Fall TV Preview

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS: LA, Scandal, Castle, Haven, White Collar, Nikita and More!

Is more fun ahead for NCIS: LA‘s Deeks and Kensi? Will a Scandalous exit hit a gladiator hard? Who else on Castle is gettin’ good lovin’? What White Collar crime will darken the Burkes’ doorstep next? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from fall and summer shows.

RELATED | NCIS: Los Angeles Scoop: Kensi Makes Nice With a Suburgatory Mean Girl?

NCIS: LA | Leading off with a dip into the reader mailbag, Laura wants to know if there’s any “Densi” goodness coming up in Season 4. The good news: There is. The better news: You won’t have to wait long for it. Coming off the super-intense season opener (airing Sept. 25), Episode 2 will deliver what Shane Brennan is calling “the funniest episode we ever made.” The show boss is mum on why exactly the outing’s a riot, but says, “The Kensi-Deeks fans are going to love it. It has a lot of fun in it. [At the table read] everyone was rolling around on the floor laughing.” Brennan gives proper due to the interplay between Daniela Ruah and Eric Christian Olsen. “You can write the material, but unless there’s chemistry… it can just lay there very flat,” he explains. “But we have a cast that’s very good with humor.”

Body of Proof | Part and parcel with the many casting changes on tap for Season 3 of this medical drama/procedural, fans should expect a shift in intensity, as well. “ABC really liked our last couple episodes, because they had really high stakes,” Dana Delany says of the outbreak arc featuring guest star Luke Perry as a CDC bigwig, “so right off the bat we’re back to that.” The series lead goes on to note that while Megan & Co. are not dealing with the same threat, the drama is “just as crazy and just as dangerous. It’s going to be a little bit insane for a while!”

RELATED | Exclusive: Revamped Body of Proof Rounds Out Season 3 Cast With Game of Thrones Actor

Haven | Aimee asks: “Any word on Haven, which returns in September? Word is Nathan and Audrey are torn apart. Please tell me it’s not some trouble that prevents them from touching à la Dark Angel.” Ah yes, the memorable hands-off sitch between Max and Logan. So sad. Well, “Audrey and Nathan are definitely going to face challenges,” series cocreator Sam Ernst responds. “[But] Brian Milliken, our staff writer and a Dark Angel fan, assures me there is no overlap.” All told, Ernst promises a new run of episodes (kicking off Sept. 21) that is “explosive from start to finish, more so than any season so far — by a mile.”

Cougar Town | If you follow the cast of the ABC TBS comedy on Twitter, you know that on Wednesday they had their first table read for Season 4. What new drama might be on tap for newlyweds Jules and Grayson? It looks like the man of the house is already in the doghouse… for something he did in Jules’ dream. Meanwhile, though the show is famously loath to visit most of the characters’ work places, expect to meet Andy’s boss (and under less-than-ideal circumstances)

White Collar | Wahiba tweeted at me with this impassioned plea: “I need a spoiler about Elizabeth Burke, please!” Erm, file this under Be Careful What You Wished For: Later this season, Elizabeth will again find herself abducted – only this time she won’t be alone. Hubby Peter is nabbed, too.

RELATED | Scandal Grabs Gilmore Alum

Scandal | Each Shonda Rhimes show this fall will need to deal with a dip in male potency. On Grey’s, Eric Dane needs to be written out after a couple of episodes, Private Practice has to account for a suddenly MIA Pete, and Scandal is unspooling a sophomore run sans Henry Ian Cusick. And while Shondaland is mum on the how of any of the above exits, Darby Stanchfield can confirm that Scandal‘s Abby will be hit hardest by Stephen’s absence. “It’ll be really fun for fans to see how she’s handling it,” she tells me, noting, “Abby had a really big crush on him.” That spark of something, however, was only hinted at in the drama’s first six episodes. “There were some moments that we had and things that were written… but they didn’t include it,” Stanchfield shares, echoing what Cusick told me last spring. “There were definitely scenes left on the cutting room floor.”

RELATED | Castle Season 5: 11 Reader Questions Answered!

Castle | Via Twitter, @Esplanie_Org (fittingly) beseeched me for “any scoop on Lanie and Esposito’s relationship.” Let’s just say that, with barely any time passing between seasons, they’re enjoying more of the same somethin’-somethin’ — meaning, a friendship with benefits. “There are still booty calls going on,” says Jon Huertas. “She’ll make a booty call to me, and I follow through. After all, I never want to leave a damsel in distress!” And though Huertas reminds that the first post-breakup hook-up was Dr. Parrish’s idea, “I’m sure I hit redial…. I hit *69.”

Nikita | The CW’s edgy spy drama meets… Game of Thrones? A new casting call is looking to fill the potentially recurring role of Anne, a former Division agent who is loyal to Amanda and is described as a “cold and intimidating, long, tall drink of scary,” someone who could boast an unusual look à la the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Tilda Swinton, Grace Jones or, yes, Thrones‘ Brienne of Tarth — AKA no one I would want to run into in a bar, let alone a dark alley!

Comments (37)

• I trust in Body of Proof and know they will make me proud, I just hope people will give it a shot, this show derserve a season 4 and 5 and 6.

I am looking forward to see how Private Practice season 6 will be, I hope if Addison do leave that the show will be just as good even if she do leave. I think Amelia, Violet, and Charlotte can carry on the show without Addison, these three women are such amazing actress and they have proven it in the past.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – August 9, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BOP also deserves a season 7, 8, 9 and 10!!

Comment by nick1372 – August 9, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, Amelia & Charlotte are what keeps me tuning in. The so-called star/focus of the show lost me quite a while ago with too much fuss relationship drama with Sam and baby drama.

Violet has also lost my patience. I didn’t like her choices and Pete was irritating too

I say “dump everyone but Amelia, Sheldon, Charlotte, Paul adelstein’s and Ben bratt’s characters and move on with fresh blood”.

Comment by megalion – August 10, 2012 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Body of Proof is a great procedural and deserves more credit than it currently gets. I am really p’d off though that they axed half the main cast. I would like to think they at least give us a bit of closure but i doubt that will happen unfortunately.

Comment by greysfan – August 10, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for Castle scoop!! I’ve been waiting to hear something on these two ever since I saw scene with Lanie and Kate having girltalk and wine. Lanie’s excuses for why she dumped him don’t make sense, never have.

Comment by Jennifer – August 9, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elizabeth should be heading towards some serious PTSD for the number of times she’s been abducted and/or threatened. Still, I prefer that to manufactured relationship drama like other shows do. I love the way White Collar’s kept Peter and Elizabeth’s relationship strong over the seasons.

Comment by Artemis – August 9, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Audrey and Nathan. Can’t wait for Haven!

Comment by trista – August 9, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Mikaylah – August 9, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same :))) Can’t wait for Haven to return.

Comment by Michelle – August 9, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So… In season 2 Peter got abducted, in season 3 Elizabeth got abducted, and now in season 4 they’re both getting abducted? Not complaning, I actually like it.

Comment by AJ – August 9, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder if they’re lives were this exciting before Neal?

Comment by Mikaylah – August 9, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt it…lol

Comment by Deena – August 10, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the castle scoop but I couldn´t care less about Esplanie.

Comment by monica – August 9, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by Ivy – August 9, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not falling all over myself for Esplanie scoop either, but what exactly is the point of saying stuff like this? Spoilers aren’t made to order.

Comment by Ashley – August 9, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited for Haven to begin!

Comment by Krissy – August 9, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Body of Proof the way it was. I liked Peter. I liked Sam and Bud. I liked the small, heartfelt stories. I don’t need world-wide devastation every episode. I’m not sure I going to like this “new” show.

Comment by zaza – August 9, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with that. I liked Body of Proof fine the way it was. The intensity of the last couple of episodes might be fun a few times but it also felt kinda over the top and I’m afraid they will change the show for the worse.

Also I will miss Sam & Bud, really liked them. Peter I can live without…

Now, a better change would be to make Dana Delaneys character a bit more humble and less of an annoying know-it-all! Perhaps send her to Maura Isles and learn how to be an adorable know-it-all and not a complete bitch all the time, heh.

Jeri Ryan & her character however are perfect as always ;)

Comment by Dan – August 9, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since they have making so many changes….Can we get rid of Lacey?

Comment by GeoDiva – August 9, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Peter was Megan’s conscience, and now that he’s dead, Lacey is all she has. Also, the show took a really interesting turn when they gave her diabetes in “Identity”. Critics really liked that they did that and referenced it in future episodes.

Comment by nick1372 – August 9, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL I love Jon Huertas.

Comment by Mari – August 9, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Nikita scoop! I appreciate the fact that even though the show isn’t very well-known or succesful in terms of ratings (in fact it barely escaped cancellation), a lot of sites are still mindful of us fans, providing spoilers for Season 3. And I can’t wait to see who they cast as Amanda’s assassin, a.k.a the “female Roan” – she sounds really cool (and scary) from the description!

Comment by Alex Forrest (@AlexForrest5) – August 9, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We NEED more Esplanie and REAL Esplanie. Not only booty calls. But at least if we can see them for now I take it :) Love them too much. Please more Esplanie scoops soon if you can!! Thank you !!!

Comment by Marine – August 9, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof- I can’t wait!!
    Cougar Town- Why am I not surprised that Jules would do that? :-)
    Castle- Lanie and Esposito were together?

Comment by nick1372 – August 9, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Lanie and Javi were an item throughout the second half of the third season and a few episodes into the beginning of the fourth season. We never knew exactly why they broke up but it’s crystal clear that they still like each other.

Comment by itsmemartu – August 9, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you.

Comment by nick1372 – August 9, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, it’s obvious that the whole “Jenny’s question about marriage scaring them” was a lie. Especially with the way the argued at the beginning of “Cuffed.” They’re not over yet :)

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – August 10, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How weird must it be to be EC-Olsen and kissing/flirting with D-Ruah as Kensi and Deeks, but IRL she is dating his former Navy SEAL (current stunt double) brother. Family get togethers would be weird. “Hey this is my TV girlfriend that i makeout with but is actually my real brothers girlfriend”. lol “and please pass the gravy”.

Comment by M3rc Nate – August 9, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they should film the kissing scenes with his back to the camera so they can swap his bro in? (Kidding, kidding, but yeah. That’s a recipe for awkward right there.)

Comment by Ace – August 9, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe they do? ;)

Comment by megalion – August 10, 2012 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t remember… What ever happened with Andy running for Mayor on Cougar Town?

Comment by The Squatch – August 9, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the NCIS:LA scoop! Love that show and all the characters. Can not wait for it to return! Castle too!

Comment by Jamey – August 10, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed about Eric Dane and Henry Ian Cusick. I can barely remember a time without McSteamy on GA and I will follow Desmond Hume anywhere.

Comment by Jules – August 10, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • White Collar scoop sounds interesting. It’s nice to be sure with a couple for once that the incident isn’t going strain or seperate them like couples on so many shows. I like angsty couples, but it’s refreshing to see uactually in love and content on th.

Comment by Gilda – August 10, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • White Collar scoop sounds interesting. It’s nice to know with this couple that the incident isn’t going strain or seperate them like couples on so many shows. I like angsty couples, but it’s refreshing to see one in love and content on tv.

Comment by Gilda – August 10, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww I wish they had included the deleted Abby/Stephen scenes on the Scandal season DVD.

Comment by Alex – August 29, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I am looking forward to Scandal season 2; however, I am not looking forward to seeing Stephen’s (Henry Ian Cusick) exit. To me, he had such great chemistry with Olivia. He was a confidant and a friend she could rely and lean on.

Comment by Dawn – September 9, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post