Exclusive

Community Exclusive: Little Britain's Matt Lucas to School the Greendale Gang?

Matt Lucas CommunityIn a move that should make Community fans a little less wary of the Dan Harmon-less Season 4, the show has cast British comedian Matt Lucas in a multi-episode guest-starring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | NBC Boss Open to More Community, Insists Fans Will Get ‘Same Show’ Despite Dan Harmon Ouster

UPDATE: Though earlier intel indicated that Lucas would be playing a history professor who used to teach at Oxford, we have since learned that his role is TBD.

RELATED | The Community Crew (Mae West Included!) Talks Season 4’s Big Change, Stunt-Casts Jeff’s Dad

Best known to American audiences as one of Kristen Wiig’s roommates in Bridesmaids, Lucas made a name for himself in the British sketch comedy series Little Britain. An American version of the show later aired on HBO.

Community‘s fourth season premieres Friday, Oct. 19.

1. Emily says:

NO! F’ING! WAY! *greatest decision ever*

• FAINTING FAN! says:

Yes, yes, yes! Matt Lucas is so darn funny and talented! And I didn’t think the great Community cast could be improved!

2. C says:

YES x100! Love Matt Lucas, and he’ll be great on the show!

3. suzanne says:

Brilliant choice! I was hoping for John Cleese, but Matt Lucas is perfect for Greendale.

4. Taylah says:

I hate him, so this doesn’t make me less wary at all.

• Gary says:

Same here – if anything this makes me more worried that they are dragging the show towards the middleground in order to appeal to the mainstream audiences.

• Mal says:

Same here!

• Angela says:

Really? I’d be interested to know how much of the “mainstream” here in the States even knows who this guy is. I only know him from the occasional interview on a late night talk show, myself.
        Anywho, hm, interesting news. Will be curious to see how that turns out.

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

If they’re trying to make me a little less nervous…then it’s working.

6. ed says:

hes kinda creepy….

7. Oliver says:

This is terrible news.

Lucas is not funny. In fact, he is the opposite of funny. He is super-broad and grating. He is the epitome of cheap catch-phrase humor. Lucas has never seen a cheap joke that he couldn’t run into the ground, nor a punchline that he couldn’t over-deliver

He’s literally the only person on UK TV who is less funny than Catherine Tate. Hell, even James Cordon can act when pushed.

8. Daniel says:

I don’t like Little Britain, it’s just not my sort of comedy. I do however like Matt Lucas being Matt Lucas

9. Sam says:

OH MY GOD!

10. Alan says:

wanted anthony head, hated little britain but i do find lucas funny ocassionally so ill see how it goes

• L. says:

I love Anthony Head so I’d have literally died if he was chosen. *sigh* This was a nice surprise… I didn’t expect him at all… so him being chosen is sort of a ‘Okay, yeah, fine’. He’s a funny man, a lot of people ignore everything else if they don’t like Little Britain… He seems like a genuinely nice person, a lot of American people won’t really know him maybe bar that guy that was in Bridesmaids briefly so he has a chance to reinvent himself for a new crowd. I see a lot of people forgetting that the writers are also the ones that made the show amazing – and from what I gather all the great writers from previous seasons are coming back this season. People lacking faith for this season are just willing it to doom which leads me to believe that maybe they don’t even want it to succeed . Personally I’m hoping this season will be the best *just* to prove people wrong. :)

• Alan says:

i have faith this season will be good but i am hoping that they announce it will be the last so the writers can create a proper ending. i thought lucas was brilliant in bridesmaids but i despise little britain so i really hope his performance is more of the former

11. Jack Parry says:

And so the downfall begins… :(

12. We already had a British professor, Ian Duncan (John Oliver) who is actually funny. This feels like it will only be “lowest common denominator” funny, which makes me even more wary about Harmon’s exit from the show.

13. Amanda says:

Oh boo! Love community, can’t stand matt lucas :-(

14. Matt Lucas on Community! Yah! But, no but, yah but, no but, yah but…

15. John says:

no. Of all the British actors they could have cast why him. I bet some people find him funny, but i do not see the appeal at all. He irritates me to the extreme. so I hope he won’t be present the entire season.

16. Enn says:

I’m going to pretend Community ended after season 3 so I don’t have to watch the impending sacrilege.

17. Mark says:

I want TBD. Is it new?

18. I was secretly pushing for David Tennant, but hope remains eternal. There is a Inspector Spacetime Convention coming up . . .