TVLine Items: Sharon Osbourne Leaving AGT, Laura Bell Bundy to Woo Dixie Guy and More!
After fueling rumors of her departure via Twitter, the AGT judge is making her intention to leave the NBC reality competition series (loud and) clear.
“It’s time to move on,” she tells the New York Post. Despite being under contract, Osbourne says, “They can’t make me do something I don’t want to do. All they can do is stop me from being a judge on another network for five years.”
She explains that the decision was fueled by the firing of her son, Jack — who recently revealed he has multiple sclerosis — from the Peacock network’s new reality series Stars Earn Stripes by email just two days before he was to report to work.
“I just can’t be fake,” she added. “It’s discrimination, and it was badly handled.”
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Nothing heals a broken heart like a new love. To that end, the CW’s Hart of Dixie has cast Broadway star Laura Bell Bundy — whose TV credits include How I Met Your Mother and Veronica Mars — as a potential love interest for George in at least two episodes next season, per HuffPost TV.
• The animated comedies Archer and Bob’s Burgers will cross over on the FX spy series next season, H. Jon Benjamin, who voices both main characters, reveals to EW.com. “It’s like a Bourne Identity-type plotline,” he tells the site. “It starts off with Archer as Bob, making hamburgers, but he doesn’t know that he’s Archer.”
• Richard E. Grant (Doctor Who: Scream of the Shalka) and Tom Ward (the BBC series Silent Witness) have been tapped for the Doctor Who Christmas special airing later this year, reports EW.com.
• Tyra Banks has enlisted singer Alicia Keys and filmmaker Tyler Perry as mentors on the next edition of America’s Next Top Model (premiering Aug. 24 on The CW), per TVGuide.com. Additionally, 90210 star Shenae Grimes will appear as the contestants’ celebrity photographer.
• Lifetime has ordered 10 episodes of Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition, featuring Dance Moms maven Abby Lee Miller.
• The final season of Travel Channel’s Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations will debut Sept. 3 at 9/8c.
• ABC has bought a Romeo and Juliet-esque drama from executive producer McG (The O.C., Supernatural), and it’ll be written by Byron Balasco (Detroit 1-8-7), according to Deadline. The untitled project is set in Venice, Calif., where a forbidden romance emerges as two rival families fight for control of the city.
• NBC is getting back into business with Life creator Rand Ravich, giving a put-pilot commitment to his untitled action thriller, per The Hollywood Reporter. The potential series centers on an idealistic Secret Service agent who gets caught up in an international crisis on his first day on the job, forcing him to cross moral and legal lines.
• FX has signed a script-development deal with music mogul Dr. Dre and writer Sidney Quashi for a drama pilot set in the Los Angeles music and crime scenes, per The Hollywood Reporter.
• Hannah’s boy-toy on Girls, Adam, is getting a new love interest in Season 2. Shiri Appleby (Life Unexpected) will play a beautiful and charming New Yorker who adores the guy despite his sexual tendencies, reports Deadline.
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?