Fall TV Preview

Community Exclusive: Little Britain's Matt Lucas to School the Greendale Gang?

Matt Lucas CommunityIn a move that should make Community fans a little less wary of the Dan Harmon-less Season 4, the show has cast British comedian Matt Lucas in a multi-episode guest-starring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | NBC Boss Open to More Community, Insists Fans Will Get ‘Same Show’ Despite Dan Harmon Ouster

UPDATE: Though earlier intel indicated that Lucas would be playing a history professor who used to teach at Oxford, we have since learned that his role is TBD.

RELATED | The Community Crew (Mae West Included!) Talks Season 4′s Big Change, Stunt-Casts Jeff’s Dad

Best known to American audiences as one of Kristen Wiig’s roommates in Bridesmaids, Lucas made a name for himself in the British sketch comedy series Little Britain. An American version of the show later aired on HBO.

Community‘s fourth season premieres Friday, Oct. 19.

Comments (25)

• NO! F’ING! WAY! *greatest decision ever*

Comment by Emily – August 7, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, yes, yes! Matt Lucas is so darn funny and talented! And I didn’t think the great Community cast could be improved!

Comment by FAINTING FAN! – August 9, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES x100! Love Matt Lucas, and he’ll be great on the show!

Comment by C – August 7, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant choice! I was hoping for John Cleese, but Matt Lucas is perfect for Greendale.

Comment by suzanne – August 7, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate him, so this doesn’t make me less wary at all.

Comment by Taylah – August 7, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here – if anything this makes me more worried that they are dragging the show towards the middleground in order to appeal to the mainstream audiences.

Comment by Gary – August 8, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same here!

Comment by Mal – August 8, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? I’d be interested to know how much of the “mainstream” here in the States even knows who this guy is. I only know him from the occasional interview on a late night talk show, myself.
        Anywho, hm, interesting news. Will be curious to see how that turns out.

Comment by Angela – August 8, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they’re trying to make me a little less nervous…then it’s working.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 7, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hes kinda creepy….

Comment by ed – August 7, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is terrible news.

Lucas is not funny. In fact, he is the opposite of funny. He is super-broad and grating. He is the epitome of cheap catch-phrase humor. Lucas has never seen a cheap joke that he couldn’t run into the ground, nor a punchline that he couldn’t over-deliver

He’s literally the only person on UK TV who is less funny than Catherine Tate. Hell, even James Cordon can act when pushed.

Comment by Oliver – August 7, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Little Britain, it’s just not my sort of comedy. I do however like Matt Lucas being Matt Lucas

Comment by Daniel – August 7, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD!

Comment by Sam – August 7, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wanted anthony head, hated little britain but i do find lucas funny ocassionally so ill see how it goes

Comment by Alan – August 7, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Anthony Head so I’d have literally died if he was chosen. *sigh* This was a nice surprise… I didn’t expect him at all… so him being chosen is sort of a ‘Okay, yeah, fine’. He’s a funny man, a lot of people ignore everything else if they don’t like Little Britain… He seems like a genuinely nice person, a lot of American people won’t really know him maybe bar that guy that was in Bridesmaids briefly so he has a chance to reinvent himself for a new crowd. I see a lot of people forgetting that the writers are also the ones that made the show amazing – and from what I gather all the great writers from previous seasons are coming back this season. People lacking faith for this season are just willing it to doom which leads me to believe that maybe they don’t even want it to succeed . Personally I’m hoping this season will be the best *just* to prove people wrong. :)

Comment by L. – August 8, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i have faith this season will be good but i am hoping that they announce it will be the last so the writers can create a proper ending. i thought lucas was brilliant in bridesmaids but i despise little britain so i really hope his performance is more of the former

Comment by Alan – August 8, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And so the downfall begins… :(

Comment by Jack Parry – August 7, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We already had a British professor, Ian Duncan (John Oliver) who is actually funny. This feels like it will only be “lowest common denominator” funny, which makes me even more wary about Harmon’s exit from the show.

Comment by Carmen (@moonsides) – August 7, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh boo! Love community, can’t stand matt lucas :-(

Comment by Amanda – August 7, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Lucas on Community! Yah! But, no but, yah but, no but, yah but…

Comment by Niko Batallones – August 7, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no. Of all the British actors they could have cast why him. I bet some people find him funny, but i do not see the appeal at all. He irritates me to the extreme. so I hope he won’t be present the entire season.

Comment by John – August 7, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to pretend Community ended after season 3 so I don’t have to watch the impending sacrilege.

Comment by Enn – August 7, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Even if you were excited about the possibilities after the season three finale, at this point it doesn’t matter. A Harmon-less Community is basically fan-fiction now.

Comment by Carmen (@moonsides) – August 8, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want TBD. Is it new?

Comment by Mark – August 8, 2012 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was secretly pushing for David Tennant, but hope remains eternal. There is a Inspector Spacetime Convention coming up . . .

Comment by Anneka Jameson – August 8, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post