died; & you still watched it, didn’t you? & the seasons after that were great, weren’t they? It was a great finale. Yes, you didn’t expect it; but it was still great! & that’s why you’re still commenting here.
    Can’t wait for season 9.

36. dpcjoyce says:

I was a fan from the pilot. I faithfully watched every episode. There were many things over the years that I didn’t like, but said, “well that’s TV” until this finale … I hated this finale. Worst ever! There comes that point where you say enough is enough there are too many other good shows to watch on TV. Move on people … find a better show.

37. Bhreid says:

Lexie wanted off the show.

38. Debi says:

I don’t know what happened but my gut says no one left the show voluntarily. I think their contracts didn’t get picked up and they are putting the best spin on it. Rhimes is spread pretty thin these days with three shows on the air. I think it came down to she couldn’t or wouldn’t take the time to think up a decent story line for some of the characters and decided their time was up.

Now on to the topic of this post……….I am glad that the actors who have expressed an interest in directing are being given the opportunity to do so.

39. lei says:

I agree to those who believe that this is an excellent show..its true that its really hard to say goodbye to those we love and left the show.but i think this is what makes it more exciting because we all dont know what will hapen and thats the reason why we keep on watching it and thats actually the reason why upto now its on air and the fact that it was considered to be one of the longest medical drama series it means they are all doing a great job!!!i love callie and mark by the way so im really sad and frustrated that mark is leaving but somehow thankful because callie will stay.cant wait for the next season!!!♥♥

40. jerica says:

I can’t wait for the new season either and I was also terribly sad Lex died, I can’t imagine McSteamy leaving the show or McDreamy!! (Which I heard he was too) :(

41. Hildalys says:

I hate that ending! !!! I want lexy back!

42. ive been watching greys since the begining ,, ive seen great characters leave or get killed ,, but that is what makes the show ,, people come people go ,, it gives room for more scripts to be filled ,, come on people ,, it cant be a soap ,, its a show ,, and a great one ,, i hope that it continues for a long time,,but if not it will be definilty missed , ive cried over this shpw more times than i can count ,, and there isnt many that can bring out that emotion in me , so shondra ,, keep up the great work hope to see it in the next 20 yrs to come and keep it exciting ,, the season finally was excellent ,, thoes of you eho might be upset are still sitiiing there on the egde of your seat ,, wating to see the 3 part of flight ,, cant wait just a few more days and it will be aired,,EXCITED have the record button ready!!!