Luther Exec Producer Considering Alice-Focused Spin-Off: TV's Most Killer Idea?

Get More: News

There’s a school of thought that says crazy-quirky supporting characters aren’t as appealing when they’re thrust into the center of the action, but I’m willing to bet against conventional wisdom if BBC America greenlights a Luther spin-off centered around brilliant sociopath Alice Morgan (played to delectable perfection by Ruth Wilson).

“The BBC is very interested in the project,” Luther creator and exec producer Neil Cross told Variety. “The only real question would be how many and how often we would do it — whether it would be a one-off miniseries or a returning miniseries, a co-production or not.”

“Even if I didn’t sell this thing, I would still end up writing the miniseries,” Cross went on to say. “It’s something peculiar, but she’s far more clever than me, far more witty than me, far more everything than me.”

Who am I to disagree, especially since, if I did, Alice might sneak into my apartment through the fire escape and threaten to slaughter me with a kitchen blade?

My question is, what would Alice the series look like? When last we saw our red-headed antihero — or just plain hero, if you’re willing to overlook a little matter of unjustified parenticide — she was headed to travel the world (when your titular copper buddy springs you from a mental asylum, it’s best not to stick too close to the scene of your crimes). I’m envisioning a show where Alice jets off to different venues and uses her superior intellect and total lack of conscience to dispense vicious justice to a global stable of ghouls: Think one part Murder She Wrote, one part Dexter, one part HGTV’s House Hunters International –served with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti.

What do you think? Would you watch an Alice spin-off or is she better as a supporting character? And what would be your dream scenario for this most unusual character? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (34)

• Greenlight this show already! Season 2 of Luther really suffered from the lack of Alice, so I’d love to see more of her in any form.

Comment by Floodlit World – August 8, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the best idea would have been to just include Alice in season 3 of Luther. The interaction between Alice and Luther is what makes the show for me. But I guess solo Alice is better than no Alice at all!

Comment by Liz – August 8, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aside from the fact that season two was nowhere near as intense and harrowing as the first was, the fact that they wrote Alice out of the story took so much away from the show in general. Alice and Luther are the epicenter of the character interaction, she’s the Yin to his Yang. He’s a good guy on the verge of darkness, and she’s a bad girl with some hint of good in her. The perfect combination. Take half of that away, and what you get is pretty much half the quality of this show – or season two compared to season one.

So, as much as I would like to see a spinoff with Alice, I’d much rather have her back on “Luther”. The show needs her, badly.

Comment by Lambsilencer – August 8, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t we have both? BBC shows have significantly less episodes, so I say bring her back, because Luther definitely needs her, but then after that season wraps, get to work on a spin off :)

Comment by moobear – August 8, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! And actually, Neil Cross said a reunion may happen at some point either way:

“The great thing is they can survive independently of each other,” he said. “Each of those actors is so kind of secretly magnetic. … He’s able to pull that intense relationship out of many, many actors he’s worked with, and I think Ruth as Alice would be able to do the same.

“I think the first one would probably be a Luther-free zone, because their stories have diverged to a large extent, but there would be nothing to suggest they couldn’t come together again — either by this vehicle or a ‘Luther’ movie.”

:DDD

Comment by f – August 8, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Alice although the actress’ physical resemblance to Emma Stone is a bit distracting.

Comment by TMW – August 8, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keeping Alice and Luther separate from each other is a disservice to both characters.

Comment by David F. – August 8, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like the other comments, I thought season 2 was good but under season 1 due to the lack of Alice, so they definitely should put her on season 3.
    But I definitely for a spinoff with Alice after !!!

By the way, I put Alice in the candidates for the TVLIne election of “the mean girls” !!

Comment by Soso – August 8, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please make this happen! Love Alice.

Comment by Cathy – August 8, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES YES YES

Comment by AW – August 8, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • id still watch, because that character is so intense, but my expectations would be low. …seems like it could turn into highlander the raven

Comment by rob – August 8, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would totally watch! Alice is a really fascinating character and I agree with the others, season 2 of Luthor suffered without her presence.

Comment by Moe – August 8, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Alice back to Luther for season 3 and then have the ultimate coolest dyfunctional modern family complete…

Comment by sladewilson – August 8, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW, This is definitely a killa idea! I too missed Alice in S2 but still enjoyed it very much! My “dream scenario”: While attempting to find the love of her life (obviously it’s Luther) she gets into some trouble and unravels some conspiracy! Alice uses her beauty and brain to off the bad guys. One part Catwoman with a side of Dexter! I know but it’s my dream! Lol

Comment by s. – August 8, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST IDEA. Alice is one of the best and most interesting characters ever created, I’m so excited about this!

Comment by f – August 8, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch, but I don’t understand why Alice isn’t on the original show. Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson have excellent chemistry and the characters they play are wonderfully complex, especially when they’re working together. I just assumed Ruth Wilson wasn’t interested in playing the character anymore, but if she is, why would the writers/producer even consider keeping these two people apart? Doesn’t make sense to me!

Comment by LJ – August 8, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was Wilson’s other commitments that made it difficult for her to shoot Luther.

Comment by Anon – August 5, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also yes, Ruth really plays her to delectable perfection.

Comment by f – August 8, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that it’s a great idea, and I’d watch Ruth Wilson playing Alice reading the phone book, but I have to echo the sentiment that I’d really love to see her on Luther again opposite Idris Elba. The chemistry between her and Elba was what made the show for me.

Comment by DL – August 8, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, Honestly the best part of the show is watching the relationship between Alice and Luther is what makes the show interesting. Besides Luther is the only thing that controls Alice so to do her show right would simply involve her finding creative ways to brutally murder people. And Luther just barely controls her and she is infatuated with him,.

Comment by John – August 8, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaking Brits are TWISTED! Next thing you know, BBCA will want to produce a show about lighting kittens on fire, just so their low-brow American cousins will think they’re “edgy.”

Comment by Idiots – August 8, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Alice, but love her best WITH Luther. She should be back on the dang show!! However, I’d be willing to check her show out, I guess…

Comment by Tina – August 8, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JUST DO IT ALREADY

Comment by Cragg – August 8, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That would be brilliant!

Comment by Meerna – August 9, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABSOLUTELY! I’d watch any spinoff of Luthur. It’s a great show with amazing characters & actors! But I do agree with most of the comments mentioned. Alice and Luthur do have great chemistry between them, but the dynamic relationship between “good & evil” is absolutely captivating. I’ve seen countless shows/movies that center on good vs. evil, but Luthur and Alice take it a step furthur. They are perfect together and I’d like them to stay that way, but I’d still watch anything having to do with either character!

Comment by CWynn – August 9, 2012 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WE NEED TO HAVE ALICE BACK. I adored her, in my own weird way. I say all of my yes to this, BUT, what about Luther? I still don’t think Alice and Luther got as much closure as I wanted. Ruth and Idris’ chemistry was what captivated me. I need more Luther and Alice. Together.

Comment by Lily – August 9, 2012 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Need to have Alice drop in on Luther, but love the idea of her having her own show. Ruth Wilson rocks!

Comment by talismangirl – August 9, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best idea ever. I hate that Alice left in the middle of season 2. I watched that show mostly because of her.

Comment by Dalibor – August 9, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d buy that for a dollar!

Comment by tikkanen10 – August 10, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    So besides Idris Elba’s, Luther, my favorite character is Alice on the BBC miniseries. If they did an Alice spin-off, I would be ALL OVER THAT.

Comment by nguber – August 12, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely love Alice. How about a series that teams her with the character Dexter, since that show is going off the air after this season?

Comment by Paul Herman – August 26, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post